Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FORTUNE TELLERS/ MEDIUM

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Again look at 5:44 in the video. Slow it down to 0.25 play speed which you can do on you tube. Joe gives him the note. The Magician then brings his OTHER hand up from a concealed position and places it down over the note. Then fumbles the hands together.

This is a classic 101 move.

Good point I noticed it now touching the bill gave him the opportunity to switch the bill. I doubt Joe Rogan would know the serial number of the dollar he gave him.

How does David Blaine do his trick would that not be harder to pull off?

EDIT: Or actually more likely now I think about it is the reason the switch was so fumbled and relatively long was he was folding down the ditch note so small that he kept it palmed through the entire trick. Harder to do but it is remarkable what you can keep palmed and hidden even when seemingly giving flashes of an empty hand to the audience and camera.

But over all, pretty sure it was a switch trick, not a push trick from earlier on.

What makes this guy so good he said, Joe, any nomination of money will do. Which means Joe could have pulled out any dollar bill with my men's face on it. Not all the dollar bills have the same face. So he has to switch out the right one with Joe bill. Switching different bills would be a difficult trick to pull off an amateur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Funny you should say this. When myself and a few others were studying the techniques of such frauds we noticed something at the time. What we noticed was a claim (I believe it is true but have not checked it deeply) that people who make maps tend to include one small error deliberately in the map so if anyone copies their work they can prove it. Because if your competitor has the same error as you, they must have cheated and plagarized your map.

So a few of us uploaded our CVs to a few sites at the time (was awhile ago now) and each included one lie in it. A job experience we never actually had. We then visited a medium/psychic.

My own lie was work I had done in the sewage systems :) which I thought was funny at the time. The job being a load of crap you see. But my medium / psychic started discussing my history and said things like "I am getting images of a history..... somewhere in the dark..... somewhere that smelled really bad....." and in the end started getting really frustrated with me when I was like "No no I really do not remember any such experience". Until at the end she was THROWING specifics at me "It was a job. I know it was a job. Something to do with....... human waste maybe.......????" before she finally abandoned it.
    Yeh I was just being my hilarious self. I had no intention of misleading any employer as there really was no need to but I did want to make a point. Aware of how few agents actually looked at CV's and given the algorithm used by recruitment agency's software I was interested in how that information would be processed in the system. I'm guessing some keywords were logged and ironically I got a call. Maybe the same thing happened with your psychic's brain :P

Weird thing is the guy who told us to do it landed himself a nice little earner not too long ago and I can only imagine his CV is bedecked with some very glorious attributes so I suppose the moral of the story is..?

Elon Musk is a boardsie. No other explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

This is a classic 101 move.
    Just because your'e interested. I attend worship services weekly, not in Ireland but there is a process which occurs during prayer where prayer leaders or worship minsters will be called to give a "word of knowledge". I started attending after reading some books on early twentieth century revivalists and if you think the world of psychics and mediums is strange you should check out what is known in these ministries as miracles. Healing through the word.
    You can youtube it and find some stuff.

But, again the problem with television is that a lot of those techniques happen before you know it.

In fact with a LOT of magic the trick is done LONG before the bit the observer focuses on. Many card tricks for example... if the trick lasts 5 minutes the actual "move" the trick is based on probably happened in the first 20 seconds. The rest of it is misdirection and patter and play. Derren Brown write a bit about this in "Confessions of a conjurer" (hope I remembered that title right, too lazy to check).

And unfortunately your video comes in / starts right at the delivery end of the trick. He is in a room he was clearly in for I do not know how long before the video started, and likely a lot of the "moves" I would be looking for would have happened then. The TV show shows the amazing bit. But never shows the bit I would need to see as a critical observer.

Your post was long had not the time to read till now. I don't disagree with you, the video is short and your right maybe the trick was done and we just got to see the end result at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

There are two types of people in this world; those that know psychics are charlatans, and idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

koumi wrote: »
    Aware of how few agents actually looked at CV's

Reminds me of an old joke I heard somewhere. This employer gets a stack of job applications. Before reading ANY of them he randomly mixes them.... splits the pile into two.... and throws the first pile in the bin.

When asked why he did this he replies "I do not like to hire unlucky people".
    Good point I noticed it now touching the bill gave him the opportunity to switch the bill.

Yea, I warn anyone who will listen that if you think a magician is about to do a trick with money then try hard to see the last three digits of the serial number BEFORE you give him the note. Had Rogan done that, I genuinely believe it would have ruined the trick entirely.
    How does David Blaine do his trick would that not be harder to pull off?

It is a more impressive trick for sure. But one that all the "mentalist" people do. Barry. Blaine, Brown all do their own version of it.

What I said before however is why I can not really go into more detail. When you do a card trick, if the trick lasts 5 minutes the actual move the trick is based on is usually done in the first 30 seconds. The rest is just filler and patter and distraction.

Similarly the techniques used here likely happened BEFORE the video you linked to started. See how the video started with them all already in a room? They were clearly there already, and for some time too. Most of what I would like to see before commenting on the trick likely happened in that period.

So my hands are tied on that one. I can not give you any specific answers.
    There are two types of people in this world; those that know psychics are charlatans, and idiots.

I thought there were 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary notation and those that do not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Reminds me of an old joke I heard somewhere. This employer gets a stack of job applications. Before reading ANY of them he randomly mixes them.... splits the pile into two.... and throws the first pile in the bin.

When asked why he did this he replies "I do not like to hire unlucky people".

Yea, I warn anyone who will listen that if you think a magician is about to do a trick with money then try hard to see the last three digits of the serial number BEFORE you give him the note. Had Rogan done that, I genuinely believe it would have ruined the trick entirely.

It is a more impressive trick for sure. But one that all the "mentalist" people do. Barry. Blaine, Brown all do their own version of it.

What I said before however is why I can not really go into more detail. When you do a card trick, if the trick lasts 5 minutes the actual move the trick is based on is usually done in the first 30 seconds. The rest is just filler and patter and distraction.

Similarly the techniques used here likely happened BEFORE the video you linked to started. See how the video started with them all already in a room? They were clearly there already, and for some time too. Most of what I would like to see before commenting on the trick likely happened in that period.

So my hands are tied on that one. I can not give you any specific answers.

I thought there were 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary notation and those that do not :)

Wrong again. Three types. Those who can count, and those who can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

what specific things did the person know about that they couldnt possibly have discovered thru public knowledge/investigation or cold reading?

when I posted her it was just to say I find the whole physic thing a mystery, how do these people know what they know? none of the things she told my daughters would have been on social media or anything else , what she said was totally true there is no way she would find these things out from anywhere ?[she never questioned my daughters in any way] I realise from some of the comments people joke about it sure why not [never let people stop you laughing it makes life so enjoyable] sorry for repeating myself but there is no possible way this woman would have known anything about my family, Parents etc.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Leading questions.

Psychological profiling based on past clients.

Facebook profiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if you throw out enough bait you will get a bit. be vague enough and sound very specific doing it and the gullible will latch on .

most people that get sucked in by this crap will fall for a few basic tricks. . most people have lost someone close to them , had a health scare, looking for love or direction in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

decky1 wrote: »
    when I posted her it was just to say I find the whole physic thing a mystery, how do these people know what they know? none of the things she told my daughters would have been on social media or anything else , what she said was totally true there is no way she would find these things out from anywhere ?[she never questioned my daughters in any way] I realise from some of the comments people joke about it sure why not [never let people stop you laughing it makes life so enjoyable] sorry for repeating myself but there is no possible way this woman would have known anything about my family, Parents etc.:confused:

Apply the razor.

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I almost went out with a psychic once, but she dumped me before we met.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crystal Ball for sale. £50, but you will haggle me down to £30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I think there are arguments for both sides of the debate.
    Let's not veer to extremes or black and white answers.
    Best to try and strike a happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Save your money, they are all a bunch of scam artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Advertisement