Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Mellor wrote: »
    *cough* Jon Jones *cough*

Isnt he in for april 23rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just don't see it myself. If he fights in New York in April, that's a fairly quick turnaround for a title fight, and Jones will take at least a bit of damage against DC, who in my opinion has gone up half a level since they fought last. They'd of course love to get him on their biggest ever card but it relies a lot on luck whether they can put it together or not.

Also if Bader beats Rumble and becomes the number one contender, that's not a fight anyone wants to see. Wrestling is an effective tool in MMA and Bader and Jones are excellent at it, but it also happens to be boring as hell over 5 rounds and that's how the fight will play out IMO.

So I reckon to get Jones at 200, he'll have to hope Rumble wins and he'll have to beat DC and take little damage. The first is pretty safe but the second is highly doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

martyos121 wrote: »

Also if Bader beats Rumble and becomes the number one contender, that's not a fight anyone wants to see. Wrestling is an effective tool in MMA and Bader and Jones are excellent at it, but it also happens to be boring as hell over 5 rounds and that's how the fight will play out IMO.

Thats a fight we've seen before it didn't play out the way ya think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

https://www.twitch.tv/mightymouseufc125

Mighty Mouse giving his opinion on the Dillashaw Cruz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Is Jones v DC locked in for April? With Ronda abandoning plans to fight at UFC 200 I think the Jones/DC should get co-main behind McGregor. Thats a huuuuuge fight and deserves that spotlight in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Isnt he in for april 23rd?
    Nothing has been confirmed yet.
    No PPVs have been confirmed past McGregor v RDA
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Just don't see it myself. If he fights in New York in April...

Would be the large question mark I'm refering to New York. If it falls through, they could easily push it back 10 weeks.

Also, did anybody hear about Jones' brother last week...uhh ohh
    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/16/10779716/chandler-jones-patriots-synthetic-weed-race-police

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Nothing has been confirmed yet.
    No PPVs have been confirmed past McGregor v RDA

Would be the large question mark I'm refering to New York. If it falls through, they could easily push it back 10 weeks.

Also, did anybody hear about Jones' brother last week...uhh ohh
    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/16/10779716/chandler-jones-patriots-synthetic-weed-race-police

Have UFC events happened out of numerical order before?

eg. did it ever go 180, 182, 183, 181* due to a cancellation or something?

BOHtox wrote: »
    Have UFC events happened out of numerical order before?

eg. did it ever go 180, 182, 183, 181* due to a cancellation or something?

Not that I'm aware of. They have skipped numbers though. Both 151 and 176 were cancelled, and no event with those numbers ever took place.

Buy pushing it back 10 weeks, I was referring to moving it to UFC 200.
    If NYC goes ahead, it'll be in the Garden, UFC 198, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Kirby wrote: »
    https://www.twitch.tv/mightymouseufc125

Mighty Mouse giving his opinion on the Dillashaw Cruz fight.

MM vs Cruz could be interesting - He's come on a lot since they fought in 2011. I don't have much interest in Cruz fighting Faber or Assuncao.

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't think it's outrageous.

If he beats Silva he'd be on a 3 fight win streak which includes 2 wins against opponents in the top 10 (I know Silva isn't ranked due to being popped, but I don't think anyone would argue with calling him a top 10 fighter in that division) and have won 4 of his last 5 with the 1 defeat coming to Rockhold.

There's no real buzz for a Weidman rematch (and rightly so), Romero has just been popped, Jacare has just lost to Romero, Machida could do with taking a lot of time off, Kennedy is inactive, then it's Bisping.

I think Belfort gets the next shot due to Rockhold really wanting to avenge that loss, but a Bisping win over Silva should definitely have him in contention with the way that division is at the moment.

I'd like a Weidman rematch! Thought it was a great fight and very back and forth up until that stupid Weidman kick. I'd like Jacare to get the next shot - his Romero fight should be changed to an NC and he didn't lose that fight anyway imo. No interest in seeing Bisping or Vitor fight for the title, they're in the 5-10 bracket and don't last 2 rounds imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'd like a Weidman rematch! Thought it was a great fight and very back and forth up until that stupid Weidman kick. I'd like Jacare to get the next shot - his Romero fight should be changed to an NC and he didn't lose that fight anyway imo. No interest in seeing Bisping or Vitor fight for the title, they're in the 5-10 bracket and don't last 2 rounds imo.

It looks very likely it will be a rematch there seems to be rumblings of Jacare V Vitor is the route they are going to go with and Romero having been popped (obvs removed from rankings).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

So John Jones could be back fighting in 13 weeks judging by that tweet.
    I hope the "ring rust" only applies to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

So John Jones could be back fighting in 13 weeks judging by that tweet.
    I hope the "ring rust" only applies to injuries.

Tony Ferguson v Michael Johnson added to ufc197 strange booking considering they fought already MJ is coming off a loss and Tony Ferguson is on a 6 or 7 fight streak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Tony Ferguson v Michael Johnson added to ufc197 strange booking considering they fought already MJ is coming off a loss and Tony Ferguson is on a 6 or 7 fight streak

Ferguson could be trying to avenge his loss against Johnson from a few years back ?

That and maybe few matchups available for Ferguson

Ferguson could be trying to avenge his loss against Johnson from a few years back ?

That and maybe few matchups available for Ferguson

Alverez,pettis,khabib or Nate I'd of rathered any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Alverez,pettis,khabib or Nate I'd of rathered any of them.

Tony Ferguson was desperate to fight before March as his wife is about to have a child and Khabib isn't ready till April. Alvarez was the other option but he hurt his foot in the Pettis fight. Ferguson pitched the Johnson fight.

John Morgan tweeted pretty much that after the announcement.

Further down the line I'd love to see Nate v Tony, hopefully as the main event of a fight night so it's 5 rounds. Great fight both on the feet and on the ground.

Yeah Diaz Ferguson would be a good headliner for a fox card maybe it will be on ufc200 even,I think Diaz is better in most areas boxing and grappling especially ferguson is very unpredictable specially on the ground but nobody is subbing nate diaz with his bjj and sambo game,dont think he gets out boxed either if hes in shape.

I pity the person who has to fight khabib on the comeback

Dumb matchmaking for Ferguson, he's been taking sidesteps his last few fights. The way he performed against Barboza he should be getting a title shot imo, or at least a top 3 guy. Instead he's fighting someone coming off 2 losses. Might be Tony's fault for not pushing for the big fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I pity the person who has to fight khabib on the comeback
    [insert clubber lang] ah pidy da foo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holbrook is out if his fight v sage for undisclosed reasons and now sages fight will be contested at welterweight v Bryan Barbara, gutted because I had Holbrook to sub Sage, Barbara has a tko win over Joe ellenberger but he's nothing special. Padding records clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Has anyone noticed this on Naas road just before McDonalds ?
    D0b2lRq

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Has anyone noticed this on Naas road just before McDonalds ?
    D0b2lRq

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Northcutt v Holbrook is off.

They've given him Barberana now at 170 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Paully D wrote: »
    Northcutt v Holbrook is off.

They've given him Barberana now at 170 :rolleyes:

Northcutt won't even be fighting at that weight for the forseeable future. Should've just scrapped the fight altogether.

Free to air marketability is all that matters though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That_Guy wrote: »
    Northcutt won't even be fighting at that weight for the forseeable future. Should've just scrapped the fight altogether.

Free to air marketability is all that matters though. :rolleyes:

Sage said in the build up to the last fight that he was surprised he was fighting at 155 because he'd planned on moving to 170 and had talked to Dana about it and they plan was for him to fight at 170 in the new year.
    Apparently he'll only have to cut 5lbs to make 170 as he walks around at about 175 and doesn't like cutting weight because he's so young and wants to protect himself.

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/691400840557400069

No surprise here cain is made of glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/691400840557400069

No surprise here cain is made of glass

That division is a joke, Stipe getting a title shot is ridiculous.

Jones is going to run through that division like it's nothing.

Who would you give it to if not Stipe? It's a shallow division, but he's a cl;ear cut top 3 contender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Jones is going to run through that division like it's nothing.

What's ridiculous about him getting a title shot? I think he's the best of a bad bunch. Apart from Overeem there's literally no one else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement