Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

JCTO wrote: »
    I have been site banned 4 times since I joined Boards. Does that mean I live in my own world?

No, it just means you must be a **** stirrer extraordinaire. Weird how yourself and JMH don't seem to have learned from your lessons. You'd almost think you're both the same person. Maybe the rumours are true after all. and it looks like the little campaign has entered desperation phase.
    I really don't care if I get banned for this but how suspicious is it when 3 of the guys who are being pegged as 3 of the multiple accounts of corvus all jump in randomly and sprout the same nonsense in the last week. No other posts or consistency just jump in post in reply to JMH and jump out.

Wrong again. I was nearly logged in for an hour, posted in two other forums and then came to the Pats thread to catch up when I saw that the **** stirrer was still at it. But shure you keep on getting your facts wrong, because that's nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Vandango wrote: »
    No, it just means you must be a **** stirrer extraordinaire. Weird how yourself and JMH don't seem to have learned from your lessons. You'd almost think you're both the same person. Maybe the rumours are true after all. and it looks like the little campaign has entered desperation phase.

I have been posting on here a lot longer than you as has JMH and a lot of the guys on here know both of us. As for sh1t stirring? hilarious I actually spit up my coffee laughing at this nonsense. As for rumours? Please share we would all love to hear them. Go on make it personal.
    Wrong again. I was nearly logged in for an hour, posted in two other forums and then came to the Pats thread to catch up when I saw that the **** stirrer was still at it. But shure you keep on getting your facts wrong, because that's nothing new.

Same language and verbiage used as the other guys. Even when calling out people you seem to do it. Also the fact you guys keep bring up the same things about **** stirring and rumours and people being the same account as the rebuttal makes it even clearer you are full of sh1t.

The mods can't see it but the more you respond the clearer it becomes. I challenge you to prove yourself. I have no problem throwing an image of who I am and where I am located and in fact I will give you a link to my company website and you will see me on there. I bet you if it came down to it you and all the other profiles couldn't do the same. I will eat my hat if I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It's true. I'm also JCTO. The gig is up boys. Almost got away with it too! :pac:

It's true. I'm also JCTO. The gig is up boys. Almost got away with it too! :pac:

Oh sh1t if you are me you owe the US Gov taxes. And your car needs new tires also. You can send the check to............

Deal, but it's your turn to go to work for us tomorrow. If you could stop into the gym for an hour tonight too, that'd be great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Chandler Jones traded to Cardinals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

paulie21 wrote: »
    Chandler Jones traded to Cardinals

Were never going to be able to keep all of Jones, Hightower and Collins. Guess the Pats chose the latter two and thought might as well get something extra for Jones now rather than just a comp pick in a year's time.

Collins and Hightower are definitely priorities plus Butler to consider as well. A former first round guard and 2nd round pick for a guy who can walk for nothing next year is good business

good deal overall but it makes that Front 7 very interesting now. Jones was vital on that line. Be interesting to see will we pull the trigger on Chris Long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

paulie21 wrote: »
    Collins and Hightower are definitely priorities plus Butler to consider as well. A former first round guard and 2nd round pick for a guy who can walk for nothing next year is good business

Highly unlikely they'd get nothing. General consensus seems to have been they'd get a 3rd rounder in compensation. Cooper has been a bust (injuries partly tho) so far in his career. The odds of getting a player as good as Jones in the 2nd this year is pretty unlikely but its the Pats.. Cooper will prob be an All Pro and Jones will prob violate the league substance abuse policy in the next week or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SantryRed wrote: »
    Are you a medical professional too...?
    I don't know but he is definitely not Corvus so quit with your bullying please.

If that Jones incident a couple of months ago was of Chandler's doing then it's good to get rid. Nice trade in every sense imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

no more account speculation. Bans will follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

chris long 1 year deal. details to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Jones is going to get paid by someone. It was either us (unlikely) or another team (very likely).

As others have said, there are three others who are due to be paid (Hightower, Collins, Butler) and they are more of a priority.

Jones was still our best pass rusher, so the Long signng is needed. Jones never really dominated a game to show he's up there with the top pass rushers, but he has sack numbers and they get you paid (or even over paid). I would not have liked us to pay Jones $12+m yr.

Now we just need to use that traded pick wisely!
    11 draft picks at the moment.

• Advertisement

Well it's not a surprise - Jones always looked like he would get the short straw when you looked at who was hitting free agency next year. Hopefully this allows us to pay Hightower and Collins the money they deserve, while tying up Sheard and Butler on decent money too. I know it's well acknowledged that Sheard seemed to have a better year than Jones (if not on the major statistics, then at least on the nerd statistics from the likes of PFF) but let's not forget Sheard only played not much more than 50% of all defensive snaps last year (51%, to be precise) whereas Jones was in on almost 80%. I would have been more concerned had we not gone out and signed Chris Long, so hopefully we can get a decent rotation going with those 2, with Nink propping up the other side. We then have the likes of Flower and Grissom as depth with an eye on development, and Brown and Easley should push on. I would still expect maybe one more veteran signing to come in, though whether they would make it past training camp is another thing.

I've read a lot of the same comments about Jones on twitter and other forums, and a lot of people call him "good, not great". I think that's harsh - he was certainly a lot closer to 'great' than he was to just 'good' . I certainly wouldn't downplay his achievements here to try make this decision easier to swallow. He came up in some big spots for us and while he was never a Von Miller-type who would take over games, he was a big part of our defence. Ultimately, with the way the market for defensive linemen has developed, he just would have cost too much. We've been able to get a very good return for him so we've got to be happy with that considering he would likely have walked next year with nothing in return.

As for what we've received, well a second rounder is huge. We've now back-to-back picks at the end of the second round, and this draft is very deep with defensive line talent, probably more so than any other position this year, so it's a good year to try pick his replacement. We now have 11 picks this year - hopefully some of them are home runs. And Cooper - well it's boom or bust. Arians was very frustrated with him at Arizona and while he's been unlucky with injuries, he wasn't a stand-out by any means when he was on the field. But sometimes all these players need is a change of scenery and change of personnel. Luckily for us, he has the best in the business in Dante Scarnecchia to try iron out the kinks for him this year. Plus, it's a position of need, so if it works out then this will have been an amazing trade.

Glass half full for me, but I am going to miss Jones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Yeah I'm not convinced to be honest. I suppose the business side of things kicked in, but I do think Jones will be a loss, and I hate the reaction from fans in general on social media saying how great this is and how Jones was average. I thought he was a really key player when we were on our upside. Granted, he wasnt always the most consistent, but he was part of a team effort where the concentration of opposing lines was more often focussed on him. I'm also not convinced by the Cooper signing. Another so so lineman to add to the rest of them. Maybe he'll turn it around and be able to produce at Foxboro, who knows. I suppose the whole thing makes sense, and signing Long helps relieve the loss. I just liked Jones and thought he was close to being a top level player. Maybe the off field incident too played a part so I suppose we just have to have faith that the right move as made all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm gonna miss seeing Jones out there in a Pats uniform, but it isn't a huge surprise given the circumstance. Wish him the best

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Jones never really dominated a game to show he's up there with the top pass rushers, but he has sack numbers and they get you paid (or even over paid). I would not have liked us to pay Jones $12+m yr.

https://twitter.com/RLiuNFL/status/709818407974121473/photo/1

Chandler Jones is 1 of 3 players in NFL w/ 200+ tackles, 36+ sacks & 10+ FFs since 2012 (JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan)

I think it's a good trade for both sides in different ways and it was all business by NE but he is going to be extremely difficult to replace. After watching Brady get lit up by Miller and Ware you'd think NE would want more pass rushers not less.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RLiuNFL/status/709818407974121473/photo/1

Chandler Jones is 1 of 3 players in NFL w/ 200+ tackles, 36+ sacks & 10+ FFs since 2012 (JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan)

I think it's a good trade for both sides in different ways and it was all business by NE but he is going to be extremely difficult to replace. After watching Brady get lit up by Miller and Ware you'd think NE would want more pass rushers not less.
    Like I said, he has the numbers.
    The difference with Jones is that he would get a sack and then nothing. Rarely did we see him consistently get pressure. So for me, you can't pay top dollar when you need that money.

And that's not to say he won't be missed, because he was our best rusher. Ideally I'd like to have kept him, but he was gone next year anyway as he'll get paid.

• Advertisement

We've signed God Dammit Donald. Bit of a strange one but it's a training camp body I guess.

Pats swap a 4th for a 6th and Martellus Bennett. Great pick up on paper. Bennett is a cut above any other TE we've had to partner Gronk apart from Hernandez.

Not to mention Bennett is also a very good blocker.

Shea McClellin to a three-year contract

Pats swap a 4th for a 6th and Martellus Bennett. Great pick up on paper. Bennett is a cut above any other TE we've had to partner Gronk apart from Hernandez.

Very good pickup. Huge improvement over Chandler.

Shea McClellin to a three-year contract

So so glad he is not a bear anymore - without doubt the worst football player I've ever seen. Soft and clueless.

Every bear fan will be celebrating we don't have to suffer him anymore.

This on the other hand is a great pick up. Marty is a quality player no doubt - his issue us solely attitude and we all know if one man and team can sort him out its bill and NE. Hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I like the moves made so far this offseason.

The Jones trade moves a guy we weren't going to pay for in return for a much needed pick for a draft with lots of talent in the trenches and a real potential talent on the OL. Cooper's real value will all depend on how he recovers from injuries and reacts to Scar.
    Signing Kearse and Long provide some solidity to a DL missing a few pieces. I would have preferred to keep Hicks, but I think these pickups with maybe a pick in the draft will keep the front solid.
    Bennet and Hogan are great moves imo, they provide an upgrade on LaFell and Chandler and allow us to restore our 2 TE sets, which should help in the run game as well as the pass.

Brown provides depth but not what I'd call an upgrade to our backfield, while McLellin is a guy with lots of upside to work on at ILB. Both are guys I wouldn't be surprised to see dropped before the end of camp.

There should be plenty of talent in the draft for OL & DL, right now my main concerns are at LB, DB & RB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Love the moves this off season.

Free Agency starts with a bunch of teams over paying above average players, then BB slides in after the mayhem, wheeling and dealing, ends up with 11 picks in this years draft, Martellus Bennett and a couple of serviceable cheap players.

5x 6th round picks but hey, its trade fodder and he's certainly not done trading them
    • Second round (No. 60)
    • Second round (No. 61, from Arizona, via Chandler Jones trade)
    • Third round (No. 91)
    • Third round (No. 96, compensatory)
    • Sixth round (No. 196, from Houston/Keshawn Martin trade)
    • Sixth round (No. 204, from Chicago/Martellus Bennett trade)
    • Sixth round (No. 208, compensatory)
    • Sixth round (No. 214, compensatory)
    • Sixth round (No. 221, compensatory)
    • Seventh round (No. 243, from Houston/Ryan Mallett trade)
    • Seventh round (No. 250)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Happy with the Bennett trade. Granted he was a bit below par last season (had him in my fantasy so kept a closer eye than usual!) but he is a good option and a vast upgrade on Chandler. The McLelin move is hit or miss, I suppose similar to Long and Cooper. They have the skills no doubt, but can they reproduce and get to their absolute best at Foxborough? If they do, it will be all great, if they dont, then it was worth a shot.

McLelin unfortunately for me will always stick in my mind as a result of this play

https://vine.co/v/eUWEHZELLJv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Hazys wrote: »
    5x 6th round picks but hey, its trade fodder and he's certainly not done trading them

The compensatory picks can't be traded so BB can only use two of them as trade fodder - which I am sure he will at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

To be fair to McLellin on that play he had a lot going on around him, but there are some fundamentals
    missing there.
    He may show some improvement under Graham, he has some potential, but I'd be surprised to see him make it out of camp.

Linebacker is one are of need this season, after Hightower and Collins we're very thin.
    Unfortunately, I dont think there's enough depth at LB in the draft that will leave us with another starter-calibre backer from the draft.

I see Steve Belichick has been appointed our safeties coach. Good for him - I'm sure that some people will jump to the conclusion that he only got it because of his Dad (and that's probably part of it - family name and pedigree goes a long way in the NFL) but by all accounts he's a massive game tape guy, crunches a lot of numbers and comes up with a lot of statistics. Interesting to see what he brings to the role.

Hes been involved for a long time now hasn't he? Seems to have served his time, not in the most conventional way, but I don't think he would be given the shot if he hadn't shown promise.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BizzyC wrote: »
    To be fair to McLellin on that play he had a lot going on around him, but there are some fundamentals
    missing there.
    He may show some improvement under Graham, he has some potential, but I'd be surprised to see him make it out of camp.

Linebacker is one are of need this season, after Hightower and Collins we're very thin.
    Unfortunately, I dont think there's enough depth at LB in the draft that will leave us with another starter-calibre backer from the draft.

McClellin has been woeful but he's a bit better than that play. He was in charge of playcalling last year, but he's not a good enough linebacker to take care of his own **** while doing that. He'll make your roster but his career so far has been terrible, he's been too prominent for his ability because he was a first round pick that nobody wanted to admit was a bust.

McClellin is kind of a similar signing to Akeem Ayers a couple of years ago. He had a good start in the NFL but never improved on that. In fairness he was moved around a lot in Chicago and it can be hard to improve when you are put in different positions and different schemes. He has played under three different DC's in his five years with the Bears.

We'll just have to wait and see if it works out in New England but this is the type of signing that works out for the Patriots a lot more than it doesn't.

@jeffphowe

Goodell is giving a speech to head coaches, owners, etc. in a banquet room. Belichick is walking down the hall in the opposite direction.

HAHA fcuk Goodell

I like the Brown signing. Good insurance for Lewis, lots of potential upside and basically zero downside.

By all accounts is a perfect BB player, great attitude, first in, last out, doe whatever is asked etc

Free agent DT Nick Fairley has a meeting with the Patriots.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    McClellin is kind of a similar signing to Akeem Ayers a couple of years ago. He had a good start in the NFL

He never started well - he was terrible right away.
    but never improved on that. In fairness he was moved around a lot in Chicago and it can be hard to improve when you are put in different positions and different schemes. He has played under three different DC's in his five years with the Bears.

He was moved around because he was awful - no football instincts and soft as toilet roll. For football instincts the above vine and the clip of the browns game here
    tell you all you need to know.

Hi one attribute is lateral speed, sideline to sideline. Unfortunately when he gets there he doesn't know what to do.
    We'll just have to wait and see if it works out in New England but this is the type of signing that works out for the Patriots a lot more than it doesn't.

If he ever turns into anything other than a well below average player this will be the Patriots greatest achievement in my eyes.

I honestly Lol'ed when I saw the contract.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I honestly Lol'ed when I saw the contract.
    I don't have high expectations for him. But we are stuck at LB for depth. It was Hightower/Collins, then it was Mayo, and then not much at all. I'd imagine he won't be asked to do too much.

I don't have high expectations for him. But we are stuck at LB for depth. It was Hightower/Collins, then it was Mayo, and then not much at all. I'd imagine he won't be asked to do too much.

I guess he'll do okay as a backup. I just think when our UDFA's outplayed him last year that's a real bad sign.

I think he can be used as a speed blitzer - that's his best role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Hazys wrote: »
    @jeffphowe

Goodell is giving a speech to head coaches, owners, etc. in a banquet room. Belichick is walking down the hall in the opposite direction.

HAHA fcuk Goodell

A pity Kraft didn't join him.

Nick Fairley on way to meet with Bill at owners meeting

Talk of big Vince making a return too.

• Advertisement

Jonathon Kraft on why the Patriots accepted punishment and didn't sue the NFL or take them to court over deflategate. I actually believe him and I said it many times business stood in the way of the decision.
    “You can go to court, but when you sign up to be a part of this league you agree essentially not to sue the league,” Jonathan Kraft said. “But even if you did go to court, you go to court you win money damages. It’ll take longer than the time before the draft happens and the money isn’t the issue here, the issue is getting your draft pick back, and at some point you have to realize it’s not gonna happen and the best revenge will be putting the best team on the field next year and hopefully having a very successful season.”

The first line backs up what I have said before in that Kraft had no backing from the other owners because they agreed to the same terms when joining the league. We can moan about Kraft all we want and cry about him but in the end he is the owner and no owner is going to risk his business over this. And his sons words sum that up and he is right the draft pick wouldn't have come back to us in time had we taken the NFL to court. It would have been a long drawn out battle. Just look at Bradys case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Pats thread will be closed until further notice.
    Do not open a new Pats thread, it will be deleted and the poster banned.

You lot are grown ups, act like it.

Thread has been re-opened.

The thread and forum will have a zero toerance approach to bitching/insulting and just being a dick in general.

Any transgressions and you will be taking a week off

Please reports posts if you have an issue with them

Todd McShay did a two round mock draft and he has the Patriots taking....

60. New England Patriots: Nick Kwiatkoski, ILB, West Virginia

61. New England Patriots*: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama

Cyrus Jones is an Alabama player from Baltimore.

He's practically a Raven already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement