Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,708 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Morrison J wrote: »
    The Tomas Ryan episodes are essential listening.

More scaremongering imo, lockdown is ending regardless of what the government says I see it everyday.

The economy needs to recover or we'll enter a self imposed depression which will last for years. Cocoon the over 70's and people with underlying illnesses and let everyone else go back to work and get on with their lives.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I agree, I thought his point about the total absence of leadership on masks was also well made.

More scaremongering imo, lockdown is ending regardless of what the government says I see it everyday.

The economy needs to recover or we'll enter a self imposed depression which will last for years. Cocoon the over 70's and people with underlying illnesses and let everyone else go back to work and get on with their lives.

I think this point was referred to on the show (Mark Paul in the IT raised it among others). A second or third wave would be far more damaging to the economy, and I'm not sure how a clear separation can be made given that the over 70s and those with underlying conditions have to deal with a) family members who may share the home with them, or b) carers / nursing home workers who also have families and lives to get on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Agreed.

Of course, I hope he's wrong.

But, we've reached the point where people don't want to hear the unvarnished truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I can’t say I’ve ever read anything from Mark Paul. You need to pay for the Irish Times
    He came across well on the podcast. I hope he becomes a regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Arghus wrote: »
    Agreed.

Of course, I hope he's wrong.

But, we've reached the point where people don't want to hear the unvarnished truth.

What has Thomas Ryan being saying?

• Advertisement

I think this point was referred to on the show (Mark Paul in the IT raised it among others). A second or third wave would be far more damaging to the economy, and I'm not sure how a clear separation can be made given that the over 70s and those with underlying conditions have to deal with a) family members who may share the home with them, or b) carers / nursing home workers who also have families and lives to get on with.

Over half the deaths in the first wave were in nursing homes, and much of the rest in hospitals, despite an aggressive lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It seems a bit odd to me that despite the PL coming back today there's been no soccer podcasts in over a fortnight. When there was no soccer on Eamo was firing them out

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

NDWC wrote: »
    It seems a bit odd to me that despite the PL coming back today there's been no soccer podcasts in over a fortnight. When there was no soccer on Eamo was firing them out

Not to worry, the boys were back today! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I thought at the start of the year "wow Eamonn has really upped his game". He was posting far more frequently, and was posting when stories were relevant (as opposed to posting once a week or every monday).

However, the show has become so monotonous at this stage, I am considering just removing it from the phone altogether. Eamonn, I know how yourself and Niall Stanage feel about Trump, I know how you feel about Boris Johnson, and I know what you think will happen to the economy because of COVID.

Now I will give him the disclaimer that there has been a shutdown and the news agenda has been limited to the one story. But if things don't pick up I'll be dropping the podcast altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I thought at the start of the year "wow Eamonn has really upped his game". He was posting far more frequently, and was posting when stories were relevant (as opposed to posting once a week or every monday).

However, the show has become so monotonous at this stage, I am considering just removing it from the phone altogether. Eamonn, I know how yourself and Niall Stanage feel about Trump, I know how you feel about Boris Johnson, and I know what you think will happen to the economy because of COVID.

Now I will give him the disclaimer that there has been a shutdown and the news agenda has been limited to the one story. But if things don't pick up I'll be dropping the podcast altogether.

Goddam him for talking about 3 of the most significant topics in current affairs at the moment.

In the last week, he's also done pieces on Kinahan, a new Irish government and premier league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

6 months ago I thought the show was getting quite stale with the same 4 or 5 guests on all the time but I think he has broadened the amount of contributors since the start of the year and it's really helped freshened things up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PodcastReview

This podcast seems to be going around in circles.

Trump, Brexit, Football, Crime, Covid + Repeat

I really want to like Dunphy as he's made a lot of himself from humble beginnings. Why he always reaches for the sensationalist lever is beyond me.

Tomas Ryan comes across as someone with a chip on his shoulder that he was left out of the important desision making. Instead spends his time writing public letters, appearing on any podcast/radio/TV show that will have him and generally saying very little apart from project management buzz words
    "approach"
    "my view"

I don't know how Nicola Tallant (ironic name) is a self styled crime insider. All she does is repeat a few names and regurgiatate what has been made public through the courts. Her and her ilk are only raising the status of career criminals, it's all irrelevant for the general public, except maybe the kind of person who buy tabloids.

Since Mick Clifford left it's all gone downhill. I'd even take a Verona Murphy special at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tomas Ryan would have been at thx Black Lives Matter demonstrations only he had to mind the kids.

Then spends the rest of the discussion saying we can’t have groups of people together.

I’m sure his liberal friends in TCD were having a nice tug listening to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

This podcast seems to be going around in circles.

Trump, Brexit, Football, Crime, Covid + Repeat

I really want to like Dunphy as he's made a lot of himself from humble beginnings. Why he always reaches for the sensationalist lever is beyond me.

Tomas Ryan comes across as someone with a chip on his shoulder that he was left out of the important desision making. Instead spends his time writing public letters, appearing on any podcast/radio/TV show that will have him and generally saying very little apart from project management buzz words
    "approach"
    "my view"

I don't know how Nicola Tallant (ironic name) is a self styled crime insider. All she does is repeat a few names and regurgiatate what has been made public through the courts. Her and her ilk are only raising the status of career criminals, it's all irrelevant for the general public, except maybe the kind of person who buy tabloids.

Since Mick Clifford left it's all gone downhill. I'd even take a Verona Murphy special at this stage.

I'd say he's more populist than sensationalist. His politics are as edgy as a Tescos ad campaign. Of course they are paying his wages.

He isn't as honest as he once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agree - he needs to shake up the guest list and change the topics a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Tomas Ryan would have been at thx Black Lives Matter demonstrations only he had to mind the kids.

Then spends the rest of the discussion saying we can’t have groups of people together.

I’m sure his liberal friends in TCD were having a nice tug listening to that.

He explained how it wasn't a superspreader event in fairness.

I hope Tomas Ryan is wrong but I'm more inclined to listen to someone like him than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

w"

I quite like the Nicola Tallant interviews actually.
    Always find myself learning some new stuff each time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Obrieski wrote: »
    I quite like the Nicola Tallant interviews actually.
    Always find myself learning some new stuff each time

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

me too

Same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The crime podcast is possibly my favourite one. Interested in that area anyway so although i know most of it already i dont see any problem with Nicolla Tallant. Just doing her job and she has a passion for it. My only problem is mouthpiece Dunphy treating it as a joke and making inappropriate gags and constantly interrupting Tallant to rehash old obvious stories.

Example: Tallant may mention Gerry Hutch. This will usually lead to Dunphy bizarrely telling us he's called the Monk and never dealt in drugs and capped off with a joke about him driving around town in his limo. Why the hell does he have to ruin every bit of flow to a story with repeated rubbish that everybody has heard a million times? He's a pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think the whole tone of the Swedish conversation on COVID is all wrong. There seems to be too much of a willingness on the part of both Eamonn and his contributor for Sweden's policy to fail miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I find Philip O'Connor to be a bit of a dose but I guess there aren't that many Irish journalists in Sweden. What I'm picking up from the podcasts is that the jury is still out on whether Sweden's approach is the right one or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't want to accuse Dunphy of scraping the barrel but his chats with recurring guests like Johns, Stanage and O' Connor are starting to wear thin. This is in no way due to the guests but rather Dunphy repeating the same questions ad hominem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Tork wrote: »
    I find Philip O'Connor to be a bit of a dose but I guess there aren't that many Irish journalists in Sweden. What I'm picking up from the podcasts is that the jury is still out on whether Sweden's approach is the right one or not.

Yes, and very one directional negative mocking tone taken towards the Swedish approach. We have an atrocious record ourselves, particularly in light of stats regarding front line health staff yet nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'll echo what a few have already said. Having the same guests on constantly and having them discuss similar topics each time has become every bit as repetitive as you'd expect.

Tomás Ryan in particular needs to be cut loose. It'd be great to get someone on with a different perspective (and less annoying accent)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't listen to Tomás Ryan because I have a pretty good idea what he's going to say - again. The Swedish updates are pretty pointless too because there isn't much new to report. I always enjoy the Niall Stanage ones. There is always something new to talk about and he does try to give us both sides of the story. I wonder does part of the repetition come from Dunphy's line of questioning? If I had a Euro for every time he mentioned the words "John Bolton and Hawk" in the one sentence, or "Anders Tegnell and Tattoo" I'd be accumulating a nice retirement fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

No holding back with slating Pogba in the recent podcast. Surprised Souness didn't make a cameo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Good chat with Fionnán Sheehan.

Nice to hear a fresh voice on the podcast, hopefully we'll hear more from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Tork wrote: »
    or "Anders Tegnell and Tattoo" I'd be accumulating a nice retirement fund.

grew a bit weary of this also and was curious so had a peak, I'd rather get the corona virus, ebola and a nice topping of HIV than have this tattooed on myself

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-tegnell-tattoo/the-man-with-the-epidemiologist-tattoo-a-very-swedish-tribute-idUSKCN2292G7

Advertisement