Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I wonder how many folks get that one ;)

I was waiting :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

What time of the day is your blood pressure at it's lowest?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

frosty123 wrote: »

When you’re asleep

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

...and when you're awake?

...and when you're awake?

its going to be individual, any GP worth their salt wont generally rely on a one off reading, they will get you to wear a 24 hr monitor if they wanted the data to help diagnose something. There are confounders like "white coat syndrome" where people's blood pressure rises by virtue of being in a GP surgery

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,832 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Guys, I’m looking spend a few quid on setting up a bit of a home gym...

I currently have..

Exercise bike..

Weights..

Bosu Ball..

Resistance bands..

Cross trainer..

My next big purchase is a treadmill.. I was looking at MC sport and was keen to know if anybody has bought any equipment or stuff from them, any opinions... good bad or indifferent ? If negative a pm would be appreciated...probably over having to criticize on thread. Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Met a polish guy today who was just back from underground gym :D secret knock job , anyways we got chatting about fitness and stuff he used to be a personal trainer in Poland .
    In summary
    He reckons you can't get big or muscular at home with a barbell and dumbells you need machines , loads of machine to isolate muscles lift really heavy and eat 6 chicken breasts a day .
    Don't do deadlifts at all - risk/reward with injury is just not worth it .
    Don't squat - use leg press machine .
    Basically without machines you'll never progress and only lift 3 days a week .
    Is that all bro science or has he a point . I don't necessarily want to get big but is it possible to make the same gains at home as someone in gym , if you have barbell and dumbells ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Met a polish guy today who was just back from underground gym :D secret knock job , anyways we got chatting about fitness and stuff he used to be a personal trainer in Poland .
    In summary
    He reckons you can't get big or muscular at home with a barbell and dumbells you need machines , loads of machine to isolate muscles lift really heavy and eat 6 chicken breasts a day .
    Is that all bro science or has he a point . I don't necessarily want to get big but is it possible to make the same gains at home as someone in gym , if you have barbell and dumbells ?

Pretty much just a men's health article from the early 2000s haha.

It's all bro science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

In summary

Total Bro Science.

silverharp wrote: »
    any GP worth their salt wont generally rely on a one off reading, they will get you to wear a 24 hr monitor if they wanted the data to help diagnose something. There are confounders like "white coat syndrome" where people's blood pressure rises by virtue of being in a GP surgery

my GP wrote down "hypertension", I said that sounds bad could you write down above average blood pressure instead...he said NO! "I'm using the medical term" was he a bit mean? I mean the job application could hinge on this...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Met a polish guy today who was just back from underground gym secret knock job , anyways we got chatting about fitness and stuff he used to be a personal trainer in Poland .
    In summary

The way it's presented there it's not "true" in the strict sense.

There's no reason you can't get big with no machines and a home set-up, particularly if you have access to a barbell, bench and rack as well as dumbbells.

The claim about strength doesn't really make much sense, I'm not sure how someone who trains only on machines could definitively be determined to be "stronger". What, we have a leg press competition? Maybe, stranger things have happened.

But if you take some of his claims then if they were coached in a different way they are not total nonsense.

If your goal was purely hypertrophy, and in particular if you wanted to train using some bodybuilding approaches machines do make a lot of sense as a big chunk of your training.

If doing rest/pause or anything involving real blood or guts failure then there are a lot of times a machine could work better than a barbell, and be safer. There's some lower body movements you would have to have them to do real rest/pause work.

If you're doing drop sets they're much handier than free weights. Even without a partner, particularly on a selectorised machine.

For forced reps you need machines and a partner to train the way some pro bodybuilders do. If you look at videos of Dorian Yates training people this gives you an absolute masterclass in what this looks like.

It is hard to find free weight alternatives to particular machines like leg curls, leg extensions and hack squats that allow you to do a lot of volume for leg size without beating up your lower back. If you're training purely for size you will still do your free weight lifts but when you're doing squatting and so you would then go and still do a **** load of volume on the lower body machines. At home you can do single leg exercises and things but it's not the same.

Probably the most controversial thing I'll say, but a lot of bodybuilders are probably right that if someone's sole goal is hypertrophy and overall size then depending on their body type and limb lengths they might be better served by not squatting, deadlifting etc and instead find movements that allow them to really train particular muscles in a meaningful, heavy way, with proper mind-muscle connection. Leg presses, hack squat, leg extension, leg curl and calf raises have developed a lot of big legs for people who may or may not also use a barbell.

With regards to the comments about deadlifting and the risk-reward ratio... Yeah, I personally don't buy into this idea but to be honest if I could never deadlift off the floor again and I could only do RDL, stiff legged deadlift, leg curl etc. and various exercises for back thickness then I doubt I'd lose any size (if that was the only concern).

As for leg press versus squat... Again, wouldn't be for me, I see no reason it is either / or.

I guess finally what I will say is that if there is a focus on hypertrophy / size then maybe the new conventional wisdom that compound barbell movements are the be-all and end-all have become the "bro science" of today. And I say that as a mainly barbell guy. So many people with poor leverages will be doing high bar squats or front squats until the cows come home thinking they are building their quads when really the machines they like to laugh at, like the leg extension, might be just what they need a little of...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In summary

Was his name Dom?

Did he mention reps for Jesus?

my GP wrote down "hypertension", I said that sounds bad could you write down above average blood pressure instead...he said NO! "I'm using the medical term" was he a bit mean? I mean the job application could hinge on this...

late to the thread, why what's your blood pressure?

it's supposed to be lower early in the day but it can fluctuate anytime.
    Spinach and beetroot have nitrates in them, which relaxes blood vessels and smooth muscle tissue. This is why people use amyl nitrate for anal sex, the sphincter totally relaxes.

this sounds mental on a gym training thread I know..anyway the affects of taking beetroot and spinach can last for 6 hours in terms of dropping your systolic blood pressure anyway and taken a few days a week, can help pull it back as long as you eat the stuff of nitrates...

worth a shot. and yes no coffee, tons of water and relax, through the nose at all time as you breathe.

rusty cole wrote: »
    late to the thread, why what's your blood pressure?

155/80 ish

Was his name Dom?

Did he mention reps for Jesus?

No he was funny guy though , he says most Irish guys are just fat they don't know how to train they have 10kg dumbells and do 20 reps , you need a bit f@#king weight that you can only lift 3 times .
    I showed him my failed squat video :D he wasn't impressed " too slow " too lazy , no loud music, standing around too long , just f@&king do it .
    Then he says " you married yeah " what do you do if you walk down street with wife and a man takes her off you ? Not much if you can't squat 95kg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No he was funny guy though , he says most Irish guys are just fat they don't know how to train they have 10kg dumbells and do 20 reps , you need a bit f@#king weight that you can only lift 3 times .
    I showed him my failed squat video :D he wasn't impressed " too slow " too lazy , no loud music, standing around too long , just f@&king do it .
    Then he says " you married yeah " what do you do if you walk down street with wife and a man takes her off you ? Not much if you can't squat 95kg :D

Sounds like a twat.

155/80 ish

I’m warning here: no medical advice. These are questions for a doctor

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m warning here: no medical advice. These are questions for a doctor

c'mon nobody is giving medical advice, or dispensing medicine, it's a question about blood pressure not a "what can I take for my blood pressure" going forward.

but that was my one and only contribution on that level to be fair ok.

separately to this and on track, is the "sleeper stretch" good or bad for the shoulder?? question to the floor

rusty cole wrote: »
    c'mon nobody is giving medical advice, or dispensing medicine, it's a question about blood pressure not a "what can I take for my blood pressure" going forward.

but that was my one and only contribution on that level to be fair ok.

separately to this and on track, is the "sleeper stretch" good or bad for the shoulder?? question to the floor

please don't argue with moderation I'm the thread. Any further comments or questions, PM me.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

there is a guy Brignole who promotes not focusing on big lifts , I dont know what exactly he promotes but I'd guess he would be into something like a weighted sissy squat but much lower weights than a conventional back squat?

silverharp wrote: »
    there is a guy Brignole who promotes not focusing on big lifts , I dont know what exactly he promotes but I'd guess he would be into something like a weighted sissy squat but much lower weights than a conventional back squat?

Doug Brignole. He's not the only one, and I think there is a slow shift back towards a recognition that for hypertrophy / physique goals the bodybuilding stuff that has been derided for the last few years has a lot of value.

I laid out the thinking in my post on the previous page, but basically, yeah, people like Paul Carter make the case that isolation exercises, often using machines, allow for some really effective training protocols that free weights don't, and encourage a more easy establishment of a mind-muscle connection with particular body part you're trying to train and grow.

He's not ****ting on compound barbell lifts, he still uses them if the person has the right leverages to be able to use them effectively for hypertrophy purposes, but people don't understand that the same things that make a compound barbell lift a great all-rounder mean that there is a time and a place where it is not the best choice / has inherent limitations. The example I gave is where someone is high bar squatting or front squatting and they think they're hammering their quads when really they might be far better off using a medley of machine work either in lieu or to accrue useful volume after their barbell work is done.

Carter is a big fan of the sissy squat, believes it is a very useful movement, there's some stuff on his IG about performing them.

It seems like people like to say things are rubbish, and then 10-15 years later the zeitgeist says those things are no longer rubbish, in fact they're rather good, and it goes on and on. It goes on and on. I like Stefi Cohen's view that "Everything works, and nothing works".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

In summary

People like this are well-intentioned, but if you listen to every guy who comes along with a hot take on training, you’ll end up going nowhere. Short answer is he’s wrong.

Somehow people managed to get big and strong for all the years before the advent of machines. That should tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

:rolleyes: It might be ok - she might be able to squat 95kg herself (or, you know, just think and act independently, do what she wants herself, and not be controlled by men)

:rolleyes: It might be ok - she might be able to squat 95kg herself (or, you know, just think and act independently, do what she wants herself, and not be controlled by men)

As I said to your man listen if anyone takes my wife they'll soon return her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No he wasnt mean. You have hypertension.
    If that excludes you from the job, there may be a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Probably the most controversial thing I'll say, but a lot of bodybuilders are probably right that if someone's sole goal is hypertrophy and overall size then depending on their body type and limb lengths they might be better served by not squatting, deadlifting etc and instead find movements that allow them to really train particular muscles in a meaningful, heavy way, with proper mind-muscle connection. Leg presses, hack squat, leg extension, leg curl and calf raises have developed a lot of big legs for people who may or may not also use a barbell.

it's definitely possible to train effectively with machines. And in some instances they offer benefits over free weights. If the guy said you don't need free weights to get big, he wouldn't be wrong.
    But that's not what he said. He said you can't get big without machines. That's just wrong.

[QUOTE=new2tri19

Then he says " you married yeah " what do you do if you walk down street with wife and a man takes her off you ? Not much if you can't squat 95kg [/QUOTE]

I think the funniest part of the story is the fact that he thinks an overloaded leg-press turns him into a walking weapon. Guys really do have weird impression of self.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    it's definitely possible to train effectively with machines. And in some instances they offer benefits over free weights. If the guy said you don't need free weights to get big, he wouldn't be wrong.
    But that's not what he said. He said you can't get big without machines. That's just wrong.

I think the funniest part of the story is the fact that he thinks an overloaded leg-press turns him into a walking weapon. Guys really do have weird impression of self.

Asking someone how much they can leg press is akin to asking them how much Monopoly money they have.

If you were limited to a 180mm bar because of space and we're given the choice, would you prefer a shorter bar in the middle with a narrower rack, or a normal rack and shorter sleeves?

I'm a pretty normal 65kg guy and wouldn't be using the full sleeves of any bar ever. Are there any disadvantages of a shorter bar and narrower rack?

• Advertisement

If you were limited to a 180mm bar because of space and we're given the choice, would you prefer a shorter bar in the middle with a narrower rack, or a normal rack and shorter sleeves?

I'm a pretty normal 65kg guy and wouldn't be using the full sleeves of any bar ever. Are there any disadvantages of a shorter bar and narrower rack?

I’m struggling a little bit with what you’re asking, but I’d tend to suggest getting a normal sized rack either way, assuming you ever might want to sell it on.

I have quite a narrow rack, and it won’t rack certain speciality bars, it’s a pain.

When you say a shorter bar are you talking something like a Blk Box stinger bar?

Advertisement