Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

One thing that makes me more interested in a new Fiesta ST is it's likely residuals. It's relatively rare and will be much in demand used, so it'll not depreciate too badly at all I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

One thing that makes me more interested in a new Fiesta ST is it's likely residuals. It's relatively rare and will be much in demand used, so it'll not depreciate too badly at all I'd expect.

The fact it's got such good reviews in the press probably will help it hold onto its value better than other hot hatches. It's in a sensible tax band as well, being only marginally dearer than the 1.25. For all its faults, this is where the CO2 taxation can be very beneficial, if it was the old system it would be taxed as a 1.6, which would be a fair whack more than a 1.25 or especially the 1.0 Ecoboost. With the CO2 system it's a still very reasonable €280, compared to €200 for the 1.25 models.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

A hot hatch shouldn't have leather seats imho - your arse should be planted and held in place.

This is a strange thing to say. Unless you wear track suit bottoms every day of your life then I'm not sure this would ever be an issue. The leather Recaro's in the MkII are the exact same shape as the cloth seats. Neither of them hold better or worse and they're both ridiculously comfortable.

Also the fact the ST3 spec ain't available here in the newer generations, means that you'll only ever get part leather seats anyway, never the full shebang.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

dar83 wrote: »
    This is a strange thing to say. Unless you wear track suit bottoms every day of your life then I'm not sure this would ever be an issue. The leather Recaro's in the MkII are the exact same shape as the cloth seats. Neither of them hold better or worse and they're both ridiculously comfortable.....

As I've said each to their own.

p.s. A MkII what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Reviving an old thread here, I'm considering upgrading my 2006 GTi for a Fiesta ST.

Haven't driven one yet but have one lined up for next weekend hopefully.

They are a bit too pricey brand new at 29k for an ST2 (an ST2 sold recently for 25k in Cavanaghs of Charleville but that was a one off apparently) so I am thinking of importing a 2013/14 model from across the pond.

Only thing is I can't get a VRT quote. Based on emissions of 138g/km it falls under the 19% of OMSP band, anyone VRT'd one lately? What kind of OMSP's are the revenue plucking out of their arses for these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

fletch wrote: »

No I enquired, it sold on Saturday. He said he'd get back to me if the deal falls through, its not being registered till January, was a good price at 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,613 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Any chance they'd source another one at that price of you left them a deposit?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Any chance they'd source another one at that price of you left them a deposit?

No that was a one off deal apparently. Only hope would be if the deal fell through

Put my Golf GTi on donedeal an hour ago and have someone coming to view tomorrow. Hadn't thought about selling so quick but if the moneys right i might have to let it go

I had a look at a new Fiesta ST the other day. It's a very nice car in the flesh.

Might do a raid on the piggy bank?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ever driven a 911 with leather seats around a track? Its quite annoying nearly borderline dangerous sliding around the seats. Half leather+alacantra is always my preferred choice.

+1
    If leather was indeed the better, grippier material for racing, all racing cars would have it...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres a mechanic down in the local Ford garage has a 141 ST in red. Looks lovely in the flesh too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had a look at a new Fiesta ST the other day. It's a very nice car in the flesh.

Might do a raid on the piggy bank?

Yes you should. Boards told you to...

Still thinking......

FiestaSTSpiritBlueRHD_Side_00003.jpg

Thinking of an ST1 now in red, with a few options.....

2012-ford-fiesta-st1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Still no talking you into buying the ST2?

The car I drove was an ST2. Spirit Blue was a €750 option and the seats were nice. My Dealer reckons the difference (€2250) would net down to €750 after 12 months. For retained value it's an ST1 with 2 option packs all the way.

But for knowing you made the right choice and did things in style, the ST2 is the only way to go. :P

dar83 wrote: »
    But for knowing you made the right choice and did things in style, the ST2 is the only way to go. :P

Plus if I was in the market for a used one of these I'd walk past an ST1 regardless of option packs.

Neilw wrote: »
    Plus if I was in the market for a used one of these I'd walk past an ST1 regardless of option packs.

Each to their own, but my view is the Irish 2nd hand buyer is primarily concerned with price over spec.

As a matter of interest which spec. items on an ST2 are most attractive to you?

• Advertisement

I'm the exact same and when it comes to an ST you definitely want to have as much spec as possible as the type of buyer that goes for one (even second hand) wants a decent spec. A regular Irish 2nd hand buyer isn't going to want an ST and the added initial expense of one anyway, so you'll already be in looking at a resale market that isn't madeup of the price/low tax brigade.
    Each to their own, but my view is the Irish 2nd hand buyer is primarily concerned with price over spec.

As a matter of interest which spec. items on an ST2 are most attractive to you?

For me the seats and the audio upgrade are two huge elements and something I'd put money into anyway if not spec'd to my liking on a car I purchased. Am I also correct in thinking that the ST1 doesn't even have Manual A/C these days? If so then that's another big one, as once you have it you can't ever really go back to a hot/cold blower...

ST1 has manual a/c I think.

Seats, audio and climate are worth the extra alone.

As dar already said your average buyer isn't looking for a fiesta ST and those who are will be looking for the highest spec car.

What's the difference in price between the st1 with options you're interested in and an st2?

Btw I'd take what a dealer says about value after x amount of years with a pinch of salt, they'd say mass for a sale.

This car is a hot hatch. ST1 is mechanically identical to ST2. Both models have Recaro seats (ST2 has half leather trim). Both models have a decent stereo - with usb/ipod/Sync (ST2 has a Sony head unit). Both models have a heated windscreen, a/c, and a Thatcham Cat1 alarm.

There are a few other minor differences, but the extra €1500 for the difference is neither justified nor meaningful in residual values. The extra €750 for the Blue paint will not reflect in the used value either.

To me at least a hot hatch should be primarily about performance and equipped to exploit that. An ST1 will do that perfectly.

To me at least a hot hatch should be primarily about performance and equipped to exploit that. An ST1 will do that perfectly.

20 years ago maybe, but these days that doesn't really fly. It's the same reason you don't get people in the UK buying ST1's, if they ever see one a lot of them ask if that was possible.

I'm not arguing that for resale and residuals in Ireland you're not better off buying a paddy spec version, but speaking as someone who owns a hot hatch and has put money into some of the specific things you mention as being not worth spending the money on when buying one, I am the exact use case that shows you that what you are saying is a falsehood.

Luckily for me my car was as close to an ST2 as you could get here (optional Xenon's aside) and the only thing I really needed to make it 'nearly' an ST3 were the leather seats, which I got. But when I was buying my own and even looking now, the amount of ST's for sale in Ireland that are base spec and really quite lacking in anything but the base features that they all possess is startling. Even then, the ST3's you find are generally imports. I've only ever seen one full fat ST3 for sale here, which even included the ST3 optional dual zone climate. Now wheoever bought that one originally is a hero! :D

It's down to personal preference really.

Resale is one of my primary considerations, and I reckon the car I'm looking at will be in very high demand in about 12 months time. Residuals are strong on a Fiesta ST.

I think I'll leave it that.

On a final note, while red is one of my favourite colours it would also put a fair amount of buyers off a used car.
    If you're interested in residual value a car in the well know ford blue would be better IMO.

But....I'm not the one buying so enjoy whatever you decide on and revive the thread when you're selling to see if we're right lol.

On a final note, while red is one of my favourite colours it would also put a fair amount of buyers off a used car.
    If you're interested in residual value a car in the well know ford blue would be better IMO.

But....I'm not the one buying so enjoy whatever you decide on and revive the thread when you're selling to see if we're right lol.

Again each to their own.

I've owned new Ford cars in red in 04, 07, 09, & 13. No problem moving any of them on.

That Spirit Blue costs an additional €750, and my view is it'll not be a good option come resale time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I agree on the extra money for an ST2, it will help it sell in 12 months time but won't make it any more valuable.

The blue metallic would be a must for me tho.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I may actually be in the market for just this kind of car in 12-18 months time, but an ST1 won't be on my radar, I'd go to the UK for an ST2/3 before I'd buy an ST1 here. Just trying to give you insight into the exact type of buyer you'll be hoping for in that time frame, but we can agree to disagree.

I do hope you go through with the purchase though, just for the fact not many people will and it's great that some people are stil at least considering the best versions of what Ford has to offer. :)

Advertisement