Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
26-10-2020, 19:19   #526
waldo
Registered User
 
waldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ri rua View Post
Stove or open fire?

I've burned most wood briquettes on the Irish market. Rocket Blaze are unreal, Pini Kay extruded, so made with high pressure and the central hole aids burning.
Ruf-type briquettes are excellent, as are Flamers from Westmeath. They've changed their process too so they're closer to extruded, unlike the Heat Logs style that Aldi and Lidl often sell.
In the last year, Aldi has been stocking Ruf type briquettes in a pack of 7. I have my doubts over the quality of the wood. Not 100% hardwood.
If you have space, get a pallet of two of Rocket Blaze and re-build the packs in your shed. If you haven't got proper storage, don't get wood briquettes. I stored 2 metric tonnes of loose ruf briquettes under tarp, on pallets, at the side of s house. They certainly pulled in moisture. Not much, as in they went from 5% to 10%. But that's still a shame. Why burn water?
How do Rocket Blaze compare to Bord na Mona peat briquettes? Thanks
waldo is offline  
Advertisement
26-10-2020, 21:48   #527
FFVII
Registered User
 
FFVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 664
https://www.ecologs.ie/shop/eco-logs...ood-briquettes

Rocket blaze is out there price wise no?
FFVII is offline  
26-10-2020, 22:11   #528
Heighway61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFVII View Post
https://www.ecologs.ie/shop/eco-logs...ood-briquettes

Rocket blaze is out there price wise no?
Mad money, alright. Thinking of chancing it. Hope it's worth it.
Heighway61 is offline  
26-10-2020, 22:28   #529
An Ri rua
Registered User
 
An Ri rua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
How do Rocket Blaze compare to Bord na Mona peat briquettes? Thanks
I would say far more heat from Rocket Blaze. I think they still do sample packs? You can check the amount of energy they produce (Mj) and them compare like for like.
Importantly, as others have said, such little ash from wood briquettes. Turf, like coal, tends to give back a huge amount of ash. Sometimes feels like it's own weight again!!
I find wood briquettes great for producing intense flame which can help denser woods like oak or blackthorn burn better in an open fire.

But then, I like to experiment with fire (sounds worse than it is!). Currently, I've sold on an Eco grate and now I'm solely using storage heater bricks to extract the maximum energy from small, hot wood fires, with some Arigna or Staffords coal nuggets interspersed. It's effectively a mini masonry heater or sort of rocket mass heater (without the rocket). Though I have experimented with a rocket stove and storage heater bricks to create a rocket mass heater in an open fireplace..!
The intense heat of this storage heater brick firebox creates a sort of gasifier effect. Tremendous heat and combustion with little to no smoke.

Last edited by An Ri rua; 26-10-2020 at 22:46.
An Ri rua is offline  
Thanks from:
26-10-2020, 22:41   #530
An Ri rua
Registered User
 
An Ri rua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heighway61 View Post
Stove. They will be stored in a garage.

Was wondering if the "All Night Long" are so called because they are long burning, or if the name is just marketing.

Think I'll go with Rocket Blaze. Very pricey though.

Thanks a million for the info. Big help to a complete novice.
The trick with Pini Kay style briquettes is to open the damper and let them really combust then,when they're burning, close it down and they will glow. They're still solid when poked when they look burnt, whereas a compressed log that is not extruded like Pini Kay process will disintegrate when you poke at it and very often start to burn badly. The compressed ones WILL expand, thus they need careful watching in either an open fire or against glass. Rocket Blaze do not expand.
I would be surprised if you got through a whole pack in a good (room heater) stove on a long evening from say 5 til 12am. So that's 3 months (96 packs) fires for yes a pricey 399. Obviously in an open fire or a boiler stove they'll go a bit quicker.
If you buy some nice logs now, you can have them drying between now and Christmas and, when out in with the wood briquettes, along with a few coal nuggets, you may never want to leave your house again

Last edited by An Ri rua; 26-10-2020 at 22:44.
An Ri rua is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2020, 23:12   #531
Heighway61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ri rua View Post
The trick with Pini Kay style briquettes is to open the damper and let them really combust then,when they're burning, close it down and they will glow. They're still solid when poked when they look burnt, whereas a compressed log that is not extruded like Pini Kay process will disintegrate when you poke at it and very often start to burn badly. The compressed ones WILL expand, thus they need careful watching in either an open fire or against glass. Rocket Blaze do not expand.
I would be surprised if you got through a whole pack in a good (room heater) stove on a long evening from say 5 til 12am. So that's 3 months (96 packs) fires for yes a pricey 399. Obviously in an open fire or a boiler stove they'll go a bit quicker.
If you buy some nice logs now, you can have them drying between now and Christmas and, when out in with the wood briquettes, along with a few coal nuggets, you may never want to leave your house again
Having second thoughts now. I've two stoves, one in sitting room (small size stove) one in living room/kitchen (medium size). Both will be going for the evening. Sitting room stove needs servicing or replacing, it's not closing off properly.
Heighway61 is offline  
27-10-2020, 07:17   #532
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,030
I am a newbie in firewoods and thinking to order :

Sample bundle is made of 2 packs, ~ 20 kg (20 euros)

Would this be enough for 3 months if I light fire once a week?

Also, apart from Ash firewood + rocket blaze + fire lighter. Do I need anything else?

Will be lighting up the stove for the first time in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFVII View Post
https://www.ecologs.ie/shop/eco-logs...ood-briquettes

Rocket blaze is out there price wise no?
masterboy123 is offline  
27-10-2020, 11:10   #533
Blanco100
Registered User
 
Blanco100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterboy123 View Post
I am a newbie in firewoods and thinking to order :

Sample bundle is made of 2 packs, ~ 20 kg (20 euros)

Would this be enough for 3 months if I light fire once a week?

Also, apart from Ash firewood + rocket blaze + fire lighter. Do I need anything else?

Will be lighting up the stove for the first time in life.
Is this a good deal?

https://lawlessfuel.ie/product/574/
Blanco100 is offline  
27-10-2020, 11:11   #534
An Ri rua
Registered User
 
An Ri rua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterboy123 View Post
I am a newbie in firewoods and thinking to order :

Sample bundle is made of 2 packs, ~ 20 kg (20 euros)

Would this be enough for 3 months if I light fire once a week?

Also, apart from Ash firewood + rocket blaze + fire lighter. Do I need anything else?

Will be lighting up the stove for the first time in life.
You're not thinking this through at all. That's 12 fires started over 3 months. You'll have enough for 2 sessions. €20 is a 35-40kg bag of coal nuggets. Spare that and you 'might' get 5 fires.
An Ri rua is offline  
Advertisement
27-10-2020, 12:27   #535
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,030
There will be 24 rocket blaze woods in 2 sample packs.

Do I need more than 1 rocket blaze on each occasion to light up the stove?

I was thinking to use 1 rocket blaze to get the fire going on and then throw in the Ash woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ri rua View Post
You're not thinking this through at all. That's 12 fires started over 3 months. You'll have enough for 2 sessions. €20 is a 35-40kg bag of coal nuggets. Spare that and you 'might' get 5 fires.
masterboy123 is offline  
27-10-2020, 12:29   #536
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,030
Looks pretty good deal to me (as long as its genuine ad).

@Muahahaha can help you on this. I am learning from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco100 View Post
masterboy123 is offline  
27-10-2020, 17:54   #537
Muahahaha
Registered User
 
Muahahaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco100 View Post
If delivery is included then yes 1m3 of ash for 190 euro is a good price. How many fires would you burn on average a week though? If burning 2 wood only fires a week in a stove 1m3 should get you to around Paddys day but if burning 3 or 4 a week you would need more than 1m3 to last the winter.
Muahahaha is offline  
Thanks from:
27-10-2020, 18:35   #538
k123456
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
If delivery is included then yes 1m3 of ash for 190 euro is a good price. How many fires would you burn on average a week though? If burning 2 wood only fires a week in a stove 1m3 should get you to around Paddys day but if burning 3 or 4 a week you would need more than 1m3 to last the winter.
The advantage of the crate above is you have a ready made wood store
You would need to make "roof" which overhangs the four sides by about eight inches. A sheet of an attractive ply would suffice. Over time the ply will delaminate , so a better approach is , battens , ply and mineral felt. Like a shed roof.

To make a permanent wood store , use pressure treated wood, , perhaps face off with shiplap
Roof as above

If made properly , and if logs sacked neatly, a wood store can be attractive, and nice way to conceal an ugly block wall, and an addition to a garden

My roof overhang is about 5 inches, and I stack wet fresh wood. Depending on log split size, will be dry in 12 months
k123456 is offline  
27-10-2020, 19:49   #539
Heighway61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 903
Looking like a pallet (96 bales) of rocket blaze won't be enough for my two stoves over the winter. Could I thin them out with something, not coal?
Heighway61 is offline  
27-10-2020, 19:53   #540
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,030
I would be grateful if you can advice what other items are needed to use stove. I am going to order Ash Wood, 1m3. What material would be best to light this kind of wood? Apart from lighter do I need any other tools? Such as wood cutting tool or are the woods are sold in small sizes that it can go straight to the stove?

Any other tips will be highly appreciated.

Have a great evening and thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
If delivery is included then yes 1m3 of ash for 190 euro is a good price. How many fires would you burn on average a week though? If burning 2 wood only fires a week in a stove 1m3 should get you to around Paddys day but if burning 3 or 4 a week you would need more than 1m3 to last the winter.
masterboy123 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet