Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I go to SE Asia annually.

I load my BOI CC and withdraw.

There is no getting over the charges from the local bank (In Thailand it's an approx 6 euro charge) but this 'cross border handling fee' adds up.

Would getting one of these cards solve this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »
    Not sure what reviews you are reading. But I never had an issue with them not has anybody be I know.

I think it is a lifesaver on holidays as when I make a purchase I only transfer the value to make the purchase

when my wallet was robbed in Lisbon within 1 minute they tried to make 1200 euro transfers to Romania - but no cash on the card :) was brilliant

and I found customer service pretty good, plus some savings with GBP purchases

can't fault the card to be honest
    I travel a lot between Asia, Caribbean and Africa and it’s great for security and exchange rate and zero fees.

I signed up for the craic - all verified, ordered a card for 5.99

I want to set-up bank transfer so I can transfer from my ROI bank account, rather than topping up by card (incase I wanted to do a large top up)

The app has provided me with a GB IBAN? But on top it says EUR Account.... so AIB won't allow me to add the account as a Payee.

Should I be contacting Revoult on this? (All ROI details btw..... address etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I signed up for the craic - all verified, ordered a card for 5.99

I want to set-up bank transfer so I can transfer from my ROI bank account, rather than topping up by card (incase I wanted to do a large top up)

The app has provided me with a GB IBAN? But on top it says EUR Account.... so AIB won't allow me to add the account as a Payee.

you can top up with large amounts on the app using a regular card, ive added 10k no problem

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    you can top up with large amounts on the app using a regular card, ive added 10k no problem

I appreciate that, but when I try to top up via Debit card, there's a Revoult charge. I purposely have a small limit on my credit card (I have both set-up).

Also, the whole point of ordering this is to not have my traditional credit / debit card with me (obviously we'd have a backup) - but to be able to top up via bank transfer and then withdraw the cash (via Revoult card) a day or two later.

-Edit- Just went to top up by 1,000 (for example) EUR with my AIB debit card - charge of €12.87! I'm wondering is there some issue here? The card appears as "Royal Bank of Scotland" - It's an AIB card!

• Advertisement

I appreciate that, but when I try to top up via Debit card, there's a Revoult charge. I purposely have a small limit on my credit card (I have both set-up).

Also, the whole point of ordering this is to not have my traditional credit / debit card with me (obviously we'd have a backup) - but to be able to top up via bank transfer and then withdraw the cash (via Revoult card) a day or two later.

-Edit- Just went to top up by 1,000 (for example) EUR with my AIB debit card - charge of €12.87! I'm wondering is there some issue here? The card appears as "Royal Bank of Scotland" - It's an AIB card!

you dont bring the cards with you just add them to the app and take from aib to revolut as and when and its instant and free

not sure what the situation is you are having, ive only ever paid a fee for cash withdrawls

you dont bring the cards with you just add them to the app and take from aib to revolut as and when and its instant and free

not sure what the situation is you are having, ive only ever paid a fee for cash withdrawls

I'll have to contact Revoult.... the card is showing up as Royal Bank of Scotland... think that might be the issue!

I'm just after copping... doesn't it have a limit of ATM withdrawal of 200 (400 premium) - Sure the whole point of ordering was for ATM withdrawals when i'm out Foreign. Might have just wasted 5.99 ordering a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

JohnCleary wrote:
    I'm just after copping... doesn't it have a limit of ATM withdrawal of 200 (400 premium) - Sure the whole point of ordering was for ATM withdrawals when i'm out Foreign. Might have just wasted 5.99 ordering a card.

Why would you want to withdraw more than 200 euro, it's brilliant for purchases abroad, London underground instead of oyster, instant transfer to Revolut by debit card top up, I have never been charged by my bank, then again, I have a fee free current account based on salary transfer amount per month, can also freeze the card when not in use, instant notification of purchases, being able to purchase foreign currency when rates are favourable,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

batistuta9 wrote: »
    You just use it for security then basically.
    How are you topping it up? Did your other bank card not get stolen too

No not just security. For cheap exchange rate..cheap fees. When travel with other half we drop cash on. And use for shared expenses..trains etc so easy to track spending then on the phone.

And sometimes used where Irish debut would not etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

That sounds like way to much messing about, I load up the card and spend it in whatever currency I need I have euro sterling dollars and shekels on mine

No messing around.. Takes like 10 seconds. Means I am spending from my current account "live" but if course some times drop a big amount on. Just works well for me..and also a sense of what I am spending

• Advertisement

No messing around.. Takes like 10 seconds. Means I am spending from my current account "live" but if course some times drop a big amount on. Just works well for me..and also a sense of what I am spending

Everybody is different I guess
    I don’t need a sense of what I’m spending I know what I’m spending and like to have various currencies loaded when the rates are low

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'll have to contact Revoult.... the card is showing up as Royal Bank of Scotland... think that might be the issue!

You've actually setup the wrong account horse.

You were in Sterling' mode when it gave you the GB account.

You have to be in euro mode and the choose top up it will give you a euro account to transfer into.

august12 wrote: »
    Why would you want to withdraw more than 200 euro, it's brilliant for purchases abroad, London underground instead of oyster, instant transfer to Revolut by debit card top up, I have never been charged by my bank, then again, I have a fee free current account based on salary transfer amount per month, can also freeze the card when not in use, instant notification of purchases, being able to purchase foreign currency when rates are favourable,

Let me give you an example...
    We travel to Thailand a lot. A very much cash country. So we'd withdraw maybe 500eur / week from the ATM. Very rarely use the card for actual purchases over there.

However, I will make use of the Revoult card for purchasing from UK etc.

I still cannot understand why Revoult (from within the app) is trying to charge me when attempting to top-up using my debit card.... is that happening to anyone else? No charge when attempting to top-up using my credit card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I still cannot understand why Revoult (from within the app) is trying to charge me when attempting to top-up using my debit card.... is that happening to anyone else? No charge when attempting to top-up using my credit card.

From Revolut FAQ: Please note that if you top up with a card that has not been issued within the EEA (e.g. a US based card) or you top up with a commercial card then we may charge a small fee just to cover our costs.

So it's likely Revolut is mistakenly(?) identifying your card as being a commercial card.

Let me give you an example...
    We travel to Thailand a lot. A very much cash country. So we'd withdraw maybe 500eur / week from the ATM. Very rarely use the card for actual purchases over there.

However, I will make use of the Revoult card for purchasing from UK etc.

Liatermint already said you set the account up wrong that’s why it’s charging you

listermint wrote: »
    You've actually setup the wrong account horse.

You were in Sterling' mode when it gave you the GB account.

You have to be in euro mode and the choose top up it will give you a euro account to transfer into.
    Liatermint already said you set the account up wrong that’s why it’s charging you

Cheers, have just submitted a support request from within the app.

Quackster wrote: »
    From Revolut FAQ: Please note that if you top up with a card that has not been issued within the EEA (e.g. a US based card) or you top up with a commercial card then we may charge a small fee just to cover our costs.

So it's likely Revolut is mistakenly(?) identifying your card as being a commercial card.

Cheers, again i'll contact them.

A GB IBAN is correct as Revolut's euro accounts are held in a UK bank. Transferring euro to a GB IBAN is exactly the same as transferring euro to any other IBAN - if there's an issue, it's AIB's fault and I'd get on to them about it.

Listermint already said you set the account up wrong that’s why it’s charging you

Listermint is wrong there. You are given a different GB IBAN depending on what currency you're transferring in. The only exception is your unique sterling account number is NOT an IBAN.

And all that has nothing to do with topping up by debit/credit card.

My account has a IBAN for EURO, GBP and USD.

Also to top up I use my debit card and have no fees

• Advertisement

A GB IBAN is correct as Revolut's euro accounts are held in a UK bank. Transferring euro to a GB IBAN is exactly the same as transferring euro to any other IBAN - if there's an issue, it's AIB's fault and I'd get on to them about it.

Many thanks.

When I try to add a Payee I get "Invalid Irish IBAN" - I guess with AIB I can only add an Irish Payee?

I was able to transfer into the Revoult account from AIB with no additional charges, BUT, AIB won't let me save the Payee as it's an 'International Transfer' - ffs!

Many thanks.

When I try to add a Payee I get "Invalid Irish IBAN" - I guess with AIB I can only add an Irish Payee?

I was able to transfer into the Revoult account from AIB with no additional charges, BUT, AIB won't let me save the Payee as it's an 'International Transfer' - ffs!
    If you top up via your card it shouldn’t have a charge.

ted1 wrote: »
    If you top up via your card it shouldn’t have a charge.

I have started a support ticket with Revoult re. charge when I try to top up via Debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

No not just security. For cheap exchange rate..cheap fees. When travel with other half we drop cash on. And use for shared expenses..trains etc so easy to track spending then on the phone.

And sometimes used where Irish debut would not etc

But are you not getting hit with the bank fees every time you top up?

Yeah it's very good for tracking with instant notifications & categories, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Listermint is wrong there. You are given a different GB IBAN depending on what currency you're transferring in. The only exception is your unique sterling account number is NOT an IBAN.

And all that has nothing to do with topping up by debit/credit card.

Theres 3 iban accounts available actually. Your wrong XXX

You need to set the currency correctly in the app. Support team are not needed for this.

I had the same issue last week when dealing with a currency transfer. Solved in app easily in seconds.

See here: https://imgur.com/a/DPkplMX

EUR account but GB IBAN

If I top up in euro but purchase in sterling, will it just deduct from my EUR balance and offer their rates, no fees etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

See here: https://imgur.com/a/DPkplMX

EUR account but GB IBAN

If I top up in euro but purchase in sterling, will it just deduct from my EUR balance and offer their rates, no fees etc?

Yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This thread has given some great info, but the offer it was started for is over so I think its best to continue the ongoing questions in the active thread in the Banking forum:> HERE

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement