Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

This may suit your brief. These are bullet proof tractors and not massive money. About 100-110 hp.
    That mxu looks very tired and could be a money pit. If you’re a handy mechanic it might be worth a look though. Don’t know what hours but cleaned up with a loader and a new set of tyres it’s easily worth 30k in a dealers yard.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/valtra-6550/25274177

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »
    Mu understanding is if you sell for more than the book value its classed as profit and so liable for tax.with trading its more of a greyer area as what was trade in valued at

Is it a case of the write down value, as in the cost to you of deal done, of the new machine will be reduced by whatver value the old machine was traded at so it would be one to watch and talk to the accountant about. It think they are the two options, either put it in as a profit or reduce the capital allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

C0N0R wrote: »
    Quick question, have a tractor that’s fully depreciated, it I trade that tractor in is there a tax issue or how does it work?

its based on capital allowances claimed not depreciation

Balancing charge if more capital allowances claimed that sold for. So after 8 years of claiming capital allowance the full selling valve. so your charged tax on it

Balancing allowance if the trade in valve is less that the Capital allowance.
    you get a tax credit

Sometimes its cheaper long run to keep a 2nd hand tractor than selling it/trading in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Grueller wrote: »
    Brand new case maxxum 115 with a case lrz 120 loader on board is €83k including vat and is imo a mile ahead of the massey.
    I have a trade in and the payments are €9800 per year for 7 years. I am on the high tax bracket so effectively the repayment costs me sub €5k after the tax write off. It is tempting to me.

It grand if you really have the money and have nothing else to spend it on. I have fierce patience buying cars tractors and machinery. A lad commented on it to me lately. Last tractor took me over 6 months to buy, RAV took me three months. Sometimes hit lucky came across the other half IX35 by accident and just bought it as it was too good value. Bought a car with the daughter for her two weeks ago went into Limerick's and 4th place we called to we bought.

You can make the same case for good second hand. A lad that pays 30k for a tractor, sells his own for 10k. Gives 10K if own money pays the rest off over two years at 100ish/week. She is still deprecated by over 4k/year. Even if he spends a it on maintenance its allowable in the year it happens.

Last tractor I bought cost 17.5k a MC Cormick CX 90 with a rossmore FL60 loader. I have it nearly two years, do about 300 hours a year. It worth at least 15k to sell myself now. After tax it will cost me 9k

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Grueller wrote: »
    Brand new case maxxum 115 with a case lrz 120 loader on board is €83k including vat and is imo a mile ahead of the massey.
    I have a trade in and the payments are €9800 per year for 7 years. I am on the high tax bracket so effectively the repayment costs me sub €5k after the tax write off. It is tempting to me.

5K will get alot of work done and no diesel burned.
    That's the route I've gone and I leave my old tractor in the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I have a 2006 McCormick 105 I have it close to 6 years and there is 4200 hours on it.

Had looked at selling it and buying a 130Hp 6 cylinder and a smaller 80hp tractor also .

But the plan is now to buy a 150-170hp plus tractor and forget about the 110-130hp range and keep my CX105

Everyone is after that horse power range and simple economics of supply and demand is pushing prices crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

If you think it hard to source 120HP tractors try to source 80-100 HP tractors from 00 on. As well as lads either started to do more if not contracting hours climbed

very true. Our 20 year old massey, which we bought when it was 4 years old has only lost €4-5k max over the time we've owned it. There are very few new tractors being sold under 100hp now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

That tractor looks like it has a share of hours on it, seats are all torn which is a right sigh of high use. Tyres are bald too so factor in another 3k for a new set of shoes. Price is plus VAT and if so then theirs a fresh looking English McCormick MC115 at Pat healys in Cork for similar money https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/mccormick-mc115/20542386
    Far better tractor than the case as the McCormick has the Perkins 1104C-44T Engine which is Bomb proof

You have got me thinking about McCormick. A dependable tractor with not much electrics is what I'm after. They seem to be better value too. I mist give a closer look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

So lads are the 150 to 170hp tractors better value now than the 100 to 120hp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

straight wrote: »
    You have got me thinking about McCormick. A dependable tractor with not much electrics is what I'm after. They seem to be better value too. I mist give a closer look at them.

The McCormick MC series are the most under rated tractor.
    Avoid the cheaper CX versions, they are totally different in the Engine, Gearbox,Back-end and cab.
    The MCs have the heavy backend and gearbox. Sell for less than the Case Mxu but a far better tractor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Its like lads waxing lyricial about 110-90s and such used to run them and now have a case puma 160, you could do a 15 hour day in the case and you would be fresh as a daisy at the end, a few hours in a 110-90 and it would be like a lad took a sledge to you after driving it

It fully depends on what your doing with it, as a loader tractor for a dairy farmer who spents 80% of the tractors hours around the yard loading and up and down on it with dirty clothes, and rarely longer than half an hr a time on it then comfort is much less of an issues than 15hrs a day on one at tillage work, it's why stockman tractors with less electronics/comfort which can often cost 15/20k less than a normal spec tractor new are still very common in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭jaymla627

degetme wrote: »

I traded in a 16 plate t6140 with loader and 4650 hours on the clock, for a 15 plate case puma 160 with 2400 hours 50k sidewinder air brakes/exhaust /front suspension and new front links and pto, the cost to change was 13k.....
    Pricing the two above tractors new today, the case would be costing 30k more then the new holland to buy, alot more chance of higher repair bills with bigger tractors if you buy one thats been used like a rally car by young lads at silage, you need to know where the tractor has come out of really, where as the t6140 are pretty much bombproof in comparison

Timmaay wrote: »
    It fully depends on what your doing with it, as a loader tractor for a dairy farmer who spents 80% of the tractors hours around the yard loading and up and down on it with dirty clothes, and rarely longer than half an hr a time on it then comfort is much less of an issues than 15hrs a day on one at tillage work, it's why stockman tractors with less electronics/comfort which can often cost 15/20k less than a normal spec tractor new are still very common in Ireland.

I would disagree on that myself I have to say, there is a lot to be said for comfort and higher spec for yard and loader work too. To go back having to change gears, constant clutching etc, no air seat no air con on a hot day would not appeal to me at all. Even things like front suspension when doing field work, you probably wont notice the difference it makes until you have it but not getting bounced around when brining in bales etc really makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

The transport box would look fierce small on the back of a 170hp yoke.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I’ve been eying up a steyr 9094 which is a Case CS94 in its original red and white clothes.

Much heavier backend on it than the CX90 I have at the moment
    It’s in off farm condition but looks to be in good nick.
    Downsides: bald tires, no loader, no left hand shuttle.
    €17k asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I guess it goes back to comparing buying an older machine which may require higher maintenance costs vs buying a new machine in which you'll know the history and have regular servicing costs for the first number of years and / or a warranty for a bit as well.
    Either way the cost of machinery is getting serious. 34 yr old jcb 412 here will require more work this year and I'll have to find tyres for it as well and looking around anything to replace it in Ireland anyway in the 25k price bracket is near 20 yrs old as well so not exactly guaranteed to be issue free. The new version is probably around the 100k plus mark? If bought new and kept over the 20 years wouldnt look too bad but it needs paying over the 5 to 7 year period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

It depends on what you mean by value. Tractors in that horse power bracket will more than likely be contractor machines, unless it came off an arable farm. Most contractor machines are not owner driven, and are usually traded before they need any major overhauls or tyres. You could get lucky, but you are more than likely to end up spending a lot more on maintenance than a smaller stock/dairy man tractor.
    That being said, some tractors in that range are going up in price. Its possible that a 6010 or 7010 deere bought second hand 10 years ago, could be sold on at a profit now, even with the higher hours. John Deere 7810 go for crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bought a 03 tm for 25k.last year, lovely tractor to.drive but prob a little big for most farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We were looking to trade in for a replacement yard tractor which would help bringing in bales etc.

Mccormick dealer told us same as previous poster that the cx is a light tractor and the mc is a much better machine.

Sheds and passageway size here still makes a need for the smaller tractor. It's say there are plenty of farms in same situation. There might be better value in the bigger machines, but they are no use if they can't get into the sheds or turn easily in yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, would you be looking at something like this maybe?

Difficult to tell from the photos mind

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-4360-c-w-895-loader/25126955

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I bought a McCormack 105 in 2008 for €20,500 up north (exchange rate was very favourable at the time). Sold in 2015 as part of trade in for €25k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Them landini powerfarms have a very light backend, and big enough loader on it, so your gonna definitely need decent back end weight for any sort of silage bales etc, the 2nd one looks like it has 400kg of wheel weights at least, that's the min I'd be going with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

There will be a pile of tractors coming over from UK in the next year if you can hold off. Covid fall out, plus Brexit will see a drop in prices and some good imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

There will be a pile of tractors coming over from UK in the next year if you can hold off. Covid fall out, plus Brexit will see a drop in prices and some good imports.

That's my thinking too. Crazy prices at the moment. Alot of them tractors you posted looked to be priced ok but they were plus VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would a no-deal Brexit impose different restrictions on importing?

I suppose it would go the same as if you were importing from the US or Japan (although maybe there are deals in place for those countries already)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

straight wrote: »
    That's my thinking too. Crazy prices at the moment. Alot of them tractors you posted looked to be priced ok but they were plus VAT.

VAT on a 25K tractor is nearly 6K. If not Vat registered it takes such a tractor to above 30K

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

MXU 135:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-mxu-135-50k/25252404

Can you tell I'm working from home today :D
    Thats a clean looking tractor for an 05. Fairplay to that dealer he has them like new

timple23 wrote: »

Is that a 6 cylinder? It has a big strong loader on it too
    Would a no-deal Brexit impose different restrictions on importing?

I suppose it would go the same as if you were importing from the US or Japan (although maybe there are deals in place for those countries already)

A no deal could see VRT of 30% added to all second hand vehicles and machinery.
    I doubt we'll get a no deal brexit as the Scots are threatening to pull out of the UK now so they'll have to get a good trade deal to keep them happy

Advertisement