04-06-2011, 15:09   #1
jos28

Houses for heroes

I have to do a final year history project for my degree and I was thinking of the 'Houses for herores' scheme. I'm thinking of The Demesne/Abbeyfield in Killester in particular. I found this book with some information in it
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...&qsort=&page=1.
I would love to find out how the houses were allocated and how those who returned from WW1 settled in to them. Were there similar schemes anywhere else ?
Any ideas/information/leads would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for someone to do all the work for me, honest . I am just going through ideas at the moment and wondering if there is enough information out there to warrant the research. Thanks
Advertisement
05-06-2011, 10:56   #2
Simarillion

Hello jos28

I know that there were several schemes outside Dublin built, including the Frenchville area of The Claddagh in Galway City.
My great-grandfather was in charge of knocking down the old thatch cottages in Frenchville and constructing new houses for ex-servicemen. I afraid I don't think I have the records for any of this but I'll have a look for you.
It wasn't particularly popular with some of the locals, but their anger seemed to be targeted at the demolition of the old cottages rather than giving houses to British servicemen. They stoned my great grandfathers workers at one stage and drove them off, and the RIC had to be called.
As it happens a guy I went to school with lived in Frenchville because his great-grandfather had been a medic during the war and was given the house.

I think the city library holds some more records and newspaper articles on it
Thanks from:
05-06-2011, 11:01   #3
eejoynt

there is a history of the soldiers and sailors land trust in print
see history blog pues occurrences for a recnt blog on the threatened demolition of the british legion hall

killester station was built to serve this development and the private bus line serving it was called 'the contemptible' after the old contemtibles of 1914
Thanks from:
05-06-2011, 13:10   #4

i think there is some soldiers hgousing in Laytown and i read somewhere that houses were built on the North Road in Finglas but these may have a connection to the Boer War.
Thanks from:
05-06-2011, 16:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos28 View Post
I would love to find out how the houses were allocated and how those who returned from WW1 settled in to them.
This is very interesting. Was there a similar scheme for returning servicemen from WW2?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-06-2011, 16:29   #6
oncevotedff

Quote:
I would love to find out how the houses were allocated and how those who returned from WW1 settled in to them. Were there similar schemes anywhere else ?
Glenconnor Cottages in Clonmel.
Thanks from:
05-06-2011, 23:11   #7
jos28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
This is very interesting. Was there a similar scheme for returning servicemen from WW2?
I don't think so because we were running our own show at that stage. According to the book that I have, the British Government decided to fund the housing in order to prevent returning soldiers from joining the republican movement.
'The over riding concern of the British Government was to maintain social stability'. It was an insurance against revolution. The replies you have all posted are really fascinating and make me think that there would be plenty there to research. I never realised that Killester train station was built specifically for the houses. I never heard the bus story either. I wonder if the builders were treated the same way as Simarillion's great grandfather. Fascinating stuff, keep them coming please...
05-06-2011, 23:53   #8

here is a link to the houses in Killester http://homepage.eircom.net/~wlawless...ter/index.html and one to what i said about homes in Finglas , which i got wrong http://finglashistoricalsociety.com/History.asp
Thanks from:
18-03-2012, 23:31   #9

Hi my grandad was given a home for soldiers at Abbeyfeild after WW1. Do you know how were the homes allocated?

Quote:
I have to do a final year history project for my degree and I was thinking of the 'Houses for herores' scheme. I'm thinking of The Demesne/Abbeyfield in Killester in particular. I found this book with some information in it
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...&qsort=&page=1.
Any ideas/information/leads would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for someone to do all the work for me, honest . I am just going through ideas at the moment and wondering if there is enough information out there to warrant the research. Thanks
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 16:11   #10
enfield

ww1

There was a scheme to give returning soldiers land. They were source land by narrowing the Barrow.
Cheers.
Tom.
19-03-2012, 16:20   #11
jos28

Pmfrederick,
The houses in Killester were built by the Irish Local Government Board and were completed in 1923. The houses were allocated by them until 1924. There was a trust set up to manage and provide further housing for ex-servicemen in 1924 (The Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust). They looked after allocations, maintenance and evictions after that. The Killester houses were particularly interesting because the tenants there went on a rent strike in 1929. This ended up in 9 Killester residents taking the Trust to the Supreme court where they won the right for all ex-servicemen to stay in their houses free from rent. Their action eventually led to the demise of the Trust. If you want I can check my info and hopefully tell you when your Grandad moved in. I can also email you 2 fascinating articles about the houses if you want.
19-03-2012, 20:18   #12

It would be fasinating to learn when my Grandad moved in to Abbeyfield
His name was Frederick Christopher Sharpe born in Dublin about 1886. He lived in 118 Abbeyfield. I do not know what regiment he was in but know he was in WW1 and think he was wounded in the leg (he had a stick and in later life the leg was ammutated). Fasinating to hear about the rent strike. He brought up a familiy in 1118 Abbeyfield. It would be great to learn of the articles. My e mail is pmhello@fastmail.fm

Quote:
Pmfrederick,
The houses in Killester were built by the Irish Local Government Board and were completed in 1923. The houses were allocated by them until 1924. There was a trust set up to manage and provide further housing for ex-servicemen in 1924 (The Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust). They looked after allocations, maintenance and evictions after that. The Killester houses were particularly interesting because the tenants there went on a rent strike in 1929. This ended up in 9 Killester residents taking the Trust to the Supreme court where they won the right for all ex-servicemen to stay in their houses free from rent. Their action eventually led to the demise of the Trust. If you want I can check my info and hopefully tell you when your Grandad moved in. I can also email you 2 fascinating articles about the houses if you want.
19-03-2012, 21:17   #13
jos28

Pmfrederick, I just sent you an email with those articles. Enjoy !
15-04-2012, 14:07   #14
jos28

Well it's done, thesis has finally gone to the printers ! Turns out there was plenty of research material out there on the provision of houses for returning WW1 veterans. Thanks for all the help everyone !
04-02-2013, 17:24   #15
emk59

ww1

Hi jos28,

My grandfather was ex-serviceman and was allocated a house in the demesne, killester in the 1920's. The house backed onto the rail line and has been demolished since. Row of 2 storey houses there now since the 80's. w
Would love to know reason the house was allocated to him and if possible his regiment. my email is emk@upcmail.ie. He was H Kirwan. Hope you can help. Ta.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion