Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

12Z UKMO

UW96-21_mrk6.GIF

2s6gPbq.gif?1

U96-21UK_rnu9.GIF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

:eek: Don't see that every day. This could or is becoming a serious matter me thinks.

tempresult_nhj6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is mostly for mods, but open to general discussion -- if all guidance looks this intense after the 00z model runs, and if GFS starts to drift back towards consensus, then I think level 2 is justified and if that continued into 12z Saturday then level 3, with the original post edited to reflect the upgraded level of concern.

Our philosophy has always been to go with the highest level likely to affect any significant part of the country so it doesn't have to be level 3 in Dublin to justify that designation, but maps can be produced to show what level applies to each part of the country. From the current guidance excluding GFS, would say level 3 would apply to almost all of Munster, some parts of Connacht and perhaps southwest Leinster, level 2 would apply to almost all other regions. Some tracks might put Donegal into only a level 1 exposure and there could be sheltered parts of the southeast in level 1 also.

For your planning, the strongest winds would likely come from nearly due south veering to southwest during the event. You can do some harmless (costless) advance planning simply by inspecting your location for possible tree falling potential, trees are most likely to fall towards the north through northeast, and make sure your vehicle won't be parked in any such location, also if you think you are susceptible to roof tile damage, same concept applies, flying debris will head towards north-northeast. A lot of vehicle damage at least can be avoided by choosing a parking spot (if you can't park indoors) that is unlikely to be impacted by falling or flying debris. It's going to be a nice warm weekend for many so lots of time to get as ready as possible if this continues to be the model trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A nice image at 1540Z. Notable is the absence of a central dense overcast, so it seems to have an appearance more like a medicane (Mediterranean hurricane).

2017AL17_1KMSRRGB_201710121540_SYNT.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ARPEGE is going for 150kmph+ gusts further east and along the south coast. Inland gusts nationwide over 130kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Any tips on securing windows if this comes to the worst?

Irish houses don't have storm shutters. Is there anything we can do to protect windows that won't just blow off and become flying debris themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just curious, but would this be as strong as Darwin in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

What volume of rain could this conceivably dump on us?

not 100% sure on the reliability of this site but it seems to be endorsed by some in the know in the US

on5JBvy.png

tqVvDax.png

Ojq4fkV.png

yiOccKm.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just curious, but would this be as strong as Darwin in 2014?

Much stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think people need to remember that the system will be racing northwards at over 50 km/h so the duration of max winds won't be prolonged, just like Debbie in 1961.

track1b.gif

These were the max winds reported during that event. The problem was the storm's motion northwards at around 60 km/hr, otherwise winds would have been much less.

debbie-winds.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What volume of rain could this conceivably dump on us?

I dont think thats the concern right now but if it tracks further east the West could be on for a dumping instead of the nightmarish winds

Very much like the ECM track

MH9ehiW.png

The NHC forecast at these times is similar to the previous
    one and lies on the right side of the deterministic guidance
    envelope but is near the middle of the ECMWF, UKMET and GEFS
    ensemble members. Regardless of the exact track, post-tropical
    Ophelia is likely to bring some impacts to Ireland and the United
    Kingdom as a powerful extratropical cyclone in 4 to 5 days.

KEY MESSAGES:

1. Ophelia is expected to transition to a hurricane-force post-
    tropical cyclone by Monday when it moves near Ireland and the
    United Kingdom. While post-tropical Ophelia will likely bring some
    direct impacts from wind and heavy rain to portions of these areas,
    as well as dangerous marine conditions, given the forecast
    uncertainty at these time ranges it is too soon to determine the
    exact magnitude, timing and location of the impacts. Residents in
    Ireland and the United Kingdom should monitor the progress of
    Ophelia for the next several days. For more information on local
    impacts, residents of Ireland should refer to products issued by Met
    Eireann and residents in the United Kingdom should refer to products
    issued by the Met Office.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 12/1500Z 30.5N 35.6W 80 KT 90 MPH
    12H 13/0000Z 30.9N 34.9W 80 KT 90 MPH
    24H 13/1200Z 31.6N 33.4W 80 KT 90 MPH
    36H 14/0000Z 32.7N 30.8W 75 KT 85 MPH
    48H 14/1200Z 34.4N 27.3W 75 KT 85 MPH
    72H 15/1200Z 40.9N 18.8W 75 KT 85 MPH
    96H 16/1200Z 51.0N 12.5W 65 KT 75 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    120H 17/1200Z 60.5N 5.5W 55 KT 65 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh God. I am here alone from Sunday night till Wednesday, and quite frankly I am mighty scared about this.

I know this is a weather forum, and lots of you like chasing storms and praying for snow and so on, but on this occasion given the potential severity of this event, maybe we should hope and pray that it veers West and fecks off into the Atlantic.

I'm in Dublin, and hoping against hope that it stays out to sea somewhere between here and America.

It is a great thread to remind people of the dangers. But there is only so much you can do apart from battening down the hatches and taking the precautions that MT has so kindly posted. I will be terrified either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ARPEGE is going for 150kmph+ gusts further east and along the south coast. Inland gusts nationwide over 130kmph

Basically a nationwide red warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Oh God. I am here alone from Sunday night till Wednesday, and quite frankly I am mighty scared about this.

I know this is a weather forum, and lots of you like chasing storms and praying for snow and so on, but on this occasion given the potential severity of this event, maybe we should hope and pray that it veers West and fecks off into the Atlantic.

I'm in Dublin, and hoping against hope that it stays out to sea somewhere between here and America.

It is a great thread to remind people of the dangers. But there is only so much you can do apart from battening down the hatches and taking the precautions that MT has so kindly posted. I will be terrified either way.

At the moment the very worst case prediction for Dublin has been 130km/h gusts. We've seen that several times in the last few years, so unless it takes a hefty swing east, I wouldn't be too worried. By no means complacent either, but it wouldn't be catastrophic here by any means.

Western and southern coastal areas would be a totally different story however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

ECMWF seems to track further east that before, Dublin and the east coast suddenly could be in the danger zone yet.

Gonna be plenty of hype in the media that a hurricane is hitting us but even with a direct hit it'll be long transitioned to post tropical so rainfall amounts will be fraction of what you'd get in a real hurricane and the eyewall structure will be gone

To the guy asking whether it'll be worse than Desmond, on this evenings guidance I'd say potentially yes and there's the added problem that most trees are still full of leaves so will blow over much easier than in a similar storm in December. Again though, its still 4 days away so for now just keep an eye on forecasts, if we're seeing similar charts on Saturday evening then it's time to get more worried. We'll likely see plenty more shifts in track and intensity before then

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

The trees won't be full of leaves on Tuesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

sdanseo wrote: »
    At the moment the very worst case prediction for Dublin has been 130km/h gusts. We've seen that several times in the last few years, so unless it takes a hefty swing east, I wouldn't be too worried. By no means complacent either, but it wouldn't be catastrophic here by any means.

Western and southern coastal areas would be a totally different story however.

130kph winds :eek:

But thanks for the reassurance. Things can change from day to day, so let's hope for the best. Just got a brand new roof on the shed/garage two weeks ago. Feck sake. But as long as no lives are lost hopefully all will be ok.

Still scared witless, but will be watching this thread avidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ECMWF seems to track further east that before, Dublin and the east coast suddenly could be in the danger zone yet.

Gonna be plenty of hype in the media that a hurricane is hitting us but even with a direct hit it'll be long transitioned to post tropical so rainfall amounts will be fraction of what you'd get in a real hurricane and the eyewall structure will be gone

To the guy asking whether it'll be worse than Desmond, on this evenings guidance I'd say potentially yes and there's the added problem that most trees are still full of leaves so will blow over much easier than in a similar storm in December. Again though, its still 4 days away so for now just keep an eye on forecasts, if we're seeing similar charts on Saturday evening then it's time to get more worried. We'll likely see plenty more shifts in track and intensity before then

I know we aren't expecting much rain, but how good are we in Ireland about predicting storm surges? Genuine question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

West coast here. I have stocked up on Polytunnel repair tape and a major reinforcement will be made to the structures over next couple of days. It's kind of scary to be honest ...following for info :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

...130km/h gusts. We've seen that several times in the last few years...

Not in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

__..__ wrote: »
    The trees won't be full of leaves on Tuesday :)

What trees? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Akrasia wrote: »
    Any tips on securing windows if this comes to the worst?

Irish houses don't have storm shutters. Is there anything we can do to protect windows that won't just blow off and become flying debris themselves?

We lived in a rental house with a couple of massive west-facing windows.... Taped them with criss-crossed masking tape to prevent shattering (like WWII style)

Dunno how effective it actually is.... Gave us something constructive to do I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd better check the generator, get some fuel and sharpen the chainsaws and some spare chains just in case.
    Drum of water wouldn't be stupid either.
    It may amount to nothing but I'd rather be ready than not in this case if the worst forecasts are half accurate.
    This time of year trees are still carrying a lot of leaf and will be very susceptible to high winds, not alone that the ground has had a lot of rain as well in the last week.
    It could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not in Dublin!

Maybe not, although without doing any digging online I can only be anecdotal, I've certainly seen >60kt gusts in Dublin Airport METARs a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I remember the Xmas storms a couple of decades ago (90’s someone here will point the date,there was one two xmas’s in a row) and the main item on the BBC tv news was 100000 homes in the republic without power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Maybe not, although without doing any digging online I can only be anecdotal, I've certainly seen >60kt gusts in Dublin Airport METARs a few times.

You'd want 70kt+ gusts to be getting 130km/h gusts. Strongest I remember in recent years was 79kts at Shannon, that was a scarily windy Wednesday!(12/02/14).

Advertisement