Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X Factor - love it or hate it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I love asking people that I know would never watch it if they watched it.

The face contorts, goes red, steam comes out of the ears and they look like they are going to throw up. :D

It really winds them up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A friend sent me a youtube link to a half decent act on it, but I saved the day when at 15 seconds I put on some Slipknot instead.

Then I purged myself with some Korn, Rage Against The Machine, Pantera and now I'm onto Metallic - well purged of X-Factor now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Chewing gum for the eyes.
    Awful stuff, that and the incessent questions like "Did you see yer one on the X factor etc" and refering to contestants by their first names as if they're close friends or family members.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

I would enjoy it more if they had a seperate show where they just show all the terrible auditions. I only really watch it for the hilarious auditions, once it goes past the auditions I stop.

I must say, I hate those people who regard those who watch reality tv as morons. Its the same as regarding those who watch Star Strek as being socially inept and very unsuccessful with women. Theres probably a bit of truth in both but considering the huge numbers that watch X-factor, theres probably a lot of viewers who are a lot more intelligent than those who regard them as idiots.

That said, its amazing how many people think the really terrible auditions are genuine. I reckon 50% of them are just people taking the piss and the other 45% are people with mental problems. Well I hope so anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I love it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Ah the auditions are a bit of a giggle. No point overthinking these things, saturday night talent shows have been around for a long time and this is just a jazzed up version.
    I admire Cowel tbh whilst I really dont like any of that music.
    Like most things, if you dont like it IGNORE
    I'm always amazed at the amount of people who waist perfectly good energy ranting lyrically about these things
    Ffs, there's worse things in the world, enjoy whatever tunes you like and all is good, it wont kill music because music is subjective anyway. I'm ramblin, but suck my balls

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The auditions are the worst part - exploitative crap.

They do pre-auditions to decide who will meet the panel, and pick people who can sing, people with sob stories who may or may not be able to sing, and unaware possibly mentally impaired people to laugh at. The equivalent of the Victorian habit of paying to laugh at the inmates in the asylum.

Of course they pick them in advance. You can see that well enough from the "touching" scenes they do at the houses where the person sits there and looks wistfully out the window. Or the family sit there awkwardly wishing them good luck where they've rehearsed it 20 times but still try not to look at the camera. Then they start crying on stage "oh my god ive wanted this since -age- and -traumatic event- " or "omg my aunt brought me up and im doing this for her"
    I don't like the genuinely crazy ones I feel a bit sorry for them and they're less funny

in general it's a bit of a giggle though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I hate the auditions! Will watch it when it starts at the boot camp but even then will be switching channels in the middle of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My friend auditioned last year.
    She's really good, so don't know how she didn't get through.
    Anyway, the stories she told us were crazy.
    Waaaaay more than you think is actually scripted/acted/edited/set up etc...
    Even down to the audiences reactions.
    So much you don't see too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Waaaaay more than you think is actually scripted/acted/edited/set up etc...

I believe 99% of it is scripted and acted :P

Anyway, I don't like telling people they don't "get" it but too many people naivly think it's "real". It's not. It's no different than sitting down to an episode of Doctor Who or whatever other drama/entertainment show or movie you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Couldn't give a toss about it although it's a bit annoying when everyone is talking about it and I'm not interested in it whatsoever. That's the same for all things I'm not interested in though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I find the crap auditions hilarious, but you have to go through 2-3 auditions before actually reaching the judges so obviously a lot of it is scripted to who will provide the best tv. I love watching it though! Thats not to say i go out and buy the winners music etc-its generally not my cup of tea at all, and I loved the RATM xmas number 1 protest a couple of years ago, but the show itself is very entertaining with a few drinks before ya go out on a saturday night! That doesnt mean Ive a low IQ, how many people watch theoretical physics documentarys before going out at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

It's lowest common denominator telly. It's appeals to 'salt of the earth types'.

Not for me, I think it is vapid drek. It's well scripted, I'll give it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OPENDRAWNOW

This trashy show is so bad I don't know where to begin. What I can't understand is how sane sensible people are so conned by it. How sad is it to hear those people say that they have to build their whole weekend around it - get a life!! The whole show is a con. Presenting desperate gullible people with the mistaken belief that they can be stars if only they can get Simon Cowell's attention. A lot of people fall for this seemingly as evidenced by the mobs turning up for auditions - or are they just 'rentacrowd'. All this show does is add to the bank balance of Cowell and Louis Walsh. I won't even mention the whole phone voting rip-off. The best evidence of this is that after all the fools have wasted their money voting, it is the judges that decide who gets dumped. And all this for what - even the previous winners are nowhere to be seen - yes Leona Lewis had a good voice and was a sort of a star for a while but the last I see of Joe what's his name was an appearance on Family Fortune's - big time indeed. I am told that this nonsense is going to be inflicted on viewers on Sunday nights as well. The whole sorry spectacle is crowned by that smarmy git Dermot O'Leary - even on an inane show such as this he looks out of his depth. Con - Con -Con get rid of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This trashy show is so bad I don't know where to begin. What I can't understand is how sane sensible people are so conned by it. How sad is it to hear those people say that they have to build their whole weekend around it - get a life!! The whole show is a con. Presenting desperate gullible people with the mistaken belief that they can be stars if only they can get Simon Cowell's attention. A lot of people fall for this seemingly as evidenced by the mobs turning up for auditions - or are they just 'rentacrowd'. All this show does is add to the bank balance of Cowell and Louis Walsh. I won't even mention the whole phone voting rip-off. The best evidence of this is that after all the fools have wasted their money voting, it is the judges that decide who gets dumped. And all this for what - even the previous winners are nowhere to be seen - yes Leona Lewis had a good voice and was a sort of a star for a while but the last I see of Joe what's his name was an appearance on Family Fortune's - big time indeed. I am told that this nonsense is going to be inflicted on viewers on Sunday nights as well. The whole sorry spectacle is crowned by that smarmy git Dermot O'Leary - even on an inane show such as this he looks out of his depth. Con - Con -Con get rid of it now

Not a fan then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The face contorts, goes red, steam comes out of the ears and they look like they are going to throw up. :D

You now have me wondering who you are and how often we've met......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It's lowest common denominator telly. It's appeals to 'salt of the earth types'.

Not for me, I think it is vapid drek. It's well scripted, I'll give it that.

It's terribly plotted though. You can set your watch by the 2 or 3 losers who come on, get slagged off, then someone who sings in a pub so actually can carry a note, then the weird gay one, possibly with female friend, then 2 more losers, then the singing plumber who never sang before and he's always dreamed of this but never done anything about it.

You can tell what's going to happen every time by the background music before someone comes on. The only good thing is Gary Barlow displaying a personality that no one thought he had for the last 20 years.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

When you look at the recent winners, Joe McElderry and Matt Cardle, both have done next to nothing. X Factor and its fans should really re-evaluate its relevance and importance to the music industry. Yes, they usually get the Christmas no.1 but the winners never really leave any lasting impact on the music scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You are my hairdresser aren't you?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What the actual f*ck?

This won't do at all. Thread is now about that Irish Talent Show thing which is clearly... Exactly the same type of sodding dross designed to appeal to mouth-breathing, window-licking commoners who still think that a cappucino is the f*cking height of sophistication.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Someone post cats or I permaban everyone who posted in this thread. Yes, even Tar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Better than any X-Shmactor contendernator IN MY OPINION

MOAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Catwoman.jpg

Catwoman do ya

Of all the Catwomen in the world since Batman first appeared, you go and pick the sh*ttiest one.

I'm not angry. Just disappointed. And angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sarky wrote: »
    Of all the Catwomen in the world since Batman first appeared, you go and pick the sh*ttiest one.

I'm not angry. Just disappointed. And angry.

what one would you like and I will get it for you

No, don't bother. You've ruined it now. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement