Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow-ice Warning : Wednesday 27 Dec. 2017 21:00 to Fri 29 Dec 10.00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bringing Snow right down into West Clare, I'll take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What way is this crossing the country west to east straight across?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Starting to snow very lightly in Tralee now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Snowfall reported in Milltown Malbay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Bringing Snow right down into West Clare, I'll take it!

Climate change :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah, lovely rain in Cork City now :-D

irishfeen wrote: »
    Look at the dark red areas for Bweeng, Dromahane And Donoughmore. Very high areas!

Does that mean we should expect more in those areas? Have to drive around lunchtime and wondering should I leave earlier. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    Ah, lovely rain in Cork City now :-D

all of sudden big fluffy flakes in Rochestown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sleet at Shannon and Kerry at 11 am. There was also sleet at Shannon at 10am with temp/dp 0.2/-0.8. That's a wet bulb temperature below zero and should have been snow but it shows a very shallow cold surface layer and up higher the wbt is well above zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snowing heavily in Rochestown. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Still frozen solid here in Sligo Town, in the Estates atleast. So glad did not have to clear and drive the car in it first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Met eireann have added yet another yellow warning for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Back to sleety rain again.

Just sleet in West Clare, I'll give it till 2 before I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

heavy sleet here in Crosshaven at the mouth of Cork harbour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Again by the looks of it we are relying on the instensity of the precipitation.
    Getting increasingly patchier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,908 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It will be patchy at best for the rest of the day as the front extends erratically eastward, pepping up a little this evening over northern Leinster.

The snowfall warning may need updating and extending for the northern counties for tonight/early hours of tomorrow morning

hirlamuk-1-23-0.png?28-10

Can we not just get a clean band of moderate to heavy snow in this country?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can we not just get a clean band of moderate to heavy snow in this country?

No fun in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Sleet at Shannon and Kerry at 11 am. There was also sleet at Shannon at 10am with temp/dp 0.2/-0.8. That's a wet bulb temperature below zero and should have been snow but it shows a very shallow cold surface layer and up higher the wbt is well above zero.

In Shannon atm, and it was snow alright falling at times, but very light but gave a dusting, but it did change to a light sleet at times too. Felt like if it got any bit heavy at all that it would have been full on snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Chucking it down right now in mid-Limerick, beginning to settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It seems we will get nothing out of this first band of precipitation, and it might have gone the wrong side of marginal for us tonight. Tomorrow it looks like rain here as well. Still we had a dusting overnight from a heavy shower that lasted around 15 minutes.
    Well done to those in the snow starved south who got snow this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Anyone have any reports of what it's like round banteer mallow area? Have to travel that way shortly from kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dry and crisp in Castlebar, the only whiteness is the leftover frost from last night, 1.8C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It seems we will get nothing out of this first band of precipitation, and it might have gone the wrong side of marginal for us tonight. Tomorrow it looks like rain here as well. Still we had a dusting overnight from a heavy shower that lasted around 15 minutes.
    Well done to those in the snow starved south who got snow this morning.

Not sure anyone got anything much more than a few flakes. Had about 10 mins of wet snow that didnt settle here. The famine continues as far as I am concerned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Freezing cold here in cork City, rain got rid if the frost though early.on before I woke up. No snow here sadly. Just a few rain showers.

The radar returns over West Clare would make you expect theres heavy precip here, but there's none!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Cold light rain here in Carrick on Suir South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Not sure anyone got anything much more than a few flakes. Had about 10 mins of wet snow that didnt settle here. The famine continues as far as I am concerned!

You haven’t seen the pictures from Newmarket/mallow/kanturk then?

The radar returns over West Clare would make you expect theres heavy precip here, but there's none!

That’s common with the radar and snow
    It’s been commented on ever since this forum opened
    It’s precipitation that’s not reaching the ground

• Advertisement

Was at the Cliffs of Moher earlier and at 200 m in an easterly wind it was just cold, icy rain. In Lahinch now and the sun's just starting to make an appearance.

Clearing up now with the sun peaking in and out, temperatures starting to climb too. 3.2mm of sleet today :)

I'm very aware of evaporation of precip on the radar, commonly seen when precipitation is light or even moderate, however with such strong radar returns it's very strange to see nothing more than spitty sleet or nothing at all!

Clearing up now with the sun peaking in and out, temperatures starting to climb too. 3.2mm of sleet today :)

I'm very aware of evaporation of precip on the radar, commonly seen when precipitation is light or even moderate, however with such strong radar returns it's very strange to see nothing more than spitty sleet or nothing at all!

Semi-melted snow has a much higher signal-return on radar than either snow or rain due to the liquid layer on the much larger snow particle. The returned signal is proportional to the 4th power of droplet diameter. That may be why returns look bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

jackrussel wrote: »
    You haven’t seen the pictures from Newmarket/mallow/kanturk then?

Where are those pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

A narrow but enlarging band of precipitation has suddenly appeared in the past 15 minutes, stretching from Sligo to Naas....hmmm. I can see virga falling from the clouds at my location in North Kildare. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Where are those pics

Check out cork safety alerts on FB or Twitter. They have their own website up now - corksafetyalertsDOTcom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

highdef wrote: »
    A narrow but enlarging band of precipitation has suddenly appeared in the past 15 minutes, stretching from Sligo to Naas....hmmm. I can see virga falling from the clouds at my location in North Kildare. Interesting

Hirlam did indeed suggest something like that would happen- i wonder is it hitting the ground.

The model playing a blinder today so far. I can visually see locally in Dub high level precip at the moment...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Light rain here in Waterford City, Temp 3.4c DP 2.7c

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Don't see anything falling from that precip on the cams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

highdef wrote: »

It really pepped on the radar from 2.30. Showing as sleet on the netweather radar.
    437222.png
    437223.png

Edit: has weakened a lot on the last few radar returns. Sky clearing again overhead here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Snowing 6 miles north east of Kilkenny, 220m asl.
    Currently 1.4C.
    Nothing major but it is readily sticking on the cold surfaces.

Sky looks to be getting organized here and you can see the white precip falling above

Light rain here in Waterford City, Temp 3.4c DP 2.7c

www.waterfordweather.com

Cloudy and calm in Arklow
    Can see the darker cloud to the SW and West
    3.1c
    Dp -1c

One of our number here was reporting something similar near moynalty co Meath at the height of the not terribly marginal 2010 spell
    Strong echoes,no precip
    It’s more common than you’d think
    You’d often see hail streaming across clouds that wouldn’t hit the ground and associated echoes
    I’d imagine echoes from hail or ice crystals can give misleading radar images too when expecting more on the ground
    Science is good but nature is always the winner in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Lightly snowing here now in south west Laois...Lovely to watch with a nice glass of port:D

.... Starting to stick now as well 126m asl

The model playing a blinder today so far. I can visually see locally in Dub high level precip at the moment...

Not sure that it is. It may have the precip right but as JCX says, it's not all hitting the surface, and of what is, a lot is rain. The Hirlam has a huge swathe of snow over the southern third of the country this afternoon but it's not turned out that way at low levels. That's why I don't put a whole lot of faith in the model precip-type forecasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭arctictree

+1.6c here in Roundwood. Sky looking very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Met eireann have changed the yellow weather warning for snow ice again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Banks of the Boyne are frozen here in Mornington Co Meath. First all day frost / ice this winter.

Advertisement