Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone know why DERRYGULLINANE KINGBULL is gone from Munster AI & Progessive Genetics?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Baalbec10

How do you know he is gone from progressive?

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    How do you know he is gone from progressive?

He was taken down from both their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Guys what saler bulls are you using? Someone told me there’s a quiet strain of them. I know I swore never to let another one into the yard but I’m considering the dark side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Guys what saler bulls are you using? Someone told me there’s a quiet strain of them. I know I swore never to let another one into the yard but I’m considering the dark side

Join the dark side... they’re a great animal! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ha im in the same boat here. Beguin has pretty positive reviews but is €26 per straw so im going to be starved and use his son knottstown roy at €8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I've had three Ulsan (though he's gone now I think) Two heifers off quiet heifers & one bull off a wilder one. The heifers are the sweetest, quietest animals in the shed (both kept on for cows) but the bull was always a bit flighty. So I'd be hesitant to use Salers again on a wilder cow/heifer. Personally wouldn't read much into docility figures, would have more belief in quiet cows breeding quiet as the calves learn that humans aren't all bad. .

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Join the dark side... they’re a great animal! :D

Don’t get too excited we’re talking small scale

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Baalbec10

Anyone know why DERRYGULLINANE KINGBULL is gone from Munster AI & Progessive Genetics?

Confirmed kingbull is out of stock, will be back in stock in 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

The 2020 Bova catalogue is up on their Facebook page.

tanko wrote: »
    The 2020 Bova catalogue is up on their Facebook page.

No escalop!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Sagesse Pierre was a gorgeous bull when I seen him in tullamore. Definitely getting a few straws of him for a few pb’s

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Sagesse Pierre was a gorgeous bull when I seen him in tullamore. Definitely getting a few straws of him for a few pb’s

what was it about him that stood out? I saw him there too and he didn't catch my eye only for the fact he had ribbons on him and was done up to the nines! I find a lot of those Charolais cattle at shows have so much soap and product on them that it kind of takes away from them as a whole

Scary calving figure.

• Advertisement

Scary calving figure.

Fortune favors the brave Patsy ;)

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Fortune favors the brave Patsy ;)

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Scary calving figure.

Picks that up from the bull he's off. Pity we can't see more into those figures to see what was the cows/heifers he was used on. Doesn't seem like Maerdy Sinndar was used commercially much so maybe that's why his calving difficulty is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Seanhorse91

what was it about him that stood out? I saw him there too and he didn't catch my eye only for the fact he had ribbons on him and was done up to the nines! I find a lot of those Charolais cattle at shows have so much soap and product on them that it kind of takes away from them as a whole

He just carried himself with class I thought. Not overly muscled and had fine strong legs under him. Think he’d put them proper French Charolais traits back into my cows.

New Prestige catalogues up also now for PG/Munster AI ;

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/downloads

• Advertisement

New Prestige catalogues up also now for PG/Munster AI ;

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/downloads

In your opinion what's the best maternal lm bull munster have?

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    In your opinion what's the best maternal lm bull munster have?

Bavardage (AGB) was a great bull but poor on fertility.
    Funny, but I was just looking through the new Gene Ireland catalogue for 2020 and they have a new bull IX (LM5983). His breeding is Bavardage and Neuf. Neuf was good for fertility. At €5 a straw, he's nearly worth a gamble.
    Bavardage was €60 but no longer available.

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=13210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

He has style and power and super legs to carry weight, and caught the eye straight away and moved very well and looked full French. Have straws order of him.

Funny, but I was just looking through the new Gene Ireland catalogue for 2020 and they have a new bull IX (LM5983). His breeding is Bavardage and Neuf. Neuf was good for fertility. At €5 a straw, he's nearly worth a gamble.

Thats exactly it with with the lm. Ive a couple of saler cows here and the smell of the bull and they are incalf. Cheers for that.

Careful with anything Neuf I had a bull from him and he was very flighty and fresh. Excellent calves and not hard calved though. I kept the two lightest heifers off him and they have two lovely calves now and as quiet as lambs

The very first PB Lim heifer I bought is by Neuf. She's a bit temperamental alright, especially at calving but she's a great breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

do you mean his daughters have bad fertility patsy??

High bike wrote: »
    do you mean his daughters have bad fertility patsy??

Ya, that's going by the ICBF figures. I've 2 Bavardage bulls here. Was hoping for some heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Ya, that's going by the ICBF figures. I've 2 Bavardage bulls here. Was hoping for some heifers.
    got a heifer here last year and didn’t think much of her but she really turned inside out over the winter,going to chance her and see

The very first PB Lim heifer I bought is by Neuf. She's a bit temperamental alright, especially at calving but she's a great breeder.

Yea a well known breeder was at the sale when we let that bull on and he was asking about the breeding. I told him to get his hand up! He was saying a Neuf female is a great job but males can be flighty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Looking for options on good muscle BB with PG for tall red SI/LM/LM cow

Yea a well known breeder was at the sale when we let that bull on and he was asking about the breeding. I told him to get his hand up! He was saying a Neuf female is a great job but males can be flighty

I remember Doreen Corrigan of the Roundhill Herd saying it once too, that everyone loved their Nuef cows.

Well I just ordered 10 straws of the Limousin bull IX (LM5983) from Gene Ireland. I'll try 1 or 2 this year and see how they go. Can't complain at €5 each.

Some french info on him from the Evolution webpage;
    http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bull/34/FR1937361674/alt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Well I just ordered 10 straws of the Limousin bull IX (LM5983) from Gene Ireland. I'll try 1 or 2 this year and see how they go. Can't complain at €5 each.

Some french info on him from the Evolution webpage;
    http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bull/34/FR1937361674/alt

I used gene Ireland few years ago. Thought at the time all the straws had to be used in the subsequent breeding season and you couldn’t carry them over. That kind of turned me off it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I used gene Ireland few years ago. Thought at the time all the straws had to be used in the subsequent breeding season and you couldn’t carry them over. That kind of turned me off it a bit.

I was tempted until I read the t&c, now what they can do if you don’t use them what can they do? Demand the straws back?

Looking for options on good muscle BB with PG for tall red SI/LM/LM cow

DBZ isn't a bad bull at all on big cows. He's easy calved for a blue anyway..

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I was tempted until I read the t&c, now what they can do if you don’t use them what can they do? Demand the straws back?

Jeez, there's no way I will use the full amount anyway. That's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Jeez, there's no way I will use the full amount anyway. That's for sure.

At a fiver, use two at a time:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    At a fiver, use two at a time:D

Maybe the next time, I'll read the T&C more carefully.

• Advertisement

3.1 The herd owner shall use all semen ordered in the current breeding season.

7. Both ICBF and the herd owner may terminate the services at any time upon giving the other at least 30 days notice in writing. In addition ICBF may terminate the services immediately by notice in writing to the herd owner if the herd owner breaches any of these conditions or:
    7.2 the herd owner does anything which in ICBF's opinion, damages or has the potential to damage ICBF's reputation or the reputation of the services.

You're f****d Patsy:D:D

Christ, they should be paying us to test their bulls........not the other way around. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    DBZ isn't a bad bull at all on big cows. He's easy calved for a blue anyway..

Used him, so hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

Maybe the next time, I'll read the T&C more carefully.

ive bought loads of them over hte last few years and only used a handful, no one ever complained to me so dont think they care once they are sold

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Durrus Boy

annubis wrote: »
    ive bought loads of them over hte last few years and only used a handful, no one ever complained to me so dont think they care once they are sold

I second this, purchase away, must have 30+ straws from GI bulls still in the flask. They just want them gone and will only hound you for any insemination dates.
    On an aside, has anyone ever purchased a bull from ICBF/GI??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    I second this, purchase away, must have 30+ straws from GI bulls still in the flask. They just want them gone and will only hound you for any insemination dates.
    On an aside, has anyone ever purchased a bull from ICBF/GI??

considered throwing in a bid a few times but never bothered in the end

• Advertisement

Can straws from the older Gene Ireland test bulls still be got?

annubis wrote: »

Thanks. Kinda what I was thinking myself anyway. What are they going to do, if you don't use them all in the one year? People wouldn't buy them in the first place, if they hadn't planned on using some of them.

Christ, they should be paying us to test their bulls........not the other way around. :rolleyes:

If I remember right, ICBF used to pay the farmer €20 for every insemination of a Gene Ireland bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Have three Lmx heifers that I want/need to AI as they are from my own bull and was thinking of giving the three of them Clonagh Frosty King in the hope that I might get a nice replacement from one or two of them. They are strong heifers and will be over 30 months when calving down. ICBF have calving difficulty at 6.7%.
    Appreciate your thoughts on using Frosty King and if CD is too high?

Parishlad wrote: »
    Have three Lmx heifers that I want/need to AI as they are from my own bull and was thinking of giving the three of them Clonagh Frosty King in the hope that I might get a nice replacement from one or two of them. They are strong heifers and will be over 30 months when calving down. ICBF have calving difficulty at 6.7%.
    Appreciate your thoughts on using Frosty King and if CD is too high?

That 6.7% Heifer Calving - is 9 percentile (bottom 10%) within breed and 18 percentile across breed at 79% reliability. So very easy calving.
    However the Munster Bovine catalogue say to use him on second calvers........hard to know.

ZAG, by comparision is 8.2% heifer calving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement