Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X Factor - love it or hate it?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 4:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Love it or hate it, there's no doubting that this show is a cultural phenomenon.

I used to be entirely cynical about the show - seeing it as a cynical exploitation of young people's desires to be famous & in itself creating a medium for that desire to grow. The song "Stars in Their Eyes" was a very good take on that.

But having watched the first few episodes of the new show, there's no doubting that it's an entertaining piece of television.

Many of the entertainers I grew up loving were manufactured - cool bands like The Monkees & The Supremes - so maybe my cynical sense is being too cyncial? Or is it?

After all - there's lives being made or destroyed by this show.

So, what is your take on this.... The X Factor - love it or hate it?

The X Factor - love it or hate it? 139 votes

Love it
    0% 0 votes
    Hate it
    33% 46 votes
    Meh
    66% 93 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's a yes from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's a yes from me.

You had a Gary Barlow face on when you said that, I bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

this is going to be so one sided!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Tonight matthew im going to be... Underworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Hate it with every little bit of hate that I can muster.

I could see you were given it your 'art and soul starbelgrade, it's a mass-wiv yes from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I love the genius that comes out of it. original ground breaking music :pac:

You had a Gary Barlow face on when you said that, I bet!

Nah..Simon! Im not getting Gary hard man at all :(

chucken1 wrote: »
    Nah..Simon! Im not getting Gary hard man at all :(

Neither am I. But he's looking really well. He's like the ugly duckling of Take That come good.

And funny too.

Who would have thunk it!?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

standard fodder for the proles to keep them occupied.
    meanwhile, my plan for world domination continues unabated....

I think..people are afraid to admit they enjoy "reality" tv..

Watching it doesnt make you less compos mintis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I used to be am entirely cynical about the show - seeing it as a cynical exploitation of young people's desires to be famous & in itself creating a medium for that desire to grow.

This ^^.
    The song "Stars in Their Eyes" was a very good take on that.

A very under rated song indeed - good choice Sir.

retalivity wrote: »
    standard fodder for the proles to keep them occupied.
    meanwhile, my plan for world domination continues unabated....

Whats a Prole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

I cant stand it, it is exploitation of some magnitude. fair enough it gives access to normal people with great voices a medium to be heard and recognised for their talent but come on a whole month long process of picking winners and losers.

If the person is good enough to win then surely they wouldn't need the show to go on that long. Its all about the spectacle, making cash churning out sh!t songs for the cash cow at Christmas.

not to mention the gombeens who ring up to vote **** sake like have ya nothin better to be spending your money on 2 or 3 quid to vote for your favourite singer jez give it charity for Christs sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think..people are afraid to admit they enjoy "reality" tv..

I really genuinely don't like it.

The thing is Chucken that it's nothing like reality. The nearest thing to reality TV is good drama ('The Wire' for example).
    Watching it doesnt make you less compos mintis.

I agree.

I'm watching that hearty 'Odlums' lady from TV3 AM baking at the moment!

I think she's fantastic and how your man drools over her shoulder makes me LOL.

:D

The thing is Chucken that it's nothing like reality. The nearest thing to reality TV is good drama ('The Wire' for example).

I agree.

Ah now,I put Reality in """" :)

I do nothing only cook :eek:..Cos I loves it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Whats a Prole?

http://tinyurl.com/63g96zw

I agree.

Ah I missed her. Shame, she's a sound woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Neither am I. But he's looking really well. He's like the ugly duckling of Take That come good.

And funny too.

Who would have thunk it!?!!!

Well musically I always knew, even back in 2000 that he would have the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I can appreciate why people like it but it's not for me. I don't mind the latter stages where everyone is actually decent and/or entertaining but I'd have to record it so I could fast forward past the self-important judges who generally just wreck my head with monotonous clichéd opinions. Having said that I don't like it enough to record it :pac:

Whats a Prole?

A proletarian. A worker. A person who is too dumb and / or too bust to know what's going on.

It's a literary term. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

there should be a kind of 'entertainment nuremberg trials' for this kind of shite, and the offending producers should be dropped in an acid bath,
    live on tv

plink plink fizz :cool:

A proletarian. A worker. A person who is too dumb and / or too bust to know what's going on.

It's a literary term. I think.

Will I go there? I may show my brainz :D

marcsignal wrote: »
    there should be a kind of 'entertainment nuremberg trials' for this kind of shite, and the offending producers should be dropped in an acid bath,
    live on tv

plink plink fizz :cool:

Alka Selserz??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'd hate it if I cared enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

It is annoying that the winner gets to have the Christmas No 1.

The Christmas No 1 used to mean something, now it is Simon Cowell getting 90% of the profits, the singers voice getting so synched up by a computer i'm surprised I can recognise it so well and the singer not contributing **ck all else to the track?

Does the singer write the song by chance? NO. Does the singer help make the tracks, or is it some company producer who is brought in for the occasion, rather than the traditional Music band? What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like the auditions. Then I stop watching it. Well actually I don't always watch the auditions, only if I happen to remember they're on or something. They're usually entertaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement