Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defection Dilemma - can't move on!

• 03-01-2011 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Not sure this is the right forum, but atheists seem to be the best informed on the whole defection process...! I'm really worried about this new situation where the Catholic Church has stopped issuing official defections to those who want them, because I really, really need some form of proof of having officially left Catholicism (which I thought I had plenty of time to complete...!!)
    My situation is that I'm converting to Judaism, and will require proof that I have left my former faith to do so successfully. What should I do?! Do you think a bishop could issue any kind of letter or...?! I feel like like I've been trapped :S

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have you done anything so far - like written to the PP of the parish you were baptised in? That would be a first step at least.

More info on the "suspension" here.

Optional question: Why are you converting to Judaism? The God of the Old Testament gets a lot of stick around here (hypothetically of course). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

I was thinking about ringing instead- post seems so painfully slooooow... Always thought I'd plenty of time to do this, and hey ho, suddenly I'm not allowed leave anymore!

And lol, I noticed...! :P I just really identify with the Jewish people, and also find the culture and traditions fascinating. Ever since the age of 9 I've been really interested, and since then I've learnt Hebrew, spent time working in Israel and whatnot. Just can't imagine life going any other way, basically

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sefirah wrote: »
    I really, really need some form of proof of having officially left Catholicism
    You are not permitted to "leave" catholicism, since some of the basic tenets of catholicism assert that once you're a catholic, you can never stop being one. If you ask a priest, he'll tell you that there's an "ontological bond" that means you can never leave.

The church can issue you with a document indicating that you no longer wish to be considered a member -- this is called an act of defection -- but that's a slightly different thing and that's what the countmeout website used to do up until the act of defection was abolished last year.

You can contact the archdiocese of Dublin (if that's where you live) and they have said that they'll record the fact that you want to leave the church, but that's as good as you're going to get -- they won't let you defect, and they won't let you leave.
    My situation is that I'm converting to Judaism
    Have you checked the exit conditions on this before you join up? Far as I remember, in terms of life membership, most strands of judaism won't let you leave either (though I could be wrong, please correct me if so).
    I feel like like I've been trapped
    That's religion for you.

Lol, I'll be pretty happy if they make me Jewish for life- after 3 years of living in an Orthodox community and studying with a Rabbi, I'd hope they would give me that much!!

Even just to say I'm not a member would be sufficient- I just need a letter or documentation of some sort to say that I've at least done my best to disassociate myself from them as much as I possibly can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Get yourself excommunicated :)

I suggest kicking a bishop up the arse as follows:

1148443.jpg

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for injuries or legal issues that may arise as a result of you kicking someone in the arse

• Advertisement

The only catch is: What if he enjoys it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

robindch

I really, really need some form of proof of having officially left Catholicism
    You are not permitted to "leave" catholicism, since some of the basic tenets of catholicism assert that once you're a catholic, you can never stop being one. If you ask a priest, he'll tell you that there's an "ontological bond" that means you can never leave.

I thought denying the holy spirit resulted in excommunication? Or is that just from god not from his church?
    Sefirah
    Ever since the age of 9 I've been really interested, and since then I've learnt Hebrew, spent time working in Israel and whatnot. Just can't imagine life going any other way, basically
    Sorry this is of no particular relevance but as an adult does a Rabbi do the circumcision or do you have to go to a hospital and such?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

cavedave wrote: »
    Sorry this is of no particular relevance but as an adult does a Rabbi do the circumcision or do you have to go to a hospital and such?

Reminds me of a particular nasty case a few years ago. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

My situation is that I'm converting to Judaism, and will require proof that I have left my former faith to do so successfully. What should I do?! Do you think a bishop could issue any kind of letter or...?! I feel like like I've been trapped :S
    Difficult situation. Interestingly, one of the ways to get ex-communicated is, I believe, to show you have changed to another religion. How hung up on proof of defection is the Rabbi? Can you not explain that they do not do them any more and you can show them proof once you have changed?

MrP

I thought denying the holy spirit resulted in excommunication? Or is that just from god not from his church?
    Excommunication just means that you're suspended temporarily from the club of believers, not that you're either permanently thrown out from the club, or that you stop being a catholic (though you would be an "unchurched" one who is not permitted to receive any "sacraments").
    as an adult does a Rabbi do the circumcision or do you have to go to a hospital and such?
    sick_0.gif

• Advertisement

And lol, I noticed...! :P I just really identify with the Jewish people, and also find the culture and traditions fascinating. Ever since the age of 9 I've been really interested, and since then I've learnt Hebrew, spent time working in Israel and whatnot. Just can't imagine life going any other way, basically
    That all sounds very happy families, but do you believe it all to be true (and everything else false)?

Since I'm a chick, I'd hazard a guess that this doesn't apply to me...!!
    MrPudding wrote: »
    Difficult situation. Interestingly, one of the ways to get ex-communicated is, I believe, to show you have changed to another religion. How hung up on proof of defection is the Rabbi? Can you not explain that they do not do them any more and you can show them proof once you have changed?
    He's a reasonable guy and I'm sure if I explain that I can't get full separation from the church because they won't let me, he'll understand. However, for full Israeli citizenship WITH the benefits of being a Jewish immigrant, I'll most definitely need to show I'm not Catholic and 100% Jewish. At that stage I'll have been converted for a year, so I guess I could prove my conversion to the church at that stage...
    robindch wrote: »
    Excommunication just means that you're suspended temporarily from the club of believers, not that you're either permanently thrown out from the club, or that you stop being a catholic (though you would be an "unchurched" one who is not permitted to receive any "sacraments").sick_0.gif
    FFS there's no winning, is there?
    Dades wrote: »
    That all sounds very happy families, but do you believe it all to be true (and everything else false)?
    I believe that it's right for me, makes my life happier and more fulfilling, and while I by no means take the bible literally and don't necessarily agree with every single tenant, at the end of the day... who cares? A big part of life is finding where you belong and what makes you a happier person, and for me that's being Jewish. It's a nation where I feel a strong sense of belonging, and in many ways they've become like a surrogate family to me. I enjoy the holidays, services and traditions and have a much stronger connection and sense of place in the Jewish community than I ever did in Catholic circles.

Nope, religion will win 100% of the time. That's what religion has evolved to do.

People and their fleeting emotions, thoughts and lives are nothing more than the social hardware that religious software uses to run itself.

Understand that before you sign on the next dotted line.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Dave! wrote: »
    Get yourself excommunicated :)

I suggest kicking a bishop up the arse as follows:

1148443.jpg

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for injuries or legal issues that may arise as a result of you kicking someone in the arse

I realize that +1 posts are not allowed, but I think you should know that I spat up my beer all over my laptop in a fit of laughter at that post .... Thanks Dave .. you made my day and ruined my semester !

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I realize that +1 posts are not allowed, but I think you should know that I spat up my beer all over my laptop in a fit of laughter at that post .... Thanks Dave .. you made my day and ruined my semester !
    Good to know I'm having an impact on the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

However, for full Israeli citizenship WITH the benefits of being a Jewish immigrant, I'll most definitely need to show I'm not Catholic and 100% Jewish. At that stage I'll have been converted for a year, so I guess I could prove my conversion to the church at that stage...

Ah, so this is under the Law of Return I guess? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Return
    I imagine that the Palestinians would share that sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If they won't let you leave try getting excommunicated? But now that I think on this, you remain a Catholic too, just denied mass and the sacraments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sorry OP, but I created my own Church that everyone who's ever been born is a member of. No-one's allowed leave. Ever. So now you have two pointless organisations claiming you as a member that you "have" to disassociate yourself from. Tell your Rabbi that and he'll understand why any 'proof' you've left is meaningless

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

PDN wrote: »

Religion eh? What a crock of $hite it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I would have thought your Rabbi would have been able to answer that question as I'd imagine its something he would encounter a lot with regards to weddings and the like.

• Advertisement

Ah, so this is under the Law of Return I guess? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Return
    Yes, it's one of the rights one gets.

In fairness, for the whole time I was working in Israel, my circle of friends contained Jews and Arabs alike- the Irish just like to see things very black and white. Arabs can win, and I've known many Arabs to be friends with Jews there, they just (both) need to put their political agendas aside. I can't speak on behalf of their political situation because I don't agree with everything that's done on either side. I'm not going there to subjugate or oppress anyone or because I'm a crazy Kananist freak- it's just much easier to live a Jewish lifestyle in a Jewish state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes, it's one of the rights one gets..

Yes, Cork people earning the right to return to their "ancestral homeland" in Israel. Very inclusive.
    In fairness, for the whole time I was working in Israel, my circle of friends contained Jews and Arabs alike..

I'd imagine your cross community relationships are many and joyous.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67788355&postcount=49
    Arabs can win, and I've known many Arabs to be friends with Jews there, they just (both) need to put their political agendas aside. I can't speak on behalf of their political situation because I don't agree with everything that's done on either side. I'm not going there to subjugate or oppress anyone or because I'm a crazy Kananist freak- it's just much easier to live a Jewish lifestyle in a Jewish state.

And to hell with the 20% that aren't Jewish, presumably.

Theres an agreed "Jewish lifestyle" now? I didn't hear trumpets or newsflashes broadcast from loudspeakers.....

In fairness, for the whole time I was working in Israel, my circle of friends contained Jews and Arabs alike- the Irish just like to see things very black and white. Arabs can win, and I've known many Arabs to be friends with Jews there, they just (both) need to put their political agendas aside...
    As a matter on interest, is there any general feeling towards atheists or agnostics there? Are there any "interest groups" or are they just a quiet minority?

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres an agreed "Jewish lifestyle" now? I didn't hear trumpets or newsflashes broadcast from loudspeakers.....

I'd say the particular cooking & eating habits and not being able to use lightswitches or do anything from friday sundown-sat sundown, etc, is part of a "lifestyle"

I've known many Arabs to be friends with Jews there, they just (both) need to put their political agendas aside.
    No side will put away their political agendas as long as they're all claiming that their respective Stone, Bronze or Iron-Age religious texts legitimize their claims to the territories claimed by people who believe different religious texts.
    I can't speak on behalf of their political situation because I don't agree with everything that's done on either side. [...] it's just much easier to live a Jewish lifestyle in a Jewish state.
    I think you're going to have a pretty hard time separating the politic situation from the the lifestyle mandated by the strand of judaism that you're joining, particularly if that strand is one of the more extreme ones.

If you're undecided about the politics and history of the region, or believe that you can avoid them, then I suggest grabbing something by Robert Fisk. His Pity the Nation (not about Israel, per se) is particularly insightful.

Religion eh? What a crock of $hite it really is.

No, what is a crock of $hite is when people discriminate against those who don't share their beliefs. That is depressingly common among human beings in general - with neither the religious nor the irreligious having a particularly inspiring track record.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd say the particular cooking & eating habits and not being able to use lightswitches or do anything from friday sundown-sat sundown, etc, is part of a "lifestyle"

And all Jews, be they orthodox, ultra-orthdox, secular, reformed, conservative and non-practicing uniformly observe these things?

As a matter on interest, is there any general feeling towards atheists or agnostics there? Are there any "interest groups" or are they just a quiet minority?
    You'd be really surprised- for the 'Holy Land' I found it to be very secular, and the vast majority of Israelis are 'hilonim' and don't practice religion at all. I'd say about 95% if my Israeli friends fell into this category.
    Yes, Cork people earning the right to return to their "ancestral homeland" in Israel. Very inclusive.
    Jews are Jews all over the world, and I have as much of a right to be there as anyone born Jewish in any part of the world.
    I'd imagine your cross community relationships are many and joyous.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67788355&postcount=49
    And I stand by every word of this-- this is what I saw-- perfectly happy Arabs attending the exact same clubs, universities, supermarkets, hospitals etc as any Israeli. Obviously, the Arabs I befriended weren't of the Islamist extremist variety- much like my Israeli friends, they were very middle of the road in regards to both religion and political views.
    And to hell with the 20% that aren't Jewish, presumably.
    Presuming quite a lot, now aren't we? I'll have you know, the Christian population of Israel is growing at an even faster rate than their Jewish population and they're treated extremely well. I come across many non-Jews (quite a number working as soldiers in Jerusalem) and they were perfectly happy, and very much integrated into the country.
    Do you know anything about Judaism? Insofar as religions go, it's probably the most intrusive on one's lifestyle. Not being able to use electricity or drive from sundown Friday until Saturday night, needing to keep kosher (not only for meat, but milk products and whatnot) as well as being able to attend the synagogue by foot is no mean feat in Ireland. Ever try look for a job where you'll need to be home early on a Friday and have fast days off? Good luck there. Also, the incidents of synagogues being desecrated and Jewish people being intimidated is growing rapidly. How many other religions need huge gates and two security guards outside their place of worship on a weekly basis-- in DUBLIN of all places? Also, the opportunity to give ones children a Jewish education is almost impossible here- there's only one Jewish school and even then it's mostly non-Jews. Finding a Jewish partner is also a major concern, and there isn't a hell of a lot of choice in Ireland. Also, kosher food is EXTREMELY limited and expensive here. Israel is the one place that Jews can be Jews without being a minority and after all they've endured throughout the centuries, it's the least they deserve.
    I suggest grabbing something by Robert Fisk. His Pity the Nation (not about Israel, per se) is particularly insightful.
    No way- at a matter of principle. I yelled the guy down in UCC- he's incredibly biased and in my view and extremely poor journalist as a result.
    No, what is a crock of $hite is when people discriminate against those who don't share their beliefs.
    Israel's decision to allow Jews citizenship isn't discriminatory since a non-Jew can get citizenship too through the same process as one would go through when seeking citizenship of any other country.

And all Jews, be they orthodox, ultra-orthdox, secular, reformed, conservative and non-practicing uniformly observe these things?

Obviously not every single person will be shomer shabbat and keep kosher, but why can't they be allowed the opportunity to do so? Especially as a convert, I intend to keep all of the following, and this is made extremely difficult in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No, what is a crock of $hite is when people discriminate against those who don't share their beliefs. That is depressingly common among human beings in general - with neither the religious nor the irreligious having a particularly inspiring track record.

Hilarious coming from you with your track record of thread closures in the forum you moderate.

^^^ Now, now, folks, no discussion of how other forums are moderated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mainly I am intrigued by the fact the OP has a user name which indicates Kabbalism.

Is this the particular branch you're interested in?

You'd be really surprised- for the 'Holy Land' I found it to be very secular, and the vast majority of Israelis are 'hilonim' and don't practice religion at all. I'd say about 95% if my Israeli friends fell into this category.
    Does that mean they don't follow the 'rules', i.e. the kosher business and Friday/Saturday sabbath rules etc? Doesn't that suggest Israel exists only as a cultural base, rather than a religious one?
    Jews are Jews all over the world, and I have as much of a right to be there as anyone born Jewish in any part of the world.
    Since I'm officially a catholic, I must head to the Vatican to see if they can point me in the direction of a nice apartment overlooking St Peter's Square! Or is that not how independent states work? :pac:

Israel's decision to allow Jews citizenship isn't discriminatory since a non-Jew can get citizenship too through the same process as one would go through when seeking citizenship of any other country.

Do you understand what discrimination means? Discrimination is where different groups of people are treated differently.

If some groups of people (say Christians, Muslims or atheists) are treated one way, but another group (Jews) get preferential treatment than that, by definition, is discrimination.

I suggest grabbing something by Robert Fisk. His Pity the Nation (not about Israel, per se) is particularly insightful.
    No way - at a matter of principle. I yelled the guy down in UCC- he's incredibly biased and in my view and extremely poor journalist as a result.
    You may not be aware of it, but Fisk maintains a dim view of pretty much every government and every leader in the Middle East, and blames them generally for the poor state of the countries they run and the miserable state of constant war, or preparedness for war, that pertains in the region. As the most western-leaning of the states in the Middle-East, Israel has a duty to adhere to western institutions, rules, laws, customs and standards of conduct and it doesn't constitute "bias" to point out that it does not.

It's sad to hear that you had to resort to shouting down Fisk in Cork. If that's the degree of passion that appears upon the peaceful banks of the Lee some ~2500 miles from Jerusalem, then as I said above, when in Israel, I think you're going to find it impossible to detach yourself from the disastrous and suicidal politics of the region.

• Advertisement

Jews are Jews all over the world, and I have as much of a right to be there as anyone born Jewish in any part of the world..

...and in fact you've been given more "right to be there" than the Palestinians born there, but who were expelled. Great stuff.

And I stand by every word of this-- this is what I saw-- perfectly happy Arabs attending the exact same clubs, universities, supermarkets, hospitals etc as any Israeli. Obviously, the Arabs I befriended weren't of the Islamist extremist variety- much like my Israeli friends, they were very middle of the road in regards to both religion and political views...

Sounds like all happy families and singing the equivalent of kumbaya my lord.

What about this however - these two aren't exactly beard- and burqa- clad warriors for Allah...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/19/AR2007121902681.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2007121902748

No mention of "Islamists" here either....
    http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/hebrew-arabic-mix-upsets-neighbors-1.231616
    ...or here.....
    http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/rabbis-wives-urge-girls-not-to-date-or-work-with-arabs-1.333910
    ....or here....
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/video-kiryat-gat-tells-its-school-girls-no-romancing-with-bedouin-1.248771
    ..or here....
    http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/un-rights-panel-slams-israel-over-treatment-of-bedouin-1.8696
    Presuming quite a lot, now aren't we? I'll have you know, the Christian population of Israel is growing at an even faster rate than their Jewish population and they're treated extremely well....

Presuming they aren't Arabs, I suppose.

Or messianic Jews.
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3558795,00.html
    I come across many non-Jews (quite a number working as soldiers in Jerusalem) and they were perfectly happy, and very much integrated into the country.....

And if they're bedouin, they might return home to find their home has been so well integrated, its disappeared into the ground of the Negev....
    Do you know anything about Judaism? ......

Yes.

How many (.........)all they've endured throughout the centuries, it's the least they deserve.

Funny, the general sense of that - 'its hard to live in the light' - is something I've heard from people who've joined some Pentacostalists, members of the Jehovahs Witnesses, Seventh Day adventists and a shower called "The Way international". They reckon they're persecuted as well. They're ok with it though, as they're sure Gods chosen them too.
    No way- at a matter of principle. I yelled the guy down in UCC-......

You go Girl. I'd say that put him in his place.

So theres no commitment to "maintaining a jewish majority" by all the major parties or block on the return of Palestinians then....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yes, it suits you if the immigration authority is sectarian, but not racist.
    LOL - What chance would a muslim from Yemen have?

Sefirah has a point that secular arabs or Palestinians can do quite well in Israel, better than the average person in neighbouring territories like Gaza and Egypt. But this is all jew to the fact that Israel is in reality more progressive and less religious than its neighbours, and is also a big recipient of US foreign aid.
    The settlers who squeezed out Native Americans and Australian Aborigines had a similar argument; that their culture was more progressive than the one it replaced, and some of the more compliant natives would be able to share in "the benefits".

recedite wrote: »
    Sefirah has a point that secular arabs or Palestinians can do quite well in Israel, better than the average person in neighbouring territories like Gaza and Egypt. But this is all jew to the fact that Israel is in reality more progressive and less religious than its neighbours,

I wonder. A deliberate pun or a Freudian slip?

lol... nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Here's a loophole for you OP, the Catholic Church forbids Catholics to be members of the Freemasons, under threat of excommunication. You could see if the Freemason's will let you join and then write to the Bishop of your diocese and inform him that you wish to be excommunicated due to your membership of the Masons. It's not a quickfit solution but in theory it is possible!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_ban_of_Freemasonry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Here's a loophole for you OP, the Catholic Church forbids Catholics to be members of the Freemasons, under threat of excommunication. You could see if the Freemason's will let you join and then write to the Bishop of your diocese and inform him that you wish to be excommunicated due to your membership of the Masons. It's not a quickfit solution but in theory it is possible!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_ban_of_Freemasonry

It's not that easy to join the FreeMasons.

http://www.wikihow.com/Join-Freemasonry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

liamw wrote: »
    It's not that easy to join the FreeMasons.

http://www.wikihow.com/Join-Freemasonry

Well it starts with applying to join and thereafter, the process is out of your hands really, but once you are of good intention and character, there is no real reason why your application should not proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Well it starts with applying to join and thereafter, the process is out of your hands really, but once you are of good intention and character, there is no real reason why your application should not proceed.

True, it just seems like a lot of effort. But the OP seems to have more reasons than most to be excommunicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Do you know anything about Judaism? Insofar as religions go, it's probably the most intrusive on one's lifestyle. Not being able to use electricity or drive from sundown Friday until Saturday night, needing to keep kosher (not only for meat, but milk products and whatnot) as well as being able to attend the synagogue by foot is no mean feat in Ireland. Ever try look for a job where you'll need to be home early on a Friday and have fast days off? Good luck there. Also, the incidents of synagogues being desecrated and Jewish people being intimidated is growing rapidly. How many other religions need huge gates and two security guards outside their place of worship on a weekly basis-- in DUBLIN of all places? Also, the opportunity to give ones children a Jewish education is almost impossible here- there's only one Jewish school and even then it's mostly non-Jews. Finding a Jewish partner is also a major concern, and there isn't a hell of a lot of choice in Ireland. Also, kosher food is EXTREMELY limited and expensive here. Israel is the one place that Jews can be Jews without being a minority and after all they've endured throughout the centuries, it's the least they deserve.

Ok........and you want to become a Jew because????

Y

That's why a lot of jewish people here move to the UK at least for a while, there is a large community there.

liamw wrote: »
    True, it just seems like a lot of effort. But the OP seems to have more reasons than most to be excommunicated.

They haven't because, as Robin has pointed out, excommunication does not stop you being a Catholic.

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's why a lot of jewish people here move to the UK at least for a while, there is a large community there.
    Moving to the UK is an improvement on Ireland, for sure, but it’s no Israel, and is still very much geared towards Christian-living.
    Mainly I am intrigued by the fact the OP has a user name which indicates Kabbalism.

Is this the particular branch you're interested in?
    Actually, when I first started the conversion process, I asked the hazzan (or ‘cantor’, who is the person who sings the service and whatnot) if it was necessary to learn about kabbalism and his answer was “Yeah, sure, go nuts, and while you’re at it, hop back on your magic carpet and fly away” :P – so I’m guessing it doesn’t have too much standing among some Orthodox circles! It’s a really interesting part of Judaism, and pretty complex – they talk about the most minute of details and things which ‘normal’ religion would otherwise gloss over, so it’s a really unique insight. Some Jews are big into it, but others have decided that it’s either too ‘out there’ or has been taken over by the likes of Madonna and has lost its original attraction. Some of it is really fascinating, but other parts are way too tedious and go right over my head, but it’s definitely an interesting aspect of Judaism.
    Does that mean they don't follow the 'rules', i.e. the kosher business and Friday/Saturday sabbath rules etc? Doesn't that suggest Israel exists only as a cultural base, rather than a religious one?
    No, Israel exists as a place that Jews from all walks of life and from all different levels of observance can have the opportunity to be as religion or as downright atheist as they please. It’s not like an Islamist state where religion is forced on people- it’s take it or leave it, but one needs to cater to those who ARE observant if they’re to be fair. Also, Israel is the home of many Jews who have been really mistreated and persecuted in their countries of origin, and to those who abuse them, their level of religiosity is completely irrelevent.
    Since I'm officially a catholic, I must head to the Vatican to see if they can point me in the direction of a nice apartment overlooking St Peter's Square! Or is that not how independent states work?
    Because the Vatican is the only place on earth where there is a Catholic majority and the Catholic faith is catered for, is it? Or are you confusing homelands with sites of religious significance?
    Do you understand what discrimination means? Discrimination is where different groups of people are treated differently.

If some groups of people (say Christians, Muslims or atheists) are treated one way, but another group (Jews) get preferential treatment than that, by definition, is discrimination.
    Then gee whiz, I know a hell of a lot of women who are being discriminated against since they’re given maternity leave and loads of handicapped people also being discriminated against with the providing of ramps- pfft! All this preferential treatment is simply outrageous!
    It's sad to hear that you had to resort to shouting down Fisk in Cork.
    What basically happened was that he refused to acknowledge that rockets were fired into Israel from Gaza, instead referring to them as ‘little bombs’ and he continually belittled the fact that Israelis suffer in this conflict too. He then went on to compare Israelis to Nazis, which is unfortunately a tactic which is being widely employed and completely abuses the holocaust to serve his own agenda. To me, that’s just pathetic and I find it hard to have any respect for the man.
    ...and in fact you've been given more "right to be there" than the Palestinians born there, but who were expelled. Great stuff.
    Let’s ignore the fact that in many instances, Arabs sold their land to Jews. Let’s also ignore the fact that you could technically class a number of Jews as being ‘Palestinian’ because they were there before the creation of the state of Israel. Let’s also ignore the fact that these ‘Palestinians born there, but who were expelled’ appear to still be living in Israel and taking up positions in the Knesset (Parliament) and as judges, army commanders and high ranking officials.
    Now- much more easy, huh?
    So theres no commitment to "maintaining a jewish majority" by all the major parties or block on the return of Palestinians then....?
    A ‘return of the Palestinians’ basically means a complete end to the Jewish state, so it’s obviously not on the cards. Also, may I ask where the ‘Right to Return’ is for the 50% of Israeli Jews who themselves or their family have fled Muslim countries?

To Nodin’s post – Jews not wanting Arabs to live in their neighbourhoods in many instances boils down to the fact that many of the neighbourhoods they’re being rejected from do so because they’re founded on the basis of traditional Jewish values and having non-Jews driving through their area and desecrating the Sabbath basically pisses them off, and this isn’t the kind of community they wish to have. Jews exclude other Jews from living in their areas too because of this- there are many Kibbutzim which will refuse entry to Jews they deem not to be religious enough to live in their area because they want to preserve the character of their neighbourhood. Take from that what you will.
    As for relationships between Arabs and Jews- go figure, there are plenty ignorant people out there who simply like to meddle in other peoples’ lives and tell them how to behave.
    Obviously when one tries to amalgamate together two different cultures and people with a lot of political animosity, there will be conflict and discrimination- but discrimination against minorities is an issue that pretty much every single country in the world battles with, and in comparison to their neighbours in Egypt and how they’re managing with their Coptic Christian minority, I think Israel is doing pretty damn well for itself.
    The issue with Messianic Jews is that they not only try to convert Jews to their religion (and any form of proselytising is illegal in Israel- to or from any religion) but they are known to prey on people who are disadvantaged and vulnerable. Jewish tradition has struggled to survive in exile, so I fully understand why people would be angry at others trying to convert them and force their beliefs on others under the false pretence that this is still ‘Judaism’ within their own homeland. http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/475_messianic_congregati.htm
    As for Bedouins- I highly recommend reading “A Shepherd’s Journey”, written by Bedouin Ishmael Khaldi in which he describes how he went from growing up a poor shepherd living in a tent to becoming one of the highest ranking officials in the Israeli Defence forces, later receiving a position as advisor to the minister of foreign affairs Avigdor Lieberman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_Khaldi
    recedite wrote: »
    LOL - What chance would a muslim from Yemen have?
    Seeing as how Yemen considers Israel an enemy state and vise versa, and also the fact that Israelis aren’t allows to enter Yemen (or even anyone with an Israeli stamp on their passport) , this is a no brainer. They might as well wave banners with ‘come blow us up’.
    keppler wrote: »
    Ok........and you want to become a Jew because????
    I love it :)

On that note, I believe I have had my ORIGINAL question answered (kick Bishop up the ass, or send him a letter, but preferably to try the latter first) and many thanks for all the responses! :) While I’m sure that some are eager to argue further about Jews and Arabs and whatnot and I’m certain we could easily go back and forth for a dozen pages, I’d rather pass, as I’ve been having this argument for the past 5 years and as one could guess it gets RATHER old VERY fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is so weird.

Tentatively closing this thread as the OP has gotten an answer, and has expressed a wish to not participate in a protracted debate in her own thread.

If anyone has any further advice regarding the original question, PM me or the OP.

Lastly, there's a "New Thread" button for anyone who has a starting point for a new Middle Eastern discussion. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement