Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Duffy Discussion Thread **May Contain Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

JJayoo wrote: »
    I could imagine the fact that the UFCs biggest star,McG, doesn't like him also plays a part in how he's treated by the UFC

Does he really not like him? I remember an interview where McGregor was taking the piss calling him Welsh Joe and Canadian Joe but I thought that was just the usual trash talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I could imagine the fact that the UFCs biggest star,McG, doesn't like him also plays a part in how he's treated by the UFC
    I dont think McGregor has any ill will towards him. A bit of harmless slagging but when he spoke about one of his fights he gave a fairly honest and fair opinion of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thegamechanger

Any word on his comeback fight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

London in march

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thegamechanger

Does he have an opponent?

• Advertisement

Reza madadi, should be a handy fight for him hes levels ahead of him in striking terms anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Mellor wrote: »
    I dont think McGregor has any ill will towards him. A bit of harmless slagging but when he spoke about one of his fights he gave a fairly honest and fair opinion of it.
    which fight? last I saw of him he really need to improve his wrestling/TD defense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Definitely not. They used to chat on twitter a bit after he beat McGregor and moved to boxing, it was always friendly. I think Conor rebutted him a bit when Joe said he'd step in to replace Aldo back when his nickname was "The last guy to beat McGregor" but it wasn't really a dig. Duffy seems to be a fan, from pics of training at Tristar he's often wearing the McGregor fight kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What about the video of McG saying the Joe is only trying to cash in on his fame by suddenly being 'Irish' and that he's more like Welsh and Canadian at this stage.

Didnt Duffy have an Irish tattoo on his back when he beat Conor? or Donegal one even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What about the video of McG saying the Joe is only trying to cash in on his fame by suddenly being 'Irish' and that he's more like Welsh and Canadian at this stage.

I take everything Mac says to the cameras as a bit of banter/trash talk. I dont treat it as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Gamebred wrote: »
    Didnt Duffy have an Irish tattoo on his back when he beat Conor? or Donegal one even.

fairly sure its donegal written in irish!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Depp wrote: »
    fairly sure its donegal written in irish!

Yeah that's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

Joe's from Donegal. His family emigrated to Wales when he was 11 or 12 but he's always considered himself Irish. McGregor's just attacking him over training at camps outside Ireland in the UK and now Canada. Pretty similar to the way in which he criticised Dos Anjos for being Brazilian and training at an American camp. He calls them both disloyal. I'm sure he doesn't really believe that; I'd imagine it's just an attempt to trash talk and get under their skin. If he does believe that then its an idiotic point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Fighting Madadi at UFC London.

Both guys need a win but Duffy should have to much for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Lukker- wrote: »
    Both guys need a win but Duffy should have to much for him.

Agreed.

He needs to make a statement here if he wants to be taken seriously at all when it comes to contract negotiations.

He needs to bring out a handbag at weigh-ins hrow it at him, then hit him with a never before seen submission and dub it the handbag

Yeah he needs to make a statement either in his performance or the build up to the fight, or even both. He should get a good bit of media time fight week, needs to use it to get his name out there even more.

Cant see him having too much trouble in the fight itself, should be better everywhere.

• Advertisement

Turns down a fight in Belfast to fight in London? I know he is fighting a better opponent but he lost a big chance there to gain some home support.

Turns down a fight in Belfast to fight in London? I know he is fighting a better opponent but he lost a big chance there to gain some home support.

We don't even know if this is a better opponent. Hope he doesn't end up regretting not taking the Belfast fight.

He played the situation as well as he could. There'll be a good chance to impress in London, there will be plenty of Irish at the event.

He turned that fight down because it wasn't a big enough fight but as far as I know he has only taken this fight because the UFC wasn't going to budge and give him the kind of opponent he was looking for. I'd imagine it's because they don't want to give him any additional bargaining power if he beat a bigger name as it's the last fight on his current contract. He's now looking at testing free agency. I'm really hoping he re-signs with the UFC though. He's a really exciting fighter.

I could easily see him as a top contender. His boxing and BJJ is excellent. He just needs to improve his wrestling, which I'm sure he has done since the Poirier fight. Tristar is the perfect place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

His last fight was a 24 second TKO but it was a nobody. Reza is a pretty well known personality because he's mad as a box of spiders so if Joe can beat the breaks off him and get a finish he is in a decent position, for a new contract.

The fight they offered him for Belfast was against guy with a pretty ****e record and no UFC fights, this is a slightly higher profile fight and lets him meet his contract obligations and explore free agency.

The fight they offered him for Belfast was against guy with a pretty ****e record and no UFC fights, this is a slightly higher profile fight and lets him meet his contract obligations and explore free agency.

Really? I wasn't aware that we knew who he was offered for Belfast. Do you know the name by chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Really? I wasn't aware that we knew who he was offered for Belfast. Do you know the name by chance?

He didn't name him but Joe said he had to google your man and the fight offered him nothing to gain.

A good interview here with Joe in Tristar
    https://youtu.be/4SqBmUL9Qlc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

A good interview here with Joe in Tristar
    https://youtu.be/4SqBmUL9Qlc

Really enjoyed this video of Joe. Such a down to earth chill dude.

He deserves every success and hopefully staying with Tristar full time will award him this.

He needs more exposure for sure, we do not see enough of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creeper1

I'd say it is do or die for joe Duffy. The UFC may well drop him if he doesn't win this.

Or maybe a good performance ( fight of the night or something) may save him.

Who knows?

Advertisement