05-10-2015, 15:11   #46
On the Green

I've a keen interest in this subject. I was born and raised in one of the cottages with 3 bedrooms, a living room and a scullery like in the one in the picture directly over this post. Our house was one of 23 that are together just outside Callan, Co. Kilkenny. We in the area think that since these cottages were always semi-detached that the one single one is very unique. Now by doing a bit of digging today I can see that the cottages in Glenconnor, Clonmel might have a single one there too but I have to see it with my own eyes as Street View doesn't give me the angle I'm looking for.

But if anyone can give any more information on them I'd love to hear it. I think Facebook is probably the best medium to set up a centre of information about these cottages but if there is something out there already then I'd love to know.

So far I have the following 'spots' for these types of houses:

Kilkenny - Skeaugh, Callan
Cork - Gyleen, Ballycotton - see pics above, fab to see them as they were when they were built. Midleton, Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Cloyne, Douglas... if I can think of anymore I'll add them in.
Meath - Outside Navan but it was a long time ago and it could have been Trim
Tipperary - Glenconnor - haven't laid eyes on them only Street View but there seems to be quite a cluster of them there.

Most were built just outside towns it seems
Advertisement
06-10-2015, 08:00   #47

Might be worth connecting them with the ones built in English provincial towns.
02-11-2016, 13:10   #48
MixedMessages

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Green View Post
I've a keen interest in this subject. I was born and raised in one of the cottages with 3 bedrooms, a living room and a scullery like in the one in the picture directly over this post. Our house was one of 23 that are together just outside Callan, Co. Kilkenny. We in the area think that since these cottages were always semi-detached that the one single one is very unique. Now by doing a bit of digging today I can see that the cottages in Glenconnor, Clonmel might have a single one there too but I have to see it with my own eyes as Street View doesn't give me the angle I'm looking for.

But if anyone can give any more information on them I'd love to hear it. I think Facebook is probably the best medium to set up a centre of information about these cottages but if there is something out there already then I'd love to know.

So far I have the following 'spots' for these types of houses:

Kilkenny - Skeaugh, Callan
Cork - Gyleen, Ballycotton - see pics above, fab to see them as they were when they were built. Midleton, Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Cloyne, Douglas... if I can think of anymore I'll add them in.
Meath - Outside Navan but it was a long time ago and it could have been Trim
Tipperary - Glenconnor - haven't laid eyes on them only Street View but there seems to be quite a cluster of them there.

Most were built just outside towns it seems
The houses in Guileen (Gyleen) look like they might still exist - if you do a google map search on co-ordinates 51.7965202,-8.1963295

The ones in Macroom are a terrace of 4.
10-12-2020, 21:22   #49
V8 Interceptor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Green View Post
I was born and raised in one of the cottages. Our house was one of 23 that are together just outside Callan, Co. Kilkenny. We in the area think...
Just out of interest did the locals of your area ever hear of a cavalry clash between the Williamite and Jacobite forces just outside Callan?
10-12-2020, 22:04   #50
hotd

Houses For Heros.

Are these houses built after WW1 for people who served in the forces ?
Advertisement
10-12-2020, 23:12   #51
Manach

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Interceptor View Post
Just out of interest did the locals of your area ever hear of a cavalry clash between the Williamite and Jacobite forces just outside Callan?
MOD NOTE:
Please be aware that posting on old threads and expecting a response from Posters is not good etiquette on boards.
(2) thanks from:
11-12-2020, 13:08   #52
V8 Interceptor
Banned

Apologies Manach.
Thanks from:
13-12-2020, 21:21   #53
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Interceptor View Post
Apologies Manach.
You could try sending a private message to actually have some sort of chance of getting an answer if you really wanted one, they might receive an email notification that way

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion