Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cadetship 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

DeclanSn wrote: »
    Ye true, FTE have upped there price since the last group were sent in.

I doubt EI payed list price for the last class anyways, between the fact that they were giving them 20 students in bulk, but also the publicity of being able to say "Aer Lingus send their pilots here", they probably would have made an offer to teach them. I'm sure it's put out to tender each time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's still a brilliant offer

Shame I don't qualify yet and it might not be around when I do.

It doesn't ask for third level does it? The "Apply Now" button is giving me a redirect loop.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    That's still a brilliant offer

Shame I don't qualify yet and it might not be around when I do.

It doesn't ask for third level does it? The "Apply Now" button is giving me a redirect loop.
    It says having a 3rd level qualification or currently studying for one is an advantage IIRC.

Is anyone able to get into it? I've been locked out since 11 this morning... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Calm Observer

It says having a 3rd level qualification or currently studying for one is an advantage IIRC.

Is anyone able to get into it? I've been locked out since 11 this morning... :rolleyes:

Nope haven't been able to get on to it since last night :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

DeclanSn wrote: »
    Any idea the closing date?? Been waiting 2 years for this to come around.

Welcome to the club. It's a very large, very determined and sometimes overly passionate club. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 antonov225

Hmm, this again.

Edit: Air Corps too btw

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BrakePad

I submitted my completed application last night.

There was no box to tick to confirm you have the required maths grade and 2 higher Cs was there? They stated it as a requirement but never actually asked you to confirm by "yes/no" or state the results you got? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Application form is available again, according to the Aer Lingus facebook page, high loads on the server caused it to crash.

Was just able to log in right now

Here are the requirements in case it crashes again:
    Essential criteria:
    You must be 17 years of age on or before the 1st January 2013
    You must be fluent in English, both spoken and written
    You must be eligible to live and work permanently in the EU and possess an unrestricted worldwide passport.

You must be able to pass a full security and background check.

You must be able to obtain a JAA Class 1 Medical, including successfully passing a colour blindness test. (Candidates may be requested to provide proof of this at interview.)

You must be willing to partially fund the Cadet Pilot Training Programme.

Educational criteria:
    You must hold a Leaving Certificate or equivalent or be completing the Leaving Certificate in 2013
    If you have completed the Leaving Certificate, please attach your results
    If you have completed a 3rd level qualification, please attach your results
    You will require a minimum of 6 subjects;

English and Mathematics minimum grade C in ordinary level
    Plus
    2 Higher level subjects, minimum grade C

Desirable Criteria:
    Candidates holding or currently studying for a 3rd level qualification.

https://aerlingus.recruitment.northgatearinso.com/lgrl/pages/vacancy.jsf;jsessionid=EBD70C97A60706AF7751EF82150D4E40?latest=0

I have to say it's quite attractive, I think a few cadetships I came across required you to be 18 to enter, at which point some students would be halfway through first year in college..not that there's too much hope for fresh 17 year olds.

Also it asks for a C in Maths and English, only Ordinary and it asks you to attach your results.

• Advertisement

Here are the requirements in case it crashes again:

https://aerlingus.recruitment.northgatearinso.com/lgrl/pages/vacancy.jsf;jsessionid=EBD70C97A60706AF7751EF82150D4E40?latest=0

I have to say it's quite attractive, I think a few cadetships I came across required you to be 18 to enter, at which point some students would be halfway through first year in college..not that there's too much hope for fresh 17 year olds.

Also it asks for a C in Maths and English, only Ordinary and it asks you to attach your results.

Is a PPL and a heap of hours plus fully completed ATPL theory regarded and a 3rd level qualification per say?

BrakePad wrote: »
    Is a PPL and a heap of hours plus fully completed ATPL theory regarded and a 3rd level qualification per say?

Doesn't that make you disqualified?

Doesn't that make you disqualified?

There were a couple of last year's crop that almost had CPLs when they were selected.

The guy at the FLYER Exhibition said he was training for his CPL in Atlantic when he was taken on.

The Application form for the cadetship asks if you did any ATPL exams and asks for results.

Last year's rule seemed to be if you had not been issued a CPL you were still in the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

I'm aware that there's some speculation going on as to the 'Education details' section, but is there a possibility they might want us to fill in our separate LC results, for each subject separately, into several different 'Education details'?

optimus125 wrote: »
    I'm aware that there's some speculation going on as to the 'Education details' section, but is there a possibility they might want us to fill in our separate LC results, for each subject separately, into several different 'Education details'?

I attached a scan of my leaving certificate along with my CV, so that should tick that box if it comes down to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

I would say that is exactly what they want you to do. Hence the reason the option is "Subject/Qualification". Just writing down down LC and the points you got is not what they are asking for in my opinion...could be wrong though. Lets hope they dont shortlist people by how good they understand the application form :P

happy_head wrote: »
    I would say that is exactly what they want you to do. Hence the reason the option is "Subject/Qualification". Just writing down down LC and the points you got is not what they are asking for in my opinion...could be wrong though. Lets hope they dont shortlist people by how good they understand the application form :P

Seems odd thought that they'd make you write out your school/college 7-12 times, for each subject. And that they ask the date like that. IIRC the last cadetship process gave specific slots for you to put your subjects and results into...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

My LC results are in my CV. I just put down Leaving Certificate, dates etc... I seriously doubt they want you to write down the institution, dates, qualification type for every single subject.

I'd imagine when it says "subject/ qualification title" it's referring to something like 'BA in Business Studies' which is your area of study and qualification.

Either way I wouldn't worry too much. People will ALWAYS interpret an application form differently. As long as your results are there somewhere, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

Seems odd thought that they'd make you write out your school/college 7-12 times, for each subject. And that they ask the date like that. IIRC the last cadetship process gave specific slots for you to put your subjects and results into...

Yeah possibly, the date thing is a bit funny alright. Either way once you slip the results in somewhere it should be ok.

happy_head wrote: »
    Yeah possibly, the date thing is a bit funny alright. Either way once you slip the results in somewhere it should be ok.
    Yeh, I feel confident enough just giving them a scan of the certificate. If they wanted it in each field so that a computer could have read it in, they would have made special fields for it I think. Just put them in somewhere seems to make the most sense. :)

• Advertisement

Yeh, I think I'm just going to fill in Leaving Certificate, without any mention of results in the education details section, and then will just include the actualy results in my CV. Overall it seems to be a fairly poorly organised application... Would it have killed them to read/think it through a couple of times?

I interpreted that section as college results, degrees, masters etc? That would make more sense with the institution and dates bit?

Very nerve wracking actually clicking 'Submit Application'. Spent about 40 mins double checking everything for spelling errors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

BrakePad wrote: »

I'm in the same boat as you, seen as they only give 3 places to enter any ATPL exams you did, do we just choose our best 3 out of the 14 exams?

Very nerve wracking actually clicking 'Submit Application'. Spent about 40 mins double checking everything for spelling errors!

Same here... :confused::o

What are people's thoughts on the lower age limit? 17 by/on the 1st of January 2013. Very young? Or justifiable? I mean, they've got it there for a reason... They're not going to want any extra applications if they're never going to give them any real consideration in the first place!

What are people's thoughts on the lower age limit? 17 by/on the 1st of January 2013. Very young? Or justifiable? I mean, they've got it there for a reason... They're not going to want any extra applications if they're never going to give them any real consideration in the first place!

AFAIK 17 is the age you have to be to hold a pilots license, so they're keeping their options open.

Maybe they're thinking that might be a few outstanding candidates at that age and it would be a shame for them to miss the opportunity of getting them now before they possibly enter university etc?

Maybe they're thinking that might be a few outstanding candidates at that age and it would be a shame for them to miss the opportunity of getting them now before they possibly enter university etc?

Yeah that's probably what they're thinking, and plus they'd get a good long shelf life out of them. But what about students sitting the LC this June? The people processing the applications won't have any real way to judge their abilities and potential? Let alone their maths and physics proficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

A post on their f@cebook page suggests they want young blood:

'By the time your friends are landing their first job, you could be landing your first jet'.

Says it all really...

Advertisement