Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Thanks for this, just got the acceptance emails for the course I applied to, will be starting back part time in september with the govt paying 90% of my fees. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Has anyone that has applied for a course in UL had any movement on their application yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still haven't been able to get a copy of my results. QQI said Carlow would have to issue them directly, and i've had no reply from Carlow. Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Kiith wrote: »
    I still haven't been able to get a copy of my results. QQI said Carlow would have to issue them directly, and i've had no reply from Carlow. Really annoying.

Have you tried contacting them on social media?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Emailed them again there, and there's a 15 day turnaround apparently. Will see what turns up over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Hi Guys,

I have been offered a place by IT Sligo for a level 8 Certificate in Medical Technologies Regulatory Affairs & Quality. I am waiting to hear back from Innopharma about their Higher Diploma in BioPharmaceutical and Medical Device Manufacturing. Has anyone any experience on either of these two courses? Finding it hard to decide on which one to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you need to be working in MedTech or have a Science degree to apply for those?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Got accepted on the course that I really wanted to do, so happy days! A little worries about the workload but we will see how it goes!

Does anyone know when fees are due for the courses?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭This is it

tolow wrote: »
    Got accepted on the course that I really wanted to do, so happy days! A little worries about the workload but we will see how it goes!

Thanks

Just before you start I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woofwoof123

Do you need to be working in MedTech or have a Science degree to apply for those?

As far as I‘m aware you need to have a Level 7 science/engineering degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

tolow wrote: »

Thanks

Well done. As far as I can remember when I registered and got accepted i had to pay the 10% there and then. Think it said it’s dependant on if I’m selected for springboard grant. Think one of the lads in my course paid 10% (500). He was then told he was selected for springboard but later on during Semester 1 College turned around and said it was a mistake and wanted full fee. He argued it to the hilt, but college didn’t budge and he had to eventually pay full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

mad m wrote: »
    Well done. As far as I can remember when I registered and got accepted i had to pay the 10% there and then. Think it said it’s dependant on if I’m selected for springboard grant. Think one of the lads in my course paid 10% (500). He was then told he was selected for springboard but later on during Semester 1 College turned around and said it was a mistake and wanted full fee. He argued it to the hilt, but college didn’t budge and he had to eventually pay full price.

I assume however that if you apply through the Springboard website and get accepted you either pay nothing or the 10%.

I don't see how they can claim you've to pay full fees when you applied and got accepted through their Springboard admissions? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Applied for the Project Management Post Grad UCC course, has been 'pending' for a week. Has anyone applied for this & been accepted yet please?

Thanks,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I have once course in mind, and applied for some similar ones as a back up. I have a conditional offer for my first choice pending a aptitude test. Which I will be sent next week.

Problem is, I have been offered a place on both of my backup courses. I have already rejected one offer. But I worried what will happen with the aptitide test.

Can I accept my back up and if things pan out with my first choice withdraw from the back up and accept my first choice.

Or if I accept one, thats it. I am stuck with the one I accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I have once course in mind, and applied for some similar ones as a back up. I have a conditional offer for my first choice pending a aptitude test. Which I will be sent next week.

Problem is, I have been offered a place on both of my backup courses. I have already rejected one offer. But I worried what will happen with the aptitide test.

Can I accept my back up and if things pan out with my first choice withdraw from the back up and accept my first choice.

As far as I know, if you accept one on springboard all your other offers/applications are rejected/cancelled

If you accept one it instantly cancels the rest automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Thanks to the OP for posting this, I'd have missed it otherwise. Accepted a place on a UCD course, started yesterday. First time back in education since 1998!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

unklerosco wrote: »
    Thanks to the OP for posting this, I'd have missed it otherwise. Accepted a place on a UCD course, started yesterday. First time back in education since 1998!

Congratulations.

Enjoy your regression back into being a teenager. :)

It's a one and done situation.

What acceptance date is on the one you've been offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

Was this the computer science in UCD by any chance?

If not, does anyone know how long it takes to either be accepted/rejected of an application?
    I applied at the end of June, and haven't heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    DCU are hosting a webinar for anyone interested in applying for their courses. It's on this Thursday 16th July at 7pm. Details here.

This was informative enough. Seems they have very few places to offer on each course, somewhere between 20-25 for each of the Postgrad stuff. They said they have more applications than they have places. Still not heard anything back on my application for the course I want with them. It's my number 1 choice at this stage and am thinking if I don't get it, I'll probably give the other courses a miss.

• Advertisement

Kamu wrote: »
    I assume however that if you apply through the Springboard website and get accepted you either pay nothing or the 10%.

I don't see how they can claim you've to pay full fees when you applied and got accepted through their Springboard admissions? :confused:

Yeah, that was exactly his argument but it happened. They gave him a choice, either the 10% back or pay in full ,think springboard funding was over subscribed and some type of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

py wrote: »
    This was informative enough. Seems they have very few places to offer on each course, somewhere between 20-25 for each of the Postgrad stuff. They said they have more applications than they have places. Still not heard anything back on my application for the course I want with them. It's my number 1 choice at this stage and am thinking if I don't get it, I'll probably give the other courses a miss.

I'm in the same boat. I got accepted for Sligo but the time for acceptance ran out today so I only have DCU left. Which went into pending on Monday and still no word

In final Semester. It’s been quite a journey, long nights, nearly every weekend head into a laptop. Assignments. Group projects.....the list goes on but can’t believe I’m nearly done.

Good luck with it

mad m wrote: »
    In final Semester. It’s been quite a journey, long nights, nearly every weekend head into a laptop. Assignments. Group projects.....the list goes on but can’t believe I’m nearly done.

Good luck with it

That's it. I worked and studied part time before but now I've a kid and a lot more work on so things are going to be much difficult, but I am looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Lolamontez

Does anyone know if someone who has had hours reduced to 24hrs a week due to covid as of mid April and since then doing the Xs and Os where working 3 out of the 5 days would be entitled to apply for a springboard course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Did one of these in 2014 and secured a level 9 from it, well worth it, learned a fair bit but most importantly it boosted my CV big time despite already having a degree.

Lolamontez wrote: »
    Does anyone know if someone who has had hours reduced to 24hrs a week due to covid as of mid April and since then doing the Xs and Os where working 3 out of the 5 days would be entitled to apply for a springboard course?

Employed people can apply to some courses regardless of Covid.

I would advise you to think of what you'd like to do and let the college themselves work the complications out.

I had an issue with my eligibility with a course in Athlone and I was pointed in the right direction. And the thing is, there was no way I would have figured out that issue myself given its very technical complication.

So apply away and work from there. All the registration departments I've worked with have been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Applied for the Project Management Post Grad UCC course, has been 'pending' for a week. Has anyone applied for this & been accepted yet please?

Thanks,
    Pa

I applied for a different business level 9 in UCC last week (7th) and my application was accepted this afternoon. Having seen others being accepted much quicker on here I was worried it was a rejection I was waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

Got accepted to TUD and I had to accept by today (a week) which I did.
    Happy out, the college is further out then I would like but I'm hoping they do most things online.

I will get in contact with them to see if there is anything I can do to get prepared before starting.

This will be my second Springboard course, I completed my first in June this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Finished my Springboard course in May, I done the Level 7 in Cyber Security + Digital Forensics in Blanchardstown. As far as I know, the fee's were 3750, but with springboard the total came to 400 euro for me.

It was part time, 3 days a week on site, 6-10PM. Luckily, I work very close to the campus so I was blessed with having a short trip.

The workload was a lot in the majority of the subjects, and that was agreed with all in the class, not just me :pac:

The college itself was extremely unorganised with allocation of lecturers for subjects, etc. I wont get into the ins and outs, but it left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths, and put us under even more pressure with certain subjects starting late, and trying to fit in even more deadlines in a shorter amount of time.

The course content itself was brilliant, and the lecturers for the most part were extremely knowledgeable in the field (as youd expect).

Best of luck to everyone starting this year, its a brilliant idea!

Advertisement