Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Not used any of them but have been contemplating getting some. More than likely in Ireland you will need the ones that are compatible with no neutral wire at the switch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000096289910.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Would they need adaptors to fit our switch back boxes?
    They look to be US sized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

sgarvan wrote: »
    Not used any of them but have been contemplating getting some. More than likely in Ireland you will need the ones that are compatible with no neutral wire at the switch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000096289910.html

Ok I know I am a bit slow, but why no neutral?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

The Teckin 3 pack smart plugs were £24 on Black Friday.

So impressed with them I was that I ordered another 4 a few days later.

Both had to be Parcel Motel’d

I got the same deal going to set them up this evening was thinking they'd be great for Christmas tree lights

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ok I know I am a bit slow, but why no neutral?

Most will only have a live and switch wire and may be lucky if there's an earth....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

jones wrote: »
    I got the same deal going to set them up this evening was thinking they'd be great for Christmas tree lights

They are,

I'm running 7 in total now (3 round & 4 square), and there's not a bother on them, every one starts up as scheduled, and they are very quick to react to manual changes on the app (even on cellular).
    I did have 3 G-Homa ones from B&Q for a few years which worked well enough, but the Teckin ones are a lot better, and neater too.

One of them is in the shed at the back of the garden (at least 20m and 2 walls away from the router), and it works perfectly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Teckin ones are a big step up in how relatively small and neat they are, but also how little power they use in standby mode. They use just about 0.5W when in standby (wifi still on obviously). By comparison the TP-Link pugs use about 1.5W when in standby. The teckin plugs power use is closer to zigbee/z-wave, which is impressive for a wifi device.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Another set of TECKIN plugs going on sale at midnight apparently: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JFJQ3ZP/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_cex9DbXNP13P8

Don't know if these are better or worse than the set from earlier in the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Another set of TECKIN plugs going on sale at midnight apparently: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JFJQ3ZP/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_cex9DbXNP13P8

Don't know if these are better or worse than the set from earlier in the week?
    I'm loving the ones I bought earlier in the week - thanks to whoever posted them for me. It really helped that they were narrowed on the "back" of them as many of the newer ones seem to be. With these round ones on offer today it's very hard to tell from the images whether they have that feature or not. Also keep in mind sterling doing a lot better and this equates to around € 38+ now.

I have 3 round ones, and 4 of the square ones, and they all fit beside each other on a 4 gang extension (with switches)

The round ones are actually a smaller form (newer version) than the square type ones.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks guys, I ordered them last night after that. I see the square ones are going on sale again tonight at midnight or so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hue led strip lightning deal. I just got the 3m led strip, that's a 2m with 1m extension for £44.99

Philips Hue Lightstrip 3m Bundle [Base Kit + Extension] White and Colour Ambiance Smart LED Kit (Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XC2MPSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_i1Z9Db1TY3JJ0

eufy 30c down to £170 on Amazon U.K. (works out about €203 for anyone with Prime)

Still not as low as the €173 I paid on Amazon Spain on Black Friday, but still a great price for a great RoboVac.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ring Alarm 5 Piece Kit down to £199 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R7DCB8Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Gt19DbV4VJ6EB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

TitianGerm wrote: »

With sterling at the moment, plus higher IR vat,that's €250.
    Here it is from US for half that $139/€125. Even with addresspal delivery and VAT, surely a better deal.
    https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-security-kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

deezell wrote: »
    Here it is from US for half that $139/€125. Even with addresspal delivery and VAT, surely a better deal.

My brother lives in the states and will be home soon, so may order this to his house in US and ask him to bring it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

deezell wrote: »

Isn't there some issue with the US frequency signal not being compatible over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Isn't there some issue with the US frequency signal not being compatible over here?

Right you are. EU uses 868Mhz for Z wave smart device frequencies, US uses 908Mhz. While the components and hub would all connect, I'm not sure if your app connects via you local wan wired to the hub, or Bluetooth, so is there a risk that your phone wont see it? Apart from that youre using illegal frequencies, at very low power, but theoretically could interfere with other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

3 bulbs deal of the day offers at amazon again

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ablelocks wrote: »

Great stuff. Bought some gu10’s and b22’s.

• Advertisement

If your buying the bulbs, is it better to buy the hub or buy the Echo Plus with embedded hub?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If your buying the bulbs, is it better to buy the hub or buy the Echo Plus with embedded hub?

Buy the Hub, it will give you far greater power and versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

ablelocks wrote: »

Excellent, just picked up 3 white ambiance b22 ones for my parents house to get em started, is there much functionality lost with just the bluetooth? Will likely pickup a cheap hub on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Shlippery wrote: »
    Excellent, just picked up 3 white ambiance b22 ones for my parents house to get em started, is there much functionality lost with just the bluetooth? Will likely pickup a cheap hub on Adverts.

There are often people selling the hubs cheaply on adverts because they got extra hubs with some of the amazon deals.
    That's how I got started, a €25 hub and a spare hue bulb my brother gave me when he moved apartments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There are often people selling the hubs cheaply on adverts because they got extra hubs with some of the amazon deals.
    That's how I got started, a €25 hub and a spare hue bulb my brother gave me when he moved apartments!

We should also warn you that it's starting you off down a bad road of buying bulbs for no reason other than they were on offer....(*_*)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

We should also warn you that it's starting you off down a bad road of buying bulbs for no reason other than they were on offer....(*_*)

I've 18 hue bulbs in my 1 bed apartment.

I massively only bought these because they were on offer and want the luxury of Hue functionality when I stay at my folks house :pac:. I'll be damned if I use a light switch again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

On the lookout for some Sonoff S26 plugs if anyone sees any offers.
    They are for my dad, who I bought 3 for last year and he uses with the eWelink app so i'm thinking keep the same or any that will work with that app. Don't want to have him using separate apps for separate plugs.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kceire wrote: »
    On the lookout for some Sonoff S26 plugs if anyone sees any offers.
    They are for my dad, who I bought 3 for last year and he uses with the eWelink app so i'm thinking keep the same or any that will work with that app. Don't want to have him using separate apps for separate plugs.

Thanks.

Banggood

6,62€ 42% OFF]SONOFF® S26 10A AC90V-250V Smart WIFI Socket CN/US/UK/AU/DE/FR/BR/CH/IL/IT Wireless Plug Power Sockets Smart Home Switch Work With Alexa Google Assistant IFTTT Electronic Accessories & Gadgets from Electronics on banggood.com

https://banggood.app.link/sHaeZmZ2v2

bk wrote: »
    Buy the Hub, it will give you far greater power and versatility.

Ok but if you are using non Phillips device then you will need a separate one? correct? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Del2005 wrote: »
    Banggood

6,62€ 42% OFF]SONOFF® S26 10A AC90V-250V Smart WIFI Socket CN/US/UK/AU/DE/FR/BR/CH/IL/IT Wireless Plug Power Sockets Smart Home Switch Work With Alexa Google Assistant IFTTT Electronic Accessories & Gadgets from Electronics on banggood.com

https://banggood.app.link/sHaeZmZ2v2

Thanks.
    That's where I bought the first lot too.

Advertisement