Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

cute geoge wrote: »
    I saw there in the journal bonus of up to 25 cents for aa and hereford heifers .What factories is this bonus available in .Aibp quoted me E3.75 base last week and 10 cent hereford bonus

Balinrobe interested in Angus all I know
    Donegal still around top of the pops for normal heifers. 3.85 plus 10 cent if between 300 and 380 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

dawn meats paying 20c all the time for aa bullocks and heifers..might be another 5c on it now with price increases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It’s not much use to the lad that’s buying them in a mart to finish. Poor Angus heifers were making as much as good Charolais ones before Christmas.
    It was probably factories that were buying them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Justin McCarthy is appalled at the processing industry getting 100€ million of taxpayers money without any transparent accounting..

So what has changed since the “Brexit market difficulties” late summer 2019??

Was it much better for them to screw the Irish farmer, depress the price of beef across Europe by default and then let the taxpayer compensate some farmers??

After the civil servants get a cut, the political parties and then the ifa carve up the press releases all the while the beef barons and uk retailers clinked glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

This just shows how bad some of Agriland articles are
    Doesn’t even know what BEAM stands for.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/beam-me-up-minister/

• Advertisement

Duke92 wrote: »

Does it not make a fair point?
    We knew what the terms were when ticking the box.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Does it not make a fair point?
    We knew what the terms were when ticking the box.

Not really Teagasc advised everyone to apply for it weather they qualified or not.
    Covid marts efected the prices of cattle last summer in which it made no sense for a farmer to sell his cattle if he didn’t have to.
    Even now there is no way of looking up will you or won’t you qualify for it
    Image a suckler farmer with 25 cows on 50 acres has to reduce his stocking by 5% to get €1000
    A few years ago the dairy farmers got €1400 each with no terms and conditions when milk price was low for a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Not really Teagasc advised everyone to apply for it weather they qualified or not.
    Covid marts efected the prices of cattle last summer in which it made no sense for a farmer to sell his cattle if he didn’t have to.
    Image a suckler farmer with 25 cows on 50 acres has to reduce his stocking by 5% to get €1000
    A few years ago the dairy farmers got €1400 each with no terms and conditions when milk price was low for a couple of months

That's incorrect that was a dairy milk reduction scheme .
    There should be no changes made to any scheme ...we all signed up knowing the conditions.
    Including myself I reduced by the 5 %nescessary and to change it now would penalize those who followed the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

I’ve sucklers and would have been madness not to reduce my stocking rate to get the BEAM. Not a hope of making that BEAM money off the stock I had to cut anyway.

I didn’t agree with the requirement to cut numbers when the scheme came out, I still don’t agree with it now, but the requirements were very clear from the start. Should be no change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I doubt if that's true, it's time farmers took responsibility for their own stupidity mistakes. these schemes are more difficult to get across the line in Europe if there's any risk of increasing production,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just because he made a mistake in name is no reason that the article may not be well put together. Having read the article everything he said was correct.

Like Feel the Bern I too taught the rule's at the time were unfair. Drystock margins are very tight however and expecting some to reduce stock by 5% for a few hundred euro was crazy. In my case I was getting 400 euro I was caught by the reference year changing my system and by having to slaughter cattle early due to the drought. I always treated it as a 400euro loan.

However there is no excuse for farmers with higher payments. It was just a matter of putting a plan place. Most just did not bother. It would be totally unfair to people that observed the rules or did not apply for the scheme for to change the rules now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

The 5% was a balls but lads knew what they were signing up to. Did I like the idea of reducing numbers ...not likely but I had 2500 to get out of it. Now that would be the equivelant of say nett profit on approx 10 cattle for the year. Too much to leave behind for me for no hardship.
    Some lads want bread buttered every side and edge.

It's hard to have a good excuse for not complying if lads really wanted the money. Me thinks the little increase in the factory price has lads thinking they are missing out on a pot of gold come next back end. Make an extra bit of silage and stock up again next back end

In thought the reduction wasn’t the worst idea. Beef in any intensive way is a low or no margin game due to the antics of a processing cartel. Reducing output may hurt the fert and imported feed/processing cartel but it won’t hurt us.
    Bar your locked up with tb or some other mishap.

It would be a kick in the stones for a suckler guy to have sold Bessie and red ears (she lost this years calf but she always had a good one!) to see an amnesty for lads that didn’t bother to comply?

In thought the reduction wasn’t the worst idea. Beef in any intensive way is a low or no margin game due to the antics of a processing cartel. Reducing output may hurt the fert and imported feed/processing cartel but it won’t hurt us.
    Bar your locked up with tb or some other mishap.

It would be a kick in the stones for a suckler guy to have sold Bessie and red ears (she lost this years calf but she always had a good one!) to see an amnesty for lads that didn’t bother to comply?

And that is all a lot if suckler lads had to do was cull a cow that lost a calf or.not replace a cow that was culled. If they were replacing a bull cull sell him in August rather than hanging onto him until he had more flesh on him.

Slava Ukrainii

However I completely concur with your point on the dairy scheme.
    What do you suppose the terms are on the current scheme for the processors?

richie123 wrote: »
    That's incorrect that was a dairy milk reduction scheme .
    There should be no changes made to any scheme ...we all signed up knowing the conditions.
    Including myself I reduced by the 5 %nescessary and to change it now would penalize those who followed the rules.

It wasn’t the dairy reduction scheme
    It was
    EU and National flat rate dairy top up payment
    Paid in 2015 you didn’t even have to apply for it it was paid automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It was the dairy reduction scheme
    It was
    EU and National flat rate dairy top up payment
    Paid in 2015 you didn’t even have to apply for it it was paid automatically
    I remember hearing about all sorts of shenanigans going on over that scheme. Fellas that applied for it never really reduced their production but transferred milk to a neighbours tank.

Base price wrote: »
    I remember hearing about all sorts of shenanigans going on over that scheme. Fellas that applied for it never really reduced their production but transferred milk to a neighbours tank.

I take that with a grain of salt. Very few dairy farmers would low another farmer transfer milk into there tank. You be taking a huge risk regarding the quality of his milk and if he was adhering to withdrawal periods

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

The farming indo didn’t help by announcing that the factories were planning a 3 day kill next week and now farmers are flooding the factories with cattle. A god send for factories that were working hard to get cattle last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

It’s all a strategy with factories. Nothing to do with market prices. Drop the price , a week of rain at the wrong time, throw out a rumour of future bad prices and they’ll get as many cattle as they want. The factories are a monopoly, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

1373 wrote: »
    The farming indo didn’t help by announcing that the factories were planning a 3 day kill next week and now farmers are flooding the factories with cattle. A god send for factories that were working hard to get cattle last week

That’s a fact. They were begging for cattle last week. There must be a big increase in supermarket sales to say they couldn't fill the gap from their own feedlots and could try another pull in a week or 2 when their own cattle are coming fit again.

And the competition authority says there’s nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

Surely there's a much tighter monopoly in the sheep sector and that sector does not complain. There prices yo-yo much more.
    Also if you don't like the price don't sell to them. Try store cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

And the competition authority says there’s nothing to see here.

What exactly is there for the competition authority to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What exactly is there for the competition authority to see.

It would explore in a detailed manner the link between the price paid to producers and the retail prices. Special attention would be to where there seems to be little linkage between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Water John wrote: »
    It would explore in a detailed manner the link between the price paid to producers and the retail prices. Special attention would be to where there seems to be little linkage between the two.

In Ireland,? because 10% of the production is used in Ireland the rest exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Good loser wrote: »
    Surely there's a much tighter monopoly in the sheep sector and that sector does not complain. There prices yo-yo much more.
    I haven't kept sheep in over 30 years but there is a huge differentiation in the value of our beef exports compared to sheep exports. We all know that GB born lambs have passed through Northern Ireland into the Republic for processing in export factories. In recent years there has been a multitude of triple deckers full to the gills with lambs heading South on the M1 outta Larne/Belfast.
    I always wondered how ye sheep farmers tolerated it. The same scenario would never have been tolerated with cattle farmers.
    Edit - maybe the beef committee had a louder voice than the sheep committee ??

Good loser wrote: »

In what realm of reality do sheep farmers not complain??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    I haven't kept sheep in over 30 years but there is a huge differentiation in the value of our beef exports compared to sheep exports. We all know that GB born lambs have passed through Northern Ireland into the Republic for processing in export factories. In recent years there has been a multitude of triple deckers full to the gills with lambs heading South on the M1 outta Larne/Belfast.
    I always wondered how ye sheep farmers tolerated it. The same scenario would never have been tolerated with cattle farmers.
    Edit - maybe the beef committee had a louder voice than the sheep committee ??

As a country we can't really be exporting millions of euros of beef in to England and weanlings/calves into europea and then stop lambs coming into Ireland.
    Those lambs will be competing in in europe whether they're killed in UK or Ireland.
    It's pointless whingeing about any of our customers unless farmers are prepared pick up the gauntlet and do their own processing and marketing.
    Farmers are even too lazy to castrate their lambs to make a better product, that's all they care about marketing/processing. Factorie don't care as long as they get a a margin.....
    Louder voice or not sheep has always been better pricewise than cattle, there should be a message there, I've often said on here that I wouldn't stand at the gates of a camolin, they're doing just fine.

Advertisement