Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exactly like riding a bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Light enough week but got some racing done so not too bad overall.

Tuesday 1st July
    Handy recovery spin.

Distance: 23.0km
    Av speed: 24.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 182m

Wednesday 2nd July
    League racing again. Enjoyed it. Felt reasonably strong. Tried about 3 or 4 attacks but caught within a km or less by the group each time. Finished in the group.

Distance: 51.7km
    Av speed: 35.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 291m

Thursday 3rd July
    Kept it steady for this one.

Distance: 30.0km
    Av speed: 27.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 193m

Saturday 5th July
    Handy recovery spin.

Distance: 17.0km
    Av speed: 21.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 135m

Sunday 6th July
    Headed to the Sam and Betty D'arcy A4 race in bunclody. The left hamstring had been niggling a bit and I wasn't sure if I'd make it around for all of it but I said I'd give it a lash anyway. Had got plenty of fluids in.

Wasn't feeling very comfortable for the first 20km but once I got to about 40km I was better. At about 60km I felt pretty good. I made up a few places in the group to about halfway up it. The hamstring started to niggle again and felt like it was going to cramp. I tried a few out of the saddle efforts to overcome it and once we got to the final climb I stuck it out and held on at the back of the group. Unfortunately I heard that awful sound of scraping carbon and got caught behind a crash not too far from the finish. Managed to avoid any of the fallers (hope no one hurt) but had to come to a near dead stop and getting going again was a challenge considering the gear I had been in. Anyway, enjoyed it. Felt more confident overall.

Distance: 83.0km
    Av speed: 35.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 726m

Good week overall. One race and just under 400km for the week....and my first ever points finish:cool:.

Tuesday 8th July
    Nice handy recovery spin. The racing from the previous sunday had taken its toll. Good to get the legs flushed out and plenty of foam rolling.

Distance: 31.8km
    Av speed: 24.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 269m

Wednesday 9th July
    I was wrecked all day. Audit at work meant I missed breakfast completely and even though I had a decent lunch I was still hungry. Just wasn't feeling it at all when I arrived for the league race. Was chatting to the lads and reckoned I would be lucky not to be dropped.

Off we went and it was more lively than usual with little jumps here and there. I started to find my pace again and when a breakaway formed early on I jumped with it. About 9-10 of us at the start, which became 7 after a few km and then 6 after half a lap or so. The pace was hard and I was starting to regret going with them. The little doubting voice in my head told me to drop out but I dug in. We worked very well together and found ourselves with a minute and a half of a gap back to the group, which at this stage had resigned to letting us go. We hammered on and with 4 km to go I realised that there were league points to be gotten....my first ever race points. All 6 of us took some time to take stock and get ready for the sprint. I jumped early, too early as it turned out and led the others out, but managed to hold off 2 of them for a 4th place finish. Absolutely delighted:D.

On reflection, the 4th place was nice but I was more happy about the work rate. I had buried myself and done my fair share of the work, I wasn't carried at any stage. I had gone early in the end but I went exactly where I had decided to go. I reckon I would have placed 4th either way, but the next time I'll be a bit more savvy. What a buzz though.

Distance: 52.0km
    Av speed: 38.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 291m

Thursday 10th July
    Despite the previous nights racing I decided to do a reasonably hard, steady session. Happy with it.

Distance: 54.1km
    Av speed: 29.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 479m

Friday 11th July
    Another decent steady session. Little bit tired but nothing major.

Distance: 62.7km
    Av speed: 28.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 468m

Saturday 12th July
    Handy recovery spin after the last 3 days.

Distance: 61.5km
    Elevation Gain: 474m

Sunday 13th July
    Bit of a leg loosener to meet the club guys first, followed by club spin and a bit more on my own. Nice finish to the week. Great to be out with the club. It's been a while and I'd forgotten how much easier it is when you've got great company.

Distance: 24.2km
    Av speed: 26.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 168m

Distance: 98.7km
    Av speed: 27.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 645m

No racing. Took the family away for a couple of days. Beautiful weather. Nice and relaxing. Got the bike going for the end of the week. Upgraded the gps with HR and cadence.

Friday 18th July
    Steady session, nothing major.

Distance: 100.7km
    Av speed: 27.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 853m

Saturday 19th July
    Handy recovery spin.

Distance: 44.7km
    Av speed: 23.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 441m

Sunday 20th July
    Headed up for the St Luke's 100k sportive. Great sportive. Really well run, good cause and brilliant value. Did this last year as my first ever 100k so I was interested to see how much improvement there was. Last year I did it at an average of 25.5km/hr and was nearly 4km/hr faster this year, knocking just over 30 minutes of my time, so things are going in the right direction. It's a challenging route and a good test for the body.

Learned my lession from the dragon sportive a couple of weeks ago with regard to the food stop. Ate all around me at that one and paid for it later. Today it was a water bottle fill, half a sandwich and a rice krispies square, in and out in less than 10 minutes. No other food and no gels, just an energy sachet in one of the bottles. Much easier going.

Distance: 106.1km
    Av speed: 29.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1454m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Sounds like you're motoring along nicely. Great to see reults coming in terms of points. Nice progression. Keep it up.

Thanks man. Getting there. Like you'd say yourself (and dilbert75) its all about patience and perseverence....and of course enjoyment. Lots more room for improvement but in a positive way.

Might see you if you're down next month for the wexford 2 day.

• Advertisement

Good week overall. Just under 400km. Rolled through 1250km for July so far. That's over 2500km between June and July, so things are progressing. A little more research on wheels upgrade. More to follow next week.

Tuesday 22nd July
    Recovery spin.

Distance: 38.3km
    Av speed: 26.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 482m

Wednesday 23rd July
    A chance to get in some distance at a steady pace.

Distance: 106.3km
    Av speed: 26.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 859m

Thursday 24th July
    League race. Felt good throughout. Some time spent up the front. Bridging to little breakaways. Had a crack at the sprinting but not from a very good position. Finished middle of pack.

Distance: 58.0km
    Av speed: 38.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 470m

Friday 25th July
    Tough one. Very warm. A chance to do another "bonk" ride. No breakfast. Just a banana on the bike and 1.5L of fluids. Had planned to do about 100km but pushed on a bit further. Last 30km were very tough and done in a very energy depleted state. Got it done though.

Distance: 129.8km
    Av speed: 25.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1082m

Saturday 26th July
    Recovery spin.

Distance: 33.0km
    Elevation Gain: 310m

An easier week. Some racing, some physio, some progress. July finished up at over 1400km.

Can't believe we are into august. Harvesting preparations are underway.

Mon 28th July
    Good session of hill repeats. Easy spinning on way there and fartlek session home afterwards. Went ok overall.

Distance: 61.2km
    Av speed: 23.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1114m

Wednesday 30th July
    Handy recovery spin.

Distance: 38.4km
    Av speed: 25.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 389m

Thursday 31st July
    League race. Little bit tired. Did some work up the front and rolled in behind the bunch at the end when it started to rain.

Distance: 58.0km
    Av speed: 38.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 488m

Sunday 3rd August
    Headed up for the SERC GP on the inch circuit for the A4 race. I had a heavy session of needling on my glut with the physio on friday and I was sore and stiff and did not get a chance to spin the legs in between, so I was no sure how I'd get on.

For the first 2 laps I stayed at the back with a few little moves into the middle. I reckoned if I needed to abandon I would slip off the back nice and quietly. I very nearly did throw in the towel towards the end of the second lap and decided to go to the front and burn off the last of what I had. When I headed back into the group I got a second wind and despite a little bit of cramping, I continued.

This wasn't a target race and I hope to do the wexford 2 day, so I decided to use the remainder of the race as training. On the 3rd lap I spent a bit more time towards the front of the group. On the 4th lap, I hit the front and did about 4-5km rotating between 1st and 4th wheel. I did not want to sprint and I did not want to be sheltered in the group and reduce effort. I wanted a good hard interval. With about 4km to go I let myself slide out the back and decided to do a few short, hard sprints on my own to finish up. Delighted to see that there was a little energy and power left in the tank.

Unfortunately, as I looked up the road, about 50yrds or so, I saw the bunch erupt and I do mean erupt. Lads were vaulted into the air and bikes spinning across the road. From what I gathered afterwards from talking to others, many more could have hit the deck but managed to get untangled from various knock on events. Not nice to see and if I'm honest, it shook me up to watch it unfold, it really did.

IMHO Inch is a very good circuit, wide and safe with good marshalling and a good road surface. Reckon the accident happened on one of the widest parts. Unconfirmed reports of concussion, shoulder injuries and one case of stitches required. Not cool.

In the future I would hope to repeat this approach. If I can hit the front and drive it during the race, I will. Hopefully get stronger and stay out of the group in the wind up. Don't get me wrong, I would very much like to contest finishes (hopefully breakaways:)) but I will hopefully be a better rider and a stronger one when I do. I don't want to be in a crash, but I never want to cause one.

Distance: 77.2km
    Av speed: 36.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 758m

Handy week, a step back week of sorts.

Tuesday 5thth August
    Handy recovery session. Tagged on some hill sprints at the end.

Distance: 21.0km
    Av speed: 24.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 204m

Thursday 7th August
    League race. Decent warm up. Different route and it handed me my a$$. Great to race on a more challenging course as it lets you know exactly where you are. A nice reminder that at best I'm average on the bike, or a bit below, and shows you what the rest can do that you cannot.....yet.

Distance: 48.7km
    Av speed: 33.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 538m

Sunday 10th August
    Fartlek session with 2 others. Nice bit of training. We attacked each other at times and worked together at times. Generally mixed it up as we had planned to do. A strong headwind made it a testing session. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt stronger and more in energetic, so the easier week had obviously worked. Did some sprints at the end before I headed home.

Distance: 91.4km
    Av speed: 26.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 882m

A long week. Light week on the bike but a heavy one work-wise, both with the day job and harvesting. The latter is going ok so far. A couple of hiccups with machinery but nothing major. Could be finished by next thursday which would be great.

Wednesday 13th August
    Recovery session.

Distance: 23.5km
    Av speed: 26.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 232m

Saturday 16th August
    Decent session. No breakfast. Just fluids on the bike. Home in time to do 10hrs of harvesting.

Distance: 84.9km
    Av speed: 26.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 698m

Sunday 17th August
    Fartlek session. Quick protein shake beforehand and just fluids on the bike. Pretty strong headwind for the second half of this which gave me a good workout. Back home to do some repairs on the harvester. Finally got harvesting at 1 o' Clock til just before 11 o' Clock. Wrecked.

Distance: 59.0km
    Av speed: 30.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 455m

Harvesting for a lot of the week. Small bit left to do as it was not ready to cut. Bike work was minimal. Did my first 2 day event as my last racing for the year. I had thought maybe to do one more race but I'm sticking with the plan. Maybe a few sportives and club spins and get some nice handy distance in.

Tuesday 19th August
    Fartlek session.

Distance: 38.0km
    Av speed: 31.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 333m

Saturday 23rd August
    Headed over for the Wexford 2 day for stages 1 & 2, an 75km race and a TT later in the day.

The race was tough. I knew it would be. Thought I might be dropped a lot earlier than I was but I hung on as long as I could. The lighter weeks had helped me recover a good bit. Finished over a minute behind the group but I was pretty happy. I wasn't completely spent but a lack of concentration and experience showed in the end and of course a serious lack of hill climbing ability.

The TT was tough for me. Not a great time at all but probably not too bad given my ability and the race earlier. Had a time of over 9.5 minutes. Overall it put me in the lower third in GC.

Distance: 74.9km
    Av speed: 35.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 743m

Sunday 24th August
    Wexford 2 day stage 3. A pretty decent nights sleep. I felt reasonable. Rolling start. Light rain turned a bit heavier and the pace was decent. Left hip was not great but not bothering me too much. Unfortunately I had a mechanical and the support car was brilliant, but I had lost too much time on the group. The weather was crap and if it had been better I would have hammered on but an offer of a lift from a really nice couple from newry saw me abandon. First time I've done that but I really didn't see the point tbh, just too miserable. Felt a bit out of sorts this evening, I guess a mixture of disappointment and energy not spent in the race. Still a great experience and I would recommend it highly. Just a great buzz. Thanks Wexford Wheelers.

Distance: 44.0km
    Av speed: 36.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 275m

• Advertisement

Nice to meet you at the race on Saturday. Good to get your first stage race done and by the looks of it that was a pretty successful first season of racing. Looks like you'll drop a lot of weight if you keep up the bonk rides although don't go mad on them is what they say and obviously keep the diet good. hope to drop a few kg this winter and get racing earlier next year myself.

Nice to meet you at the race on Saturday. Good to get your first stage race done and by the looks of it that was a pretty successful first season of racing. Looks like you'll drop a lot of weight if you keep up the bonk rides although don't go mad on them is what they say and obviously keep the diet good. hope to drop a few kg this winter and get racing earlier next year myself.

Good to meet you too. You got on well yourself, congrats. Not sure how much more you need to lose. You look in pretty good shape in fairness.

Its a start anyway. I've a new weight goal. The bonk rides will continue but mostly supplemented with pre-breakfast turbo sessions, starting half 5 tomorrow morning. I have a new training room outside so the family won't be disturbed and its colder so hopefully the usual sweatfest will be minimised.

Really enjoyed the week. Over 300km done. Enjoyed the racing season but I have to say it was nice to get some distance in. Not having to think about what races were coming up and trying to keep myself some bit in form for them. New goal for weight and the focus is the mileage goal for the year which is progressing nicely.

Monday 25th August
    Recovery spin. Needed it after the 2 day.

Distance: 20.3km
    Av speed: 25.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 177m

Tuesday 26th August
    Handy spin.

Distance: 34.0km
    Av speed: 26.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 276m

Wednesday 27th August
    Pre-breakfast 20 minute turbo session. Tired but a great way to start the day.

Saturday 30th August
    Headed to the Katie O'Brien 100k to raise funds for the Jack & Jill foundation. Great bunch of cyclists and a really great cause, I love the charity cycles. The pace was pretty decent and I tagged on a bit more for good measure. Food was kept to a minimum. 2 bananas, 2 cereal bars and 2 bottles of fluid.

Distance: 144.3km
    Av speed: 30.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 936m

Sunday 31st August
    A chance to get in some distance again. I reckoned I would have been tired from the 140k the day before but I was fine. No breakfast. 3 slices of thinly buttered fruit loaf, 2 fig rolls and 2L of fluids on the bike. I bonked a bit at about 130k and rode the last bit steadily. I'm going to eat a little bit more on the bonk rides. I'm just trying to balance the fat burning while avoiding the "eat everything around me" feeling afterwards. It worked well today.

Distance: 144.9km
    Av speed: 27.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1235m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Headed to the Katie O'Brien 100k .......144.3km

Did ya get lost???? :eek::D

upthe19th wrote: »

Saturday 30th August
    Headed to the Katie O'Brien 100k to raise funds for the Jack & Jill foundation. Great bunch of cyclists and a really great cause, I love the charity cycles. The pace was pretty decent and I tagged on a bit more for good measure. Food was kept to a minimum. 2 bananas, 2 cereal bars and 2 bottles of fluid.

Distance: 144.3km
    Av speed: 30.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 936m

Did a bit before and after C. How are ya fixed for a bit of training sometime? Drop me a txt if it suits someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hell yeah. Need to get a few hills in before Killarney.

That was a big week mileage wise after the 2 day. Fair play. You'll be pretty competitive next yr if you maintain the work ethic. A3 in no time at least I think. I stayed off the bike til yesterday. Had a few things I needed to do and had to prioritise. Did a 140k spin yesterday semi fasted. Went out after scrambled eggs and put some chorizo sausage, 50g emmental cheese and 2 large handfuls of nuts (mixture of cashew, walnut and almond from individual packs in Aldi) in the back pocket. Wasn't sure how I'd go but I never bonked anyway and still had some gas in the tank to work hard the last few km and do a sprint. Had tea at a friends after 80k and drank 2.5L water. Didn't go mad on carbs afterwards either. Check out ibreatheimhungry.com for some fantastic low carb recipes. The cream cheese pancakes are lovely. It's blackberry season now and I picked a load today with 2 of our children and they make a great topping. Fruit is a good anti inflammatory as well as all it's vitamins/antioxidants and it's growing free in a field near you.

Good week distance wise with just over 400km, most I've done in a week since I started. Also a good week weight wise with some good progress, more to do but getting there. Changed the back tyre on the training bike. It was worn through to the thread. In fairness it has probably done over 6000km from when I fitted it last October.

Monday 1st September
    The car needed brake pads, so I brought the bike with me when I brought the car over to my mechanic. Got in a decent fartlek session while the work was being done.

Distance: 30.6km
    Av speed: 31.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 191m

Wednesday 3rd September
    Handy recovery spin.

Distance: 24.1km
    Av speed: 24.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 189m

Thursday 4th September
    Another fartlek session. Not as hard though.

Distance: 28.2km
    Av speed: 28.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 282m

Friday 5th September
    Huge breakfast. Out of work early. No lunch. Collected the young fella from school. Once herself was home I headed off. Strong cup of coffee, no sugar or milk before I left and 2 fig rolls. No food on bike. 1.5L fluids. Bonked a little bit before the end but only slightly. Took in a few climbs as well. Enjoyed the session.

Distance: 84.7km
    Av speed: 27.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 878m

Saturday 6th September
    Another chance to get in some distance in. No breakfast. 2 slices of fruit loaf, 3 fig rolls, 2 bananas and 1.5L of fluid on the bike. Strong throughout. No mad hunger afterwards.

Distance: 138.0km
    Av speed: 28.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 996m

Had some family and friends around in the evening. Didn't eat much junk. The stories were flying and there was great banter. I mouthed the word "Whiskey" to my mate, got the nod of approval......game ball. We don't get a chance to drink together much but when we do its pretty epic. Only one rule, whiskey is to be drunk neat. We finished off a bottle of Kilbeggan and I headed back to the cupboard. Like I say I don't do it much but I always keep a nice bottle tucked away for such an occasion. In this case a nice bottle of 12 year old Glenfiddich. We proceeded to polish that off as well. As they all headed home later I was told to enjoy my cycle in the morning and herself gave me that "yeah right" look cos she reckoned there was no way I was going to be able to do it.

Sunday 7th September
    Woke up at 7, paused and waited for the hangover to overwhelm me. Couldn't believe it, I was in great order, like I didn't drink a drop. Not as satisfying though as the look of disbelief on my wife's face as I strode across the room in the cycling gear saying I'd see her in 4 hours.

No breakfast. 2 bananas, 4 fig rolls and 1.5L of fluids on the bike. Enjoyed the spin. I could press on at times if I wanted to and it was a beautiful morning.

Distance: 100.1km
    Av speed: 25.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 671m

Easier week. Not as much distance. Work was mental. Good progress on weight again. The motto of "You deserve junk you are training hard" has been replaced with "Your hard training deserves a better diet". Well for a while at least.....

Thursday 11th September
    Fartlek session. Took the race bike out and pushed as hard as I could. Happy enough.

Distance: 35.9km
    Elevation Gain: 324m

Saturday 13th September
    A chance to get in a bit of distance. No breakfast. A banana was all I had to eat and 2 bottles of fluids on the bike. Really happy with this one. No energy issues at all and at 32km/hr average, I wasn't exactly sparing the whip. Fastest 100k I've done so far but its a pretty flat route too, in fairness.

Distance: 106.9km
    Av speed: 32.0km/hr

Sunday 14th September
    By far the most enjoyable spin I've gone on. I'd never been up the wicklow mountains before in any shape or form. A while back fellow boardsie, nilhg had offered to take me up them, so we did it today.

We headed from dunlavin with one of nilhg's mates, a really nice fella, and made our way around. Some tough climbing but I have to say that I enjoyed the challenge. The weight loss has really helped me with the climbing.

I had forgotten that there was racing in laragh. We saw the big boys come through and got a coffee and headed on again. Got most of them in today, slieve mann, shay elliot, wicklow gap and turlough hill and a few more drags and short climbs as well. Some nice elevation for an average distance.

All and all a great day. The guys really looked after me, despite my pitifully slow descents, sorry guys:o. Like I've said, by far and away one of the best days I've ever had on the bike. Thanks boys:).

Distance: 86.5km
    Av speed: 22.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1837m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

upthe19th wrote: »
    Easier week. Not as much distance. Work was mental. Good progress on weight again. The motto of "You deserve junk you are training hard" has been replaced with "Your hard training deserves a better diet". Well for a while at least.....

Thursday 11th September
    Fartlek session. Took the race bike out and pushed as hard as I could. Happy enough.

Distance: 35.9km
    Elevation Gain: 324m

Saturday 13th September
    A chance to get in a bit of distance. No breakfast. A banana was all I had to eat and 2 bottles of fluids on the bike. Really happy with this one. No energy issues at all and at 32km/hr average, I wasn't exactly sparing the whip. Fastest 100k I've done so far but its a pretty flat route too, in fairness.

Distance: 106.9km
    Av speed: 32.0km/hr

Sunday 14th September
    By far the most enjoyable spin I've gone on. I'd never been up the wicklow mountains before in any shape or form. A while back fellow boardsie, nilhg had offered to take me up them, so we did it today.

We headed from dunlavin with one of nilhg's mates, a really nice fella, and made our way around. Some tough climbing but I have to say that I enjoyed the challenge. The weight loss has really helped me with the climbing.

I had forgotten that there was racing in laragh. We saw the big boys come through and got a coffee and headed on again. Got most of them in today, slieve mann, shay elliot, wicklow gap and turlough hill and a few more drags and short climbs as well. Some nice elevation for an average distance.

All and all a great day. The guys really looked after me, despite my pitifully slow descents, sorry guys:o. Like I've said, by far and away one of the best days I've ever had on the bike. Thanks boys:).

Distance: 86.5km
    Av speed: 22.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1837m

Your mistake was to stop and wait for us at the top of the climbs:D.

A very enjoyable day out, though I have to say I hardly knew you when you got out of the car, who is this young, slim fella where upthe19th used to be? Your hard work is paying off, there was no passing you on any climb today and you were even on the "old" bike.

Good stuff, keep her lit.....

• Advertisement

Savage going. Make sure you have something in the tank when the season is going again next year and don't become a winter wonder.

Savage going. Make sure you have something in the tank when the season is going again next year and don't become a winter wonder.

Will do. Just trying to mix it up and concentrate on the weight loss.

I see you're on the move to pastures new. Best of luck with it.

A decent week again with over 400km done and my first ever 200km cycle. The diet is going well and the weight is coming down nicely. Made a batch of protein bars and they were not bad at all. Just need to tweak them a little bit. I've stopped taking sugar in tea/coffee for a few weeks now. I'd usually have one cup of each per day. I weighed out a teaspoon of sugar and it came in around 8g. By my rough reckoning that would mean I'd avoid consuming nearly 2 bags of sugar between now and christmas. Quite an eye-opener.

Monday 15th September
    A nice handy recovery spin. Just what I needed.

Distance: 25.4km
    Av speed: 23.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 261m

Thursday 18th September
    Kept it steady for this one.

Distance: 27.3km
    Av speed: 27.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 272m

Friday 19th September
    Collected the young fella from school and the other from my mam's. Played around for a bit with the boys before herself came home and headed out for a session at a steady pace.

Distance: 64.1km
    Av speed: 28.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 473m

Saturday 20th September
    I'd been threatening to do a 200km spin for a while. Got the go ahead from herself and off I went.

I wanted to keep the food to a minimum. A banana for breakfast. 3 cereal bars, one at 60km, 120km and 160km. 2.5L of fluid.

It was tough towards the end but not from an energy point of view. In fact I felt pretty good. I just found my motivation dropping. Never usually have any problem with this. I've always found little ways to keep myself going and setting little goals along the way. It was a long time in the saddle and I was a little pi$$ed off towards the end, nearly bored. Not easy to do the distance solo, but then it's my first attempt so it's always going to be bit more of a push.

Distance: 203.9km
    Av speed: 27.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1622m

Sunday 21st September
    Out for a spin with the club and tagged on a bit more. Really enjoyed it. Always good to get out with the crew and the nice pace gave my legs a chance to get flushed out. Went a bit further than I had planned but felt ok, even after the long spin the day before.

Distance: 113.3km
    Av speed: 26.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 988m

Savage going. The depletion rides mustbe working really well for you so. Give us an idea of your weight this time last year v now.

Savage going. The depletion rides mustbe working really well for you so. Give us an idea of your weight this time last year v now.

Yeah its not going too bad overall. I will give an update on things tomorrow in my weekly post. Its been an exceptionally memorable week this week, one I'll remember for a long time to come.

This is a bigger post than usual, so bear with me. Over 1250km for the month of September. A lighter week training wise but a busy one. Gave my regular blood donation. Spent a day at the ploughing championships which is a tough day on the legs. And the small matter of meeting a hero of mine and a true source of inspiration for me, but more on than later.

This week I surpassed my annual goal of 8,000km. I've set a new goal for the rest of the year. It won't be the end of the world if I don't achieve it, I'm happy to have achieved the first one.

I had hoped at the start of the year to get down to a weight of 13st 3lbs. I don't know what weight I was when I started cycling but I had not been running for ages through injury, so I'd reckon it could have been somewhere around 14st 10lbs. I was definitely 14st 7lbs at christmas. I managed to get down to a steady 13st 3lbs by the time I finished racing for this year. At the beginning of September I set myself a goal of hitting 12st 10lbs by the end of October, basically 8 weeks. To date I have surpassed that target in 4 weeks to a weight of 12st 9lbs. It's not massive weight loss but I guess its not too bad. Its meant a fairly strict diet, with some fasting and I'm tired sometimes but I just go to bed earlier. With the racing finished there's less need to be at my optimum performance, so I can go a bit deeper with depletion rides and lower energy levels. I've set a new target and hopefully I can get there.

Thursday 25th September
    I've never spoken about this here but some mates at work and my wife would know about it. Gerry Duffy is a bit of a hero of mine and a massive source of inspiration for me. And so when I found out that the Wexford Tri Club were holding a fundraising night with Gerry as a speaker, I was on the phone and booked tickets for myself and a mate from work immediately. When we arrived I met Dilbert75 and the lovely Mrs Dilbert75 before things kicked off.

I've read Gerry's books over and over again. From them I found him factual, ambitious, interesting and an achiever. A guy who had obviously turned things around and then proceeded to apply this to all other aspects of his life. But you only get so much from a book. I needed to see how this came across in person.

I thought the talk was excellent and I got a lot from it. I had finally met Gerry, the speaker. I found him highly motivated, direct, confident and articulate. Pretty impressive from a guy, who described himself as having a pathological fear off public speaking before he turned things around.

Now I wanted to meet Gerry himself, but to be honest I felt very self-conscious. At the end I finally told myself that if I didn't go and talk to him and thank him for inspiring me I would regret it for ever more. So up I went. Now I met Gerry, the person. If I said that he was very friendly and approachable, it would be an understatement. He was the most inviting guy you could ever meet. We chatted away and I mentioned some of the things I was doing as a result of his achievements, trivial as they are in the greater scheme of things. And then I noticed that as I was speaking I commanded 100% of his attention and he was really interested. Whether it was a 1km run you did for the first time or a 1000km cycle, he was interested. Such an amazing quality in a person. A great experience and a photo with a hero of mine, what more could you ask for. I'll remember it for a long time to come.

Friday 26th September
    Collected the young fella from school as per usual on a friday and headed out for a steady session.

Distance: 61.8km
    Av speed: 27.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 633m

Saturday 27th September
    Nothing major distance wise with this one but used as a depletion ride (going to use your term phil if you don't mind, sounds way better than "bonk":)).

Protein shake for breakfast. No food on the bike. 1.5L fluids. Felt good.

Distance: 85.2km
    Av speed: 27.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 605m

Sunday 28th September
    Again not major distance but another depletion ride. No breakfast at all. No food on the bike. 1.5L fluid. Felt strong and no issues energy-wise.

Distance: 83.1km
    Av speed: 29.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 530m

factual, ambitious, interesting and an achiever

Sounds rather like you to be honest. Was waiting all day for that post yesterday but had an early night so it has been a good read to start the day. Really motivating. I must see if I can get some material on Gerry Duffy. Sounds inspirational. Could help with my college work (goal setting and all that) plus the diet.

Sounds rather like you to be honest. Was waiting all day for that post yesterday but had an early night so it has been a good read to start the day. Really motivating. I must see if I can get some material on Gerry Duffy. Sounds inspirational. Could help with my college work (goal setting and all that) plus the diet.

I'm not so sure about that but thanks for the compliments. I have a long way to go and have yet to achieve something substantial. But my motto is 'thoughts become things'.

Definitely look him up. I think it could help you alright. No matter what the area of interest is, the same basic principles apply. He's a very practical guy and knows the value of hard work. As he says himself, 'its simple, but simple doesn't mean its easy'.

Very light week. Busy at work. Some stuff to do on the farm. Weight went up a little bit but nothing major, 1-2 pounds. Very tired tbh, maybe its the shorter evenings.

Friday 3rd October
    Horrible weather. I hit the turbo trainer for a session of intervals, 30 minutes or so. Did some weights immediately afterwards. 3x10 of bench presses and 3x10 of barbell curls.

Saturday 4th October
    Time for a session of hill repeats. Cereal bar for breakfast. No food and 750ml fluids on the bike. Split into individual parts below. A nice handy spin down to the climb. Did the session of repeats and it was pretty tough. Nice steady pace home afterwards.

Distance: 20.5km
    Av speed: 22.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 173m

Distance: 37.3km
    Av speed: 19.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1188m

Distance: 17.4km
    Av speed: 28.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 108m

Sunday 5th October
    Out for a spin with the club and tagged on a bit more. Protein shake for breakfast. One cereal bar on the bike with 750ml of fluids. Legs were a bit heavy from the previous day but being out in a group kept me going. Steady pace. Bonked a little towards the end.

Distance: 90.7km
    Av speed: 28.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 698m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I only discovered this, your making some serious progression on the bike J. Regarding Gerry Duffy, i had the pleasure of being the first person who bought a copy of his last book. I knew it was due out so took a detour on a trip from home via his sisters Tri shop in Mullingar.

She informed me he was en-route to the shop with a box of the new books that were due for release the following Thursday at its launch in Dublin. I hung around for few minutes and he arrived, gave him a while to get into shop and settle before going back in. His sister informed him i was looking for the new book and without hesitation he whipped me out a copy, asked if i wanted it signed(eh course please) and gave it to me free of charge.

I insisted in paying but he wouldn't here of it, he then spent the next half hour talking to me about my training, what i wanted to achieve longterm regarding running. As you said he genuinely listened to me and imparted some great advice. He is a gentleman in everyway. Sorry about the long winded post, hes one of my heros to.

Advertisement