Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi Johnkid. Shomar Ltd supply the Saorview Connect product. They will make good the proplem you are having by testing and replacing the box directly if nessessary. We can help if you make conatct with us, details are in the quick start guide or online.

Hi there, I sent an e-mail to help at shomar dot ie (which is shown the quick start guide) but it got rejected ....

Your message wasn't delivered to <as above> because the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive email.

:confused:

Anyone having a problem with the SC box not properly recognising the HDD capacity? My (brand new) Seagate 2TB external HDD is showing on the SC box as having 119MB capacity, this after a format, followed by a factory reset and I'm on the current s/w verison ... 0.20.20

When I attach the HDD to my laptop, I can see 2TB free, I installed Seagate diagnostic and test s/w and it passes all of those tests. I even repartitioned it to reduce the primary partition to 1TB, in case the SC box couldn't handle 2TB but it made no difference. I do a 'format' each time I reattach it to the SC box but it always shows as 119MB so it can only record a few minutes worth of one program, then it's 'full'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shomar Ltd.

Hi. Please do a full factory reset to your device. Once complete unplug for a minute. On power up retune in both Terrestrial and Satalite. Make sure your HDD is installed during this process.
    Please Let us know how it go’s.
    Regards
    Shomar
    Ps
    We also emailed you directly following your request to the Helpdesk.

Hi. Please do a full factory reset to your device. Once complete unplug for a minute. On power up retune in both Terrestrial and Satalite. Make sure your HDD is installed during this process.

Did all that (even though the box is brand new), it made no difference.
    We also emailed you directly following your request to the Helpdesk.

The email I sent you bounced, how do you know what address I'm at? I haven't received anything from you.

Edit: your reply went into my spam folder, apologies for that. I've replied to your e-mail.

I think the issue is at the HDD level, I tried a different disk drive and the problem appears to have something to do with partitions. On the second drive I tried, the SC box used the last partition on the HDD whch was only 60GB. Though when I originally plugged in the Seagate HDD, there was only one (2TB) partition but the SC box could only see 119MB.

I've attached the Seagate HDD to my Windows laptop, am currently giving it a full format and will try it again with the SC box tomorrow. Meanwhile, I brought an old 2.5" 250GB laptop HDD out of retirement, it's now attached to the SC box (which is reporting that it can see the full capacity) and is recording for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Apologies if this has been asked before....but its a long thread....

Just got powerpoint box and brand new USB drive, When I connect it says it can't format it. I can use PC to format it perhaps if it is looking for a specific format.

Any help appreciated

thanks

EDIT : Sorted. Formatted on PC and fine now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sorry Shomar Ltd, Boards rules require me to inform you that you cannot post here as a company unless you are a Verified Rep. You need to contact the admins to go about that, I cannot help you.

Straight permanent ban if this warning is ignored. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Most boxes when adding a hdd device needs to be correctly installed and setup for box to use and see it,format only erases recordings but would ask if there was a next step to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Hi, don’t want to read all 255 pages to be honest, so just want to ask a few quick questions that have probably been asked many times before.

Is the PowerPoint box the only Saorview Connect box available?

Is it any good?

Is there updated channel files available for this box? Can they be downloaded/uploaded and transferred to another box?

Can you watch on one saorview transponder and record on another?

Thanks.....

I wont buy or use one because as many people have issues.

Recordings does the box have 2 tuners connected sat and cable as usually record on one view on the other.

Might have to record on box and view on tv if it is saorview enabled.

Cant answer movement of fles to another location.

Enigma 2 boxes can send files to other boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZCtq-4sscc

next video mentions a walker box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

To answer my own question there's no live tv option on the RTE player on the connect box.

Why would there be??? The box has live tv!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

lsjmhar wrote:
    Why would there be??? The box has live tv!!!!

On the RTE player on the phone on live TV there's the option to watch a programme from the start if you come upon it late. Suppose I was hoping for something similar with the connect box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

On the RTE player on the phone on live TV there's the option to watch a programme from the start if you come upon it late. Suppose I was hoping for something similar with the connect box.

The freesat humax 1100s box has this feature. It allows you to watch all the bbc channels live through streaming or if you wish you can watch a programme from the start (bbc channels only). It is a really useful feature. You need to overcome geoblocking for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Hi, don’t want to read all 255 pages to be honest, so just want to ask a few quick questions that have probably been asked many times before.

Is it any good?

Is there updated channel files available for this box? Can they be downloaded/uploaded and transferred to another box?

Thanks.....

Can anybody answer my questions above?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Can anybody answer my questions above?

General Consensus:

It is not worth the money
    There are more functional boxes available at the price point
    There have been many attempts at improving the box since it first appeared, and still it is not good.

You could always read through the thread to get an unbiased opinion on what has been posted.
    ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is it any good?

Thanks.....

If you are talking about the Connect box, then the box has two tuners - one for watching, and one for recording. Both tuners can receive both Saorview and Satellite.

The Saorview channels are scanned automatically. It has a default satellite list that may or may not suit, but can, with effort, be rearranged.

The question as to whether it is any good, well ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Hi

Does this box have the new RTE player app, or still on the old one.

marathont wrote:
    Does this box have the new RTE player app, or still on the old one.

It has the new one. Still problematic though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Hi,

Has anyone any experience on how this box deals with saorview mixed with freeview?

I'm considering buying a PVR as even though my TV has a terrestrial tuner and a satellite tuner, once its recording on one tuner you cant view channels on the other:mad:

I've no interest in connecting this box to a satellite feed for UK tv due to no 7 day EPG on that side of things, so I suppose I'm looking to know has anybody got this box running saorview & freeview with 7 day EPG, recording and series link working for both services?

Thanks,
    doney84

Not hooked up my tv yet to feeds but sure it mentioned a 7 day epg but would need to check,You should be able to record sat or saorview and look at the other.
    Plenty of enigma 2 combo boxes that can use freesat via sat dish and saorview/freeview via aerial depending on location.

I would still make use of feeds for tv and feeds for combo and as you have 7 day epg on the box set recordings on that and view on tv.

So its either saorview and sat IRL , or freeview and sat UK. via roof aerial dvb/t

doney84 wrote:
    I've no interest in connecting this box to a satellite feed for UK tv due to no 7 day EPG on that side of things, so I suppose I'm looking to know has anybody got this box running saorview & freeview with 7 day EPG, recording and series link working for both services?

The box can't run saorview and freeview. It only allows saorview and satellite FTA so you will only get now and next for UK channels.

• Advertisement

lsjmhar wrote: »
    The box can't run saorview and freeview. It only allows saorview and satellite FTA so you will only get now and next for UK channels.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know. So does the software prevent the terrestrial tuner picking up terrestrial services other than the two saorview multiplex's?

Its location dependent as its use is for southern ireland,not northern ireland or uk.
    It should give you the limited tv and radio channels we all get.

doney84 wrote:
    Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know. So does the software prevent the terrestrial tuner picking up terrestrial services other than the two saorview multiplex's?

Yes. You can only pick up Irish Saorview channels - tv and radio - from the aerial connection as there is only one connector. There are two coax connectors for satellite FTA so you need satellite dish to receive these - no UK freeview nor Freesat option on box. I need a UK Freesat box or enigma2 box for 7 day UK epg!

Yes. You can only pick up Irish Saorview channels - tv and radio - from the aerial connection as there is only one connector. There are two coax connectors for satellite FTA so you need satellite dish to receive these - no UK freeview nor Freesat option on box. I need a UK Freesat box or enigma2 box for 7 day UK epg!

I live close to the border and currently can get Saorview and Freeview from my aerial set up. What I need to know is if my coax lead from my aerial is plugged into this box how will it treat the multiplex's from Northern Ireland. Will it simply ignore them leaving only the Saorview channels or will it add
    all channels leaving an EPG populated with both Saorview and Freeview channels?

It might add them as i was using an arriva box in skerries and it picked up uk channel on the scan but cant remember how clear they were when you went to view them.

doney84 wrote:
    I live close to the border and currently can get Saorview and Freeview from my aerial set up. What I need to know is if my coax lead from my aerial is plugged into this box how will it treat the multiplex's from Northern Ireland. Will it simply ignore them leaving only the Saorview channels or will it add all channels leaving an EPG populated with both Saorview and Freeview channels?

doney84 wrote:
    I live close to the border and currently can get Saorview and Freeview from my aerial set up. What I need to know is if my coax lead from my aerial is plugged into this box how will it treat the multiplex's from Northern Ireland. Will it simply ignore them leaving only the Saorview channels or will it add all channels leaving an EPG populated with both Saorview and Freeview channels?

Not sure tbh. All you could do is try and borrow one and see. I imagine the box software searches for Irish transmitters rather than UK.

As an example, the Quest HD channel doesn't tune on satellite side as the transmitter changed. The saorview guys said they need to add the new frequencies for the channel to a future software update to install channel when doing a UKFTA scan. This suggests the software is locked to scan specific frequencies. Maybe it is the same for the saorview side.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Not sure tbh. All you could do is try and borrow one and see. I imagine the box software searches for Irish transmitters rather than UK.

I'd be pretty sure it just scans the whole band, & saves whatever it finds, with the Freeview stuff at the bottom of the list.

I'd doubt how it behaves on satellite would have any bearing on the terrestrial side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've seen FreeView stuff that ignores any non-FreeView channels as "foreign". Given that it is the same s/w house that developed Saorview it's possible they did the reverse for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

AFAIA, the Saorview specs have always made provision for receiving multiple networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

As an example, the Quest HD channel doesn't tune on satellite side as the transmitter changed. The saorview guys said they need to add the new frequencies for the channel to a future software update to install channel when doing a UKFTA scan. This suggests the software is locked to scan specific frequencies. Maybe it is the same for the saorview side.

The two are not the same, lsjmhar.

The reason why the satellite will not tune in Quest HD is because the transponder frequency is not defined in the software which is basically a line in an xml that says <transponder frequency="11426000" symbol_rate="29500000" polarization="1" fec_inner="6" system="1" modulation="1"

The question about whether the channel list is locked down on DVB-T, I doubt it. How are these configured on setup ? Does it ask for a location for Saorview or is it autotune. Its likely that the out of network channels are just appended to the bottom unless the software is asked to ignore any service that doesn't have the RTE NL descriptor. Unlikely.

EKT could do with releasing a channel editor for these boxes. Someone sent me the firmware and it clearly ALI-ARM A9 based.

Advertisement