Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

A story from when I was a kid on holiday at my Nans in rural West Clare.

We went yearly as kids up to my Nans, a long drive to get there.. My Nan lived in her house with my Uncle and when we stayed there we shared a room with our parents - us three kids slept in a big old bed while my Mam and Dad slept next to us in a normal double bed that was lower than ours.. the fun we use to have jumping from one bed to the other.

One Summer holiday, the night after we arrived, my Mother still being tired, decided not to go out with my Dad, Uncle and Nan, to see an old family friend who lived nearby (nearby: as in miles away) So she stayed behind, and after a while she put the 3 of us to bed while she herself got into her bed to sleep. My Nan's house was a cottage type and had a long hall down to the bedrooms - well, it seemed like a very long hall to me being a kid at the time.. anyway, later that night, after 11 or so, she heard the front door open. I remember this because I woke up when she did, she sat bolt upright, hushed me, and became very still.. she knew it was too soon for the others to be back and years later she told me she knew something was amiss because she had not heard any car engine. After the front door opened, she heard it close, then the footsteps became louder all the way down the hall to our Uncle's bedroom, which was beside ours. Then we both heard a knock on the bedroom door.. My mother got out of bed and went out into the hall, shutting our bedroom door behind her and asked this man, a stranger, what he wanted.. he didn't look directly at her just called out my uncle's name, when my Mam told him he was out, he continued to call my uncle's name and knock on the bedroom door, but then, he suddenly turned on his heels, walked down the hall, out the front door, slamming it as he went. My mother didn't sleep after that just spent her time peering out the window wondering and waiting for my Dad to come home, listening out for the sound of the car. I must have fallen asleep as I don't remember anything else that night..

The next day my Mother had an awful time of it because neither my uncle or Dad believed her.. said she dreamt it. No-one my uncle or Dad knew would ever call at the house at that time, and, as it was dark, and the house was in the middle of no-where, how did this person get there, as he was not local and had no car, how would he have known the lane ways and roads in the dark on a bike or walking. My uncle knew everyone for miles about, but knew no-one re the man she had described. I was called in to the middle of it to prove that it had happened and to say what I had heard.. my Mother just sat there with folded arms, tight lips, adamant that this man had walked into the house and scared the life out of her.. and wanted to know who he was.

I had forgotten all about this until years later when my Nan died - and a few years after her, my Uncle too - and I asked my Mam about it.. she told me the story again, in full, and said she had done her best to find out who he was, even subsequent holidays, asking around, but no-one in the area knew who he was. She said it was really odd as the man was tall, frowning face, distinctive looking, beard etc. said she know him immediately if she ever saw him again, and yet he, whoever he was, wasn't from there.. and wasn't known by anyone or seen ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Some truly terrifying stories on this thread. Loving it.;)

When I was backpacking in Australia once, I had the most terrifying experience of my life.

One night, I was lying in bed in my house. Everyone was in bed and I was knackered tired from the night before. Out of nowhere, I started to hear this scratching sound coming from outside. The house had a wooden front and the scratches became longer and more intense. I couldn't figure it out. Then this weird shaky, slow, heavy breathing happened. Scratch scratch and then the breathing. I was absolutely terrified. I remember thinking 'I have to run over to turn on the light but was literally rooted to the spot'. I was afraid to open my eyes in case I saw a ghost or someone in the room. My room was huge and the light switch was on the other side of the room. I ran with my eyes closed and turned the light on. The sounds stopped immediately. For ages, I had no explanation. Until one day, I told a friend and he said that this is the behaviour of possums. Little f*ckers. I thought there was someone trying to kill me!! :pac:

Another night in Dublin, I got a taxi home. I was absolutely locked and my eyes were half closed. The taxi driver kept sh1teing on about Elvis and did I like him? And wasn't he the best thing ever? I was like, err yeah whatever. At this point, he got REALLY aggressive and started shouting at me. He turned the light on in the car and literally floor to ceiling were pictures of elvis sellotaped all over the camp. On the seats and everything but I never noticed. He was like 'I AM ELVIS', whilst shaking his fist. I was like - right, this is my house. I threw him some money, got out and legged it.

One last story.... and a drunk one also.:) When I was about 15, I was knacker drinking with some friends in the fields. The place was huge, pitch black and we were right in the centre. The night was drawing to a close and only me and one friend were left standing. We started walking through the fields to get home. Suddenly, we hear what I can only describe as a blood curdling scream behind us. I was fooking terrified. I began to absolutely leg it and i remember thinking 'what if this is a set up and they've screamed behind us to get us running in this direction'. I've never ran so fast in my life and I just kept my eyes peeled in the direction of the exit. Days later, we found it out was one of the lads messing. What a f*cker!! Everytime i hear Ned Flanders do his girly scream, I think of that night.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Tisserand wrote: »

I get sleep paralysis several times, but sometimes it is accompanied by loud buzzing in my ears and the feeling of being lifted off the bed and up towards the ceiling.

The last time it happened was when I was visiting my sister and was sleeping in her spare room. I had only just gone to sleep when I felt myself being lifted towards the ceiling and I swear I remember feeling the ceiling very close to my face and being able to touch it. I was calling out my sister's name and her husband heard me and sent her in to me. She woke me up but I was absolutely terrified. Anybody else who gets sleep paralysis ever experience this?

Yes, go with it, great fun to be had. It hasn't happened to me in a while but I look forward to it now, scared the crap out of me at the start though, hard to beat a bit of lucid flying if you can get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Nothing spooky but 3 weeks ago I was staying by myself in my mother's home place for a night, it is in a very rural location and rarely used but in very good condition. Anyway I woke up at some stage during the night with the sensation that there was something moving around on my chest, it felt like a small animal however I was completely unable to move my body, all I could do was blow air out of my mouth to keep it away from my face.

Anyway next morning I woke up, was unsure whether I had dreamt the event or not but as I was making the bed I discovered a round pile of seeds on the base of the bed beside the mattress which had to have been placed there very recently, I am pretty sure it wasn't just a dream and it was either a squirrel, pine marten or (shudder) rat that was up on top of me.

I'm not sure how long I was awake for, I can only remember what seems like a minute or two but I certainly was freaked out at the sensation of the animal on my chest and my complete inability to move.

And another sleep paralysis case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

some of these stories are seriously freaking me out but l cant stop reading them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

I have had the whole sleep paralisis thing it is absolutely terrifying, horrible feeling trying to scream for help and not being able too and I also regularly get night night terrors so bed time is not a great experiance for me.

The worst dream/episode I have ever had started out like a 2d platformer video game ala donkey kong, it was the inside of a slaughter house and all I could hear was pigs screaming (horrible blood curdling noise). Anyway it became first person and I was one of the pigs, there was absolutely loads of us and we were being pushed into single file through something which looked like an air duct. There was blood everywhere and ahead of me I could hear screams and crunching noises, I tried to turn around and run but it felt like I was being crushed, eventually I got to the top of the que only to be greeted by a guy wearing a blood stained coat and apron weilding an axe. I roared my lungs off but he just dropped it on my head sending me bolt upright in the bed terrified. My girlfriend said later that I was roaring the house down but she couldn't wake me.

Thankfully nothing creepy has happened to me in real life, well nothing that hasn't got a logical explination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

f*cker!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Theres a few other good threads in the same vein if you want em? :D

Yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Here's an odd one.

Yesterday in work in the middle of an important meeting I suddenly said a colleagues name out loud in the middle of a sentence out of nowhere. It was totally random & made no sense - everyone looked at me as if I was mad. Same colleague has always been very good to me and looked out for me when I was starting out years ago.

Following the meeting I went into the corridor & who was there only the same colleague- who had been missing for weeks following an accident & was on the road to recovery after a long battle.

No windows or sound audible from corridor.
    Spooky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

Tisserand wrote: »
    I get sleep paralysis several times, but sometimes it is accompanied by loud buzzing in my ears and the feeling of being lifted off the bed and up towards the ceiling.

The last time it happened was when I was visiting my sister and was sleeping in her spare room. I had only just gone to sleep when I felt myself being lifted towards the ceiling and I swear I remember feeling the ceiling very close to my face and being able to touch it. I was calling out my sister's name and her husband heard me and sent her in to me. She woke me up but I was absolutely terrified. Anybody else who gets sleep paralysis ever experience this?
    now that you say it that has happend to me a few times where i floated up out of my bed and was able to float down the stairs, it felt so real but oviously it was sleep paralysis, i quite enjoyed it and wish i could summon it on command.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Creepiest thing that happened to me as an adult was a scary dream a couple of years back.

I was alone in my house at night, sleeping as you do!, at around 3am.

I had a dream where I was in my bed but looking over to the partially open door, and there was an almighty roar around the house, like a monster or something. Really loud and scary, shaking the house.

Thing was, it woke me out of my sleep in an instant, and I was then lying in my bed looking over at the door, which was partially open just like in the dream!! except I was of course now awake.

Imagine how confused, and scared I now felt. The fact that I had gone from a dream to awake and all the pieces seemed to fit so exactly, had me lying in bed awake and for maybe 10sec or so I could not tell if I had really heard the noise in the house or if it was a dream!!

Really was weird at the time, and even remembering it now sends a shiver down my spine!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Once I woke up because my best friend who was also my housemate had just whispered in my ear that he was leaving. When I woke up, no sign of him, he was asleep in his own room. Another night I was woken by my boss calling my name right behind me. I have looked it up and it is part of a sleep disorder...I can't remember what it's called.
    It's fairly spooky to have someone talking to you in your room when you're asleep. Not half as spooky as some of the other stories though and at least now I know it isn't real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

This will get no likes but the funny and freaky thing is it 100 per cent happened. Me and my sister back when we were kids in california playing in our front room. anyway out of nowhere we hear something or someone call our names from the room beside us. As god is my witness the voice was crystal clear, it was coming from the back of my parents bedroom. we both looked each other in shock...we went by the room and it called out to us again....we legged it downstairs where our parents were sitting.

we said it to our parents but they didnt give us much consideration. we still stand by it to this day!

I would 100 per cent believe that there is a world beyond what we know. Whether its an afterlife or not, who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Creepiest thing that happened to me was years ago when I was quite young. I used to share a bedroom with my brother at the back of our house and one night I was awoken by a rhythmic humming sound. It would increase in intensity and then decrease again. I thought it was just machinery or something, but then it started to get louder and louder as the minutes passed. A light then started to shine through the curtains. It too got brighter and more intense as the humming got louder.

This went on for around 20 minutes and my brother was still fast asleep as if he couldn't hear a thing. I was petrified and didn't dare move in bed. I had no idea what was causing the light and sound. Eventually the sound became deafening and the light lit up the whole room, as if whatever was causing it was right outside the window. I had to get up and see what it was.

Nervously I opened a slit in the curtains and......................everything stopped. Immediately. The sound was gone and the light had disappeared. I pulled open the curtains to get a good look, nothing, just the back garden.

My heart was still pounding so couldn't get back to sleep for an hour or so. To this day I've no idea what it was, but it scared the absolute **** out of me!

sometime similiar happened to me too!

l was about 6 or 7 & one night l woke up & remember counting 10 square lights shining in through my curtins. l use to sleep in the same bed as my bro (use to be v scared of the dark) but l wasnt freaked out or anything...didnt even wake my bro. l remeber thinking it was an alien spaceship :L v strang.

another night...l was about 11, woke up in the middle of the night & could hear this knocking on a window downstairs. there would be 5 or 6 knocks in a row, this would happen every minute for 5 or ten min...l just blocked my ears & fell asleep...was very freaked out by it...even thinking it might have been someone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

On holiday with in Austria and settling into the hotel for the night. Friend comes bursting out of the bathroom flustered and pale.
    "That was weird!"
    "What?"
    "The upside down glass beside the sink was moving on its own! i had to reach out to stop it or it would have fallen off!"
    "Eh, Was there hot air under it perhaps? Vibrations from a passing truck outside?"
    "No the surface is bone dry. I put it back and it started to move again...and this time when I reached out to grab it, it stopped. Like something was watching me!"

Needless to say we were both very freaked out and tried to figure every logical explanation out but found none.

Next morning I asked the owner had anything weird or strange ever happened in the room above.

She looked very concerned and also confused, and I told her of the glass moving by itself. She then told me that parts of the hotel had been built from the stones of the church and graveyard of the old town. A new church had been built in the new town to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.

I was about 10 or 12, and asleep in my bed, which was upstairs and across a hallway. I was woken up in the middle of the night by noises downstairs. The house is quite big, and based on the layout of the house, I would have been the only one able to hear it, the other bedrooms are in a newer part of the house.

The noises sounded like someone on crutches walking around. It was all wooden floors in the house at the time, and you can't mistake the sound of crutches. Just the sound of them clacking around in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. I was very scared, since I knew noone was awake in the house.

But, it got worse. All of a sudden, the crutches just....flew up the stairs. I could hear them on the individual steps, but...the speed of them was just not possible. It was two seconds from downstairs to upstairs, and then...ACROSS THE HALLWAY!

It wasn't even attempting to be quiet, it just...exploded into my room. My door was closed, and remained closed. My door was a noisy creaky yoke, and it never opened. But, this thing, was in my room, and beside my bed.

Obviously, while the noise and crutches flew up the stairs and into my room, I had thrown myself under the blankets and was trying not to breathe with fear. I could feel something in the room. It clicked quickly around to the opposite side of my bed (the inner side) and...silence. I never looked, I never heard, but something was there, and looking at my bed.

I have no idea how long it went on for, but as quickly as it came, it flew back around my bed, and 'through' the door, and back downstairs. Silence in the house. I'm 90% sure I never heard it again.

I've actually had quite a few experiences, none as...definitive as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

ottostreet wrote: »
    The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'...............

Ugh! This to me is the scariest story on the thread. I couldn't imagine being able to breathe or function during that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

No specifics. I was involved in the dedication of a ww1 Irish soldier in the American Army whose body was returned to Ireland in 1922 during all the stuff that was going on here at that time. Because of this he was buried quietly and without a marker.
    Anyhoo it came to pass that I was involved with the celebration of his part in the great war and finally his grave would be marked with a bronze marker specially brought from the USA (by his modern day relatives who came too). The marker would be put on his grave, a speech would take place and the American Legion would play the last post and it would then be over.
    While the USA relative was taking over a mike at the dedication in the cemetery I decided I would record the entire proceedings by putting my camera on record and placed it on a headstone over the heads of all present, that way no-one would be standing in front of the camera at any time. The speaker went on for about 40 minutes all the time the camera still doing its thing, then the priest came on and said that we were here to celebrate the life of.........(mentions his name) and the camera falls from the gravestone and on to gravel on the grave beside it. All present looked at it as there was silence. The camera did not record that.
    When I came home afterwards, the wife, daughter and dog decided to go for a walk. I was alone, and the doorbell starts ringing, I could see the front door from where I was sitting and there was no-one there. I went and opened the front door, there was no one around and the bell was still going berserk. I plugged the bell out of the wall and back in again and all was well. That was a few months ago. The bell never acted like that before and it never happened again. Instead of being agitated I just smiled and was glad that it happened and that I was part of this unusual happening.
    That was the way it happened, I did not judge it nor dismiss it. thats just the way it was.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.......

Ugh this freaked the ****e out of me

Ugh! This to me is the scariest story on the thread. I couldn't imagine being able to breathe or function during that.

I find it very difficult to describe the total terror that took over, i remember it as clearly as something that happened today. Paralysis is basically what i remember, I could not, and would not look at the spot where I knew it was. I think my young heart would have exploded had I been forced to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not a memory of mine but my sisters, I was four years old and fast asleep. This was in 1969 in a farmhouse in rural Leitrim. At the time the family slept in two rooms, I shared a bed with my sister and my mother and her sister in the other bed, the grandparents slept in the other room.

At around 2am my sister, mother and sibling heard what sounded like a cat screech that resounded as if on reverb, the house is on the side of a mountain so this screeching or screaming seemed to be resounding through the whole valley. My Uncle who was travelling home from Donegal heard the same screeches from 5 kilometres away. My sister reckons this is one of the most terrifying things to happen to her in childhood.

At the same time my mothers other sister who was sick in Ballyshannon hospital had died in the early hours of the morning from a blood clot. My family and quite few in North West are a bit superstitious and believe these cries came from a Banshee that warns you of a death in the family.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Syndic

The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.

Ugh, why did I read this?! I am now terrified that a creepy crutch ghost is coming to get me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

About 15 years ago I was taking a break outdoors during the summer, it was a nice day, mostly blue sky with a few small clouds. I was absent-mindedly looking up at the sky when I noticed a movement crossing one cloud, hard to describe as it wasn't an object but more like a shadow or the silhouette of Predator, the only reason I didn't write it off as a feature of the cloud or a trick of my eye was that it was moving in what seemed to be a perfectly straight line across the cloud, then disappeared when the path left the cloud onto blue sky but I picked it up again crossing a second nearby cloud in what was approximately a continuation of the original path.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Why the hell did I wait until the one night I'm alone in the house to read this?!!!! :(:(

I won't sleep a wink! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I used to share a bedroom with my brother but anyway i get up in the middle of the night and go the toilet, get back into bed and am lying in bed for ages because i couldnt get back to sleep.anyway the door is always kind of open as my brother isnt really a big fan of the dark and i see this dark figure beside the wardrobe. i stare at it for a while wondering if it was just my mind messing with me but then it moves it's hand towards me and next thing i remember is waking up in the morning. my brother didnt know anything about it when i asked him.it was probably just a dream but still is such a scary feeling when you think someone is in your room

I've seen that story about the crutches on here before on another thread. Literally the freakiest thing I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Tapestry Room in Loftus Hall, I never ever ever want to set foot inside there again and I would strongly advise anyone against it, the room is almost alive with malevolance, took me months to get back to sleep again. :eek:

Jesus , even looking at the photo of lofts hall on Wikipedia freaks me out ....

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I've seen that story about the crutches on here before on another thread. Literally the freakiest thing I've ever heard.

I just copied my post over from the Paranormal - Ghost experiences thread.

I always remember that story every so often, like at random times. It must have been some experience. Were you wide awake, able to move? Not like it was Sleep paralysis or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

HoggyRS wrote: »
    About ten years ago when I was 14 I was still awake in bed at home, probably around 12:30am when I heard a bang downstairs. Thought nothing of, old gaff etc but the bangs and moving around continued. Opened the door of my bedroom to see the lights were on downstairs (i was last to bed and had turned em off). I could see in the reflection of the a window on the stairs a figure of a man standing in the hallway downstairs. Woke the father up, who ended up coming downstairs to find some man standing in the hallway, chased your man out the back door that he had broken down. My Dad came back in after your man had got away and went into the front room to ring the guards.

After 15mins after your man had made his escape I was sitting on the stairs facing the closed door of our dining room, heart still beating like a mad thing. Next thing, some other fella(the first lads accomplice) burst through the dining room door 3 metres in front of me, looked at me and ran out the front door. I nearly died on the stairs from the fright.

As if that wasnt enough as I was walked back up the stairs about 10 minutes later to wake up my sister etc, I look out the window to see the two thiefs have regrouped and our walking back in our gate(we presume to take the cars of which they had the keys!). I bang on the window and they sketched never to be seen again!

Christ ,,, like a scene from the waking dead !!!!

Advertisement