Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Was trying to convince my wife when she ordered her new fiesta to order an St, she was having none of me! Uber jealous right now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Fair play to you, would have been so easy to get another diesel focus.

They're not half bad! Once got a rental of a 1.6 TDCI Fiesta in Germany and I thought "Oh no, a diesel Feshty, I'll be blown out of the water on the Autobahn", but it was great, very nippy, quite fast and great brakes too, I rounded a corner at 180 km/h and saw a wall of cars at a standstill right in front of me! :eek:
    But anyway, back to ST's, that is a tasty looking motor, I can't believe what Fiesta's are these days, they started out quite different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...I can't believe what Fiesta's are these days, they started out quite different.

Indeed. My mother has a 2009 1.25l, and the thing is actually rather pleasant and fun to drive.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Indeed. My mother has a 2009 1.25l, and the thing is actually rather pleasant and fun to drive.

My mother once had a MKI in the early 80's in her job, it is exactly absolutely nothing like the ST, other than it says Fiesta on the tailgate. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Fair play Henry, wish you all the best with it!

Cracking looking motor, you're making me think about the inevitable change in the next year or two. :)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Savage looking wheels! Remember to bed in the brakes,tyres and engine!

Would a few laps round Mondello do the trick? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Picked it up this morning. First thoughts were it was exactly what I ordered and wanted, and it was presented in great order. Nice interior mats and a half tank of fuel.

Took most of 3 mins to adjust everything to suit - seat, steering wheel, mirrors, usb, hook up the phone to Sync etc.

The ride is firm at low speed but not uncomfortably so. The seat is great. Hugs you like an old girlfriend. Everything you need falls easily to hand.

I drove it about 2 miles and parked at work for the day.

I had a 50 mile journey this evening, which turned into an 80 mile one deliberately. The engine is very strong. You can hear induction on wider openings of the throttle. You can also hear the turbo spooling up, and the faint sound of a dump valve when the boost is being released. The brakes are powerful and immediate. A gentle touch is required to keep it all smooth. There's little or no body roll. I didn't push it at all cornering but it's certainly confidence inspiring.

So far, and it's early days yet, I'm really happy with the car. In fact it's better than I had expected, and my expectations were pretty high.

I drove with a smile from driving for the first time in a few years.

You're not looking for a job presenting a motoring show are you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OSI wrote: »
    Loosely and with contempt?

You need to part on better terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

After seeing this, I'm thinking of small hot hatches. The ST I found too stiff for everyday driving, but I'm now thinking of going after a Citroen AX GTi or something equally daft and French for a weekend runaround.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ianobrien wrote: »
    After seeing this, I'm thinking of small hot hatches. The ST I found too stiff for everyday driving, but I'm now thinking of going after a Citroen AX GTi or something equally daft and French for a weekend runaround.....

Pug 205GTI or even a CTI?

Pug 205GTI or even a CTI?

Non sunroof 1.9 GTi maybe. A CTi? I'd rather walk.

I was thinking of an early 106 Rallye or even a Citroen Visa GTi. I did say something equally daft.

ianobrien wrote: »
    Non sunroof 1.9 GTi maybe. A CTi? I'd rather walk.

I was thinking of an early 106 Rallye or even a Citroen Visa GTi. I did say something equally daft.

Renault 5 Turbo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

coach22 wrote: »
    Very nice and best of luck with it. Is that the standard red colour? Looks very nice if it is.

Did a track day training at Mondello in March and there were two of these at it. A blue and a black one. I'd say they are great fun to drive.

Does anyone know do Ford PCP deals on these? was on the website but couldn't find much

Bought a new one last month. Haven't stopped smiling.

ST's are not available on Ford Options (5.9%).

Got a good deal though. 6.9% on finance, A lot more for a trade in on my old motor than what it was worth private value by playing two dealers off against each other, extra €1.5k scrappage, full tank of fuel and free tax for the year, btl of bubbly and box of chocolates in the boot as well.

Here is my FeST in Connemara last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Limbo123 wrote: »
    Bought a new one last month. Haven't stopped smiling.

ST's are not available on Ford Options (5.9%)

Here is my FeST in Connemara last week

Looks class! Cheers for the info. Going to get a test drive in one and see how much they will give me for my mkv gti.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

coach22 wrote: »
    Looks class! Cheers for the info. Going to get a test drive in one and see how much they will give me for my mkv gti.

Good luck Coach, you will love it!
    You may need to travel far for a test drive though - possibly even up North. I may be wrong but apart from mine, the only other ST2 in a Ford dealership in Ireland that I was aware of was the blue one in Ford Blanch that I turned down in favour of the Panther Black and that sold two weeks ago.
    They had another blue one in Tallaght that sold same week as mine. Also a blue one (think it was an ST1 without appearance pack) in a dealership in Cork(Charlesville?) but that sold too.

No point going to the UK as the exchange rate is absolutely awful and it will actually cost more.

If you have to order one, head to Spirit Ford in Sandyford and ask for Declan. He done me a deal that NO OTHER dealer could come remotely close to ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Limbo123 wrote: »
    Good luck Coach, you will love it!
    You may need to travel far for a test drive though - possibly even up North. I may be wrong but apart from mine, the only other ST2 in a Ford dealership in Ireland that I was aware of was the blue one in Ford Blanch that I turned down in favour of the Panther Black and that sold two weeks ago.
    They had another blue one in Tallaght that sold same week as mine. Also a blue one (think it was an ST1 without appearance pack) in a dealership in Cork(Charlesville?) but that sold too.

No point going to the UK as the exchange rate is absolutely awful and it will actually cost more.

If you have to order one, head to Spirit Ford in Sandyford and ask for Declan. He done me a deal that NO OTHER dealer could come remotely close to ;-)

Careful with the washing of the panther black, its a little bit soft.

Not quite a fiesta stmt but I got myself it's bigger brother 3 weeks ago, focus st3 in stealth great. Similar to the Fiesta, the ride is a little bit firm but on motorways it's hardly noticeable. the torque levels are phenomenal, cruising at 120 on the motorway in 6th gear and need to over take , little blip on the throttle and you're doing 150. Acceleration from standing is awesome, still a little bit of torque steer whilst "idiot starting" but man is it fun to drive.

A short update....

Done just over 6000 miles now and the car has performed faultlessly. It's fun every time you sit behind the wheel. Long trips are absolutely fine and it's a decent motorway car. Performance and handling are as expected - excellent.

p.s. I didn't buy this car for fuel economy but the trip computer shows an everage from new of 41.9mpg - which is very impressive all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

In 6th at 120 what rpm does it sit at ?

And can he get to it that speed in 2nd? :D

I'll check tomorrow but c.3000rpm I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

p.s. I didn't buy this car for fuel economy but the trip computer shows an everage from new of 41.9mpg - which is very impressive all things considered.

This mainly motorway miles or town ?

This mainly motorway miles or town ?

Mainly quick A roads and some motorway.

Once it's on boost who cares.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A short update....

Done just over 6000 miles now and the car has performed faultlessly. It's fun every time you sit behind the wheel. Long trips are absolutely fine and it's a decent motorway car. Performance and handling are as expected - excellent.

when you getting a new one :)

I'll check tomorrow but c.3000rpm I think.

Actually it's slightly less. c.2800-2850rpm. Strong engine torque means it can very comfortably pull a high top gear, which may account for the excellent (if unexpected) fuel economy.

Some more gentle driving (I'm absolutely not hypermiling) and the trip computer now shows 41.2mpg average over slightly more than 7000 miles from new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

That's not that great from a modern petrol with a light body tbh.

Sounds like a cracking car otherwise though Henry. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Jesus. wrote: »

WTF. How is averaging 41-42 mpg in a 180bhp hot hatch "not great"?

JoeA3 wrote: »

197bhp when on overboost. The in gear punch is vivid.

That's better than POV06 gets from a diesel! :D

• Advertisement

That's not that great from a modern petrol with a light body tbh...

Reckon? I had a 1,000cc motorbike one time with around 140BHP that did 22 mpg when, erm, encouraged! :D

If he's driving her hard then it is. But driving normally its poor especially given that Henry says its mainly B-roads and Motorways so not much town/city driving.

My last car was a 12 year old heavy Laguna and I averaged 39mpg (real brim to brim method, not dash com) and that was really mixed driving because I live in Dublin and rarely travel outside it. A brand new smaller lighter car should be doing better than that.

But like I say, if he's going up and down the rev range which he probably is given its a hot hatch then 41-42 is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What is this "MPG" you speak of?

If he's driving her hard then it is. But driving normally its poor especially given that Henry says its mainly B-roads and Motorways so not much town/city driving.

My last car was a 12 year old heavy Laguna and I averaged 39mpg (real brim to brim method, not dash com) and that was really mixed driving because I live in Dublin and rarely travel outside it. A brand new smaller lighter car should be doing better than that.

But like I say, if he's going up and down the rev range which he probably is given its a hot hatch then 41-42 is good.

I drive motorway on the way to work (120-130ish) and back road on the way home (not exactly hard, but not slow either). I manage 47.6 mpg in my 1.8 TDCI Cmax (it used to be better, but at 345k km it's getting a bit tired) and I regard that as good. Compared to that, a hot hatch being driven enthusiastically doing 42 mpg should be quite good.

What is this "MPG" you speak of?

Don't even start that discussion again.
    The mpg boys complain that l/100km is too complicated and they can't get their head around it. Thankfully most metric guys are smart enough to also understand arbitrary medieval measurements as well as the sensible, logical, scientific metric stuff. :P;):D

Don't even start that discussion again.
    The mpg boys complain that l/100km is too complicated and they can't get their head around it. Thankfully most metric guys are smart enough to also understand arbitrary medieval measurements as well as the sensible, logical, scientific metric stuff. :P;):D

'Scuse me chief - I respec'fully submit that km/l would be even more logical than that bass-ackward Continong caper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Well I was driving another ford ecoboosted car recently and didn't quite get as good mpg. :pac:

5qkvj5A.jpg

Compared to that, a hot hatch being driven enthusiastically doing 42 mpg should be quite good.

I would agree with that Doc

That's a crazy comparision to be fair. A large family wagon (Laguna) geared for relaxed cruising versus a small hot hatch where the tendency would be to use the rev band a lot more, even if on longer runs.

40+ mpg on a 180+ bhp car is amazing in my book. Similar cars 10-15 years ago would have struggled to get over 25mpg.

• Advertisement

CR7 was that the new Mustang? :p

40+ mpg on a 180+ bhp car is amazing in my book. Similar cars 10-15 years ago would have struggled to get over 25mpg.

Should you be used horsepower as a basis for comparison though? I would've thought displacement would be more appropriate. Both the Laguna and Fiesta are 1.6's

Should you be used horsepower as a basis for comparison though? I would've thought displacement would be more appropriate. Both the Laguna and Fiesta are 1.6's

Not sure if this is a serious question. Of course BHP is a factor! I'm guessing the Laguna was 100-110 bhp at most? This is comparing apples and oranges...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The power to weight ratio is what is relevant, not displacement.

Yes but if you have a new 1.6 with 180bhp, if you drive it moderately (doubt that's what Henry's doing tbf) and aren't using the turbo much, shouldn't you return a better mpg than an old 1.6 with 110bph with no turbo?

jimgoose wrote: »
    'Scuse me chief - I respec'fully submit that km/l would be even more logical than that bass-ackward Continong caper! :D

Now you're just being ridiculous! I demand satisfaction! Dampfkraftwagen und schwere Haubitzen at dawn!

• Advertisement

There is a small cosmos of factors beyond displacement which affect power, and given that power is acquired via the burning of fuel and nothing else, power output (or "state-of-tune") is extremely relevant when comparing fuel consumption figures. Fuel maps, bore-and-stroke, rev-ceiling, volumetric efficiency of valves, ports, manifolds, etc.

Yes but if you have a new 1.6 with 180bhp, if you drive it moderately (doubt that's what Henry's doing tbf) and aren't using the turbo much, shouldn't you return a better mpg than an old 1.6 with 110bph with no turbo?

Best way to find out, you buy one and report fuel consumption back to us. :P

Indeed but isn't displacement equally relevant?

Now you're just being ridiculous! I demand satisfaction! Dampfkraftwagen und schwere Haubitzen at dawn!

Today, largely for the incorrectly-spelt crack, I am driving herself's Clerget-Le Rhône Nieuport Bebe, and I am gauging the fuel efficiency by the degree of opaqueness of my flying goggles due to oil flung from the nine-cylinder rotary. I'll deal with you later when I've cleaned myself up. Allez!! :D

Indeed but isn't displacement equally relevant?

It certainly is, but it is more useful to think in terms of specific output, i.e. BHP per-litre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement