Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

Greaney wrote: »
    Just something to think about.... Galway was so gridlocked Tuesday, it took the Oranmore bus 1 hour & 20 mins. Since it's 6 miles to Oranmore, we can take it that the average speed of the bus was just over 13.3 miles per hour.

Might want to recalculate
    Our traffic is getting worse. we really have to take mass transit seriously and stop throwing buses out there as the solution to all our traffic & travel chaos. I've long suspected those that do, drive a lot more than they take any other mode of transport.

Buses will suffice for the foreseeable future once they have the bus lanes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Gosh yes, I calculated that backwards, that was 4.6 miles per hour, my bad

I was presenting the case that rail would not be adding to Galways gridlock. I was replying to an anti-rail quote rather than a pro-bike one.

I happen to cycle and find it very confusing that those who are arguing for the Northern half of the WRC to be turned into a green way aren't taking the full spectrum of cycling into account. If folk were really pro-bike that wanted the green way, I'd be seeing them a lot more on other forums and discussions regarding bike parking etc. Indeed, I don't think that argument is rail v bike but tourism income v mass transit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Throwing bike lanes into the mix will be like throwing a sausage up the aisle of a cathedral.

My quote wasn't about cycling but the eagerness to turn the Western Rail Corridor into a green way, and not taking mass transit into account. Those that are arguing for the rail to be turned to trail, cite buses as the alternative to rail, in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

My quote wasn't about cycling but the eagerness to turn the Western Rail Corridor into a green way, and not taking mass transit into account. Those that are arguing for the rail to be turned to trail, cite buses as the alternative to rail, in this case.

The WRC is not proposed as and will never be "mass transit".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I popped down to the Ballyglunin for their Heritage Week event. There were about 50+ folk there in the two hours after Lunch. Gosh, it's a lovely building and has huge ceilings. I drove from Athenry as I really wouldn't have the legs to have cycled the 30km round trip, Also I had my sister (disabled) nephew and a friend in the car. On the way there, I spotted about 4km cycle path between Abbeyknockmoy and Ballyglunin. It was from the Village to the top of the Ballyglunin road (about 2km away from the station). The river is slowmoving and wide (blue way?)

I was bold enough to ask folk about why they wanted rail and here are their reasons...
    1) Since 50% of all workers in Galway city live in the county, they mostly work in Galway and have to run two cars. If they had a train they'd only need one. A car is €4k-€6k to run per year. A rail ticket is less than €1.5k
    2) There's no secondary school on Ballyglunin so the children have to go to Athenry or Tuam. No public transport means it's expensive or they've very little choice in either schools or hobbies.
    3) Students cannot afford to live in Galway due to rent, and cannot afford cars. There's no public transport from Ballyglunin whatsoever, so they really struggle, sometimes renting in Athenry and get the train from there to college.
    4) The residents were under no illusion about Ballyglunins tourism potential. They honestly think there's not much. Their one tourism attraction (glamping) has been shut down by the fire officer.
    5) Ballyglunin lost it's post-office over a year ago. The committee are looking to the future & their old age. A train would mean they're less isolated.

Finally, two car loads of us (at least) had visited from Athenry to support them. We believe there should be rail in future. We think the train service we have is amazing and support mass transit. We also love to cycle and are involved in some cycling projects (leisure & transit, not sport) but think we should be looking at alternatives to ripping up the rail to cycle to our neighbouring parishes.

This is a lovely parochial story, but there isn't anything in it at all to suggest a positive cost/benefit analysis for a reopening.

A small number of people wanting a train does not mean a train is viable. Even reasonably large numbers of people are better served by bus - and there is zero justification for providing massive state funding for people who "prefer" a train as is frequently brought up on here.

The people of Ballyglunin should be pushing for a bus, as they might actually get one. They aren't getting a train service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they won't i'm afraid. they won't reduce the traffic congestion and create a modal shift sufficient enough to deal with the traffic issue.

a good light rail system, at least in part, will. luas and other light rail concepts are proof of this.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

they won't i'm afraid. they won't reduce the traffic congestion and create a modal shift sufficient enough to deal with the traffic issue.

a good light rail system, at least in part, will. luas and other light rail concepts are proof of this.

Where does Luas to Ballyglunin rank in terms of Luas to Finglas, Bray, Irishtown, Logan, and a Luas System in Cork?

Should An Spideal get a spaceport also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

eastwest wrote: »
    But if there is zero chance of a railway? Nobody is going to build a railway to bring a few kids to school; there us already a motorway, and buses are cheaper and more flexible.

Just something to think about.... Galway was so gridlocked Tuesday, it took the Oranmore bus 1 hour & 20 mins. Since it's 6 miles to Oranmore, we can take it that the average speed of the bus was just over 13.3 miles per hour.

Our traffic is getting worse. we really have to take mass transit seriously and stop throwing buses out there as the solution to all our traffic & travel chaos. I've long suspected those that do, drive a lot more than they take any other mode of transport.
    There is a railway from Oranmore to Galway, but if it's not solving the traffic it suggests one of two things. Either the services aren't frequent enough, or it doesn't bring people to where they want to go.
    I was referring to a post that suggested that people in Ballyglunin aspired to having a railway built to bring their kids to school in Athenry, when clearly a bus on the lightly used motorway is a far more cost-effective solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

donvito99 wrote: »
    Where does Luas to Ballyglunin rank in terms of Luas to Finglas, Bray, Irishtown, Logan, and a Luas System in Cork?

Should An Spideal get a spaceport also?

Spiddle Spaceport now! But seriously unless something fundamentally changes with land use and transportation policy in the west you’ll be recreating Little America in Galway without any of the benefits again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

L1011 wrote: »
    This is a lovely parochial story, but there isn't anything in it at all to suggest a positive cost/benefit analysis for a reopening.

A small number of people wanting a train does not mean a train is viable. Even reasonably large numbers of people are better served by bus - and there is zero justification for providing massive state funding for people who "prefer" a train as is frequently brought up on here.

The people of Ballyglunin should be pushing for a bus, as they might actually get one. They aren't getting a train service.

Just a few comments on Ballyglunin.

There is no village. It is a townland with a church at best.

The sparse local housing is mainly single houses on half an acre plots. Most of these are relatively new.

Main access is via the nearby N63 at Ballyglunin Cross. There are bus stops at the cross roads for Galway and Roscommon.

Last time I took any notice there was a school bus to Tuam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the metropolis that is Ballyglunin

ballyglunin.jpgupload pictures url

Just a few comments on Ballyglunin.

There is no village. It is a townland with a church at best.

The sparse local housing is mainly single houses on half an acre plots. Most of these are relatively new.

Main access is via the nearby N63 at Ballyglunin Cross. There are bus stops at the cross roads for Galway and Roscommon.

Last time I took any notice there was a school bus to Tuam.
    But but but they have the luas up in Dublin.

Let’s pick a Station in the west at random. Should Ballymote, and the railway running through it, be ripped up and replaced with a greenway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

Let’s pick a Station in the west at random. Should Ballymote, and the railway running through it, be ripped up and replaced with a greenway?

I don't really care about the greenway, other than I would like to see the line used for something, but I do get a bit annoyed at people peddling visions of commuter services on the WRC. If someone wants to rebuild it as a heritage steam train line, that would be fine, but I wish we could add stop with this nonsense about it being an effective and frequent way to get to Galway, Tuam, or anywhere else. The line does the best job possible of going from Galway to Tuam while avoiding all towns and places of employment in between.

"Let's try a surreal strawman argument" you mean.

"Let's try a surreal strawman argument" you mean.

Do you moderate this forum?

Do you moderate this forum?

Normal posters are allowed point out fallacious arguments you know

Ballymote is on the Dublin Sligo line, not a very busy stop but gets a trickle of passengers in to Sligo and a lesser number heading the other way. The line itself is busy though, full to capacity after Longford quite often, so there is no suggestion of it being closed and torn up.
    Hiwever if the line didn't exist, or was closed and derelict, there is no way that anyone in their right mind would propose building a railway to connect Ballymote and Sligo. It would make as much sense as building a railway to bring a few children from Ballyglunin to school in athenry.

Normal posters are allowed point out fallacious arguments you know

Ah sweet. I thought backseat modding was a Nono but clearly there’s a distinction.

Ballymote is on the Dublin Sligo line, not a very busy stop but gets a trickle of passengers in to Sligo and a lesser number heading the other way. The line itself is busy though, full to capacity after Longford quite often, so there is no suggestion of it being closed and torn up.
    Hiwever if the line didn't exist, or was closed and derelict, there is no way that anyone in their right mind would propose building a railway to connect Ballymote and Sligo. It would make as much sense as building a railway to bring a few children from Ballyglunin to school in athenry.

But like another discussed to death railway, the MGWR Sligo line was never a small town to regional business centre railway. Fallacious argument there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just how much do you think going via Clarenbridge on a totally new alignment would have cost? Also it would then mean that trains going from Limerick to Tuam and points north would have to go to Galway first - utter tripe.
    Direct or even connecting rail service (at Oranmore) from Limerick to Tuam will never make sense while the M18 exists. And yes I know the Clarinbridge alignment would have blown the budget too, just pointing out what would be required to create an attractive Limerick- Galway service by rail when the Bus Eireann X service exists.

But like another discussed to death railway, the MGWR Sligo line was never a small town to regional business centre railway. Fallacious argument there.
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Navan is a special case.

On paper, a town of 30,000 connecting to a city of a million people should have enough business to justify the re-opening of the line.

However, from Wikipedia:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    [The M3] is tolled at two locations, one point north of Navan and another point between Dunshaughlin and Clonee for 45 years running from 2007. The Government have the option to buy out this contract at any time. The price level of tolls is controlled by the Board of the NRA and they can reduce, increase or remove the tolls as they see appropriate. Should they lower the tolls on the M3 the government would have to make up the difference of what is owed yearly to Eurolink M3 Ltd through tax revenue. Thus Eurolink are guaranteed a certain agreed return from their investment and would not suffer from any reduction in toll revenue from either a toll reduction or the planned opening of the Navan rail line. The toll revenue is collected by a private company on behalf of the state as a means to pay the private sector consortium annually for their initial one off investment in constructing the road.
    The more people that would use a Navan rail line, the less would use the motorway, and then the greater subvention that the state would have to make up. Therefore, the government has a vested interest in not re-opening the line.

Now you might ask, who was responsible for such a sh1tty deal with the consortium? Well, IIRC, the Minister for Meath Transport at the time was Noel Dempsey (he of the "we are not getting a bailout from the IMF", when the IMF were already in the country doing just that).

Anyway, between Bus Eireann's 109/109A/109X/NX and the services operated by Sillan buses, Navan is very well served with a 24-hour connection to both Dublin City and the Airport.

And, for the reason mentioned above, it looks like that's all they're going to get. At least until the M3 PPP expires - in 2052!

The M3 subvention is literally down to tens of thousands a year at this stage, will go to 0 soon due to increased traffic and expires well before the PPP expires.

It's fully funded from the surplus from the M1 and M4 who have to pay TII above certain traffic levels.

It's a red herring now

The M3 subvention is literally down to tens of thousands a year at this stage, will go to 0 soon due to increased traffic and expires well before the PPP expires.

It's fully funded from the surplus from the M1 and M4 who have to pay TII above certain traffic levels.
    OK, that's interesting.

I see that as recently as 2016:
    €1.2 million was paid to the private partner under the M3 Clonee-Kells contract
    but that:
    the guaranteed payments under the M3 project are projected to end in 2019 in a medium traffic growth scenario.
    Still doesn't invalidate my point that the guaranteed payments only cease if traffic numbers grow.

A train line to Navan is a threat to traffic growth and that alone would justify an ad infinitum rail review.

Well, that and a little thing called Brexit, means we won't have any money for it anyway.

Those are 2016 figures being cited in 2017. The amount fell off a cliff as traffic increased, I've posted later figures here last time this came up and I'll try find them.

The NX bus introduction was as big a threat to numbers and it still happened.

It is utterly a red herring - it will have zero impact on whether it happens or not.

By March 2018 the forecast total future payments for the M3 were 200 grand. Not a year, 200 grand total.

This means there is plenty of headroom for reducing traffic figures and not incurring any significant amounts. 200k in to a cost/benefit analysis for a project of that size is just noise, it won't affect it materially. Also note that they're now fully covered by other TII income, not tax revenue at all.

I know its a drum that has been banged for a long time, but its simply not relevant anymore.

it will have zero impact on whether it happens or not.
    Alright - another way of reading this is to say that there will not be enough people using a train service to significantly affect traffic numbers.

Would make you question why it is being proposed if that's the case.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »

"cos that's the why!!"

it will have zero impact on whether it happens or not.
    Alright - another way of reading this is to say that there will not be enough people using a train service to significantly affect traffic numbers.

Because they have the dart up in Dublin?

Because they have the dart up in Dublin?

Indeed, and there are so many other ways to improve rail in the west which would have more chance of success. Tunnel vision or vested interests I wonder?

Isambard wrote: »
    Indeed, and there are so many other ways to improve rail in the west which would have more chance of success. Tunnel vision or vested interests I wonder?

The last few posts have been about the proposed Navan reinstatement which is in the East. Multiple reasons it's slipped down the priority list over time from political to practical and cost. If it becomes enough of an election issue there next time it may jump back up

If it becomes enough of an election issue there next time it may jump back up
    Indeed and if it does, a train line connecting a town of 30,000 people to a city of 1.4 million is far more justifiable than one connecting a handful of small towns to a city of 80,000.

The last few posts have been about the proposed Navan reinstatement which is in the East. Multiple reasons it's slipped down the priority list over time from political to practical and cost. If it becomes enough of an election issue there next time it may jump back up

well at least I wasn't off topic!

• Advertisement

Indeed and if it does, a train line connecting a town of 30,000 people to a city of 1.4 million is far more justifiable than one connecting a handful of small towns to a city of 80,000.
    Even considering that they have the luas up in Dublin?

Even considering that they have the luas up in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,522 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Little point talking about reopening Navan or anywhere else in the next few years, IE won't have any rolling stock to put on it.

Scrap the cap!

Little point talking about reopening Navan or anywhere else in the next few years, IE won't have any rolling stock to put on it.
    The additional rolling stock won't be needed. Between the existing roads projects on the N4, N5, N22, N25/N30 and Sallins, the National Children's Hospital and the National Broadband Plan, there'll be very little money for any more infrastructure.

And that's before any talk about another hundred million for the WRC!

Any news on the "as is reasonably practicable" velo/cycle/rail, still €300,00 in the red, 12-year lease with no trains, eventually joining into Claremorris, we can have tourist projects on the rail line in Mayo- but you can't in Galway, if it hasn't a saddle- it's not a bike, we'll join dots all the way to Sligo but we admit it will never happen, delighted we lost the An Board Pleanala battle with Brendan Quinn project ?
    https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/30842-an-bord-pleanala-insist-planning-required-for-velo-rail-project-in-kiltimagh

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2273624476232167&id=1401404010120889

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

The funny thing about Neil Cruise stepping up on this one asking for the planning application is the only comments he is getting on his FB page is from people telling him they want a greenway, perhaps he might start listening! Certainly I know the KM Greenway supporters are keen to see the application and have their submissions lined up ready to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

westtip wrote: »
    The funny thing about Neil Cruise stepping up on this one asking for the planning application is the only comments he is getting on his FB page is from people telling him they want a greenway, perhaps he might start listening! Certainly I know the KM Greenway supporters are keen to see the application and have their submissions lined up ready to go!

You are not seeing the whole picture Westtip. Perhaps the other posters on that page have blocked you?

The part of the line which passes under the Tuam bypass was under water yesterday afternoon.

The part of the line which passes under the Tuam bypass was under water yesterday afternoon.

After a days rain future passengers on the train from Tuam to Knock will have to alight at Airglooney (Tuam North) Station and take a connecting mini-bus to Castelgrove Junction so :D

Any news on the "as is reasonably practicable" velo/cycle/rail, still €300,00 in the red, 12-year lease with no trains, eventually joining into Claremorris, we can have tourist projects on the rail line in Mayo- but you can't in Galway, if it hasn't a saddle- it's not a bike, we'll join dots all the way to Sligo but we admit it will never happen, delighted we lost the An Board Pleanala battle with Brendan Quinn project ?
    https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/30842-an-bord-pleanala-insist-planning-required-for-velo-rail-project-in-kiltimagh

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2273624476232167&id=1401404010120889
    There's a strong rumour circulating in Aras an Contae in recent days to the effect that the mayo county council executive is sick to the teeth of the whole Kiltimagh debacle, and that they are backing away from their previous position of unequivocal support for the velorail project.
    It now looks as if that project won't be built. They have used up all the avaliable funding and very little has happened, and the council doesn't intend to throw more money at it.

the mayo county council executive is sick to the teeth of the whole Kiltimagh debacle, and that they are backing away from their previous position of unequivocal support for the velorail project ... They have used up all the avaliable funding and very little has happened, and the council doesn't intend to throw more money at it.
    The half a mill in funding that the velorail has got came from EU LEADER funding, approved by the Minister for Mayo, Michael Ring. How much Council money went into it?

The half a mill in funding that the velorail has got came from EU LEADER funding, approved by the Minister for Mayo, Michael Ring. How much Council money went into it?
    Quite a bit of "costs" apparently, I'm not sure how much of that was actual budget and how much was the use of Council staff and resources, but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash eventually.
    Apparently not all the half million was actually drawn down, and some making up had to be done from Council funds. Or so I've been told.

don't think we will ever know, what I do know is that the council is persisting in supporting the position of KM IRD helping them to break planning laws with more clearance of the site - this was the spraying work done back in June done with the say so of MCC despite the ABP order. MCC are being challenged on this matter, I would say they regret the day they ever listened to the velorail idea which BTW is fully supported by West on Track. Say no more know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink.

Sligo eye wrote: »
    You are not seeing the whole picture Westtip. Perhaps the other posters on that page have blocked you?

don't flatter yourself, I look at FB from a few different angles, it is fairly clear Cllr Cruise is not reading the public mood.

westtip wrote: »
    Sligo eye wrote: »

don't flatter yourself, I look at FB from a few different angles, it is fairly clear Cllr Cruise is not reading the public mood.
    Maybe he needs to go on one.
    A long cruise, not a pedalo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement