Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 Mod Warning post #2237

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

nullzero wrote: »
    Could you print us a new manager while you're at it?

qpM2Dl8.jpg
    I would have bought a top if it had this picture on it. Pity

wKNJEr3.jpg
    A t-shirt of Keano going telling Andy D'urso that he is a great ref would be cool :D

pUrMO9U.jpg

So apparently my new t-shirt empire does requests. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

v3ttel wrote: »
    Did anyone else get that survey from the club today? They had a few interesting questions....

Favourite 3 players at the club? Nani, Chicharito, De Gea, in that order, for me.

Are they testing the water maybe to make sure they dont offload fan favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

v3ttel wrote: »
    Reus' style is not similar to Mata or Kagawa.

Reus is a player capable of playing at a world class level in wider areas, capable of stretching teams with his pace. You could not say that about either Kagawa or Mata. We're sorely lacking a world class player wide player. I think he is tailor made for MUFC. Obviously, CM still needs addressing. I don't think anyone is saying that isn't the case.

Reus, 2 CMs, 1 LB, 1 RB, 1 CB would be on my Summer wish list. With Giggs, Cleverley, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Young all going in the opposite direction.
    World cup year.... i reckon we will be lucky to sign 2 players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

So apparently my new t-shirt empire does requests. :pac:

If you get it up and running let me know.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    How much does it cost to set up your own T-Shirt design business? You would need to send me that amount, then wait until I get off the ground, then you can buy the Neville one for $39.99 USD.

Actually, no, considering you are giving me enough money to start my own business, I'll send you a Neville T-Shirt free of charge. ;)

And **** it, a 10% discount for all Boards.ie United Superthread posters! Just use the discount code: MATAGAWA at the fictional checkout of my fictional t-shirt company, soon to be fictional t-shirt empire.

I know you're only joking with this but check out teespring.com, it is exactly what you stated here! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This would sell well in here:p:p

Scholes+kiss.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'd be happy to let Kagawa return to Dortmund if thats what it took to get Reus. Love Kagawa but the reality is Rooney and Mata have his best position and I see another season on the bench for him at United.

Buying Reus would be brilliant for the team. With him and Januzaj on either side of a combination of Rooney, Mata, or RVP it would be a brilliant front 4.

I think its time to cash in on chico unfortunately. For his sake and the clubs. Danny Welbeck has shown he is more useful in the big games so Chico will only end up on the bench beside Kagawa next season.

Maybe selling Chico and Kagawa could pay for Reus in theory.

Leaves the transfer fund available for those 2 (hopefully German) central midfield players and a few defenders.

Reus, Gundogan, Kroos, Shaw, Garay.

With Carrick and Valencia almost converted to defenders we probably have good cover without splashing out on any more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't think Liverpool are going to be at the same level next season. Teams are going to be a lot more defensive against them and the defensive frailty will have to be fixed, can't see Rodgers getting rid of Skrtel and Agger, Sakho might improve but you never know with these things. It's pretty much at optimum level going forward wouldn't you agree? Liverpool can improve in midfield but the risk is buying the defensive player there that's needed might slow down the attack.

United are going to have younger, more driven players with a manager who'll hopefully finally know his best group of players and the massive holes at CM and LB will be plugged. These are responsible for 90% of the bad results this season imo and while obviously it's not just going to be all sunshine and rainbows I don't see anyway United won't be at least 10 points better off this time next season.

I admire the optimism but this is logic straight from bizzarro world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Realistically what are we going to need this summer.

Gk: DDG, Lindergaard, Amos
    FB: Rafael, Buttner
    CB: Smalling, Jones, Evans
    CM: Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher, Cleverley, Giggs
    AM+W: Mata, Kagawa, Nani, Janjuaz, Valencia, Young
    ST: Rooney, RVP, Wellbeck, Chico

GK: No need to sign unless Lindergaard moves.

FB: We will be badly short we need two full backs, i am fed up seeing Valencia, Smalling and Jones at rb. I would like Contrao/Shaw for lb. For rb promote Varela or sign a promising young rb for cover.

CB: We need at least one signing who comes in that is quality. We could promote Keane or else bring in a young promising cb. The three cb's are injury prone i don't want to see Carrick back their so we need two cb signings.

CM: We need at least two quality signings as everybody knows.

AM+W: Unless Reus becomes available i think we are fine.

ST: Again think we are fine.

I make it we need 5-6 players before we even know who leaves in the summer. It is difficult in a world cup year but i hope we have some deals worked on already we badly need signings. The summer is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I'm gonna go ahead and draw one of these out with what I hope will happen, then come back and laugh at how optimistic I was later.

GK: De Gea, Lindegaard.

I really love our goalkeeping situation. David De Gea is better than we thought he would be when we were defending him against muppets who mocked him early on. Top keeper. But the best thing is should the worse happen, and De Gea miss a few games through injury, I am confident that Anders can step in and steady the ship.

No changes here (please god).

RB: Rafael, Varela, Jones/Smalling.

Rafael this time last year had nailed down our starting RB job. One year on and he has regressed, not so much that he needs to be replaced imo, but enough for me to feel uneasy with just Varela as backup, Jones/Smalling should not be an option. I feel we need to make a low-key, almost Buttner-like signing to give Raf some competition.

Low-key signing in, Varela on loan/U21s.

CB: Jones, Evans, Smalling, Vidic, Ferdinand.

Here is a position we will definitely see activity in. Rio and Vidic are gone, and we are left with 3 Centre Backs who are short of the level we would want them to be, but not by much. Each of them has positives and negatives, but I would rank Phil Jones as the best of the 3. I've really been impressed with Jones in recent weeks, he's a strong, commanding CB with great leadership, but has positioning problems. Get him a comfortable ball playing partner and we are talking. I also want to see Michael Keane get some action, we need 5 CBs in the squad because EVERY SINGLE YEAR we have an injury crisis at CB.

Starter brought in (Benatia, Mangala, Garay, Hummels), Keane in squad. Rio and Vidic gone.

LB: Evra, Buttner.

Goodbye Patrice, thanks for the memories but good lord hurry along now as you have been simply awful defensively for some times now, and shocker, defending is a pretty big part of being a defender. Alex Buttner proved he is a proper player in recent weeks and is certainly a capable backup, he keeps his squad roles, but we need to bring a starter in.

Starter brought in (Shaw, Moreno, Alex Sandro, Coentrao), Evra gone.

RM: Valencia, Januzaj, Young, Nani.

Valencia will stay. I've been one of his biggest critics this year but he still has a role to play. Januzaj needs a big year, he's a first team player now, and if he continues to grow we will have a star on our hands. Young could go, but that requires someone to want him. He's not good enough, and I would want someone else brought in, but again that depends on if he leaves.

Valencia, Januzaj, Young (or replacement like Lallana, Cuadrado), Nani gone.

CM: Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher, Cleverley, Giggs, Anderson.

Wholesale changes here, and badly needed. Michael Carrick isn't performing at a high enough level anymore, and if Newcastle's interest is real he could go, but I expect him to stay in a reduced role. Fellaini is an awkward oaf, but we paid for him and he will see some time on the pitch, I only hope he improves. Fletcher is fantastic to have around, but his lack of athleticism means he only has a small role, same for Cleverley, who is limited as a player. We need signings here. I expect Cavalho. I'd like Fernando. I dream about Kroos. If we bring in all 3 (or similar in Fernando's case) we can compete with City and Chelsea in midfield. 2 would be the improvement we all want. 1 would feel light. Giggs will retire, Anderson won't be bought by Fiorentina but will leave).

Starters brought in (Carvalho, Kroos (pls)), Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher, Cleverley, Giggs and Anderson gone.

LM: Kagawa, Januzaj, Welbeck.

Kagawa looks as though he will have to be the one who is played out of position, because he is a nice, polite, and reserved gentleman who will sacrifice his own needs for team success. Having Mata beside him will help him kick on and play how we all hope he will. Januzaj see RM. Welbeck has a real role to play here, in big games especially. Ideally we would sign a star to play here, and play like a true winger, I'm talking about Marco Reus here, but thats a pipe dream.

Kagawa, Star signing? (Reus), Welbeck, Januzaj.

CAM: Rooney, Mata, Kagawa, Powell.

Rooney will play here is RVP is fit and stays at the club. If RVP is missing Rooney goes up top and Mata plays here, which is what I think is best. Kagawa will play here if the situation allows it, and Powell should get a chance after a good year on loan.

Rooney, Mata, Kagawa, Powell.

ST: RVP, Rooney, Welbeck, Chicharito, Henriquez.

RVP is in a difficult position. He should play every game, but do we play better as a team without him? I think he will stay, but I'm worried about injuries, which is why is it vital to have Rooney to score goals. Welbeck will get chances here, but he needs to find his shooting boots. Chicharito will leave, good luck to him, I love him. I think Angelo Henriquez will fill the last spot. He is an interesting player who seems to work very hard.

RVP Rooney, Welbeck, Henriquez.

Players out: Rio, Vidic, Evra, Nani, Giggs, Anderson, Chicharito. 7 in total.

Players in: Varela, Benatia/Mangala/Garay, Keane, Shaw/Moreno/Coentrao, Carvalho, Kroos/Fernando, Powell, Henriquez. 8 in total.

These are my guesses, and if this is the squad we have next season, with no European football, I would be very upset if we weren't in a title contending position by Xmas. It's a squad so good that David Moyes should be able to get it playing at high level, if he can't, he has to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I wonder if Lingard will be given a chance to be a backup winger. Good eye for goal anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

GSPfan wrote: »

Reus, Gundogan, Kroos, Shaw, Garay.

With Carrick and Valencia almost converted to defenders we probably have good cover without splashing out on any more players.

Gundogan is now out until after the world cup. wouldn't go near him.
    And I wouldn't have Carrick in the team next year. the guy is turning to stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

lee-sharpe-mark-hughes-alex-ferguson-paul-parker-eric-cantona.jpg

Loved that jersey and the home one with the laces also!

• Pro. F wrote: »
    M!CK^ in the last thread:

I never suggested that Kagawa should have dominated Munich in midfield. One player was never going to do that when United were looking to play on the counter. I was talking about his contribution to the counter attack. I think you are vastly overstating how well he contributed to the counter attack. Never once lost the ball? Come on now.

As for the type of suitably athletic player I was talking about for playing wide in a counter attacking team: Ronaldo, Bale, Lavezzi, Walcott, Ox, Rues, Hazaard, Schurrle, Draxler, Sterling, Nani, etc. Those types of players.

I believed the discussion was in the context of the game in question, not about who we could potentially have put into the that position if we owned them, I was discussing the match situation that happened.
    Other than throwing Nani in there, who hasn't played in months & is volatile and can be a extremely frustrating player, the choice for Kagawa to lead the contribution to the counter-attack was the correct one.
    Danny Welbeck was there to provide a long ball outlet and force him to use his pace and strength, Kagawa was there to receive possession from the DM' or claim the knock downs from Welbeck & then retain the possession and Rooney was 'supposed' to be there to finish.

'Never once lost the ball' is a bit of an exaggeration, lets just say I should said almost as opposed to never.

• This would sell well in here:p:p

Scholes+kiss.jpg

LOL talk about intimacy! Neville with his eyes closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I would have bought a top if it had this picture on it. Pity

lee-sharpe-mark-hughes-alex-ferguson-paul-parker-eric-cantona.jpg

Hughes looks like Michael Fassbender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

Are they testing the water maybe to make sure they dont offload fan favourites

if this is the basis for our new transfer policy....

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

if this is the basis for our new transfer policy....

:cool:

Crowdsourcing works well in lots of areas, maybe it would work for football management. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm a huge fan of Marco Reus and would love to see him in a Utd shirt but there is no way he will be leaving Dortmund this season unless there is megna money involved and I mean €50 million + , Dortmund are already seeing Lewandowski walk and Reus is now their main man in the team , he's also stated a number of times that he has no intention to leave Dortmund for now and is in no hurry to leave German football.

Didn't he give two fingers to Man City last season by laughing off their interest or saying he had no intention of playing for them. I think Reus is one of the few top end players who isn't so swayed by mega cash offers , not for now anyway.

But jesus he would improve us , such quick feet , so direct , he'd be a role model for Adnan as well.

what about Zaha?
    is he fit for the scrapheap or do we give him a run?

• Advertisement

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Marco Reus and would love to see him in a Utd shirt but there is no way he will be leaving Dortmund this season unless there is megna money involved and I mean €50 million + , Dortmund are already seeing Lewandowski walk and Reus is now their main man in the team , he's also stated a number of times that he has no intention to leave Dortmund for now and is in no hurry to leave German football.

Didn't he give two fingers to Man City last season by laughing off their interest or saying he had no intention of playing for them. I think Reus is one of the few top end players who isn't so swayed by mega cash offers , not for now anyway.

But jesus he would improve us , such quick feet , so direct , he'd be a role model for Adnan as well.

Why not test his and Dortmund's commitment by a 40m offer and a big wage?
    He's a fabulous footballer. I'd rate him as highly as Vidal and Toure. (although a slightly different type of player, he is operating at that level)

what about Zaha?

I don't thnk he'll play for United again. Bad attitude. Sloppy performances. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

what about Zaha?
    Get him a good loan next season. Not leaving him on loan at Palace this season seems like a mistake now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I don't thnk he'll play for United again. Bad attitude. Sloppy performances. No thanks.

Agreed and I was getting annoyed with Moyes when he didn't get any game time, He knew what he was doing

Hococop wrote: »
    Agreed and I was getting annoyed with Moyes when he didn't get any game time, He knew what he was doing

There's been a lot of that this season. Not having a pop at anyone, but this is an issue that a lot of people are ignoring.
    A player (Zaha) has obvious talent, and isn't being played, the fans are having a go at moyes for not playing him. But behind the scenes there's a perfectly good reason why - the player isn't showing the right attitude.
    Why can't this be also the case with some of the senior players? Not performing or showing the right attitude, and knowing that Moyes will take the flak for it.

Klopp could unlock the capture of Kroos and Reus, I'd imagine.
    When Moyes calls, there is an uncomfortable silence on the line. For a few minutes.

Klopp could unlock the capture of Kroos and Reus, I'd imagine.
    When Moyes calls, there is an uncomfortable silence on the line. For a few minutes.

Really? Have you bugged their phones?
    :rolleyes:

Mata was a bit part player at chelsea :rolleyes: dont know much about united before 1990 :rolleyes: coming round to the idea of hurling abuse at fergie and charlton :rolleyes: hope we get hammered :rolleyes: hope we fail this summer :rolleyes: the players are clowns :rolleyes:

Really? Have you bugged their phones?
    :rolleyes:

Mata was a bit part player at chelsea :rolleyes: dont know much about united before 1990 :rolleyes: coming round to the idea of hurling abuse at fergie and charlton :rolleyes: hope we get hammered :rolleyes: hope we fail this summer :rolleyes: the players are clowns :rolleyes:

chill winston..

chill winston..

Just a few examples of your wisdom and love for the club.

Just a few examples of your wisdom and love for the club.

oh right. thanks for reminding me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The fact that the first page of this thread does not have a picture of 'The Big 3' that is Big Dave and Matagawa is an insult to sport and to MUFC. You call yourselves fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Whats the alternative to Kroos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,320 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bullvine wrote: »
    Whats the alternative to Kroos?

Cleverley.

is carvalho a dead cert?
    we've scouted him almost 30 times according to reports.
    put your money where your mouth is moyes / woodward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kroos is open to the idea of a move to United. He is also willing to stay at Bayern if he gets the right contract but he is 24 and might be ready to take up a new challenge in another country. He has said on a few occasions how impressed he is with Old Trafford and he enjoyed himself when playing there this year. He knows if he comes to united he will be top dog in midfield at one of the biggest clubs in the world earing a massive salary.

given united's situation this summer (ie desperate for players) they are gonna get creamed in the market
    teams will prob add a 15-20% premium to the transfer fee, plus agents will most likely add a similar adjustment to wage demands.

is carvalho a dead cert?

no nothing is a dead cert...... Ronaldinho was a "dead cert" and ended up at barca so was hazard who ended up at chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

is carvalho a dead cert?

Yeah sure, why don't they just get him tomorrow? might have him registered for the Everton game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

There's been a lot of that this season. Not having a pop at anyone, but this is an issue that a lot of people are ignoring.
    A player (Zaha) has obvious talent, and isn't being played, the fans are having a go at moyes for not playing him. But behind the scenes there's a perfectly good reason why - the player isn't showing the right attitude.
    Why can't this be also the case with some of the senior players? Not performing or showing the right attitude, and knowing that Moyes will take the flak for it.

Was it bad attitude or being friends with his daughter done the damage?? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,320 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah sure, why don't they just get him tomorrow? might have him registered for the Everton game.

To be fair - why can't we get a deal done if we want him - we signed hernandez the day after we got knocked out by Bayern in 2010 - this time we signed a new sponsor.

Get the deal done and have it sorted so he is a United player on the first day of pre-season. Done with Chico and Ruud, and I'm sure a number of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

is carvalho a dead cert?

I want him purely because I can't see anyone being as bad at football as Tom Cleverly is in general, as Fellaini has been these last few games or how old Carrick is playing.

Does anyone actually know anything about him? Is he any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Reus to United?? ye lot have rocks in your heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Opposition fan pops in, says everyone here is stupid, and leaves shocker.

he cant even get his game for Cardiff how does he expect to play for united. Could be sold back to palace in the summer

Breaking News: Liverpool fan refuses to accept Man utd are capable of signing world class player.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I want him purely because I can't see anyone being as bad at football as Tom Cleverly is in general, as Fellaini has been these last few games or how old Carrick is playing.

Does anyone actually know anything about him? Is he any use?

signing him (and it'll cost prob 40m) surely signifies the end to fellaini though?
    wouldnt he be a direct replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He going to be our new CM, keep up lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I'm sure David Moyes and his trusty Ipad will be busy scouting players again today.

A squad chosen by Moyes. It's what we've dreamed of isn't it.:)

signing him (and it'll cost prob 40m) surely signifies the end to fellaini though?
    wouldnt he be a direct replacement?

Different type of player.

carvalho is a defensive midfielder though yes?
    coupled with Kroos you potentially have the foundation for an effective attacking unit?
    Put Mata / Kagawa in front, with some decent wingers and we're off back up the league table??

incidentally i think Young should be no where near the starting 11.
    he has delivered so little to United since arriving imo.
    I am always sceptical of players labelled a 'genius' by Gerard Houllier..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement