Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2020 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch
    Subnautica | PS4
    Fire Emblem three houses | Switch
    Dark Souls Remastered | PS4
    Katana Zero | Switch
    Doom Eternal | Ps4
    Return of the Obra dinn | Switch

Return of the Obra dinn

Heard a lot of positive things about this game on here and decided to get it cheap on the nintendo eshop.

Have to say I was blown away with the intelligent storytelling, that is at the centre of this game.

The puzzles were sometimes a tiny bit obtuse but it was the fine details that could lead you to to the correct name and death of a crewmember.

Really really enjoyed it and, I can't get over the fact that, it was effectively made by one guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I need to get back to Obra Dinn but I feel the game is more intelligent than I am :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I need to get back to Obra Dinn but I feel the game is more intelligent than I am :)

I did cheat on one or two passengers, jesus especially some of the
    disappearances
    you would never get them.

But once you got a nudge I was alright to drive on for the rest, well worth it though amazing game , can see why it got so much praise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I did cheat on one or two passengers, jesus especially some of the
    disappearances
    you would never get them.

But once you got a nudge I was alright to drive on for the rest, well worth it though amazing game , can see why it got so much praise.

Don't get me wrong, absolutely loved it but also taking a break from it is a bad idea as I'm back to square one when I jump back in. It's a fantastic take on videogame narrative. Makes me want to give it another go tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Batman Arkham Knight[PS4] - a very good game although a few too many BS areas especially involving the batmobile. The biggest plus for me was Mark Hamill as the joker. He was genuinely hilarious at times. [edit]
    BioShock [PS4]- what an absolute masterpiece of a game. Enjoyed this so much. A definite must play if you like FPS/Horror.
    BioShock 2 [PS4] - another fantastic game in the series, as enjoyable as the first with a few loose ends tied up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Gave Bioshock 2 a whirl recently as well. Not even as close to a disaster as I'd been led to believe. Sure it suffers from a weak villain that's main inspiration seems to be "the opposite is just as bad. lol ideologues, amirite?" but the game-play is much improved and the Eleanor/Delta dynamic actually ending up feeling kinda sweet.

Those Little Sister harvests can **** right off though.

It's arguably the better game. I don't think Bioshock has aged particularly well and find it impossible to play. 2 has more interesting weapons and the defense sections add an interesting twist on the game. Also the narrative is far better than the first game where it's black and white ideologies , whereas bioshock 2 is more morally grey and explores much more interesting subjects. I do think both games are way too long though.

Then there's the Minerva's Den DLC which is a bite sized piece of excellence and far and away the best thing to come out of that franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Hide and Seek.
    I've been hiding for the past 9 years so think we can consider the game COMPLETED.
    Come at me Brah!

It's arguably the better game. I don't think Bioshock has aged particularly well and find it impossible to play. 2 has more interesting weapons and the defense sections add an interesting twist on the game. Also the narrative is far better than the first game where it's black and white ideologies , whereas bioshock 2 is more morally grey and explores much more interesting subjects. I do think both games are way too long though.

Then there's the Minerva's Den DLC which is a bite sized piece of excellence and far and away the best thing to come out of that franchise.

Amount of talent coming out of Bioshock 2's dev is mental.

None of the DLC is included on PSNow, so I ploughed through Infinite instead. Was expecting something rotten given that game's legacy but it's still beautiful looking and they do set up actual compelling characters despite the shenanigans. I believe they un-CoD the combat in the DLC, which would've been appreciated in the main game because that **** feels like a committee couldn't pick a direction.

Thought infinite was a steaming pile of ****e. Looked gorgeous but was narratively vapid. The time travelling story wasn't satisfying and ending isn't as clever as it thought. And the combat was boring. How it handled race and class issues was very amateur.

As for the DLC the first is ok but I actually enjoyed the second which turned the game into a stealth game. Pity the storytelling was bad again and has one awful case of ken Levine trying to retroactively correct one of the worst and dumbest scenes in the original game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Now it's been a decade since I played Bioshock 2 and the way I look at games has changed a lot in those years. But my issue with the game always was that despite clearly being a more polished and refined game, it lacked that original spark of the first journey to Rapture. The setting of the original was such a strikingly different and fresh environment, concept and vision (many rough edges aside)... the second game couldn't help but feel a little less interesting.

It did have some great self-contained levels, and it explored the mechanics in a fresh way (don't recall enough about the story to comment much on that). It was in many ways an example of clearly creative people tasked with a somewhat thankless job of a direct follow-up to one of gaming's most distinctive blockbusters. But it's the sort of 'more of the same' sequel I often struggle to warm to.

No doubt a revisit might provide a different perspective, although when that'd happen I don't know. Would be more curious to visit Infinite - really liked lots of it at the time, but having read some of the many impassioned takes, critiques and rants about that game (was legitimately a landmark game in terms of game criticism)... I reckon there's quite a bit of stuff worth digging into again there :pac:

I was a few years late to the infinite party. I played it but had no idea of the backlash against it, just remember the hype and glowing reviews. Thought it was utter ****e and was baffled by the reviews until I looked it up and saw the critical perception had changed quite a bit.

Hype is a hell of a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Luigi Mansion 3 : Great game but too much padding inbetween and felt alittle too long.

The Outer Worlds: One of the biggest letdowns I had in recent memory . Went in expecting Fallout New Vegas but what was given felt like a lower budget Borderlands.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake : First 15 hours It was one of my fav games this generation, but the game suffers from terrible level design and the last few chapters were a slog to get through.

Nioh 2 : Not as good as the first game , felt like a 60 euro dlc expansion and found it alittle too long , still had fun playing it .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just finished Unravel. Short enough game but I enjoyed it a lot. It looks great and the controls are excellent. There are no extremely difficult puzzles which I like. A fun game and I'll definitely get the sequel.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Letter Quest Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Costume Quest 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Metro Last Light Redux| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Little Nightmares & DLC| PlayStation 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn & Frown Wilds DLC| PlayStation 4
    Forgotten Anne| PlayStation 4
    Dust: An Elysian Tale| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Vampyr| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Loco Roco| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4
    Control| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Scarlett Mysteries: Cursed Child| PlayStation 4
    Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rime| PlayStation 4
    Dreamwalker: Never Fall Asleep| PlayStation 4
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Unravel| PlayStation 4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro Exodus - Ps4
    Devil may cry 5 - ps4
    Yakuza 6 - ps4
    FF7 Remake - ps4
    Trials of mana - ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
    PLATFORM Nintendo Switch

Even though I've ground out 80 odd hours to get to the end credits, I know well the game is only opening up properly at this point (hence the asterisk *). This was (and still is) an absolute joy to play. I didn't think I'd enjoy it this much. I don't know if I was still in work would I have the patience for it. It definitely was a game I needed to keep me occupied during this total ****fest of the last 2 months.

No point in recommending it to people who aren't Switch owners/Nintendo fans, as I'm sure a vast majority of them already have this game. If you're into games like Stardew Valley, Minecraft, Harvest Moon - all those life-simmy/make-what-you-want games, this SHOULD be something to consider checking out if you haven't already.

I have 90% of my playthrough all recorded, it'll be intriguing to go back and look at my island the way it was at the start months down the line.

Anyway, I've rambled enough.

Games Beaten in 2020 So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER|XBOX ONE
    MY FRIEND PEDRO|XBOX ONE
    UNTITLED GOOSE GAME|XBOX ONE
    FLOWER|PS4
    CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT|PS4
    NBA STREET|PS2
    FINAL FANTASY VII: REMAKE|PS4
    STREETS OF RAGE 4|PS4
    ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS|NINTENDO SWITCH

GAME|PLATFORM

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing|PC
    Gato Roboto|PC
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker|PS3
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue|PC
    Florence|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei |SNES
    Rusty's Real Deal Baseball |3DS
    Donkey Kong Country 2 (102%) |SNES
    Picross: Lord of the Nazarick |Switch
    Pharaoh Rebirth+|PC
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2|PC
    Megaman V|NES
    Halo 2|PC

Halo 2

This for me has always been far and away the weakest of the Halo series. The development was a nightmare and it really shows. It yo-yos from good levels to terrible levels and there's a whole lot more terrible levels.

The flood weren't all that fun to fight in the first Halo so bringing them back was a massive mistake, and bringing them back so early. Every level they are involved in is a pain to play.

The library style of repeating drab corridor level design also rears its ugly head way too many times. Even worse they had the balls to bring back a library level for the sequel and it's still not fun.

And then there's the brutes that replace the elites near the end of the game and they just aren't fun to fight. They are just annoying bullet sponges compared to the much better designed elites.

And yet the gun play carries the game to the end even if I can't say I really enjoyed it.

Actually looking forward to Halo 3. The 360 version was compromised with a 30 fps cap and very low resolution but I remember really enjoying it. Level design was a much higher standard and the flood only showed their face in two missions, one short and sweet, the other one of the very worst levels ever created for a FPS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Finished Just Cause 4 over the weekend. I enjoyed it but I can understand the bad reception it got. There are aren't enough main missions and the Region missions are extremely repetitive. I also didn't bother doing any of the stunts etc. The crazy action is enough to keep it entertaining but it's far from being a classic.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Rime| PlayStation 4
    Unravel| PlayStation 4
    Just Cause 4| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

Just competed Mercenary (1987, Novagen)

Took a while, but worth it.

1. Gone Home (PC)
    2. The Wolf Among Us (PSNow/PS4)
    3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4)
    4. Crazy Taxi (PSNow/PS4)
    5. Raiden IV: Overkill (PSNow/PS4)
    6. Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm (NDS)
    7. Ultra Street Fighter IV (PSNow/PS4)
    8. Journey (PSNow/PS4)
    9. Asura's Wrath (PSNow/PS4)
    10. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PSNow/PS4)
    11. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)
    12. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PSNow/PS4)
    13. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS4)
    14. Limbo (PS4)
    15. Bioshock (PSNow/PS4)
    16. Bit Trip Presents: Runner 2 (PSNow/PS4)
    17. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)
    18. Bioshock 2 (PSNow/PS4)
    19. Bioshock Infinite (PSNow/PS4)
    20. Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut (PSNow/PS4)
    21. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)
    22. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PSNow/PS4)
    23. Batman: Arkham City (PSNow/PS4)

Spent most of civilization's pause catching up on 'big' stuff I've never so much as looked at. Currently working my way through Arkham Knight to close out the Rocksteady trilogy but it's proving to be a bit of a wall for a number of reasons. Overexposure, firstly and obviously, but also the Batmobile craic is one thing but a core gameplay element seems to actually be using parking the ****ing thing as a puzzle. They've really perfected the combat here, so it's all a bit "Tale of Two Cities."

My prevailing sentiments around Arkham seem to be like my feelings around Bioshock in that there's the making of 1, maybe 2, really good games spread out over a trilogy + expansions that come to outstay their welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[PC]

GTA V

Replayed it from start to finish surprisingly quick I must add. I played it before many times but hadn't touched it in over a year and went back to it and it still seems fresh. The gang banging mission with Trevor when they were buying the
    bale of cocaine
    is so funny. You can't hustle a hustler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

[PC]

GTA V

Replayed it from start to finish surprisingly quick I must add. I played it before many times but hadn't touched it in over a year and went back to it and it still seems fresh. The gang banging mission with Trevor when they were buying the
    bale of cocaine
    is so funny. You can't hustle a hustler.

I am 3/4 the way through finishing it for the first time, bought the game years ago on ps3 and never finished it, then bought it on ps4 a few years ago and never finished it, but have gone back to it last week and I am having a blast, even today nearly 7 years after its original release it still stands up, will deffo play through to the end... I have just finished off Control, loved it from start to finish, a great game, finished Spiderman before that, enjoyed that but it got a bit too samey and went on a bit too long for my liking.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro Exodus - Ps4
    Devil may cry 5 - ps4
    Yakuza 6 - ps4
    FF7 Remake - ps4
    Trials of mana - ps4

Mafia 2 - ps4

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Pharaoh Rebirth+|PC
    Megaman V|NES
    Halo 2|PC
    Sonic Adventure 2|PC

Sonic Adventure 2

This game is awful. It got good reviews at release but that's because it was the last gasp of the Dreamcast because it's not good, even back then it couldn't have been considered good.

The game is obviously rushed. The story is complete nonsense with cutscenes seemingly taking place out of the context of what is happening in the game. There's 4 types of gameplay. The sonic/shadow stages are ok.... in that they kind of work and aren't as buggy but that's no ringing endorsement. The other Tails/Robotnik levels are awful, the racing is terrible and the Knuckles/Rouge stages are the worst. The final stretch of the game is the absolute worst with a terrible final shadow level where the gravity barely works and a terrible final level leading up to two bad boss battles. A complete mess of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donoghh

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Pharaoh Rebirth+|PC
    Megaman V|NES
    Halo 2|PC
    Sonic Adventure 2|PC

Sonic Adventure 2

This game is awful. It got good reviews at release but that's because it was the last gasp of the Dreamcast because it's not good, even back then it couldn't have been considered good.

The game is obviously rushed. The story is complete nonsense with cutscenes seemingly taking place out of the context of what is happening in the game. There's 4 types of gameplay. The sonic/shadow stages are ok.... in that they kind of work and aren't as buggy but that's no ringing endorsement. The other Tails/Robotnik levels are awful, the racing is terrible and the Knuckles/Rouge stages are the worst. The final stretch of the game is the absolute worst with a terrible final shadow level where the gravity barely works and a terrible final level leading up to two bad boss battles. A complete mess of a game.

Have you played the first Sonic Adventure, out of interest?

Yes I have. It's pretty bad as well. Really has aged very poorly. But sonic adventure 2 is like that game except rushed. It's worse.

Just finished South Park: Stick of Truth. I thought it was great fun and I usually hate turn based games. Great humour, decent story in usual South Park fashion, crazy visuals and really pushing the boundaries of gross out humour. I also finished Path of Sin: Greed from Artifex Mundi.

Next up for me is Guacamelee 2.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Rime| PlayStation 4
    Unravel| PlayStation 4
    Just Cause 4| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    South Park: The Stick of Truth| PlayStation 4
    Path of Sin: Greed| PlayStation 4

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch
    Subnautica | PS4
    Fire Emblem three houses | Switch
    Dark Souls Remastered | PS4
    Katana Zero | Switch
    Doom Eternal | Ps4
    Return of the Obra dinn | Switch
    FF7 Remake | PS4
    What remains of edith finch | Ps4

FF7 Remake

Good game, the music got a great modern uplift from the original midi tracks.
    Felt the same as a lot of other people in that there is a lot of padding in the middle.
    Overall I really enjoyed it though and am excited to see where they take it in the future. Didn't like the
    ending , even though its give them more freedom , the seven second line WTF was that about

What remains of edith finch

Brillant game and so short, the only thing that I didn't like was the
    ending , felt it was a bit of a copout. Are we supposed to believe the narrative spun by edie was circumstance? or was there a malevolence associated with the house

Advertisement