Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Candie wrote: »
    There are so many stories of near-abductions on this thread that if I had young kids I'd certainly turn into one of those mothers who's afraid to let them out alone.

Some really scary near-misses here.:(

To an extent I can understand that but I guess its just important that children are told about these situations and what to do.
    One thing that struck me when I had that experience was that the man was good looking, dressed smartly etc not your stereotypical looking nutjob and he also seemed so calm, nearly dull in expression like he was in full acceptance of what he was going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

well thanks everyone for your contributions; between reading this thread and the heebie geebies last night after thursdays beer - i never slept a wink last night.

had a few strange experiences when i was a student in belfast in the early 90's. Me and seven other girls lived in a large three storey victorian house just off Botanic Avenue. The back yard was very small with a high wall and a solid wooden gate which led out to a back alley - thats were bins were collected from. The alley was creepy and there would have been a few crusties and the like hanging around. Leaving the bin out was always done in pairs. We had previously been broken into and to strengthen the gate, our landlord had fitted two sets of brackets on it and then a couple of planks set into them.

So one night me and another girl left the bin out. It was a dark and wet night. We came back in and closed the gate and were trying to put the planks into the brackets but they had swollen in the rain. We pushed and heaved at them and got the first one in but I got a splinter in my finger.

I kinda yelped 'ouch splinter splinter'. Immediately and just on the other side of the gate a male voice whispered 'splinter splinter'. we both heard it, screamed and ran into the house.

On another night we were drinking and getting ready to go out. There was no phone in the house but there was a public phonebox opposite our front door. Me and the same girl went out to phone her sister who lived about ten streets away (she had a phone in the house - very posh in those days). We both had bottles of beer with us and were pretty tipsy. We were standing in the phonebox and a police landrover drove past and stopped. it reversed back - i was worried we were going to get told off and fined for drinking in public. A policeman came and knocked the door of the phonebox. We opened the door and he was pretty agitated. he asked us did we live nearby - we pointed across the road. He told us to get home immediately and lock the door - there was a man with a knife terrorising the street. We ran like hell!

Another night me and the same girl (god we were always in trouble) were walking home after a night out, we were fairly close to home and we realised a man was walking behind us. We both just got the feeling he was up to no good. I told her to walk a bit faster and we did - so did he. We got to the end of the road and we could see our front door and we started to run - so did he. We ran like hell, got into he house and just got the door closed in his face. He hung around for a while and we were worrying for the others who were also out - no mobile phones to warn them but he eventually went away.

Moral of the story: Don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Moral of the story: Don't drink.

yes daddy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

yes daddy :rolleyes:

Joking, less of the attitude now go to your room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Joking, less of the attitude now go to your room.

i know - tired and bored at work here - i'd love to go to my room lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

This mightn't sound as creepy as it was to me, but it's a memory that's stayed with me and even managed to creep into flashbacks when feeling panicked of late...
    About 9, walking home from school on my usual route, when a guy, who I recognised as being the father of two kids in my school, lept out fron behind a wall and scared me sh*tless. He kinda had the child catcher from ChittyBangBang look.. (I was nine so that was my best description). I started running and he said that he thought I was his daughter, which maybe he did but it scared the life outta me.

Another time on hols in Salou with my parents, aged 7, I remember paddling in the line sight of my mam.. I saw this guy gesturing for me to come to him; everytime I saw him in the week he made the same 'come here' gesture and I really was scared (this was probably all around the time us kids told stories about the kidnappers in a van so I was scared anyways ). God knows it might have been my mind but regardless it terrified me and still gives me the creeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

On holidays at a Sydney beach back in the 80s. My brother got caught in a rip and started crying. He was about 10 at the time and Ihad never seen him cry before so without thinking I swam out to him.

Within minutes I too was caught in the rip. we were getting dragged over to some rocks and I truly thought this was it.

I screamed to my youngest sister to get help... my brother and I were getting dragged under the water when out o fnowhere a man on a surfboard was next to me. I was crying and said please don't let us die.

He said he won't and to hold on to the board, which we both did.

He took us to the water's edge and we thanked him and ran to my mum who was not far away and had had no idea we were in any trouble (we were not in deep water but had been swept out so fast).

My mum wanted to thank the man, but when we turned around, there was no-one there. The beach was practically empty and he would have had to pass us to get to the walking trail off the beach and he had not passed us.

All I remember was he had a silver crucifix around his neck. I will never forget that.

We ended up going home from the holiday early as we were all too traumatised by it all to stay out the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Great thread, loving some of the responses. I was expecting loads of 'paranormal' stuff, but this thread is packed full of genuinely creepy stuff that isn't the usual "I saw a ghost!" :)

The creepiest thing that has happened to me (unless there's something I have repressed!) happened about a year ago. It might not come across well in text, but I'll give it a go.

I was asleep one night and was having a bizarre dream. We've all had nightmares, but the word doesn't do this justice. I remember walking around some completely empty place, there was nothing overtly frightening happening, but I was overcome by the intense sense of dread, like nothing I have ever experienced before. There was a sense of something incredibly malevolent watching me from outside of reality.

This went on for what seemed like hours, as I tried to find some way out of the place. My entire body felt tight, and knotted, and every part of me was screaming at me to 'escape'. Eventually, I became aware that it was a dream. I knew that my girlfriend was in the bed beside me and I heard her telling me it was okay, it was just a dream. But then she started to become frightened, terrified even, and I wanted so badly to wake up and help her.

I started trying to talk back to her from inside my dream, but I couldn't make the words come out.

Switch to the real world and what happened from her perspective:

She was fast asleep and was awakened by the sound of me moaning. She always says I mumble in my sleep sometimes, but she can't understand the words, so she thought nothing of it. Gradually though, my moans started to sound more and more like words until I eventually said, very clearly, "Wake me".

She tapped me on the shoulder, as she puts it "just the lightest touch" and I bolted awake.

The part about her telling me it was okay, and then becoming frightened never actually happened. It was like a dream within a dream. It probably doesn't sound like much, but I will never forget that intense feeling of horror, I just don't have the words to describe it. Pretty impressed that I managed to make myself speak coherently in my sleep too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I took 2 double dipped strawberry acid tabs and went to see candyman the horror movie in the savoy cinema on o'connell street.Wasnt right in the head for weeks afterwards:pac:

does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Leaving school as a kid, a man took me by the arm and tried to take me into his car. I was screaming but he kept calm and just acted like I was his recaltricant child. Another mother recognised me and came over upon which he released me and said "I thought I was meant to take him home."
    It had been a complete stranger.

One night as a teenager walking home from the city, a man pulled up asking for directions. The route he asked was not so simple so he said "Are you going that way, Sure jump in and Ill drop you off and you can show me the way." Foolishly I did.
    His demeanor changed as soon as the door was locked and he started acting weird saying that his wife would kill him if she knew he picked up a stranger. He then said he was not gay and asked did I have anything against the gay scene. He asked me had I much to drink. Alarm bells were ringing in my head at this stage and I glanced behind me to ensure there was nobody in the back seat. He then said would I like to join him at a party with some fellows. He again said his wife would kill him if she found out. For a moment I thought he would not stop. I insisted that he stop but he just repeated that he would drop me off later. I was trembling with adrenaline at this stage and was considering grabbing the wheel and crashing the car as he was really acting weird. I shouted "STOP THE CAR" and thankfully he pulled over. I ran the rest of the way home, taking routes down laneways where a car could not follow while looking behind my shoulder every few seconds.

On holiday, I was called to reception one morning because the people in the neighbouring apartment woke in the night to find a stranger in their room. He asked for me by name. We never found out who he was or why he was looking for me. I did not know anybody at the resort and even so, they would never go into somebodies room in the dead of night.

Why do I always attract the weirdoes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I was walking to the shop with my sister once when we were about 9 years old. We were just under halfway there I suppose, our road is kind of long and winding before you turn a corner, and once you turn it you feel like you're making good distance.

We glanced over to the other side of the road and there was some weird man in a suit looking at us, and I remember he stuck out his bottom lip at us and made some weird face. That was enough to set us off panicking (visibly!), but rather than..you know..stop, he crossed the road. So we ran.

We got to the shop anyway (REALLY don't know why we never turned back!) and bought our sweets, just starting to calm down. We were waiting at the lights and there he was again! He looked at us as we waited to cross and seemed to speak into some kind of walkytalky under his jacket, might've been a phone but it was a really weird way of speaking on a phone. By this point my sister was crying and I was close enough too, so we walked a different way home.

Probably not the worst story to have, but it was scary as sh1t at the time. :eek:

As a matter of interest, does anyone remember in a previous thread like this where someone said they were chased home by someone wielding a mace? THAT was scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Patchy~ wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, does anyone remember in a previous thread like this where someone said they were chased home by someone wielding a mace? THAT was scary.

Yep, here it is
    when i was on my last year in primary school
    my brother was on his first
    we lived in a very isolated area, our farmhouse was about half a mile in from main road,
    we went to school by bus
    one evening after getting off bus, there was this car at end of our road, a rough looking man about forty yrs got out with a ball which looked to have spikes on it swinging from a chain, this person started following us swinging this ball, we ran for our lives through bushes ditches fields, till we got to our father and calling out him, if we had not been so thin and quick on our feet to this day i dont know what would have happened, i was twelve or thirteen my brother was six. we were torn bleeding from thorns and bushes blood gushing from us.
    today i still see it clearly as an adult, my brother has nightmares about it, some time ago we were discussing it, and i realise that it had a bigger impact on him than me
    we also wondered about those missing, and could this person have anything to do with it

Scared the crap out of me when I read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

Didnt happen to me but told to me by my mother, The year was about 1979
    and my mother and father had moved to north of england from Ireland.

Anyway they moved into their new council house and settled in. so about a week later they were awoken at 3 in the morning by a creepy knocking at the front door.

The father was like who the f**k is that?:confused: as they didnt really know anyone at this stage as they were not long there.

So the father goes downstairs with the mother following, and opens the door to find a woman about 70 years of age demanding to know what was my mother and farther doing in her house and to get out . Anyway father had to stop her from forcing her way into the hallway and the old woman shouting this is my house! get out!. The father thought maybe she was drunk and had got her house mixed up with theirs.

Eventually they just closed the door and the old woman must of f**ked off, and they went back to bed. Next day they got talking to the next door neigbour about it and described the old woman who had been ranting and raving at them in the middle of the night.

The neighbours face went a shade of grey as they said they had known the old woman and infact she was the prevoius tenant befour my mother and father moved in . The creepy thing was the old woman had been dead for 6 months!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 HelloGiggles

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

I just jumped off my bed and smacked my mac onto the ground. damn you!:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Ahh that mace story is still scary!

And oh wow, that story about the angry old woman reminded me the exact same thing happened to us 2 and a half years ago. :eek: My dad had warned me about her and I answered the door, she was so unnerving in her general manner despite being a harmless enough old woman. She just stood there telling me how this was her house but she thought I was nice so I could live in it...so I went along with it, thanked her and closed the door.

She'd do it again and again and it got pretty irritating to be honest. One of my friends even bumped into her at the bus stop without realizing and she started telling him her address...my address. :eek: She even once walked in the gate, got told it wasn't her house, walked out, and walked back in right after. Then it got a bit more heated; she heard my sister playing music on a speaker and went crazy, banging on the door and screaming in the letterbox that we were having parties in her house. Sometimes she'd just stand at the door trying to pick the lock, asking the air if it knew any good locksmiths.

I think the time that takes the biscuit was when I heard the doorbell going at 1am. She had walked miles to my house in the middle of the night, and just wandered off down the road when no one answered.

She wasn't a ghost or anything, and I did feel sorry for her, but it was pretty creepy for the 6 months all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

This story came from my Aunt, talking about my cousin who both live in Australia.

He was working on a construction site as an electrician, and electricity was switched on where it wasn't mean to be.

He got electrocuted in front of his workmates, he was dead on the spot, hair smouldering.

When the ambulance arrived they pronounced him dead, and loaded him into the back of it, the paramedics went around the front while leaving the back door open (to radio it in, or paperwork or whatever) and when one of the paramedics turned around to walk back and shut the doors, he saw a guy in a white suit walking away from the back of the ambulance.

When he went back he looked in and there was my cousin, sitting up, looking dazed but otherwise okay.

Freaky story, some people think it was a miracle, or the help of God or whatever. Some think it was just a mistake on the paramedics part where it was a delayed reaction or something like that.

Creepy and unnerving anyway..!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Great thread, loving some of the responses. I was expecting loads of 'paranormal' stuff, but this thread is packed full of genuinely creepy stuff that isn't the usual "I saw a ghost!" :)

The creepiest thing that has happened to me (unless there's something I have repressed!) happened about a year ago. It might not come across well in text, but I'll give it a go.

I was asleep one night and was having a bizarre dream. We've all had nightmares, but the word doesn't do this justice. I remember walking around some completely empty place, there was nothing overtly frightening happening, but I was overcome by the intense sense of dread, like nothing I have ever experienced before. There was a sense of something incredibly malevolent watching me from outside of reality.

This went on for what seemed like hours, as I tried to find some way out of the place. My entire body felt tight, and knotted, and every part of me was screaming at me to 'escape'. Eventually, I became aware that it was a dream. I knew that my girlfriend was in the bed beside me and I heard her telling me it was okay, it was just a dream. But then she started to become frightened, terrified even, and I wanted so badly to wake up and help her.

I started trying to talk back to her from inside my dream, but I couldn't make the words come out.

Switch to the real world and what happened from her perspective:

She was fast asleep and was awakened by the sound of me moaning. She always says I mumble in my sleep sometimes, but she can't understand the words, so she thought nothing of it. Gradually though, my moans started to sound more and more like words until I eventually said, very clearly, "Wake me".

She tapped me on the shoulder, as she puts it "just the lightest touch" and I bolted awake.

The part about her telling me it was okay, and then becoming frightened never actually happened. It was like a dream within a dream. It probably doesn't sound like much, but I will never forget that intense feeling of horror, I just don't have the words to describe it. Pretty impressed that I managed to make myself speak coherently in my sleep too.

Sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis my friend. Look it up. The sense of dread, tight & knotted body, feeling of being watched by a malevolent being/superbeing are all pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

ricero wrote: »
    A serial rapist was caught hiding in my front garden when I was just a child. Creepy stuff

Wasn't much fun for me either!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis my friend. Look it up. The sense of dread, tight & knotted body, feeling of being watched by a malevolent being/superbeing are all pointers.

I get sleep paralysis several times, but sometimes it is accompanied by loud buzzing in my ears and the feeling of being lifted off the bed and up towards the ceiling.

The last time it happened was when I was visiting my sister and was sleeping in her spare room. I had only just gone to sleep when I felt myself being lifted towards the ceiling and I swear I remember feeling the ceiling very close to my face and being able to touch it. I was calling out my sister's name and her husband heard me and sent her in to me. She woke me up but I was absolutely terrified. Anybody else who gets sleep paralysis ever experience this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Great thread.

My mother was asleep when she was awoke by what she thought was her father slightly kissing her on the forehead,The next morning her sister came over to tell her there father had passed away the night before.

Another time I was in a relations house in cavan,no one else there,when I just heard all these little girls laughing and giggling, getting louder and louder and than just stopped,I was terrified and till this day don't know what caused it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

BEST

THREAD

EVER

in the world

ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I remember when I was smaller I used to hear knocking at my window at night, only at night, but it was pretty frequent scared me anyway, there wasn't even anything near the window to knock against it. God, as well I remember one night I woke up to this screaming, like a banshee's wail, incredible loud. I know when you wake up suddenly the noises in your dream can kind of come out when you wake up but this lasted for a fairly long time and then just disappeared. Freaked me out.
    Also remember when we went on our school tour to a swimming complex in Dublin this fairly young guy (I'd say mid-twenties) kept following all the girls around and I think he tried asking them for a kiss as well (we were only in sixth class) and I remember him asking where I lived. He wouldn't leave us alone so eventually we had to call the lifeguard. It certainly doesn't compare to some of the other stories people have but it's was pretty intimidating at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Tisserand wrote: »

I get sleep paralysis several times, but sometimes it is accompanied by loud buzzing in my ears and the feeling of being lifted off the bed and up towards the ceiling.

The last time it happened was when I was visiting my sister and was sleeping in her spare room. I had only just gone to sleep when I felt myself being lifted towards the ceiling and I swear I remember feeling the ceiling very close to my face and being able to touch it. I was calling out my sister's name and her husband heard me and sent her in to me. She woke me up but I was absolutely terrified. Anybody else who gets sleep paralysis ever experience this?

I've had it several times too but have never had that sensation. Mine is usually the feeling of someone else being in the room, a dark presence/figure watching over me. This tends to lead to my attempt at shouting and moving my body but the paralysis keeps me from moving. Now, I know what's happening so while it is still unnerving I tend to not be as scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I lived with my sister and her then 2yr old son, I must have been 17 at the time and worked in a restaurant around the corner. This creepy man, wore a camel colour trench coat, his skin looked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I lived with my sister and her then 2yr old son, I must have been 17 at the time and worked in a restaurant around the corner.

This creepy man was found eating a burger In the restaurant store room. He wore a camel colour trench coat, his skin looked pale and he was skinny and tall and around 40yrs old. The girls were creeped out and told me stories about him waiting outside or following people, and had to be shooed away from a primary school as he'd linger outside!

So I didn't pay much attention, just shrugged it off. He'd come in the odd time and buy a small cake.

Then one night, I was at home asleep and was woken up by someone knocking at the front door at 1am and it was him I asked him what he wanted ' can I stay here the night I don't have anywhere to sleep '. the fighter in me went into protect mode for my sister and nephew as I'm quite protective of family. I started shouting at him to leave us alone and to never come back to my door or else I'd kill him. He went to come in the front door and this guy came past and I asked for help and he told the man to f&€k off.

But he must have been following me for a few months to find out where I lived :(

Then... About a year later I went to cork city, around a 40min drive and was in tesco at the back,in the corner looking at crisps with my nephew and the same man came along and tried to say hello to my nephew. I was shaking and as he put his hand out to shake my nephews hand I screamed for him to leave him alone. I ran out the shop but it never occurred to me at the time that he was following me! It just seemed this stuff only happened to people on tv or magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

About ten years ago when I was 14 I was still awake in bed at home, probably around 12:30am when I heard a bang downstairs. Thought nothing of, old gaff etc but the bangs and moving around continued. Opened the door of my bedroom to see the lights were on downstairs (i was last to bed and had turned em off). I could see in the reflection of the a window on the stairs a figure of a man standing in the hallway downstairs. Woke the father up, who ended up coming downstairs to find some man standing in the hallway, chased your man out the back door that he had broken down. My Dad came back in after your man had got away and went into the front room to ring the guards.

After 15mins after your man had made his escape I was sitting on the stairs facing the closed door of our dining room, heart still beating like a mad thing. Next thing, some other fella(the first lads accomplice) burst through the dining room door 3 metres in front of me, looked at me and ran out the front door. I nearly died on the stairs from the fright.

As if that wasnt enough as I was walked back up the stairs about 10 minutes later to wake up my sister etc, I look out the window to see the two thiefs have regrouped and our walking back in our gate(we presume to take the cars of which they had the keys!). I bang on the window and they sketched never to be seen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Not necessarily scary, just odd, freaked me out for days.

On the 1st of October this year my Grandfather died. Most of his belongings were kept in the hospital room where he died and it took us about a full day to clear it out. We picked up all his shirts and ties, his hygiene items etc.

We had come to the last drawer where he kept most of his jewelry. He had left his rosary beads on top of one of his favourite watches. We turned over the watch, the time was stopped at 11:55 (around the time that he died) and the date inside the watch was stopped on the 1st (but the month wasn't correct).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Nothing spooky but 3 weeks ago I was staying by myself in my mother's home place for a night, it is in a very rural location and rarely used but in very good condition. Anyway I woke up at some stage during the night with the sensation that there was something moving around on my chest, it felt like a small animal however I was completely unable to move my body, all I could do was blow air out of my mouth to keep it away from my face.

Anyway next morning I woke up, was unsure whether I had dreamt the event or not but as I was making the bed I discovered a round pile of seeds on the base of the bed beside the mattress which had to have been placed there very recently, I am pretty sure it wasn't just a dream and it was either a squirrel, pine marten or (shudder) rat that was up on top of me.

I'm not sure how long I was awake for, I can only remember what seems like a minute or two but I certainly was freaked out at the sensation of the animal on my chest and my complete inability to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

at 14 went to relations in the south a france to learn French for a summer. My room faced the midday sunshine and was fine only thing was i had to get extra blankets to keep warm when in bed and basically froze in the room all the time.this was mid july and 35' outside.
    Upon leaving to go back home my aunt told me the history of the house and who owned it. apparently my room plus the 3 other rooms next to me were used by the Nazis as interagation and torture rooms of the local French Resistance during WW2.
    the energy of pain and injustice can linger in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In the early seventies I was walking back from school one evening along Dublin Road from Athy. A car pulled up, yellow Fiat 131 or similar and a man (30ish respectable looking) offered me a lift home and opened the passenger door, I hesitated, he then said he knew my parents. The reason I didn't take the lift was that I was almost outside my house at that time and said that to him - thought it strange if he knew them why did he not know where our house was! Then he offered sweets but I was moving away at that stage. I described him and the car to my parents but they had no idea of who he was. Thank God I wasn't a bit further away from home at the time.

Advertisement