Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God has put us here for a reason

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

What explanation do you want that my answer didn't cover a few days ago?

Christianity doesn't say that people are never going to die, or that there will never be illnesses, or wars, or other forms of suffering, nor does it pretend that the world is perfect. In fact it gives a pretty strong reason as to why it isn't perfect.

Jesus actually tells us explicitly that these things will happen.

What explanation do you offer instead?
    So, so
    These birth pains include millions to die and suffer unimaginably over millennia so some may live in glory at some stage, God has put those millions who suffed to suffer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Macdarack wrote: »
    So, so
    These birth pains include millions to die and suffer unimaginably over millennia so some may live in glory at some stage, God has put those millions who suffed to suffer?

It is one thing to sit and point at what you feel are flaws in the Christian worldview, but atheists rarely posit an alternative that is any better.

The Christian worldview posits that death and suffering entered the world through the Fall. You may disagree with that, but the disagreement is baseless if we're not willing to discuss what secular alternative does a better job of meaningfully explaining it.

Can you give me an indication of how your worldview offers a better explanation for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's worth noting that god fully understood the failings of humanity when he put the consequences of this in place.

The final book in the bible(Book of Revelation) is a warning of not what might happen but what will happen. This is the faith of humanity and how it is supposed to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

tuxy wrote: »
    It's worth noting that god fully understood the failings of humanity when he put the consequences of this in place.

The final book in the bible(Book of Revelation) is a warning of not what might happen but what will happen. This is the faith of humanity and how it is supposed to be.

I read the book of revelations and I find it interesting.
    Although I'm a pagan and no one can prosterlize me as I've made my bed and that's final.

Like a Muslim I believe that jesus was/is a prophet and a lot of biblical text has been manipulated.

Catholics are very pagan like and lost their way somewhere along history.

The church of Ireland are more faithful than the catholics who are sinners left right and center.
    I think the rot comes straight from Rome.

Jesus was pariah in the eyes of his Jewish teachers and they didn't like him one bit.

He was tortured and crucified died and the word was made flesh and he dwelt amongst us.

Meaning if you live a good life and emulate jesus
    as best you can there's a possibility you'll be saved if not you'll be shut out from the light of God and in my opinion there's a lot of realms in the afterlife.

I got warned here before for expressing my opinion, but I believe that the abrahamic god is a sand demon from the middle East and is no different from pazuzu the bringer of plagues etc and pazuzu rides on the wind...

Jesus never according to my reading of holy books never mentioned hell, or the abrahamic god.
    He suggested that there's a loving forgiving god who's a great listener and if you decide that you want what jesus has, then you give your will and your life to that God jesus suggested you love.
    Then you will be able to arrive at a place of light, love and eternal life in the ever after.

I go fishing with a really nice Christian man, and we could be driving from Ennis to Waterville for a few days fishing and we sit out light a campfire eat and drink tea and have friendly debates about lesous, yeshua and jehova.
    And paganism and he's sincere in telling me unless I'm a Christian I won't see him at the other side of the pearly gates.

I tell him there's other places I'm going and it ain't pearly gates or molten hell fire.

That's my choice, I'm a heathen, into earth spirits, nature and our heritage of pagan rituals and magic.

Since I opted away from the Catholic Church and a brief stint for a year as a born again Christian, my life has enhanced.
    I let go of the shackles that held me down since I was going to mass.

I often talk to Ibrahim Noonan in Galway and the born again Christian Phillip on shop street and we all get along and respect each other.

Ibrahim and Philip are sound guys, and sometimes atheism Ireland have a stall too and they're a nice bunch of lads.

They all get along.

Going back to the book of revelations Its quite interesting and I believe there's power in holy books and if used for the wrong reasons they can be a tool of destruction.

Yeshua/Pazuzu and Satan are from the middle East and very powerful but in my opinion they're not too different from each other.

They combined brought pain, suffering and depression to people in all corners of the world.
    Their followers love crusades and division, conquering and mass genocidal acts of depravity.

Satan offers free will and the delights of the universe, knowledge, sensuality and joy in the lust for knowledge.
    Let's everyone experiment with their wants and desires.

Satan doesn't suggest that we harm anyone or kill people, or cross personal boundaries.
    He just says go out there and enjoy yourselves and live flamboyantly.
    The horned God's are getting popular again.

After all the world is belonging to Lucifer the angel of light..

nthclare wrote: »

Jesus never according to my reading of holy books never mentioned hell, or the abrahamic god.
    He suggested that there's a loving forgiving god who's a great listener and if you decide that you want what jesus has, then you give your will and your life to that God jesus suggested you love.
    Then you will be able to arrive at a place of light, love and eternal life in the ever after.

I think it's very clear that the god that Jesus talks about is nothing like the god of the old testament.
    It always confused me how christians believes the god of the old and new testament was the same god.
    God changing his mind and deciding he no longer wants to be vengeful and jealous and now wants to help humanity never made any sense and I don't see how these very different set of book are part of the same religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think it's very clear that the god that Jesus talks about is nothing like the god of the old testament.
    It always confused me how christians believes the god of the old and new testament was the same god.
    God changing his mind and deciding he no longer wants to be vengeful and jealous and now wants to help humanity never made any sense and I don't see how these very different set of book are part of the same religion.

The god of the old testament is a different machine than what Jesus thought about.
    The irony is Jesus had a more new age look at religion and the Jews still don't accept that he was the messiah.

But yet people mix Judaism and Christianity with a similar god head.

They're totally different religious beliefs and if jesus spoke about Abraham it was more metaphorical than factual.
    He was just telling parables rather than preaching.

It was the people of the Abrahamic god who's a psychopath, who nailed jesus to the cross, following the abrahamic god called EI.
    Jesus was blasphemous according to the Jews and they had him crucified for not abiding by their religious laws.

Jesus was calling them out on their lack of compassion, draconian laws etc and they were not having it.

He was a rebellious activist, and bless him they tortured him, nailed him to a cross, mocked him and he eventually died and supposedly rose again.

Actually from typing this I think ill check out the king James bible again.
    And try to figure out more about Jesus.

Because I find it all confusing, Judaism, Christianity and Islam being abrahamic.
    But there's no sign of fire and brimstone etc in the new testament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

nthclare wrote: »
    The god of the old testament is a different machine than what Jesus thought about.
    The irony is Jesus had a more new age look at religion and the Jews still don't accept that he was the messiah.

But yet people mix Judaism and Christianity with a similar god head.

They're totally different religious beliefs and if jesus spoke about Abraham it was more metaphorical than factual.
    He was just telling parables rather than preaching.

It was the people of the Abrahamic god who's a psychopath, who nailed jesus to the cross, following the abrahamic god called EI.
    Jesus was blasphemous according to the Jews and they had him crucified for not abiding by their religious laws.

Jesus was calling them out on their lack of compassion, draconian laws etc and they were not having it.

He was a rebellious activist, and bless him they tortured him, nailed him to a cross, mocked him and he eventually died and supposedly rose again.

Actually from typing this I think ill check out the king James bible again.
    And try to figure out more about Jesus.

Because I find it all confusing, Judaism, Christianity and Islam being abrahamic.
    But there's no sign of fire and brimstone etc in the new testament.

Look at the time frame the New Testament was written in comparison to the existence of Jesus. It is not contemporary by any stretch.

Look at the time frame the New Testament was written in comparison to the existence of Jesus. It is not contemporary by any stretch.

Yes but the word of god remains constant. God does not transform into a completely different god just because some time has past.
    Malachi 3:6

I the Lord do not change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Jesus does talk about hell in the New Testament. This search is of the exact word match hell in the Bible. Pretty much all of them are in the New Testament.

Jesus also uses other phrases to describe hell in the New Testament also. God is a God of love and a God of justice. He holds out His mercy in Jesus Christ that we might run to Him. If we don't however He acknowledges our decision and gives us over to an eternal life without Him and without His common grace in hell.

Of course the God of the Bible is the God of the whole Bible. The promises and prophecies of the Old Testament find their fulfilment in the New Testament. As you quite rightfully pointed out Malachi says that God never changes. The same in the New Testament, Hebrews says that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

• Advertisement

Jesus does talk about hell in the New Testament. This search is of the exact word match hell in the Bible. Pretty much all of them are in the New Testament.

Jesus also uses other phrases to describe hell in the New Testament also. God is a God of love and a God of justice. He holds out His mercy in Jesus Christ that we might run to Him. If we don't however He acknowledges our decision and gives us over to an eternal life without Him and without His common grace in hell.

Of course the God of the Bible is the God of the whole Bible. The promises and prophecies of the Old Testament find their fulfilment in the New Testament. As you quite rightfully pointed out Malachi says that God never changes. The same in the New Testament, Hebrews says that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

Do you think it may be possible that god is moving back into a phase where he creates plagues,floods and other disasters?

Advertisement