Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X Factor - love it or hate it?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

LOVE IT so bad >_>

way worse without simon, and yer man just being told to try and be like him when he clearly isn't at all. like how funny it is and i like to sing along heh. dont like how there are probably strings pulled to see who goes through etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The token Irish candidate to suck up the votes from Ireland, more money for the producers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What annoys me about it is that every half wit in the country spends the whole winter wittering on about it.

If it happened, and I was blissfully unaware of it, I would feel an awful lot more favourably towards it. As it is I HATE IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I had never heard of Tulisa before so it gets a thumbs up from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I hate the auditions, really annoying. I only start to watch when the live shows kick off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Detest it but not snobbish about people that do enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

CorkMan wrote: »
    It is annoying that the winner gets to have the Christmas No 1.

The Christmas No 1 used to mean something, now it is Simon Cowell getting 90% of the profits, the singers voice getting so synched up by a computer i'm surprised I can recognise it so well and the singer not contributing **ck all else to the track?

Does the singer write the song by chance? NO. Does the singer help make the tracks, or is it some company producer who is brought in for the occasion, rather than the traditional Music band? What do you think?
    And in most cases they are never heard from again,usually in the music business for the first album,the company would "lend" the singer money to finance the production,so they make it up through sales which the singer gets flip all profit out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The show exposes some peoples desperation to become famous to such a point as to be embarrassing.

Even people who dont watch the show cant escape the really poor and embarrassing singers. Some of the people who havent a note in their head seem to take their failure to progress so badly. Is this contrived or are there really that many people who are so deluded about their abilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Hate it, it's an awful pile of shíte.

Well, TBH, I'd be more 'meh' if it wasn't so omnipresent at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

retalivity wrote: »
    standard fodder for the proles to keep them occupied.
    meanwhile, my plan for world domination continues unabated....

To room 101 with you! Big Brother will not allow your sedition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hate it and hate the attitude - as posted earlier - where people who like it convince themselves that people only pretend to dislike it.

If it wasn't rammed down our throats I'd be able to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

After all - there's lives being made or destroyed by this show.

Incredibly few. 99% of them sink back into their previous obscurity. Thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like the auditions. Then I stop watching it. Well actually I don't always watch the auditions, only if I happen to remember they're on or something. They're usually entertaining.

The auditions are the worst part - exploitative crap.

They do pre-auditions to decide who will meet the panel, and pick people who can sing, people with sob stories who may or may not be able to sing, and unaware possibly mentally impaired people to laugh at. The equivalent of the Victorian habit of paying to laugh at the inmates in the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I watch it & Pop Idol / Britain's Got Talent purely to gain money. With a little research it is extremely easy to determine who is going to win. Since many bookies offer novelty bets on the outcome, and with decent odds, it's a nice little earner.

When Diversity beat Susan Boyle, I walked away with almost €400. I've placed 14 bets through Paddy Power on these reality talent shows and have won 12 of those bets. Easy money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I enjoy it but you've got to realise its an entertainment show and not a "talent" show. Strikes me alot of people get annoyed with it cause they miss the fact its not about who the best singer is but about who the most popular contestant is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think it's crap. The crappiest thing about it is the way the judges automatically assume someone that isn't attractive has no talent.

Anytime I see that overweight woman singing and see Simon Cowells face I want to punch him. The expression on his face says "hold on a minute; she's over the age of 25 and isn't anorexic but she can actually sing. I thought her only talents would have been eating and being unattractive, but no. How can this be?".

The Monkees may have been manufactured but there was a lot of talent involved. Neil Diamond wrote songs for them and Glen Campbell played guitar on some of their songs. Two of their members were actually musicians before joining The Monkees and they later all started playing and writing songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I enjoy it but you've got to realise its an entertainment show and not a "talent" show. Strikes me alot of people get annoyed with it cause they miss the fact its not about who the best singer is but about who the most popular contestant is...

Define "popular" though......John & Edward were correctly slated all over the place while it was on, and yet the same people who swore they'd never watch it again if they were kept in next week (a) still watched it and (b) were somehow brainwashed into becoming fans of the irritating talentless twits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking it so long as you see it for what it is. It's purely entertainment, and has nothing to do with real talent. It's as much about the judges (if not more?) as it is about the contestants. It's not about finding the next Bob Dylan/Beatles/Tina Turner. It's about finding someone that vaguely reflects what's currently popular (the Amy Winehouse/Adele sound seems to be it at the moment) and milking it for everything it's worth. It is what it is, and it can be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It's absolute tripe, but I love it!

X-Factor, American Idol, Britain/America's got talent, and The Apprentice are the only reality shows I watch.

I spend the entire time cringing and wondering why on earth I'm wasting my life watching them.
    But yet I never miss an episode!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I think it's crap. The crappiest thing about it is the way the judges automatically assume someone that isn't attractive has no talent.

Anytime I see that overweight woman singing and see Simon Cowells face I want to punch him. The expression on his face says "hold on a minute; she's over the age of 25 and isn't anorexic but she can actually sing. I thought her only talents would have been eating and being unattractive, but no. How can this be?".

The Monkees may have been manufactured but there was a lot of talent involved. Neil Diamond wrote songs for them and Glen Campbell played guitar on some of their songs. Two of their members were actually musicians before joining The Monkees and they later all started playing and writing songs.

Well said. I enjoy watching it, but just to see the talent. I really can't stand the judges.

It is so patronising when some unattractive person sings well and the judges say 'wow, what a shock, you really surprised me' FFS.

Yes, it's true most popstars in the world are very atttractive and no doubt it helps, but to assume someone unattractive is going to automatcially be a bad singer is ridiclous.

The judges are pathetic - as usual. Get over yourselves :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking it so long as you see it for what it is. It's purely entertainment, and has nothing to do with real talent. It's as much about the judges (if not more?) as it is about the contestants. It's not about finding the next Bob Dylan/Beatles/Tina Turner. It's about finding someone that vaguely reflects what's currently popular (the Amy Winehouse/Adele sound seems to be it at the moment) and milking it for everything it's worth. It is what it is, and it can be entertaining.

Exactly. I watch it. Sure a lot of it is very obviously scripted (it so obvious - you'd want to be blind not to see it) - HOWEVER there is still some rare talents out there and its those that keep me watching.

Unlike Big Brother tripe where a bunch of real no talent, diffrent people are espectally put together just to create drama and feck all else - at least with some talent shows, someone that otherwise might not have gotten an opportunity with their entertainment gifts, do get some form of exposure and allow their latent seen, hopefully employed then later by others.

Except it for what it is - enjoy the rare good singing and if you don't like it, switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i consider anybody that watches any of those xfactor, pop idol, big brother etc.. of a lower intelligence and tend not to listen to their opinions on anything from then on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Define "popular" though......John & Edward were correctly slated all over the place while it was on, and yet the same people who swore they'd never watch it again if they were kept in next week (a) still watched it and (b) were somehow brainwashed into becoming fans of the irritating talentless twits

I disagree that people were "brainwashed" into becoming fans. There's a lot of teenage girls adore Jedward and their target demographic also happens to be the main voters on shows like X Factor, hence why they survived. They were slated by many but I know I loved them; they couldn't sing but they were entertaining (to me) and thus personified my previous point. It's an entertainment show, not a talent show, so they survived because there was a sizable portion of the audience who were entertained by them.

If people keep watching cause one "bad" act survives, then you can't blame the show for that. That's not brainwashing. It's proof people find the show entertaining enough to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

i consider anybody that watches any of those xfactor, pop idol, big brother etc.. of a lower intelligence and tend not to listen to their opinions on anything from then on

Eric now, even for you this is a tad TOO obvious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Eric now, even for you this is a tad TOO obvious!!!

im not even trolling this time , reality tv is some of the most idiotic shíte on the planet, I say fair play to the networks making millions running this , conning the monged out halfwits who sit there with their peepers glued to the television just waiting to muster up the few brain cells required to dial a phone and vote for some untalented pleb with a sob story then get excited when they win a competition thats fixed from the start. End result is the producers laughing all the way to the bank and a bunch of retards waiting for next years fixed competition to roll around so they can spend more money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

its an awful load of shíte, I've been lucky so far this year to have not even caught a glance of it on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

im not even trolling this time , reality tv is some of the most idiotic shíte on the planet, I say fair play to the networks making millions running this , conning the monged out halfwits who sit there with their peepers glued to the television just waiting to muster up the few brain cells required to dial a phone and vote for some untalented pleb with a sob story then get excited when they win a competition thats fixed from the start. End result is the producers laughing all the way to the bank and a bunch of retards waiting for next years fixed competition to roll around so they can spend more money

Love it!! You almost have me convinced:D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

It annoys the sh*te out of me, I can't stand it. It seems like the X-Factor, Britains got talent and all the other reality crap is constantly on over the weekend, then there is the behind the scenes shows aswell. I try my best not to watch it but it always seems to be on the tv here.

What annoys me is the audience! Someone comes out and starts singing with a mediocre voice and every single one of them are up giving them a standing ovation and applauding them as if they were just after seeing some world changing performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's a yes from me.

Yes to what? Do you love it or hate it? Yes isn't the answer.

I loathe it. It's revolting ****e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement