Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Panch18 wrote: »
    I think a teleporter is a great machine - but its a pure luxury machine in my opinion

you can't spread manure, top, mow, spread slurry, haul cattle or anything or than loader work - whereas a tractor/loader can do all of that and 95% of the work that a telehandler can do as well

Don't get me wrong i'd absolutely love to have a JCB 320 or the like, but given their outrageous costs, even second hand, it's near on impossible to justify 1

True, that said 6 months of the year you'll be feeding and field work isn't really done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I think a teleporter is a great machine - but its a pure luxury machine in my opinion

you can't spread manure, top, mow, spread slurry, haul cattle or anything or than loader work - whereas a tractor/loader can do all of that and 95% of the work that a telehandler can do as well

Don't get me wrong i'd absolutely love to have a JCB 320 or the like, but given their outrageous costs, even second hand, it's near on impossible to justify 1

Was thinking the opposite here. Have 35 yr old jcb and 25 yr old tractor. Tractors main work is agitating/ pumping slurry, spreading fert drawing in bales with the bale handler. All other tractor work is contracted out. Could easily enough higher in a tractor for a day or get a Contractor to do the jobs it's doing. Loader on the other hand does all feeding, cleaning out sheds, loading dung, stacking bales, drawing stone to drains all fencing jobs etc. Would be hard pushed to get a machine/ contractor in to do that during the winter as contractors loaders are simply too big these days. Flexibility of artic steer in our yard as well as ability to use a decent sized shear grab speeds up feeding as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

If the second tractor needs to be updagrade/sold this is what I've be looking for. the second tractor is used primarily as a lader anyway except for wrapping bales or a quick trip around the fields which something light on when the main tractor is tied up or no at one of the pieces of ground away from main farm.

Merlo Multfarmer
    Merlo-Multifarmer-Telehandler-HERO-600x528.jpg

Landini/McCormick
    8104_1.jpg

New Holland
    526022d1508872686-compact-telehandlers-newhollandlm415-800-jpg

Deici
    DLUFVHdW0AEziMu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

If the second tractor needs to be updagrade/sold this is what I've be looking for. the second tractor is used primarily as a lader anyway except for wrapping bales or a quick trip around the fields which something light on when the main tractor is tied up or no at one of the pieces of ground away from main farm.

Merlo Multfarmer
    Merlo-Multifarmer-Telehandler-HERO-600x528.jpg

Landini/McCormick
    8104_1.jpg

New Holland
    526022d1508872686-compact-telehandlers-newhollandlm415-800-jpg

Deici
    DLUFVHdW0AEziMu.jpg

Saw a merlo type (not sure of make) on the side of a mountain in Switerland about 15 yeara ago turning hay on about a 45 degree slope! very impressive. Might not have been a Merlo but it low centre of gravity helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Back in late celtic tiger, 8 yr old 110hp 4cyl 3500hr quicke loader, 1 owner 35k. Today, same brand, 115hp 6 cyl, 5400hr no loader 1 owner 37k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Id love a telehandler. once the cattle are in for the winter, the bridgeway bale feeder doesn't really leave the tractor for more than a few hours. what I'd really love most about a telehandler is the 4 wheel steer, our hard is tight so we can't drive directly into the sheds with the tractor.

timple23 wrote: »
    Back in late celtic tiger, 8 yr old 110hp 4cyl 3500hr quicke loader, 1 owner 35k. Today, same brand, 115hp 6 cyl, 5400hr no loader 1 owner 37k.

Yea, its mad. We have our tractor almost 16 years, and its only lost around €4-5k.

From 2008-2010 you could have bought a 150hp tractor for the same as a stock man tractor, lots of machines that were pulling low loaders and dumper trailers were out of work! Same with diggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

I see that with tractors all over the place here too. Lads have 15 years service for them and are still getting their money back for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Figerty wrote: »
    Saw a merlo type (not sure of make) on the side of a mountain in Switerland about 15 yeara ago turning hay on about a 45 degree slope! very impressive. Might not have been a Merlo but it low centre of gravity helped.

Just realised that some of them are no longer made - wonder why?
    I'd say they'd be pricey, but if you don't have the boom up in the air like a flag pole their CoG should be lower than a tractor.

I don’t know, I drove teleporters a good bit when working on the buildings in college and found them awkward auld yokes, hard to see out off, poor transmission, heavy etc. Tractor a lot nicer place to be unless you need the extra height in the boom.

Grueller wrote: »
    I see that with tractors all over the place here too. Lads have 15 years service for them and are still getting their money back for them.

Local contractor bought a volvo loader for 44k and sold it 10 years later for 40 I think. Had feckall depreciation. Was an L50 I think. It's the old thing of machinery, and all other costs, rising too but what we produce, beef milk or grain has remained static in price...

• Advertisement

I don’t know, I drove teleporters a good bit when working on the buildings in college and found them awkward auld yokes, hard to see out off, poor transmission, heavy etc. Tractor a lot nicer place to be unless you need the extra height in the boom.

I'd go for an artic ahead of a teleporter personally with our yard. If plenty space near a feed passage or you can feed from the left side they would be fine. Agri spec telehandlers tend to have more hp/ tonne as well as better agility compared to the construction models but can be lighter so need to know what you are doing with the boom up as well. I like the traditional loading shovels, as a long term machine I think they may give less trouble than telscopics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Mooooo wrote: »
    Local contractor bought a volvo loader for 44k and sold it 10 years later for 40 I think. Had feckall depreciation. Was an L50 I think. It's the old thing of machinery, and all other costs, rising too but what we produce, beef milk or grain has remained static in price...

I wonder has done deal contributed to this too.
    You see tractors that are only up on the website a few hours and they could have 3 or 4 k views.
    There was nothing like that 10 or 15 years ago. It’s the equivalent of getting your stock sold in a prime slot in a busy mart.
    Remember the old buy and sell magazine you would have to use your imagination to figure out what a yoke was like.
    Many’s the lad wasted a day driving up the country to look at a heap of dirt.
    Done deal has changed all that. Granted you still have lads taking pictures from flattering angles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

While the cost of second hand tractors is expensive the cost of replacing it for the seller has jumped too.now while the like for like has might only moved a certain amount,everyone when they are changing inevitable move the hp class so replacing it might cost alot more than the equivalent jump in second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

I have a Massey 188 to sell soon. It’s not multi power. It’s a canvass cab in good condition starts first tip. It’s serviced regularly and has had a good bit of work done over last few years such as reconditioned starter, new brakes, clutch etc. It has good tyres and has only ever done light work such as topping fertiliser etc and is stored inside.

What should I be asking for it? I know very little about Tractors tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Farm365 wrote: »
    I have a Massey 188 to sell soon. It’s not multi power. It’s a canvass cab in good condition starts first tip. It’s serviced regularly and has had a good bit of work done over last few years such as reconditioned starter, new brakes, clutch etc. It has good tyres and has only ever done light work such as topping fertiliser etc and is stored inside.

What should I be asking for it? I know very little about Tractors tbh.

Make sure to put plenty of money on it to try reduce the calls. 9k?
    And prepare for an onslaught of calls. I put a couple of worn out scrap machines up last week and sweet divine lord it was mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Read through this thread. I don't think I'll ever need a new tractor for the little bit I'm doing, but would it not be an option to lease a tractor rather than buying it new? I think some of the lads around here are taking this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Read through this thread. I don't think I'll ever need a new tractor for the little bit I'm doing, but would it not be an option to lease a tractor rather than buying it new? I think some of the lads around here are taking this option.

You'll never own the machine and it's fairly expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

20silkcut wrote: »
    I wonder has done deal contributed to this too.
    You see tractors that are only up on the website a few hours and they could have 3 or 4 k views.
    There was nothing like that 10 or 15 years ago. It’s the equivalent of getting your stock sold in a prime slot in a busy mart.
    Remember the old buy and sell magazine you would have to use your imagination to figure out what a yoke was like.
    Many’s the lad wasted a day driving up the country to look at a heap of dirt.
    Done deal has changed all that. Granted you still have lads taking pictures from flattering angles.

DD started to build as a sales vehicle about 12 years ago it was a popular choice for selling by 10 years ago

It's hard to compare secondhand price to any period between 2008-2012. Loads of machinery and tractors severely discounted. Anything from a bicycle to a house was discounted. Remember a lad that bought a 2002 NH 100hp tractor fir 18k off a builder, another lad bought a 10T track machine in great nick for around the same money. You buy 2-3 years old cars for 60%of the equivalent 2007 value of 2-3year old car.

Was bashed into back then car was written off I had paid 11k in late 2008 for a 2005Avensis out of a garage with a 12 month warranty(they were asking 14k) car was a repairable write off 14 months later accessor valued it at 7k. The joke was there was no way I could replace it out of a garage for the same money

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:
    You'll never own the machine and it's fairly expensive

Not owning it might'nt be a bad thing the way things are gone... It is ridiculous money to hire alright.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Make sure to put plenty of money on it to try reduce the calls. 9k?
    And prepare for an onslaught of calls. I put a couple of worn out scrap machines up last week and sweet divine lord it was mental.

You definitely need a burner sim for selling stuff nowadays. Stick it in an old phone and turn it on to get the voice mails and texts or maybe leave it on for a few hours if you want to take some calls.

Once item is sold phone off and back in the drawer until you are selling something again. No way would I give out my number anymore after selling a cheapish car a few years ago, calls 24/7 most absolute idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You definitely need a burner sim for selling stuff nowadays. Stick it in an old phone and turn it on to get the voice mails and texts or maybe leave it on for a few hours if you want to take some calls.

Once item is sold phone off and back in the drawer until you are selling something again. No way would I give out my number anymore after selling a cheapish car a few years ago, calls 24/7 most absolute idiots.

When item is sold take down the add, if multiple items on add mark down item sold

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

DD started to build as a sales vehicle about 12 years ago it was a popular choice for selling by 10 years ago

It's hard to compare secondhand price to any period between 2008-2012. Loads of machinery and tractors severely discounted. Anything from a bicycle to a house was discounted. Remember a lad that bought a 2002 NH 100hp tractor fir 18k off a builder, another lad bought a 10T track machine in great nick for around the same money. You buy 2-3 years old cars for 60%of the equivalent 2007 value of 2-3year old car.

Was bashed into back then car was written off I had paid 11k in late 2008 for a 2005Avensis out of a garage with a 12 month warranty(they were asking 14k) car was a repairable write off 14 months later accessor valued it at 7k. The joke was there was no way I could replace it out of a garage for the same money

Yes correction, The big change in the last decade has been the smart phone. Lads can browse done deal in bed, at the dinner table, on the couch, on the jacks etc. 10-15 years ago you had to wait for a pc or laptop to power up and then a Dial up connection or mobile dongle device in the one area of the house with a good reception.
    I’d say there are some people who really have done deal down to a tee.
    Bargains are snapped up at lightning speed.
    If you spot a good tractor at the right price you’d really want to be getting into your car immediately with the money in your pocket.

I got full asking price within one hour, money in account. Unseen. Was happy enough until I seen the scrap that the lorry man had collected before mine and the money paid for it. An early 165 pulled out of a ditch where had been for 20 years, more rust than tractor, €1100. A perhaps functional but shook rusty enough looking 188 €5900. Mine was an old 4550 digger, clutch gone brakes gone, steering needing attention, loader more weld than loader in places but good engine and pump, and a ford force 4000, engine addicted to easy start, black wire out, no floor, no brakes, front axle falling out of it, Near rusted Out wheel rims, but capable of driving , 2600 for two and felt robbed. A dealer wouldn’t give
    anymore than 1500 for the two, lorry in the yard delivering another machine 3 months ago so that’s what threw me. There wasn’t much comparable advertised.

Apparently the export is on fire combined with fixer upper hobby men with cash on the hip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Jjameson wrote: »
    I got full asking price within one hour, money in account. Unseen. Was happy enough until I seen the scrap that the lorry man had collected before mine and the money paid for it. An early 165 pulled out of a ditch where had been for 20 years, more rust than tractor, €1100. A perhaps functional but shook rusty enough looking 188 €5900. Mine was an old 4550 digger, clutch gone brakes gone, steering needing attention, loader more weld than loader in places but good engine and pump, and a ford force 4000, engine addicted to easy start, black wire out, no floor, no brakes, front axle falling out of it, Near rusted Out wheel rims, but capable of driving , 2600 for two and felt robbed. A dealer wouldn’t give
    anymore than 1500 for the two, lorry in the yard delivering another machine 3 months ago so that’s what threw me. There wasn’t much comparable advertised.

Apparently the export is on fire combined with fixer upper hobby men with cash on the hip.

Once your happy with the price you wanted to get for it I wouldn't feel robbed. I sold a tractor I had earlier in the year. After hundreds of calls texts and WhatsApp a fella came in and gave me what I was looking for after agreeing on the phone. Said the usual wanted it for the yard but was bull****. He had it up again on doneneal for roughly twice the price the next morning. Thought he was gonna make a quick buck on it. Eventually the price goes down and down over the next few days and I'd say he lost his bollix with it as it was collected on a 45 foot low loader.

It would put you off selling on donedeal all the clowns and downright oddballs.

In 09 I had the chance of a well minded 96 reg John Deere 6600 that was being traded in by a neighbour to garage. Had I 10k cash, (cash only) I’d have had it.
    I hadn’t got it and there wasn’t a lot more money going for them at the time pre done deal. Imagine such a deal nowadays!

When item is sold take down the add, if multiple items on add mark down item sold

Absolutely but that doesn’t remove the need for a burner sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Just realised that some of them are no longer made - wonder why?
    I'd say they'd be pricey, but if you don't have the boom up in the air like a flag pole their CoG should be lower than a tractor.

AFAIK the Landini Powerlift?/ McCormick was only a prototype from a regular teleporter model and never put in mass production.
    The Merlo is the best known but I never came across the NH or Dieci models .

I've been looking at them for a few years but for the amount of work I do it would be hard to justify the price. I'd say they'd be heavy on the land for tractor work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

AFAIK the Landini Powerlift?/ McCormick was only a prototype from a regular teleporter model and never put in mass production.
    The Merlo is the best known but I never came across the NH or Dieci models .

I've been looking at them for a few years but for the amount of work I do it would be hard to justify the price. I'd say they'd be heavy on the land for tractor work.

dont have the work for it here but anyone i've met who bought one wouldn't be without one now ( mostly pivot ? type )

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Mooooo wrote: »
    Was thinking the opposite here. Have 35 yr old jcb and 25 yr old tractor. Tractors main work is agitating/ pumping slurry, spreading fert drawing in bales with the bale handler. All other tractor work is contracted out. Could easily enough higher in a tractor for a day or get a Contractor to do the jobs it's doing. Loader on the other hand does all feeding, cleaning out sheds, loading dung, stacking bales, drawing stone to drains all fencing jobs etc. Would be hard pushed to get a machine/ contractor in to do that during the winter as contractors loaders are simply too big these days. Flexibility of artic steer in our yard as well as ability to use a decent sized shear grab speeds up feeding as well

Upgrading the tractor here nearly have a deal done on a massey 5712 but now thinking id be better off buying the likes of a 5470 with a loader along with a JCB 526-56 and itd still work out around the same money, hard to know what to be doing but I know a 5712 wont be as nice around the yard feeding bales as a jcb would be and by buying a 5470 and a JCB id have the best of both worlds all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Mf310 wrote: »
    Upgrading the tractor here nearly have a deal done on a massey 5712 but now thinking id be better off buying the likes of a 5470 with a loader along with a JCB 526-56 and itd still work out around the same money, hard to know what to be doing but I know a 5712 wont be as nice around the yard feeding bales as a jcb would be and by buying a 5470 and a JCB id have the best of both worlds all year round.

Option 2 all day long.

Advertisement