Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 on sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Hi,

query on this, why is the US version no good?
    Is it purely because 4g won't work? or is there something else I should know before purchasing?

Thanks

If using LTE in Ireland in the short term is important to you then you should avoid a US model.

I can't see LTE living up to it's potential in Ireland or being readily available / affordable for a few years yet so I wouldn't have any issues with a US model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭SickBoy

any idea who replaces the screens or where I can get one? Slipped out of my hand after having it for a week and screen cracked!

My worst nightmare.
    I hate putting phones into cases but my current phone(S3) case is very tidy as it's based on a replacement back cover so doesn't add much bulk to the device.
    I don't want to put the Nexus into a case when I get it but I don't want it to get damaged from a fall either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

any idea who replaces the screens or where I can get one? Slipped out of my hand after having it for a week and screen cracked!

Could be a costly one as I think the glass is fused to the LCD and all has to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

jameshayes wrote: »
    thats like saying - screw that Ferrari, I'm going out and buying a Peugeot 206!

Moto G is very undervalued device. Hardware wise they are not that different. Especially for most users and usage scenarios. Nexus is LG, Motorola is Motorola. Don't compare them as if they were from different planet. They are not. You get much more bang for your buck from Moto G than Nexus. Fact.
    I can buy one for me and other for my wife for price of Nexus and spend the saved money on a weekend trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Moto G is very undervalued device. Hardware wise they are not that different. Especially for most users and usage scenarios. Nexus is LG, Motorola is Motorola. Don't compare them as if they were from different planet. They are not. You get much more bang for your buck from Moto G than Nexus. Fact.
    I can buy one for me and other for my wife for price of Nexus and spend the saved money on a weekend trip.

Any good deals on moto g?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

any good deals on weekend trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

paddyp wrote: »
    Any good deals on moto g?

Amazon sells it for 160 8GB and 200 for 16GB. Since i don't use my phone for music and other large files (Dropbox Inc.) even half that would be fine. Already placed an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Hardware wise they're night and day. The nexus 5 is 3 times as powerful as the moto g. Then there's the better camera, larger memory, better screen etc. The moto g is an absolute bargain at €160/200, but it's not comparable to a nexus 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

http://www.spareslg.com/lcd-e-touch-lg-nexus-5-lg-d820-black-acq86661402.html

Used this crowd for my Nexus 4 screen, could be a bit more expensive once VAT and shipping is added.

Fonemenders also offered a reasonable quote for my 4, they just didn't have the screen in stock so could be worth giving them a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Thread is about nexus 5. Please Start another thread if you want to talk about a budget phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

You can pre order white nexus 5 16gb on amazon.de for €399.They only delivering in Uk so you have to use PM http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00GJO57WM/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=ce-de

or buy from amazon.es with black colour for 379e and they will deliver to Ireland http://www.amazon.es/Google-Nexus-Smartphone-pantalla-Quad-Core/dp/B00GINX4VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384644688&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+5

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

did anyone actually get a nexus 5 from CPW up north? - they only seem to be offering them on bill now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

mjquinno wrote: »
    did anyone actually get a nexus 5 from CPW up north? - they only seem to be offering them on bill now...

I was in London last weekend and CPW there said they didn't have any sim free left. Bill pay only....

Might try and ring the newry store and see if they have it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yeah they only seem to be doing them on Bill Pay now not PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

They had them in stock simfree in Glasgow yesterday.
    Price : 429£

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

twinsen wrote: »

Eeek- someone is doing serious price gouging.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

twinsen wrote: »

On Amazon for £329 (16GB) - Roughly €393 and free delivery.
    Raging i didn't see this thread earlier.

Now with KitKat officially out, That'll probably be the lowest for a while. Thinking of getting it.... My decision is heavily relying on wages next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Tango One

Tried to order direct from google but got a error message probably due to using parcel motel as my billing address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Lost patience trying to order a nexus 5 so sold my nexus 4 and bought myself that LG G2, managed to get it for 450 on Amazon, similar to the nexus but better in almost every way, granted you don't get stock android, but stock android is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willynt

Nexus5 16GB now available on CPW uk for £298.
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/GOOGLE_NEXUS_5/HANDSET
    I tried to order one, delivered to ParcelMotel, but order rejected because my card is not uk :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

willynt wrote: »
    Nexus5 16GB now available on CPW uk for £298.
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/GOOGLE_NEXUS_5/HANDSET
    I tried to order one, delivered to ParcelMotel, but order rejected because my card is not uk :(

I think visa slips through the net whereas mastercard doesn't. Which card did you use?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    I think visa slips through the net whereas mastercard doesn't. Which card did you use?

I used a Visa Credit. Obviously didn't slip through the net.
    I rang them, they said they have to enter a UK post code in their system so payment can be verified against address linked to the card.
    They do not accept bank transfer as alternative payment option :(

As far as I can tell, the only option is to temporary change your card address to be ParcelMotel address, assuming your bank allows you to do that...

sugarman wrote: »
    They only deliver to the UK mainland anyway

I ordered and used parcel motel no problem. On my credit card I used my own address but changed country to UK

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

First I tried to use my address and wasn't accepted, but second time I left the Parcel Motel address for my visa and it got accepted.

Thx m4r10 and TangoOne.
    Where did you enter your card address? On the CPW web site at checkout?
    I do not remember having to specify my card address :(

Did you use visa debit or credit?

Thx!

willynt wrote: »
    Thx m4r10 and TangoOne.
    Where did you enter your card address? On the CPW web site at checkout?
    I do not remember having to specify my card address :(

Did you use visa debit or credit?

Thx!
    I'm struggling to remember exactly how I did it now. Maybe I did just use the parcel motel address, but it was a visa debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just in case it's not been said already: You can buy them SIM free or contract on Three mobile now.

Nexus 5 on Three mobile (note: 16 GB)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

god's toy wrote: »
    Just in case it's not been said already: You can buy them SIM free or contract on Three mobile now.

Nexus 5 on Three mobile (note: 16 GB)

Sim only or sim free?

Are they network locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

quad_red wrote: »
    Sim only or sim free?

Are they network locked?

Both from what I've been told but cant confirm as I don't know anyone whos got one from there yet. Also, don't think they would SIM lock a Nexus phone all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Three mobile are rather more expensive (not as bad as Argos Ireland).

The 16 GB model is available on Amazon UK for GBP 320 including shipping.
    3rd part seller but fulfilled by Amazon UK.

Advertisement