Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Games Have You Completed? (2020 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Kid Icarus Uprising on 3ds.
    I enjoyed it for the most part apart from the most annoying recurring enemy, the controls.
    D'you play it with that stand they packed in? Is it super necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I played on a New 3ds XL and didn't use the stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Finished Pokemon Sword over the weekend

GAME|PLATFORM
    Days Gone|Playstation 4
    The Last Of Us|Playstation 4
    The Last Of Us - Left Behind |Playstation 4
    Pokemon Sword|Nintendo Switch
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4

Finished Death stranding two weeks ago. was okay full on kojima near the end. Was more like a movie than a game, experimental to say the least. Enjoyed the most of it.

Currently 3/4 the way through subnautica which has amazing depth(excuse the pun) for an indie game.

On last part of Super Mario Odyessy, which is surprisingly short.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Dust: An Elysian Tale is a game I've had downloaded to my PS4 for a long time without playing it. Not sure why it took me so long to play it but I really enjoyed it. I completed the game on the tough skill setting which to be honest wasn't very difficult. Excellent map system, music and visuals. My only complaint would be enemies becoming very easy to kill while backtracking.

I also completed Oxenfree over the course of a lazy Sunday. Great 80's style teenage sci-fi game that's very story based. Nothing difficult but again great style and good story made for an enjoyable game.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Letter Quest Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Costume Quest 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Metro Last Light Redux| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Little Nightmares & DLC| PlayStation 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn & Frown Wilds DLC| PlayStation 4
    Forgotten Anne| PlayStation 4
    Dust: An Elysian Tale| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4

Played Oxenfree a good few years back, loved it, thought the art style was great.

Did you boot it up again after finishing it the first time, worth a check some weird things happen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm trying to work my way through some of the shorter games I have in my backlog so I managed to get complete both Kona and Abzu over the last few days.

I was disappointed with Kona. 'Walking Simulators' live and die on their narrative which I felt was lacking in Kona. It had a good atmosphere and the slight survival mechanics at least added some challenge but the plot was not engaging enough for me.

Abzu, on the other hand, I loved. It was a very relaxing game but an incredible soundtrack. It was great to swim around exploring the world and at just over 3 hours it was the perfect length for this type of game. Very enjoyable.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Played Oxenfree a good few years back, loved it, thought the art style was great.

Did you boot it up again after finishing it the first time, worth a check some weird things happen

No I didn't, I didn't realise things changed after completing it. I'll have to check it out!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    No I didn't, I didn't realise things changed after completing it. I'll have to check it out!

Nothing major, but there are multiple endings and a few scares that weren't there the first time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME|PLATFORM

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing|PC
    Gato Roboto|PC
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker|PS3
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC

Return of Egypt

Here's an annoying one. Wanted to play a very quick metroidvania and heard about this little doujinsoft game. Found a copy and while it has some issues like some questionable level design and an over reliance on the sprint it was a fun little metroidvania with some fun bosses.

Then I found out what I had played was an unfinished demo. There's one video online of the full game which has an extra character, more areas and more bosses. However it seems this version of the game can't be found anywhere and is now pretty much lost. Shame as it's a piece of history and the creator went on to make a lot of really good commercial games and is still making games.

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch

Finished mario last night, well the main story at least. From what I heard there is a lot of moons to get still, its one of those games you can dip in and out of.

Very relaxing to play and it just seemed to have some of that Nintendo "magic".

After I clear some of my backlog on my ps4 subnautica, shadow of the colossus and Nier automata, will hopefully start Fire Emblem three houses its meant to be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tales from Off-peak City Vol 1 - the surreal, artfully janky games of Cosmo-D are something I know very much look forward to. This one - a sequel of sorts to both Off-peak and the Norwood Suite - is in some ways his most sophisticated yet without losing that jank-core appeal. I love how he builds these small, dense worlds full of secret passages and buttons that lead you down variously odd paths and little stories. As well as one of the most surprisingly deep photography modes you’re likely to find, this one boasts a particularly pleasing pizza making mini-game, where you gradually discover a bunch of horrific ingredients to add to the pies. What’s best is how customers react once you’ve delivered them, offering up constructive and specific feedback no matter what piece of **** you serve up. Recommended!

Wide Ocean, Big Jacket - an hour-long game that recounts the adventures of a group of four people on a short camping trip. Does what it says on the tin, but does it very well. Clever use of the different characters’ perspectives keeps things interesting, with the various vignettes rarely lasting more than two or three minutes. Manages to effectively explore characters and their stories in a running time that will likely last just one sitting. Lots of great little visual ideas, and a wry sense of humour that propels everything forward. Also, there’s one bit with a scary story around a campfire that is just delightful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue|PC

Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue

Another short metroidvania by Krobon.

I'm amazed that Atlus gave this game away for free to promote another game because it's so god. It's about 2-3 hours long. The pixel art is gorgeous and the interplay between the two jack brothers is excellent. It lends itself to so very interesting and well designed boss fights. Definitely worth checking out especially for Shin Megami Tensei fans.

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC

Florence

More an interactive story than a game. Only lasts about 40 minutes and there's no dialogue. However don't take that as a criticism, I really enjoyed it. The music by Kevin Penkin is excellent and there's some really nice touches with the controls to represent stuff like how conversation got easier as the first date went on. A fantastic piece of interactive media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Another update

Final Fantasy X (PC) Technically brilliant at the time and a massive leap on from IX, but with a weird story, annoying lead character and awful voice acting it's a disappointment. Also, F*%k the sphere grid and F*&k blitzball.
    Medal of Honor: European Assault (XBOX) A more modern feeling game than previous titles, it's a great (if short) campaign. Need to dig out my other MoH games now.
    Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBOX) Kinda weird in that some cars and tracks are p**s easy and others will tear you a new A*&^%$£e. great game though.
    Indyracing Series (XBOX) technically well made but Christ it's boring.
    Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (XBOX) Better than Frontline, let down a little by some poor level design in some areas.
    Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (XBOX) fun little war sim, meanders from super easy to ball-achingly hard missions.

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2

Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer

An expansion to the original Persona 3 included in the FES update.

While I think Persona 3 is up there as one of the greatest games and RPGs ever made, this expansion is a let down. It's mostly a dungeon crawler focusing on the combat. And while the combat in Persona 3 is some of the best RPG turn based combat ever the genius of that game is that it varies things with the social scenes. Focusing just on combat becomes exhausting.

The Answer starts out very hard but gets a lot easier but the last few dungeons are just BS with some very annoying enemies that aren't worth fighting as they just take way too long to kill and drain resources.

Storywise it's a let down. It shows some scenes of how each character joins SEES but it adds nothing to the main storyline. Also it adds nothing to the Persona 3 ending which was wrapped up nicely. The characters just end up right back where they where by the end of the story.

Overall, its not bad but also probably not worth your time either.

I finished Vampyr over the weekend, it's available on PS Now. It's a game I really wanted to like, the setting is great and I really enjoyed the story however it has a lot of issues. There is no fast travel, the idea that talking to NPC's unlocks different quests sounds good but in reality it makes the game too dialogue heavy and boring. Characters peak far too slow and there is no proper option to skip through dialogue as when you press the skip button it skips more dialogue than the subtitles on screen. The combat is basic enough too but does get better as you unlock skills.

In summary, a great setting and main story but has many issues.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Vampyr| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

Star wars jedi fallen order - PS4
    Gears of war ultimate edition - Xbox one

The witcher 3 - PS4

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4

The Last of Us: Left Behind

While I feel the Last of Us has a few flaws that tend to get overlooked, this piece of DLC was pretty close to perfect. Freed from the trappings of trying to be a triple A game it wasn't afraid to play out the quieter moments. Was very impressed with the dialogue, although Last of Us was no slouch here, this was a step above. Short by very sweet.

Not sure why I started playing Loco Roco but I finished it anyway. Weird Japanese game with annoying music! Didn't bother trying to collect everything in each level. It's a passable game although I wouldn't really recommend it.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Loco Roco| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

It always felt like it was another game they decided merge into an AC one to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox One]

Borderlands 3 (DLC) Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot

I really enjoyed this DLC and the main game and managed to get all the achievements. I actually thought B3 was a let down compared to previous games but that is not the case it is just as good and looks better and has better mechanics. With Mayhem mode I didn't bother a second play through and it is really easy to get money in this game. I have a tonne of legendary gear and a good few million in the bank and all Marcus' upgrades bought. I also have eridium that I do not know what to do with. And a tonne of golden keys that I also do not know what to do with due to it being easier to get legendary items by just playing the game with mayhem mode activated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro Exodus - Ps4
    Devil may cry 5 - ps4
    Yakuza 6 - ps4

Assassin's Creed Revelations.
    I may get caught up eventually. Unlikely though

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Monster Hunter World

The Division 2: Warlords of New York DLC - Campaign finished and a good chunk of time put into the endgame.

The campaign itself isn't going to win any awards, but it is a solid 8-10 hour playthrough with some neat boss encounters along the way and some great level design which has been a constant strong point for Div2. It's also nice to revisit NY, albeit Lower Manhattan this time around and minus the snow which made the first game so memorable. At the end of the day though, if you didn't already like the core gameplay of the series, this isn't going to change your mind, as it's more of the same at the end of the day.

It's the other changes that came in with the expansion and Title Update 8 which may bring back lapsed players though. My two core issues with Div2 were the complexity of the gear system, and the lack of an engaging content loop once you hit endgame. You would struggle through the awful gear system and UI to pull together a usable build....and then have absolutely no content worth playing or sense of progression once you had that build. Both those problems look to have been addressed (for now at least).

Gear 2.0 is a complete overhaul of the core RPG systems; gear stats and perks have been streamlined, as has the UI, meaning it is now incredibly easy to create builds and understand the synergy between different gear pieces, whereas in year one the system was so convoluted and dependent on RNG that creating a build that was usable in the harder difficulty levels was something only the extremely dedicated were able to achieve. Not the case anymore, and after a week of what I would call casual play, I have completed the campaign and pulled together a decent crit dmg/chance build able to take on the second hardest difficulty in the game with relative ease.

My second issue, lack of endgame content, also looks to have been resolved. There is now a progression system in place similar to the Paragon system in Diablo 3, and the Guardian Ranks in Borderlands 3, that lets you increase your characters stats incrementally once you have hit the level cap. It is pretty grindy, but nice to have a sense of progression to chase other than just getting better drops. Anyone who bought Warlords of NY also has access to the new seasonal system which launched yesterday. Each week there will be new seasonal activities, with this weeks being the first target in the new seasonal manhunt. Next week we get the first of the overhauled global events etc. Propping this all up is the new battle pass, which unlike others is actually fairly easy to level up and contains great rewards. All this new content and the seasonal road map finally gives us a reason to log back into the game on a regular basis, and we now finally have activities to jump in to to put those hard earned builds to use.

All in all Warlords is not worth buying for the campaign alone, but if you are someone who fell of Div2 for similar reasons to me, you can return to the game knowing those issues around gear have been resolved, and you now will finally have a steady stream of content to engage with each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭quokula

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

This came out a year or two ago and completely passed me by until a friend recommended it recently. It's set in the Witcher universe, with gameplay based on the Gwent card game. While the battles all happen through Gwent, you also traverse an isometric world from battle to battle and there is a lengthy story. The writing and acting are as good as Witcher 3, which is to say as good as anything you'll find in a game.

There are many dialog decisions to make and lots of them are genuinely tough decisions - typically you're deciding how to treat a defeated or captured foe - these are rarely simple choices as you might show mercy on someone only to have them stab you in the back later, or you might punish someone only to have their allies take revenge later.

There are other types of decisions to be made too, around disagreements among your allies, or whether to act selfishly and gain yourself significant weaponry or magnanimously and leave yourself at a disadvantage. Some of the choices are genuinely gut-wrenching, both in terms of narrative and in terms of their lasting effect by adding or removing powerful weapons, troops or heroes from your deck permanently. At one point the best hero in my team, who was central to my preferred strategy, did an extremely bad thing, and I had the option to turn a blind eye or not, but in the context of the narrative I simply couldn't let them away with it. It made the battles that followed more difficult and I had to completely rework my strategy, but I felt it was the right choice.

As for the gameplay, I'm not into collectible card games in general but it really worked in the context of the game and fit well. There is actually a lot of variety in how battles play out depending on who you're facing and what type of troops they have, and you need to change strategy appropriately. Many story battles have additional conditions like reinforcements that turn up after a set number of turns, or preexisting obstacles on the board. In addition to regular battles based on the deck you've built up, there are also puzzle battles with a set deck that really twist the rules for all kinds of interesting tasks to complete.

My final save was at 57 hours, having completed every side quest I found, which was probably about 10 hours too long. There was definitely a point a while away from the end where I had become powerful enough that all the battles were now trivial, which made the story decisions a lot easier as I no longer cared about saving my resources or bulking up my forces so I could generally be extra generous to everyone I met.

I'd still definitely recommend it overall though, came in under the radar and the quality of it really surprised me. I went and played the actual Gwent game after completing it but just playing the card game in multiplayer and without context wasn't for me.

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3

3D Dot Game Heroes

Been playing this off and on the last few months. It's basically a Zelda clone with a very unique graphical style with everything made of voxels. It's closer to the first Zelda than later Zelda games as there is a lot of emphasis on exploration, although the main game sequence has to be played out linearly. It's not perfect but it very nearly captures that Zelda magic. There's a few annoyances. There's an over emphasis on meme humour and for a game that is 10 years old a lot of it has aged badly. It's a From Software co-production so they put in a lot of references to their older games. It's filled with Demon's Souls, Metal Wolf Chaos and Armored core references I doubt many people will get now. Also the team that made the game isn't normally a game developer as they normally make post processing pipeline tools. This game can be more of a tech demo sometimes showing off some rather impressive graphics like a very high quality LOD effect, lighting and water. Even the magic is called 'shader magic' since they all apply a shader effect. All this comes at the expense of framerate at times and it can tank into the teens and make the controls very unresponsive as the lag will eat your inputs. The soundtrack is a real standout with some really great tunes.

Still really enjoyed this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

Star wars jedi fallen order - PS4
    Gears of war ultimate edition - Xbox one
    The witcher 3 - PS4

Hellblade senuas sacrifice - Xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnmorganhere

Hi everyone. I've just started playing this year so I havent compleated so many games as you) I've done Star wars, Assassin’s Creed 4 and Far Cry New Dawn.

As Shadow of the Tomb Raider has been released on PS Now, I bought the previous game, Rise of the Tomb Raider for €9 on the PS Store to catch up on the franchise. Although I enjoyed the game a lot, I felt it wasn't as good as the first game in the rebooted series. The story wasn't as good and the ridiculous amount of collectibles was way over the top. I enjoyed the collectibles in the first game but gave up in this one. The challenge tombs were fun and overall it was enjoyable but it lacked something. Despite the game coming with the DLC, I only played the Baba Yaga DLC and didn't bother with the survival and score attack modes.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Loco Roco| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4

• Advertisement

Yoshi's Wooly World on the Wii U done.

Good game. I didn't collect everything. Just picked whatever I could up along the way

Advertisement