Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭4odh4n

Need to renew the kids passports, but want to remove their second name from the passport, just hav their first name and surname, can I do this online?, does it give u the option to enter the name u want to appear on the passport (as it does on the paper application) or will it just re-issue with the names as used on their last passports?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭irishfemme

Actually, I did something wrong, I made a mistake and chose fresh application, instead of a renewal. I didnt need the garda to sign afterall.passport came within 5 working days.
    I still needed the affidavit and you will always need that for every renewal.
    irishfemme wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I actually thought I did something wrong when I saw I needed an affidavit for my child's passport renewal, also I thought there was no need for the guards to sign? But they do!.
    I guess the only good part is the savings on passport photographs cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Actually, I did something wrong, I made a mistake and chose fresh application, instead of a renewal. I didnt need the garda to sign afterall.passport came within 5 working days.
    I still needed the affidavit and you will always need that for every renewal.

Fair play to you for coming back to rectify your post. It’s a good tip for other parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I have applied online for a first time passport. I'm trying getting together the documents I need. I have the cover page, identity verification form and birth cert. It says on the email I received that I need documents to verify citizenship. What can I send for this? Will a copy of my driving license be enough to prove my name and address? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭irishfemme

If you were born in Ireland, to Irish Parents, a birth certificate would be sufficient,
    if not, then the means in which you got your citizenship would need to be ascertained. A naturalisation certificate, or parents passport would need to be sent in. A driving license isn't enough to verify citizenship.
    I have applied online for a first time passport. I'm trying getting together the documents I need. I have the cover page, identity verification form and birth cert. It says on the email I received that I need documents to verify citizenship. What can I send for this? Will a copy of my driving license be enough to prove my name and address? Thanks.

• Advertisement

If you were born in Ireland, to Irish Parents, a birth certificate would be sufficient,
    if not, then the means in which you got your citizenship would need to be ascertained. A naturalisation certificate, or parents passport would need to be sent in. A driving license isn't enough to verify citizenship.

Yes I was born in Ireland to Irish parents. It says on the sheet to bring government issued photo ID (ill use driving license). It also says I need proof of name and address. Would the driving license not cover these as it has my name and address is on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If it’s post 2005 I think he needs to prove that his parents are Irish, ie parents pre 2005 birth certificate or passport. There should be a page of your pdf called “first passport documents” that lists your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yes I was born in Ireland to Irish parents. It says on the sheet to bring government issued photo ID (ill use driving license). It also says I need proof of name and address. Would the driving license not cover these as it has my name and address is on them

No it needs to be 3 separate docs, photo ID for photo ID, utility bill etc for proof of name, different doc for proof of address

If it’s post 2005 I think he needs to prove that his parents are Irish, ie parents pre 2005 birth certificate or passport. There should be a page of your pdf called “first passport documents” that lists your options.

Are you sure id need their information? I’m over 18

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Just your one is fine if you were born in Ireland before 2005...which I presume you were.

• Advertisement

Just your one is fine if you were born in Ireland before 2005...which I presume you were.

Yes I was thanks for thatðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Any idea how to get original proof of address documents from over two years ago? Trying to get passport back to original name after getting married and passport office require something over two years old. Traveling the end of this month.

Will the revenue give you something if you go in to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jet Black wrote: »
    Any idea how to get original proof of address documents from over two years ago? Trying to get passport back to original name after getting married and passport office require something over two years old. Traveling the end of this month.

Will the revenue give you something if you go in to them?
    Do proof of address things not need to be quite recent? Usually 3 or 6 months at most?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

salmocab wrote: »
    Do proof of address things not need to be quite recent? Usually 3 or 6 months at most?

Its different for proof of name, usually proof of usage dated 2 years old. OP, I'd say try contact Revnue or others and explain situation and they may be able to reissue statements from then

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Whamjam

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Apologies, I was sure I read somewhere that online was only for renewals

Online is definitely for renewals only. First time no

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Whamjam wrote: »
    Online is definitely for renewals only. First time no

This is incorrect. You can apply online for a first time passport

You apply online with your digital photo. You’re sent an ID verification form to be signed and then you can post the necessary documents in

But you can absolutely apply for a passport online if you’re doing it for the first time

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/whocanapply/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Applied for my daughters first passport online last week. I sent in both mine and my husbands passports along with her birth certificate. Received her passport back yesterday but our passports and her birth cert weren’t in the envelope. Are they posted back separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

natc wrote: »
    Applied for my daughters first passport online last week. I sent in both mine and my husbands passports along with her birth certificate. Received her passport back yesterday but our passports and her birth cert weren’t in the envelope. Are they posted back separately?

May be posted separately for security reasons.

May be posted separately for security reasons.

I rang and these are checked manually and posted back at a later date as they are experiencing delays with them. No mention that they are retuned separate on their website and how long it can take. We are flying on March 1st so she said she has them marked as urgent and next time someone checks the list they should see it and get them sorted. Told to call back next Monday if I haven’t received them before then...not very reassuring!!

I don’t understand why they aren’t sent back at the same time as passport is issued. Don’t know what other checks are done on them after issuing child’s passport....it’s a bit late to come across something at that stage?! After all they were issued by the very same office...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Im applying for newborn’s first passport.

Photo - ok to get this done digitally?

Form signEd by guards - does need to be done also?

sorry but have seen contradictory details on the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The form needs to be signed by the guards. I'm unsure about the photo.

McSween wrote: »
    Im applying for newborn’s first passport.

Photo - ok to get this done digitally?

Form signEd by guards - does need to be done also?

sorry but have seen contradictory details on the above.

Depends if it’s online or paper application. I did my child’s first passport online last month. Photos were taken digitally and a code was issued to upload them to the submission when filling out the form online.

Verification form generated at the end must be printed and signed by guards as it’s the first application, and both parents (if applicable) must sign it in front of guards also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Had to do the same as natc recently. Used digital photos ensuring white background but they are converted to B&W if memory serves right. Once application was completed, print out a 3 page form, get it signed by guards (although there are other reputable people who can also do it I think but the Garda stamp is more formal I feel). Then send off the application by free post.

Had to do the same as natc recently. Used digital photos ensuring white background but they are converted to B&W if memory serves right. Once application was completed, print out a 3 page form, get it signed by guards (although there are other reputable people who can also do it I think but the Garda stamp is more formal I feel). Then send off the application by free post.

They can be signed by a crèche manager I think, which actually makes a lot of sense as they actually know the child.

salmocab wrote: »
    They can be signed by a crèche manager I think, which actually makes a lot of sense as they actually know the child.

Yes but original poster said it was baby’s first passport. In that case it must be a Garda that signs and witnesses the form.

Yes but original poster said it was baby’s first passport. In that case it must be a Garda that signs and witnesses the form.

Ah right, we redone my sons last year and just needed the crèche manager to sign the print off that they give you. I’ve said it before here, the passport office have played a blinder with the online applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This is true for all first time applicants

There’s a long list of people who can witness the form for first time applications for most renewals
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-get-your-application-witnessed/

but first timers must be Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Hi. Hoping for some help.
    We have completed the forms for the first applications for the kids passports (paper forms not online) and are wondering if they can be sent all together and payment made in one? Or they have to go seperately?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

I renewed online Monday the 17th , uploaded photo , was initially approved , got an email about an hour later telling me I was looking down in the photo , took another photo and submitted it , passport book arrived on Wednesday the 19th , passport card arrived this morning , wish all governments were this efficient .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

You take them to the post office. They take the payment in one go and send them off for you.

Advertisement