Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What words should be banned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Mindful

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

^didn't that model face a backlash for blacking-up, / using photoshop to appear darker than she was?
    You mean like a fake tan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Any words after #

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

“Cultural appropriation”

****ing hell . So they want us to disregard their “culture” as oppose to embrace it ? Funny how plenty of African Africans “culturally appropriate”/embrace white man culture once they get out of the ghetto , yo ie suits ,membership of golf clubs ,staying out of jail etc (For the eternally outraged , this is a joke) You know Jay Z

Hell, some high profile black Americans Like Wacko Jackson, Little Kim, and Beyoncé have lightened their skin tone

As annoying as the Yanks bastardising our culture eg St Patrick’s Day and Halloween or the European Christmas or replacing bunnies with Holy stuff at Easter ,we don’t get too pissy. We take it as a compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

hard to know which thread in CA to throw this in to, so i'll just put it here...

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/06/scrabble-players-debate-slurs.html

That's totally ridiculous - surely Jesuit is already banned as a proper noun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

biko wrote: »
    "Challenge" when you're too PC to say "Problem".

HAHAHA, "No challenge", instead of "No problem".... runs through my head everyday thanks to that Louis Theroux doc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Toxic masculinity.

In fairness I only ever hear Roe McDermott use it but she somehow always manages to squeze it in every time she is on the radio.

Although seeing as she is the sister of Eoghan McDermott, the guy who wanted to ban Fairytale of New York means being annoying must in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Toxic masculinity.

In fairness I only ever hear Roe McDermott use it but she somehow always manages to squeze it in every time she is on the radio.

Although seeing as she is the sister of Eoghan McDermott, the guy who wanted to ban Fairytale of New York means being annoying must in the family.

No nepotism there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

I hate when parents call their children "smallies".
    Makes my blood boil.

Also, the word "solidarity" is overused on Twitter and makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

It's not even a bloody word, but don't get me started on "BAE".

G'way outta that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

"Going forward"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Banning words or their use smacks of 21st century iconoclasm to me and that hasn't worked out well in any of the other centuries it's kicked off in ;)

Yes certain words are loaded, yes certain groups assign an inordinate amount of outrage to those words.

It would be far more productive for those groups however to work on changing hearts and minds of those who do deliberately provoke their outrage, than it would be to change dictionaries.

Language isn't static, nor should attitudes to its usage be.
    Much like the fight of some to reappropriate words to remove their power, it should really be remembered that no matter how debased the language a person uses is...

One does not need to take offence at it, it is often far better to meet hate with an effort to educate and correct.
    Not to enforce censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's 3 words but "I know right?" is creeping very quickly into Ireland, don't encourage it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

non-binary

Gender fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, Lomu would technically be a zombie!

Or a god

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

banie01 wrote: »
    Banning words or their use smacks of 21st century iconoclasm to me and that hasn't worked out well in any of the other centuries it's kicked off in ;)

Yes certain words are loaded, yes certain groups assign an inordinate amount of outrage to those words.

It would be far more productive for those groups however to work on changing hearts and minds of those who do deliberately provoke their outrage, than it would be to change dictionaries.

Language isn't static, nor should attitudes to its usage be.
    Much like the fight of some to reappropriate words to remove their power, it should really be remembered that no matter how debased the language a person uses is...

One does not need to take offence at it, it is often far better to meet hate with an effort to educate and correct.
    Not to enforce censorship.

Ahem! After Hours after all....not to be taken too seriously, K? (hate that too)

After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh and not to piss anybody off while doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Omission. I'm not sure if it should be banned but it should defiantly be left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Gender fluid.

Unfortunately my rather distressing mind thinks of male and female fluids when ever those words are mentioned.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Unfortunately my rather distressing mind thinks of male and female fluids when ever those words are mentioned.

Another made up term for a generation of confused people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Strawman.
    Whataboutery.
    Mong.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Loose when used rather than lose it is just wrong wrong wrong.

Loose jeans +
    Loose the argument :(

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Privilege.

The next person to tell me I am privileged or abusing my privilege or any such hipster lingo will get my size 11 shoes into their shins learn about a person and what has brought them to where they are today before you make assumptions about them. It's a very volatile term to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Absolutely".

Every fecker seems to use this all the time especially when asked a question on RTE or TV3. I don't think it is so universal in the UK.

Q: The Greens are divided on this.
    A: Absolutely.

Just say "Yes". It seems to have become more prevalent in the last few years or maybe once I noticed it being used all the time I notice it all the more.

All those overused, unimaginative clichés currently, including...

The reality (on the ground) is..
    Best practice.
    Fit/ unfit for purpose.
    The dogs on the street know...
    Sustainable/unsustainable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

Crevice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Whataboutery.

Used a lot here, I've never actually heard it pronounced but I imagine it can only be said in a northern accent. Drives me up the fúcking wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's not even a bloody word, but don't get me started on "BAE".

G'way outta that.

This word and those who use it could trigger me to extreme violence...

Not you obviously but people who incorporate it into their daily vocabulary...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

everybody...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's 3 words but "I know right?" is creeping very quickly into Ireland, don't encourage it!

I know right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the notion of banning a word is utterly ridiculous.

Most hate the N word , more specifically its connotations etc, despite a certain demographic who hate said word that frequently use it
    Women dont like the C word

With so many people upset over a word...yes a word...we will soon be at the point when every letter will be known as the "a word", "b word", "c word" etc.

What happens when we run out of letters ? Do we start doubling up
    Suppose the word Nonce was banned....would that be N-word #2 ?

Advertisement