Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 on sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Zascar wrote: »
    Any idea if O2 etc will have this soon? Why does the UK get it and we can't??

I'd be interested to know this myself; any reason why Google has closed off an entire market for their product(s)?

Has to be carrier induced? Strange to see a behometh like Google be bullied if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No in fact its because it is Google subsidised. They don't make profit from the handset (hence why it is half the price of some similar spec phones). Instead they make money from selling content on Google Play store. Rights have to be cleared in each country individually, so obviously the will go for the bigger ones first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

bromley52 wrote: »
    For anyone interested CPW uk and the UK Google store are selling the Nexus 5. CPW is £15 cheaper if you can buy from them.

mod edit:

Carphone Warehouse link - £295 (16gb only)
    NOTE: seems they will only ship to mainland UK

Anyone looking to buy through the UK playstore could try these steps

The price has changed on the carphonewarehouse site to £429

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062724/google-nexus-5-review - after this review I might just stick with my HTC One...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pokeraladin

Nice mark up for carphonee warehouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Zascar wrote: »
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062724/google-nexus-5-review - after this review I might just stick with my HTC One...
    That review is a positive one. Shows the phone in the exact light I'd expect it to perform in, which is to say excellent.
    But no one should consider changing a Galaxy S4 or HTC One for one of them, that'd be madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    That review is a positive one. Shows the phone in the exact light I'd expect it to perform in, which is to say excellent.
    But no one should consider changing a Galaxy S4 or HTC One for one of them, that'd be madness.
    Yeah, i didnt think it was the worst. It says that it's good, but not great.

I'll resist the urge to splash out and I think I'll stick to my S3, only problem with it is the battery, but I'm ordering an increased capacity battery for it.

Yeah, i didnt think it was the worst. It says that it's good, but not great.

I'll resist the urge to splash out and I think I'll stick to my S3, only problem with it is the battery, but I'm ordering an increased capacity battery for it.
    It says it's great except for the camera, but I don't care about the camera because I have a point-and-shoot that's far better than any phone camera and an SLR for more serious stuff! Coupled with the fact that it's about half the price of the main rivals (if you don't want to be tied to a network) and is more powerful then that's why it's so popular. However I don't think Google would expect HTC One or S4 owners to sell up, I'd say they're planning on getting potential HTC One and S4 owners to go their route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

how is this a bargain?
    its 349 on google (germany) in euro, so the UK price is dearer.

if its not available in Ireland then its damn bloody ironic seeing as its billed to google hq on barrow st!!
    I had to buy one for a lad whose wife worked in google, yet couldnt get a poxy up-to-date google phone. Near fell on the floor with laughter when I saw who was "selling" it to me!!! EDIT: same office as yer one actually worked at!!

but the real problem is that the phones never actually see Ireland, only the cash does, on its way to the bahamas to another shell company that google (saviours of the world and all round good guys) have there as the end destination for their untaxed european incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Google Play UK still has it for 299£ + 9.99£ postage. Its very dear now.

• Advertisement

free_man wrote: »
    Google Play UK still has it for 299£ + 9.99£ postage. Its very dear now.

????

What is very dear? The postage?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

bromley52 wrote: »
    For anyone interested CPW uk and the UK Google store are selling the Nexus 5. CPW is £15 cheaper if you can buy from them.

mod edit:

Carphone Warehouse link - £295 (16gb only)
    NOTE: seems they will only ship to mainland UK

Seems that sim free handsets are OOS now, just white contract phones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

The overall cost is dear.

308.99£ equates to 495$ and that for 16GB.
    In US 16Gb one is going for 359$ + Tax which will bring it closer to 400$. So UK is abt 100$ dearer.

I call that dear.

In US 16Gb one is going for 359$ + Tax which will bring it closer to 400$. So UK is abt 100$ dearer.

I call that dear.
    Compared to the competition, I'd call it cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I call that dear.

Its still cheap for what it is and the US model is of no use here as the LTE bands are different.

Got a 32gb white from the UK play store which worked out at 423 delivered including parcel motel and currency conversion. If I was to buy a new unlocked version of its peers I'd be looking at 200 on top of that. There's very little between this and my HTC One, certainly less than 200 euro anyway. Maybe an extra 10% battery at the end of the day tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Its still cheap for what it is and the US model is of no use here as the LTE bands are different.

Got a 32gb white from the UK play store which worked out at 423 delivered including parcel motel and currency conversion. If I was to buy a new unlocked version of its peers I'd be looking at 200 on top of that. There's very little between this and my HTC One, certainly less than 200 euro anyway. Maybe an extra 10% battery at the end of the day tops.

Hi,

query on this, why is the US version no good?
    Is it purely because 4g won't work? or is there something else I should know before purchasing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Hi,

query on this, why is the US version no good?
    Is it purely because 4g won't work? or is there something else I should know before purchasing?

Thanks

4g would be the main part. Now it might not matter to some, and it is only beginning it's roll out. As slow as the networks here usually are if you're living in a major centre you're going to miss the boat. And if you sell your devices on afterwards the US versions will be ones to avoid.

I'd also wonder what the story would be with warranty claims if you needed to make one. Could be a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

4g would be the main part. Now it might not matter to some, and it is only beginning it's roll out. As slow as the networks here usually are if you're living in a major centre you're going to miss the boat. And if you sell your devices on afterwards the US versions will be ones to avoid.

I'd also wonder what the story would be with warranty claims if you needed to make one. Could be a right pain.

Just to clarify this one. There are 2 versions of the Nexus 5, the LG D820 and LG D821. 280 is meant for the US and 281 is meant for Europe. There are slight differences to the bands that they support.

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/11/06/googles-nexus-5-a-closer-look-at-global-coverage-and-network-support/

I'm not exactly sure what bands the various Irish networks use, but there are differences.

As for warranty service,my Nexus 4 from the US broke and it's a bit of a pain, Google won't ship a replacement device to an address outside the US so you'd need to get it forwarded somehow. You can return the faulty phone directly to Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

So whats the latest on this?
    Where are the majority of people purchasing it?

It can be bought through google play and Carphone warehouse,

Where is the cheaper?

youngblood wrote: »
    So whats the latest on this?
    Where are the majority of people purchasing it?

I got mine from the play store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

What is the fail safe way to order one of these bad boys.
    I have tried twice with parcel motel and a vpn but my order got rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Calico101

Thinking about ordering one of these, but I am concerned about reports on the battery life. Has this been a problem for anyone who has one already?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

Screw Nexus 5, I'm ordering myself Motorola Moto G from Amazon. For those who are not storage oriented 8 GB version for around €160 SIM free. Now that's a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Don't know why google is so against putting a little micro sd on their phones (nexus or moto)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Screw Nexus 5, I'm ordering myself Motorola Moto G from Amazon. For those who are not storage oriented 8 GB version for around €160 SIM free. Now that's a good deal.

thats like saying - screw that Ferrari, I'm going out and buying a Peugeot 206!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Don't know why google is so against putting a little micro sd on their phones (nexus or moto)

You can't figure out why a company which is building a business model heavily based on cloud computing would want to discourage device storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

any idea who replaces the screens or where I can get one? Slipped out of my hand after having it for a week and screen cracked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

You can't figure out why a company which is building a business model heavily based on cloud computing would want to discourage device storage?

I'd say we are about a year away from when they start cracking down on rooting the phones. They make their money from you using google services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They won't, at the moment it's pretty much open source. If they stop people rooting and upgrading android on phones that are no longer supported it means that they're going to exclude a pretty big user base from any further cloud based applications and updates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

on its way to the bahamas to another shell company that google (saviours of the world and all round good guys) have there as the end destination for their untaxed european incomes.

Poland as a first stop-off, apparently.......

Advertisement