Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses for heroes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

A few more photos

Sorry that some of the photos need rotating. I uploaded them in the correct aspect but somehow they appear ar**ways. Perhaps some more technically minded person could sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thought folk here mightbe interested to know there is a talk in the National Library on 'Homes for Heroes - Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust' on 21st August. You will find the full lists of lectures here:

http://www.nli.ie/en/list/latest-news.aspx?article=56611ea7-1d89-42b9-946b-e4d63d760933

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maggie165

Trying to make contact with Jan O'Sullivan who published article on the Killester Colony in relation to her BA Maggie

Maggie165 wrote: »
    Trying to make contact with Jan O'Sullivan who published article on the Killester Colony in relation to her BA Maggie

PM sent Maggie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maggie165

Hi,
    Where did you get the wonderful photographs. Have you more ?
    Margaret

• Advertisement

Maggie, I pm'd you with my contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭donaghs

brendag wrote: »
    I've heard that the houses on Peck's Lane in Castleknock were for returned WW1 soldiers also. Some of my family members who had served were given houses there and elsewhere in the area. I will try to find out more information and post it here.

Great photos. Recognised the ones in Sandymount. I saw some houses in Peck's Lane in Castleknock recently, which looked like old Council Houses. Thought that was odd considering the most of the houses around there looked very different and carry a very high price tag. Not so strange I suppose as Council houses were built in smaller numbers in, even in "posher" areas, and Castleknock would have been much more rural then. Interesting to know they were ex-servicemens houses. The diamond roof slates gave them away. Also, features like the exterior plaster-work, boundary walls/hedges, the window shape and location, etc.

Thanks Donaghs, afaik the Trust built 30 houses in Castleknock both single and two storey.

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks Donaghs, afaik the Trust built 30 houses in Castleknock both single and two storey.

You can still see them on Google Street view. They are on the right hand side as you go from the Castleknock Road towards the N3, and on two side roads. But mixed in with other houses. A lot of them have been modernised and extended since.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MixedMessages

Thanks for all the knowledge

At the weekend, I spotted a plaque on houses in Macroom, Co Cork with the name and crest of The Irish Sailors & Soldiers Land Trust.

I hadn't heard of it previously but now know a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

jos28 wrote: »

In the meantime I will try and post a couple of photos that I got from the ISSLT Annual Reports.
    Those photos you posted up are great Jos. I would be interested in reading more, particularly re developments in Dublin & Wexford where relatives of mine lived in soldiers houses. Can you tell us where the ISSLT reports are available?

Hi KildareJohn,
    Most of the records are in Kew, although some reports are held at TCD. If you like I can send you my article and you can have a look through the sources. I can send you on anything I have that might be of interest. Just drop me a PM with your email address and I will send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Parsnips84

Hi my great grandad fought in ww1 richard parsons he was blinded in the war and given army housing in churchtown dublin I know this housing was part of a fund set up to take care of the exsoldiers but I have yet to find a service number or regiment id be greatful for any help he lived in number 3 churchtown little if that makes any difference thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The redbrick houses on Emmet Road in the centre of Inchicore village were British Army houses - I forget what regiment, but you can see the thistle-and-shamrock design still on their ironwork. I think they were for non-commissioned officers.

Jos's links as images (I hope):

262846.jpg
    262852.jpg
    262853.jpg
    262854.jpg

Parsnips, try the Great War Forum (google it) - those guys are very nice and helpful. Was this your Richard Parsons? http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Common_Street/21605/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 On the Green

I've a keen interest in this subject. I was born and raised in one of the cottages with 3 bedrooms, a living room and a scullery like in the one in the picture directly over this post. Our house was one of 23 that are together just outside Callan, Co. Kilkenny. We in the area think that since these cottages were always semi-detached that the one single one is very unique. Now by doing a bit of digging today I can see that the cottages in Glenconnor, Clonmel might have a single one there too but I have to see it with my own eyes as Street View doesn't give me the angle I'm looking for.

But if anyone can give any more information on them I'd love to hear it. I think Facebook is probably the best medium to set up a centre of information about these cottages but if there is something out there already then I'd love to know.

So far I have the following 'spots' for these types of houses:

Kilkenny - Skeaugh, Callan
    Cork - Gyleen, Ballycotton - see pics above, fab to see them as they were when they were built. Midleton, Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Cloyne, Douglas... if I can think of anymore I'll add them in.
    Meath - Outside Navan but it was a long time ago and it could have been Trim
    Tipperary - Glenconnor - haven't laid eyes on them only Street View but there seems to be quite a cluster of them there.

Most were built just outside towns it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Might be worth connecting them with the ones built in English provincial towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MixedMessages

I've a keen interest in this subject. I was born and raised in one of the cottages with 3 bedrooms, a living room and a scullery like in the one in the picture directly over this post. Our house was one of 23 that are together just outside Callan, Co. Kilkenny. We in the area think that since these cottages were always semi-detached that the one single one is very unique. Now by doing a bit of digging today I can see that the cottages in Glenconnor, Clonmel might have a single one there too but I have to see it with my own eyes as Street View doesn't give me the angle I'm looking for.

But if anyone can give any more information on them I'd love to hear it. I think Facebook is probably the best medium to set up a centre of information about these cottages but if there is something out there already then I'd love to know.

So far I have the following 'spots' for these types of houses:

Kilkenny - Skeaugh, Callan
    Cork - Gyleen, Ballycotton - see pics above, fab to see them as they were when they were built. Midleton, Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Cloyne, Douglas... if I can think of anymore I'll add them in.
    Meath - Outside Navan but it was a long time ago and it could have been Trim
    Tipperary - Glenconnor - haven't laid eyes on them only Street View but there seems to be quite a cluster of them there.

Most were built just outside towns it seems

The houses in Guileen (Gyleen) look like they might still exist - if you do a google map search on co-ordinates 51.7965202,-8.1963295

The ones in Macroom are a terrace of 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

I was born and raised in one of the cottages. Our house was one of 23 that are together just outside Callan, Co. Kilkenny. We in the area think...

Just out of interest did the locals of your area ever hear of a cavalry clash between the Williamite and Jacobite forces just outside Callan?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hotd

Are these houses built after WW1 for people who served in the forces ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just out of interest did the locals of your area ever hear of a cavalry clash between the Williamite and Jacobite forces just outside Callan?

MOD NOTE:
    Please be aware that posting on old threads and expecting a response from Posters is not good etiquette on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Apologies Manach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Apologies Manach.

You could try sending a private message to actually have some sort of chance of getting an answer if you really wanted one, they might receive an email notification that way

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FJMC

Hi,

I'm trying to find information on the Orion system used by Ryan Manufacturing for some of the early homes for ISSLT - appreciate any pointers anyone might have.

Thanks

F

It looks like Irish tenant’s of the Soldiers and Sailors Trust objected the the strict terms of tenancy, and became more militant (especially in Killester)

“In Eire, operations of the trust were complicated by a series of rent strikes culminating in a decision (the Leggett Judgement) by the Supreme Court of Eire in 1933 that the trust as constituted was not entitled to charge rents to ex-service tenants. The Northern Ireland courts reached the opposite conclusion and thereafter the trust received no rents from tenants in the South. As a result no further houses were built in the South after 1932 and maintenance was reduced to a minimum. In Northern Ireland building continued, the last house being completed in 1952.”

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14

Just noticed Robin Villas in Palmerstown village. The house designs and roof tiles look the exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aaron Killester

Hi folks , great thread, I'm the chairman of the Killester WW1 Memorial Campaign please check out our social media pages and website.

I'd love to get copy of the thesis, documents and ISSLT reports I believe Jo's said he had?

My email is aaroncrampton@live.ie

Advertisement