Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I can’t understand all the negativity - ok the 6 Nations was a disaster and Japan shocked us all but that doesn’t suddenly make us a poor team nor does it mean we’re not capable of taking on the best and beating them - we’ve done it twice before, a fact which everyone seems determined to either forget or ignore.

I really think we have a chance next Saturday if we can replicate what we did in Chicago and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Aidric wrote: »
    Shot to nothing scenario which is where Ireland tend to thrive. This All Blacks side is nowhere near vintage. They are capable of capitalizing on mistakes which works wonders against a side like SA showing their hand after a quarter of the game. Against a disciplined rigorous side like Ireland the breaks shouldn't be so forthcoming.

Schmidt is the most intelligent coach in world rugby and he has flushed NZ twice in recent years. If he pulled it off for a third time I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

Schmidt is not the most intelligent coach in World Rugby, he was an excellent club coach and has had a decent international career. Like Gatland, his 6 nations record has been very much helped by the complete capitulation of French Rugby. We play an abc limited game with, what is at least from an Irish perspective, a very talented group of players. Schmidt at World Cups has been a disappointment, he's 2 and 2 against competitive opposition and at that the list isn't that impressive: France, Argentina, Scotland and Japan, you'd expect the smartest coach in the world to be batting better than 500 against that lineup. You can't question his record against the All Blacks though, he has played NZ above and beyond any other Irish manager and at a time when they were at their absolute pomp too. Saturday will end up defining his tenure, lose and he'll be remembered as the guy who got two cracks at the World Cup and was undone by Argentina and Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

snotboogie wrote: »
    Schmidt is not the most intelligent coach in World Rugby, he was an excellent club coach and has had a decent international career. Like Gatland, his 6 nations record has been very much helped by the complete capitulation of French Rugby. We play an abc limited game with, what is at least from an Irish perspective, a very talented group of players. Schmidt at World Cups has been a disappointment, he's 2 and 2 against competitive opposition and at that the list isn't that impressive: France, Argentina, Scotland and Japan, you'd expect the smartest coach in the world to be batting better than 500 against that lineup. You can't question his record against the All Blacks though, he has played NZ above and beyond any other Irish manager and at a time when they were at their absolute pomp too. Saturday will end up defining his tenure, lose and he'll be remembered as the guy who got two cracks at the World Cup and was undone by Argentina and Japan.

He may only be decent at international level, but he's been by far the best we've had.

If there's a load of better coaches out there for us to hire we're surely in for a hell of a next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭riddles

I would like to see a glimmer of light but the best we can hope for is heroic defeat at best against NZ. Anything under 10 pats losing margin would be decent. Sad end for Joe in fairness but he has been great and a true gentleman man. I think finally it might begin to drop where the 6 nations and autumn internationals are relative to the WC. Today Japan have matched Ireland’s best performance at a WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

"Saturday will end up defining his tenure"

LOL

Eh, no, it most certainly will not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Joking aside, I hope there are no red cards, win or lose, I want a game to wipe away the memories of the last two 1/4 finals, with at least a heroic performance, I will be thrilled with that.

Being thrilled with a losing performance....nah

I could take bring proud of the team, but I definitely won't be thrilled with any kind of loss

It's the old adage, you can control performance but not result. If they play at peak performance , good chance they'll win anyway

He may only be decent at international level, but he's been by far the best we've had.

If there's a load of better coaches out there for us to hire we're surely in for a hell of a next few years

I was just responding to the "most intelligent coach in the world" claim.

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "Saturday will end up defining his tenure"

LOL

Eh, no, it most certainly will not.

Amongst the hardcore "in Joe we trust" Gerry Thornelys of the world it won't but among most it will. He's had four years to change up his extremely limited game plan, he stuck to his guns and ended up getting caught out by a tier two side. Like I said, he's played New Zealand exelently and I wouldn't rule out Ireland yet but if we whimper out the Japan game is his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Ireland have flown in solicitor to represent Bundee Aki at Monday’s hearing Murray Kinsey’s reports. Doubt it will do much good but worth a go I guess.

Apparently Steve Jackson said after the match that the Samoan team would do whatever they could to try to prevent Aki from getting a suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

After the NZ South Africa game a few weeks go, most posters were saying they believed Ireland had a better chance against NZ
    Has something changed since?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bazzo wrote: »
    Apparently Steve Jackson said after the match that the Samoan team would do whatever they could to try to prevent Aki from getting a suspension.

Which is very sporting of them, but ultimately won't help. 2 weeks at least incoming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

riddles wrote: »
    I would like to see a glimmer of light but the best we can hope for is heroic defeat at best against NZ.

Literally not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

sxt wrote: »
    After the NZ South Africa game a few weeks go, most posters were saying they believed Ireland had a better chance against NZ
    Has something changed since?

From minute to minute things chnage on this forum.....everything has to be negative

NZ press have started their PR campaign to make sure they hate the Irish team

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/rugby-world-cup-2019/2019/10/rugby-world-cup-2019-ex-ireland-forward-neil-francis-scathing-attack-on-the-all-blacks-says-they-cheat-with-impunity.html

We should tell them no need to bother, our own fans are doing a great job all on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We're playing New Zealand. Before we had Schmidt as a coach this was 100% an All Black win.
    Now?

Sorry but rugby fans will remember Joe for the two HC wins for Leinster, the Amlin and Pro 12 wins also....a time when Leinster played the best attacking club rugby in the World

Irish rugby fans will remember the 3 6 nations in 6 years including an incredible Grand Slam when Ireland broke all records....also a win on SA soil, a tour win in Argentina and Australia....tour win in Japan as well

Plus two wins v NZ.....Chicago my personal favourite

Also got ireland to number 1 in World, maybe briefly but we have been in top 4 for a sustained number of years

Also coach with highest win ratio ever for Ireland

Thank you Joe....hopefully more glory to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Any good pubs or hotels in Dublin to watch the game on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

mfceiling wrote: »
    We're playing New Zealand. Before we had Schmidt as a coach this was 100% an All Black win.
    Now?

Before Schmidt you would've been absolutely laughed at if you mentioned there was even a chance of Ireland being within 7 points of the All Blacks, the game in 2012 where we came within 2 points was at the time seen as the high point of Kidney's time as Ireland coach, and people were in disbelief. We then got hockeyed 60-0 the following week. You then have to go back to 1992, 10 games back, for the next occasion we got within 7 points and again the following week lost 59-3.

In the 4 times Schmidt's Ireland have faced New Zealand, we have 2 wins, both by 7 points or more, a 2 point loss due to an 82nd minute try, and a 12 point loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    NZ press have started their PR campaign to make sure they hate the Irish team

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/rugby-world-cup-2019/2019/10/rugby-world-cup-2019-ex-ireland-forward-neil-francis-scathing-attack-on-the-all-blacks-says-they-cheat-with-impunity.html

We should tell them no need to bother, our own fans are doing a great job all on their own

The first mistake they made there is presuming anyone pays attention to Neil Francis.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    The first mistake they made there is presuming anyone pays attention to Neil Francis.

Next they will be quoting Ewan McKenna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I may be grasping at straws here, but is there merit in thinking that NZ, at the end of their season, and with 2 weeks and no game, might be slightly undercooked? I am hopeful....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Schmidt is not the most intelligent coach in World Rugby.

I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Joe's rugby IQ has been tested as close to 200. That's in a bracket with the likes of Goethe and daVinci. Nobody is even close to Joe in rugby brain power. The computations he is doing before games to study the opposition, and most spectacularly, in real time during games, is truly astonishing. Apparently, not only does he sees moves that are going to happen 5-6 minutes before they do, he knows EXACTLY how it will turn out. Statistical analyses show that Joe is worth 9-10 points per game to the Ireland team if the had the exact same players and any other coach in the world. And truly impressive, this Joe-bonus goes UP the higher the oppositions world ranking. Mind blowing.
    Those are the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Joe's rugby IQ has been tested as close to 200. That's in a bracket with the likes of Goethe and daVinci. Nobody is even close to Joe in rugby brain power. The computations he is doing before games to study the opposition, and most spectacularly, in real time during games, is truly astonishing. Apparently, not only does he sees moves that are going to happen 5-6 minutes before they do, he knows EXACTLY how it will turn out. Statistical analyses show that Joe is worth 9-10 points per game to the Ireland team if the had the exact same players and any other coach in the world. And truly impressive, this Joe-bonus goes UP the higher the oppositions world ranking. Mind blowing.
    Those are the facts.

I heard Joe's a member of Mensa also, and rumour has it he's been spotted around Firhouse near the Scientology headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

From BBC, on Aki:

The centre's fate will be decided at a hearing in Tokyo on Monday (11:30 BST) following his straight red card for a tackle direct to the head of Samoan fly-half Ulupano Seuteni.

The fact that Seuteni went off for a HIA and didn’t return is probably going to be the deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Now?

If you'd ask me three years ago I'd have said we have no chance. Since then we've beaten them twice in 2016 and 2018 and a few of our players beat them in NZ in 2017 as well. I'd say we now have at least a 25% shot.

This team is still capable of one off big performances and I expect one next weekend. Will it be enough? It might be.

However NZ will be ready for us, so we will have to be at a level even higher than the game last November. The good news is that Murray and Sexton are hitting a bit of form.

We're into 7/2. lads.

I may have put a few on at 4/1, but probably not enough to shift those odds.

The Kiwi-munchers are worried!

See you next Saturday, guys.

It Couldn’t Be Done
    BY EDGAR ALBERT GUEST

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done
    But he with a chuckle replied
    That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one
    Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
    So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
    On his face. If he worried he hid it.
    He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it!

Somebody scoffed: “Oh, you’ll never do that;
    At least no one ever has done it;”
    But he took off his coat and he took off his hat
    And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
    With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
    Without any doubting or quiddit,
    He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
    There are thousands to prophesy failure,
    There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
    The dangers that wait to assail you.
    But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
    Just take off your coat and go to it;
    Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing
    That “cannot be done,” and you’ll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Amongst the hardcore "in Joe we trust" Gerry Thornelys of the world it won't but among most it will. He's had four years to change up his extremely limited game plan, he stuck to his guns and ended up getting caught out by a tier two side. Like I said, he's played New Zealand exelently and I wouldn't rule out Ireland yet but if we whimper out the Japan game is his legacy.

Christ, I'd like our gameplan to be better too but this is pure nonsense stuff.
    Are you confusing Ireland's rugby history with England or New Zealand?
    He's by FAR our most successful coach. No one is close to him.
    That's what he will be remembered for.
    It'd be great if we play well at least on Saturday but it won't define his legacy if we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

Now?

80% All Black win - the wins we had over them are hardly even worth the 20% I'm giving Ireland but on a given day with us performing to our best then we have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Look we know we can beat them and yes Joe Schmidt is the reason for that despite my criticism. His tactics tend to frustrate a team like New Zealand. You can suck them into an arm wrestle as they try to play both ways, up front, pick and jams, with width, with offloads and now they kick a bit . Say when it was perceived they had a weak-ish scrum they go out to prove that wrong or try and beast your pack if questioned or if you try to get the upper hand there. japan will always play the free flowing game and box smart not necessarily winning the right to go wide...perfect ala Munster's Pennyball. So i think if there is a weakness its that new zealand maybe have lost their ruthlessness or smarts when playing teams like Ireland. They definitely respect us more, the days of not knowing players or talking down is gone i think. I know mates of Shane Jennings and i heard after one of the tests even though he was extra man he had to go in and ask for one of the new caps to get a jersey after he was refused, just a general lack of respect before (Jenning's is that type of guy)

I'm criticised for using the term Joeball, fair enough, but i'll admit its the perfect plan for New Zealand. So i know i'm eating into my own argument. My criticism extended to other things though like the confusion around Fullback, Best, a few players seemingly undroppable, Kleyn.

I had a dream that it was all a ruse and we shocked them. Sexton on fire, moves unleashed, henshaw's injury faked, looking undercooked on purpose.

But the very reason some of us are worried is not that Ireland are not the one of old or crap or anything like that. Its because our form has fallen off a cliff and as we saw with Scotland are they really any use? So the last time we performed really well in a pivotal test apart from perhaps France was against New Zealand (not counting those warm ups)

So nobody is trying to be hyper critical and we all want a win.

Schmidt has done it twice, with both wins securing his legacy, more so than the grand slam imo.

We can definitely do it. We all know though New Zealand can do to us what they did to France in 2015. We need the best week of our lives. We need to tap every emotional resource we have. This is it for many of the lads, definitely World Cup wise. As Les Kiss said of POC's injury in 2015 he was such a warrior on his injury it was best for a warrior to go out out on their own shield as he did. None of the players can go out like damp squibs and with all the planning, prep and emotion the brainless bashing pick and jam plays we have seen over the last 12 months cannot be it. As EOS pointed out Conor Murray doesn't break anymore, like in Chicago. That has to be a ruse. IF not and thats all there is i don't know what to say really.

No criticism this week myself included we need all energy to be positive. Murray mentioned on RTE that some stuff does seep through from family, journos demeanor etc.

Its a huge ask, the turnarounds dont help, but maybe the All Blacks are undercooked.

What will annoy me if there is no moves and we get the valiant defeat people will shrug and move on. But we'd really need to admit to ourselves we fupped up against Japan. South Africa are vastly overrated. A good side, not a great one. I think we had their number.

We're playing the World Champions if that was part of the plan and ruse, I'll doff my cap to Schmidt. But if it was all set up for the Saffers well then this is up there with our gravest errors. Yet people are accepting defeat now to countries like Japan. Like the old days but now with minnows. That pisses me off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement