Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cadetship 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BrakePad

Bsal wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, seen as they only give 3 places to enter any ATPL exams you did, do we just choose our best 3 out of the 14 exams?

I just put a note that I'd passed them all in the first slot and then entered all the results in the details of flight experience section.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Leave us teenage entrants alone :)

Not entering this year but I'd feel guilty if I actually got it next year considering how most of yous here are better candidates than me.
    optimus125 wrote: »
    Yeah that's probably what they're thinking, and plus they'd get a good long shelf life out of them. But what about students sitting the LC this June? The people processing the applications won't have any real way to judge their abilities and potential? Let alone their maths and physics proficiency.

Well they say you must be finished or finishing your LC this year. The applications close at the end of May and the LC results will be out 2 months later. I'd imagine if their grades aren't good enough then, they'll be out of it.

The way these things work is pretty simple. The yes/no or drop down questions you answer in the application are the ones that will dictate whether or not you get a psychometric test sent to you. Sadly if you do not answer all the questions the way they want your application is deleted almost immediately! :(
    These are likely to be criminal record, willing to pay some of the costs or DOB related etc. If you answer them all correctly from EI's point of view you will be sent out a test when they are sent. When the tests are back they are paired electronically to your application by a computer program. Then if they want say 2000 people to the next phase they take the top 2000 test scores and call them to the group interviews. They may refer a bit to the info you give in the short one on one interview at the group day. Those who score well in the groups are brought back obviously to the panel interview and this is the first time that they will take an in depth look at the details of your application.
    EI are not reading every application, they set broad criteria that a computer can easily compare applications to and cut the numbers down like that. Chances are if there is anything that is not clear in the application and you have any chance of being picked on your skills etc etc you will be there to explain them to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ExtaticFob

Hi All,

Thanks for all the information so far. Has anyone heard how many places will be available and what the eyesight requirement is? Will anyone here be applying for the Defence Forces Air Corps Cadetship this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

ExtaticFob wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the information so far. Has anyone heard how many places will be available and what the eyesight requirement is? Will anyone here be applying for the Defence Forces Air Corps Cadetship this year?

All EASA class 1 requirements are here: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pageid=527

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

phonypony wrote: »
    A post on their f@cebook page suggests they want young blood:

'By the time your friends are landing their first job, you could be landing your first jet'.

Says it all really...

Hope your not suggesting that older people should not bother applying based on this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Does anyone know the age profile of the last cadet group, I wouldn't say there's no point in older people applying, but I would say they'd have to make a pretty good impression. I'd say being a couple of years younger could be an advantage in this, but again, older candidates bring experience to the table, the value placed on this experience has yet to be seen. If you're not in you can't win though, no point not at least entering...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

I heard the average age was about 26/27 last time. So not exactly school leavers. I was under the impression that the extra life experience was actually a big plus whilst at the same time not being too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Contrails wrote: »
    I heard the average age was about 26/27 last time. So not exactly school leavers. I was under the impression that the extra life experience was actually a big plus whilst at the same time not being too old.

Looking at the photo on the cadet page I'd put most of them in the 23-27 bracket. Could be wrong though, suits can add a year or two to some people's looks...

I asked at the FLYER exhibition and he said the average age was 26. It should be remembered that given the economy a lot of people do postgrad stuff in college so is is very possible to graduate and look for "your first job" at 26! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paulmcgrath

Contrails wrote: »

a mate of mine was 23.

First year out from a BEng.

While I wince personally at being the one to start this. I know a Captain in Aer Lingus(well he's a friend of a relative). I mentioned I had applied for the cadetship and we had a chat. I mentioned the "are you related to current EI staff" question. He was of the opinion that they want to move away a little from the dynasty image this year. I also asked in jest about the whole "transgender/gay/traveler" question section and he lead me to believe that there may have been a little bit of flack leveled at them last year by a late stage applicant. It certainly may explain why that bizarre line of inquiry was added.

Given I have flight experience as I stated before I asked did he know anything about the last crop in that respect. It seems that some were fresh with no time but a few had 150+ total hours and even 100+ P1 time on application. One may even have had a MEIR but no CPL, however he was not sure of that.

Obviously take that with a pinch of salt and all that but personally it matches what I had heard a little in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

When was the last time Aer Lingus did a cadet program like this? I do not meet the requirements this year, hopefully this will come around again in 2 - 5 years time? :confused:

If only they started this program next year, then I'd be grand :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

phonypony wrote: »
    A post on their f@cebook page suggests they want young blood:

'By the time your friends are landing their first job, you could be landing your first jet'.

Says it all really...

They've been using that tag line for at least 20 years, and in that time have recruited cadets from school leavers to people in their 30's with no flying at all, so I wouldn't read anything at all into it.
    As for those who haven't sat their LC yet, they will be left until the later stages when the exams are done and their results will be out, so it'll be clear weather they've made the required grade. (tbh, if you can't manage a C in pass English and Maths and a couple of honours, you might find the course very hard going. The LC requirements are very basic. The aptitude tests will weed out the many)

As for the gay/transgender/traveler etc questions, they are part of 'equal opportunities monitoring' and have nothing to do with your application per se.

Anyway, good luck to all of you who are applying. It's a great opportunity, so make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

Flier wrote: »
    As for those who haven't sat their LC yet, they will be left until the later stages when the exams are done and their results will be out, so it'll be clear weather they've made the required grade.

Just curious as to where you got this information?

Cheers

That's the way they've done it before, so I have no reason to assume they'll do it differently this time. The whole recruitment process takes many months to get through, so it make sense to leave those with incomplete applications (for want of a better phrase) 'til later. What they don't want to happen is to invest time into assessing candidates, who then don't qualify on their LC results.

Ah right ok, makes sense yeah!

Question for you, or anybody else who knows the procedure, what is the order of events with referees? Are they only contacted if applicants get to a certain stage? Or could they be contacted quite early? And will they be looking for the referees to write a reference, or is it more likely to be a phone call?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paulmcgrath

Ah right ok, makes sense yeah!

Question for you, or anybody else who knows the procedure, what is the order of events with referees? Are they only contacted if applicants get to a certain stage? Or could they be contacted quite early? And will they be looking for the referees to write a reference, or is it more likely to be a phone call?

In any walk of life references are generally contacted around the same time as when they are choosing the correct candidate. ie final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

I havent had a chance to apply just yet, intend doing so asap, however what I'm wondering is it the same application process / information which they required last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

ExtaticFob wrote: »
    Hi All,

dont quote me but i hear there are less than 30 places up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

james142 wrote: »
    When was the last time Aer Lingus did a cadet program like this? I do not meet the requirements this year, hopefully this will come around again in 2 - 5 years time? :confused:

If only they started this program next year, then I'd be grand :rolleyes:

They ran this last year as well. I think a batch of 20 were hired then. When the last one was launched it was hinted that EI would run is for 3-4 years. But that could easily change if the aviation sector encounters any difficulties.

For the LC 2013 students the process is the same as last year...I asked about this at the FLYER as I was considering resitting my LC because I was a sports star the first time around!:rolleyes:
    I asked if you could apply and not give LC results(as they were pending) I was told you could and that you would be treated as if you met the requirement and sent a psychometric test. If you met the grade on that test you would be advanced with the rest to phase 3. The LC results would be out before phase 4 and if you did not meet the LC grades then you would be eliminated.

I would imagine though if you cannot get Ordinary Level Cs in English and Maths you would struggle with enough aspects of the psychometric to mean you would not score high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ChicaneAuto

Any thoughts on the wisdom or relevance of putting a current cadet down as a reference? Basically, I am trying to avoid putting a past employer down because after a few years of a good relationship, I went into competition with him. On job applications I have previously put him down and stated at interview that I did it in good faith because I was a valued team member and left on good terms but to bare in mind that I left to go into competition so at best his reference would be indifferent! But all of this is a bit messy for something I'd rather not bring petty politics into.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Calm Observer

Any thoughts on the wisdom or relevance of putting a current cadet down as a reference? Basically, I am trying to avoid putting a past employer down because after a few years of a good relationship, I went into competition with him. On job applications I have previously put him down and stated at interview that I did it in good faith because I was a valued team member and left on good terms but to bare in mind that I left to go into competition so at best his reference would be indifferent! But all of this is a bit messy for something I'd rather not bring petty politics into.

To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea. I think it looks like you want them to know that you know someone. Especially if you are to believe other posts on this thread that say the company are trying to move away from that image. Surely you can find another personal reference? It's up to you though, there is a chance it could go in your favour, sure you never know!!

I think it very much depends on the person. If the 'cadet' in question is straight out of school and this is his/her first gig, and s/he knows you from down the park, what is the reference about?? If, on the other hand, s/he has had another career, with responsibility, and knows you in a more professional context, then maybe it is the right thing to do. Assuming of course, that the particular cadet has excelled during the course and pushed all the right buttons, and not pissed off any of the training team in EI.

Yeah, I suppose I should have mentioned that the cadet knows me through an organisation that I would have thought much of my leadership skills(if any!!) have been honed.

I guess it depends on the strength of the reference, Theres no point in putting it in purely because of the fact that he/she is a cadet.
    It would be like shameless "name dropping" as it were.

What are peoples take on the 'initials' box for the references? Are they really actually just looking for the referees initials!? Something seems odd about it to me...

What are peoples take on the 'initials' box for the references? Are they really actually just looking for the referees initials!? Something seems odd about it to me...

Odd how?

Odd how?

Not entirely sure... Just something about it... I mean, don't get me wrong, we all know what initials are, and I indeed filled them in as that, but why would they want that? Especially considering that the next two boxes you fill are their fore and surnames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 GulDog

Hi guys,

I applied to this the last time back in 2011 and only got as far as the psychometric testing. I was wondering does anyone know any good websites/books etc. to use in preparation for this test? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement