Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Duffy Discussion Thread **May Contain Spoilers**

Options
  • 07-01-2015 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

News broke today that “Irish” Joseph Duffy has signed a multi fight deal with the UFC. Although details are scarce, he is expected to debut in March or April for the promotion. The news was first reported by ex-Cage Warriors press manager Paul Dollery.

Duffy holds notable wins from back in 2010 over Norman Parke and Conor McGregor, who are both undefeated inside the UFC.

Read more: http://severemma.com/2015/01/irishman-joseph-duffy-signs-with-the-ufc/

Great news. I think he'll actually do very well in the UFC. He definitely has the talent to be taken seriously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Thanks for posting

Well deserved for Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Who will replace him on liveline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

This is fantastic news. Easily my favourite fighter outside of the UFC. Now my favourite fighter full stop.

Congrats to him, his coaches and family.

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Nice guy,come across much better than McGregor. Hope he does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just saw that. Delighted for him!

• Advertisement

I'd love to see him at FW. And not because of McGregor before anyone says it.

But is it a possibility?? Does he have any FW fights??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    Delighted for him,finally someone Irish who I can really get behind.

So you find it hard to get behind any of the other 5 Irish fighters currently competing in the UFC?

Ah sometimes a bit they wouldn't be my cup of tea,Duffy was born in Donegal like myself and is a gentleman,no bull to put up with Joseph.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would have a hard time getting behind Neil Seery!! Or Paddy Holohann!! Even a Donegal man ;-)

In fairness yeah Duffy seems pure sound and very down to earth in any interview I've ever seen him do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭xtal191

I agree, I can understand people not liking McGregor but Holohan and Seery always come across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

In fairness he is based out of london, just happens to be born in donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I am delighted for him. I saw his last fight on Channel 4 and he seemed like a very decent and genuine guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

He is a beast, and could definitely cause problems for a lot of lads in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

His record is great and he won a lot of boxing matches in his break from MMA as well. I haven't really followed the guy but he does look promising. My only worry is how he lost in the TUF elimination rounds very quickly against a guy who went nowhere in TUF or the UFC. Fingers crossed he's a success.

That's a brilliant video btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

He had a strong ground game with a japanese jiu jitsu, add that with the skills he clearly has going 9-0 as a pro boxer would suggest he'll be a force to be reckoned with. His knee KO in his last fight was just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hes being billed as the last guy to beat McGregor & Parke, obviously thats true but its not the way he wants to be known. Itl be hard to shake but hopefully he manages it hes a really sound bloke and a great fighter. It was only a matter of time, taught he would have got to win the belt at CW first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Beersmith

God its not a bad way to be known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ASOT wrote: »
    Hes being billed as the last guy to beat McGregor & Parke, obviously thats true but its not the way he wants to be known.

In fairness, not a lot of people have heard of him outside of the US I'd say. Billing him as the last one to beat McGregor gets people interested in what he has to offer.

It's not a bad thing in my opinion. Gets him some strong publicity before his first fight under the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I never said it was a bad thing lads but hes already came out and said way before this thats not how he wants to be known thats all im saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AndThatsAFact

Looked super in the cage tonight a great TKO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Did he just start training with Firas? Or was he training there a while?

Good fighter and seems like a sound/down to earth chap... unlike some other Irish fighters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Seriously impressive from Duffy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8diS5KuKMc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Did he just start training with Firas? Or was he training there a while?

Good fighter and seems like a sound/down to earth chap... unlike some other Irish fighters...

He start training at Tristar specifically for his UFC debut afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Great win by Duffy, he will be a big force if they move him to 145, his striking is elite level and could cause problems for that whole division. He is the most exciting prospect we have in the ufc apart from the obvious!! Really hope to see him fight twice more this year

Ariel Helwani was really talking him up on the MMA hour Monday. He also mentioned Duffy's low key approach as compared to the rest of the Irish fighters! That's something that Firas also commented on, saying his humble demeanor really fitted in with his gym's ethos.

Anyway, as a debut it couldn't have gone much better for him. He comes across as such a cool guy so I really hope he gets a good run and some recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Petermc83

The timing could work great for him now.. im wondering will he be added to the 189 card in July?

He looked calculated, calm and very effective at the weekend.. granted, the opposition wasn't too great but you can only beat whats put in front of you...and he was hugely impressive at doing that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Had a tenner on Duffy to win by KO at the weekend there, as soon as he landed the first left hand I was already counting my money.

I could tell straight away Lindsey wouldn't be able to deal with the power. Very impressive, should be fighting higher level guys, he could probably fight tomorrow because he barely took a punch.

Advertisement