Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Does anybody else have that urge to tell friends and family there could be a very significant storm coming,but you don't won't to end up looking a fool,if it doesn't come off.

I'm saying nothing until closer to the event. I'm not going to make a langer of myself if this misses us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Will i take the washing in so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Does anybody else have that urge to tell friends and family there could be a very significant storm coming,but you don't won't to end up looking a fool,if it doesn't come off.

I’ve already done that and got the usual “arra it won’t happen!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Most rags and the internet beat you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That counts for every event thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Hang on so it's now a CAT 2 hurricane and the NHC have it as a hurricane over Ireland ?

Any of the experts here want to give any advice as to how this could change by Monday for the better for us ?

They have hurricane force winds over us but not a hurricane(once it changes to a white circle its no longer a hurricane), big difference in terms of rainfall and organisation of winds, even the wind is just about borderline category 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Comparison between the 4pm and 10pm forecasts:

5448d463dd3554024d5ca5ee63a2e19e.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like the nhc are thinking gfs has it too far West.....and not for the first time have they gone against the US model.

In fact the gfs has been very poor this Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'll be warning my elderly neighbours to stock up on torches/candles anyway, or letting them know I'll have some if they need them. It doesn't take much to knock the power out and it's dark early this time of year. At least it should stay relatively warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They have hurricane force winds over us but not a hurricane(once it changes to a white circle its no longer a hurricane), big difference in terms of rainfall and organisation of winds, even the wind is just about borderline category 1.

Thanks, you summed up the difference much better than my meandering nattering. Still though, 120km/h sustained winds is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ophelia to head straight for Hamlet states weatherman

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

aisling86 wrote: »
    If a level 3 warning is issued, do schools close? It wouldn't have been something I had to think about previous years....

"Status Red Weather Warning for Wind

Schools should note in particular Status Red weather warnings where strong winds or storm
    conditions are forecasted. Due to the high degree of unpredictability as to the impact of the
    weather associated with such a Status Red warning on local conditions schools should use the
    following guidance to assist them in making their assessment.
    Status Red weather warning for wind related conditions may be given in advance of a school
    opening or it may arise during the day while a school is underway.

Advance Warning of Status Red
    Following consultation at a national level with the Office of Emergency Planning and the
    management bodies for schools, the Department of Education and Skills’ advice to schools is
    that they should consider not opening where a Status Red weather warning related to wind is
    forecast to coincide with the period/s during which students and staff would be expected to be
    travelling to and from school.
    Whether the school should open later in the day where an improvement to the weather is
    forecast is a decision which should be taken in consultation with An Garda Síochána, the local
    authorities, school transport services and other appropriate agencies based in the school’s area."
    From Dept guidance in 2015. They rarely orders closure, but this as near as it gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Ophelia to head straight for Hamlet states weatherman

To be, or not to be. That is the question...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Kalyke

JiffyJ wrote: »
    To be, or not to be. That is the question...

Soft you now,The fair Ophelia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭mikeecho

This weekend might be a good time to make a little emergency box for the house.
    Torches /batteries/ candles etc. Sort out my camping stove and buy some water.

I've a well, so no power, means no water.

Or am I over reacting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

mikeecho wrote: »

Or am I over reacting ?
    IMO you can never be too prepared....
    (Plenty of biscuits too....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This shows just how bizarre this event is.

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/918588394682437632

18Z GFS at +96 hrs. Still not playing ball with the other models it seems. Sending it on a more westerly track.

gfs-0-96_quc2.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

You can see how Ophelia is sandwiched between two areas of HP, each area would help to give it rotation and the jet perfectly poised to steer it in towards us.

NOAA

6dudd9J.png

vCPOHCH.png?1

3eg57ta.png?1

tempresult_jff8.gif

yOkrOW5.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

GO WEST there are no people there

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just sticking the 5pm (EDT) NHC chart in here as a screen shot for future reference. I've never seen a 'H' over Ireland before, even if it is showing the system as extra-tropical by then.

Mam's Mam remembered Debbie in 1961. She was in Westport in Co. Mayo at the time. Her abiding memory was the sheer amount of stuff flying around. Roof slates etc.

430432.jpg

I live underneath that H:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mikeecho wrote: »

Or am I over reacting ?

Imo always a good idea to have that kind of thing around, and one of those big 5l water bottles that you can store empty and fill just before any weather event is going to happen. None of it is perishable, and it doesn't take up a whole lot of room. Very rare that you'd have to use it in Ireland, but having it already beats having to rush out last minute to grab it, or not having it at all.

I remember I knew some families on the US East coast, and when they knew there was some heavy snowfall on the way, they'd fill the bathtubs with water, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

is it time to dust off Monopoly, and candles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm torn between staying at home on Monday to keep an eye on things and going in to work, I'm starting to fear I could come back to a ruin!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

18Z GFS at +96 hrs. Still not playing ball with the other models it seems. Sending it on a more westerly track.

It seems to me that it is a bit more E than the last run. The GFS is not showing winds as strong as the European models at this stage.

89lhH9R.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fire up the powerbanks. Get a few batteries for the torches, a few candles (and matches!), I never remember to have them. Water is unlikely to be cut off but no harm to get a few bottles anyway. Food that you can eat without cooking it. If you only have electricity that is.

That's my priority prepping!

Getting very worried now, but have to park it till Saturday. We might know more tomorrow though.

Thank you to all who have the knowledge to interpret all the charts, and the inside track and are keeping us posted. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

So the general consensus is that Cork will get a hammering? Have a house in West cork, by Rosscarbery so wondering if I need to scrap my plans and go down there this weekend to tie everything down! Directly across from the Ocean in Owenahinca!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

So the general consensus is that Cork will get a hammering? Have a house in West cork, by Rosscarbery so wondering if I need to scrap my plans and go down there this weekend to tie everything down! Directly across from the Ocean in Owenahinca!

I think Japan will be OK. :D

Advertisement