Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Duffy Discussion Thread **May Contain Spoilers**

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

creeper1 wrote: »
    I'd say it is do or die for joe Duffy. The UFC may well drop him if he doesn't win this.

Or maybe a good performance ( fight of the night or something) may save him.

Who knows?

Not a chance they drop him. He has three first-round finishes and a entertaining fight against Poirier. The problem is that they'll lowball him on his next contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

He's not getting dropped, win or lose. If he leaves, it's because he's being offered more money elsewhere. I don't blame him for sticking it to the UFC for paying so poorly. They've intentionally given him poor opponents after Dustin so that they don't have to pay him. I really believe he can be a top 10 lightweight. Apparently he's came on leaps and bounds since the Poirier fight. I expect him to put away Reza. He's a level above.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creeper1

moneyman wrote: »
    He's not getting dropped, win or lose. If he leaves, it's because he's being offered more money elsewhere. .

I think, realistically, any move to another organisation would be a massive demotion.

Does anyone care about Bellator or one fc? Just a few hardcore fans I would have thought.

When their fighters "make it" they try to move to UFC. Eddy Alvarez being an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The UFC is the top of the game. But these guys are also do it for a career, not just for fun.
    If a move to Belator means earning twice as much, then it's not remotely a demotion

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah like one of the perks of being part of the most viewed league (applies to any sport) means you get the biggest and best sponsors. Since Reebok wrecked that, fighters have more monetary incentive to head to a different league. Sucks but completely understandable for any fighter.

• Advertisement

Nobody is watching the other promotions!

Cop on!

I'm sure you would get more money by drinking a coke at the post fight conference at UFC than you would wearing the logo on your shirt making your way into the ring at any other promotion.

UFC has an almost complete and total monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nobody is watching the other promotions!

Cop on!

I'm sure you would get more money by drinking a coke at the post fight conference at UFC than you would wearing the logo on your shirt making your way into the ring at any other promotion.

UFC has an almost complete and total monopoly.

Bellator regularly gets a million+ viewers.

If you drank a coke at your post fight interview you'd get fined, end of.

It's being strongly rumoured that Duffy is going to be fighting on the UFC 217 card in New York against James Vick. Banger of a fight if true. I'd favour Duffy. Vick will have a lot of height and reach on him though so hopefully that doesn't cause him too many problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's being strongly rumoured that Duffy is going to be fighting on the UFC 217 card in New York against James Vick. Banger of a fight if true. I'd favour Duffy. Vick will have a lot of height and reach on him though so hopefully that doesn't cause him too many problems.

I'd fancy Duffy to have the better hands and be better on the ground but Vick is insanely tall for the division, if he can use the range he'll be a handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Fight Night 120 in Norfolk no?

• Advertisement

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Fight Night 120 in Norfolk no?

It's been rumoured for either that or UFC 217 but James Vick recently posted about fighting in New York so it's looking like it's the 217 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm looking forward to seeing Joe back in the octagon either way. It's been too long. Hopefully he gets the W with a solid performance.

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/912227687283994624

Looks like Duffy/Vick is official for UFC 217. Should be some scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Nobody excited to see Duffy back in action on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

I definitely am looking forward to it . He is main event of the prelims, this going to be shown on BT? Of late I have been watching back the next morning as last few cards haven't been worth being wrecked all day Sunday for , but think I'll stay up for this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I'd say the majority of the forum is. Didn't even know this thread existed.

Haven't seen much of Vick but hoping Joe can get it done. Hoping to see some slick boxing exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I really enjoy watching him fight, seems like a really smart understated dude. Hoping he can make a big name for himself in the UFC, would be great to have himself and Conor (kind of opposites in personality) as our flagship fighters!

Vick is very tall so will have reach advantage but Duffy is such a great boxer I dont think it will matter too much.

I'd love a Duffy win by arm bar, I can see it happening if they end up on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Vick looks massive, and both have good records. Really looking forward to seeing this.

One of the only cards thats interested me for quite a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfUPovGUmUs

Joe seems in good spirits. Really looking forward to this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hopefully the bookies are correct. They have Joe 8/13 favourite tonight, with Vick 6/4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Poor enough performance from Joe but I thought it was a ****ty stoppage. He blocked the initial onslaught and then regained guard. Might not have made a difference though as he seemed to be struggling with Vick's size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

He looked like he just couldn't figure out how to get at Vick without getting hit himself in the 2nd round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

backspin. wrote: »
    He looked like he just couldn't figure out how to get at Vick without getting hit himself in the 2nd round.

vick was huge

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

backspin. wrote: »

vick was huge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Vick was very big, and Duffy looked good in the first, but he kind of invited his own demise in the second round, he was very defensive hardly any output and what he did throw was hesitant.

He gave vick every opportunity to move forward as he was throwing so little.

Hopefully some small adjustments is all that's needed I'd genuinely love for him to do well.

Anyone got a link to this fight? I searched YouTube but couldn't find anything.

I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Anyone got a link to this fight? I searched YouTube but couldn't find anything.

I missed it

Try mmacore

Advertisement