Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    My Mountfield SP530 is about to give up the ghost. Doesn't owe me anything, probably have it 15 years. Replaced blades and a few other bits over the years, but engine is now bad and deck is rusting.
    Have about 400 square metres of lawn.
    Option 1 - Should I just go to B&Q and buy the modern version of an SP530?
    Option 2 - Saw a couple of machines in Lidl today. Both Gardenpro Powerplus, one with a 125cc engine and 460mm cutting width, the other with a 140cc engine and 510mm cutting width. Both B&G engines and self propelled. Second one looks like the same spec as the existing Mountfield.

Doing a bit of research in shops.
    Woodies have a Pro-Lawn, 51cm cutting width, Hyundai engine, self-propelled, electric starter for €320. Seems an excellent price for that spec. Anyone have any experience of this model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭deezell

Absolutely cracking advice and information.

........Replacing the shaft is a deck off job I take it?

Thanks again for your help.
    It's not a huge job. It could be done in situ once you remove top pulleys and tensionerframe if present. The shaft carrier is just bolted to the deck, but I'm surprised it bent so easily, more surprised you could straighten it in place, but then again, it's not manufactured to commercial levels of strength, a really tough shaft might have cracked the casing, so that's a positive. It might re-bend more easily if it's struck again, but you're fine for now, you can browse the parts and see what a replacement will cost, not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

I have a Castelgarden TCR 102 Hydro ride on mower.

Yesterday I was using it to try & cut long grass ... way too long, as I found out. Lazy bugger should have used the strimmer first...

Anyway, after about the 4th time of unblocking the chute, I decided it wasn't an option. But when i went to start up the mower to drive it back to the shed, it wouldn't start - all I get is a high pitch whine & nothing turns.

That's something I've had before, but normally rolling the mower forward a few inches & trying again fixes it... but not this time. I checked the battery & it is fine, the blades appear to move freely, so they are not stuck.

I'm hoping to avoid a visit to the shop, if at all possible. Any ideas of what I can check for?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Curious to people’s opinions on weibang lawnmowers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

deezell wrote: »
    Very strange that both wheels are locked to the shaft. They should turn forward freely even with the belt engaged with the engine not running. Heres a link to an exploded view. You can see the rachet pinions on either end of the drive shaft, and the rachet pin. It's not difficult to examine this, wheels are easily removed.

https://ersatzteil-shop24.de/bilder/zeichnungen/ggp_o_st/2013-2016/IPL_Castelgarden_XS_55_BVWE4_294557523-C16_16_EN.pdf

The only thing that could lock the freewheel would be if the rachet pins (30) on page 2 were rusted into their holes on the transmission shaft (21). These pins need to slide up and down in the shaft hole when the pinion gear is overrunning the shaft, otherwise they will stick
    against the inner rachet profile on the pinions.

Forgot to reply, thanks, you were spot on with the pins sticking. All they needed was a clean and put back in and all is good again.

• Advertisement

tombrown wrote: »
    I have a Castelgarden TCR 102 Hydro ride on mower.

Yesterday I was using it to try & cut long grass ... way too long, as I found out. Lazy bugger should have used the strimmer first...

Anyway, after about the 4th time of unblocking the chute, I decided it wasn't an option. But when i went to start up the mower to drive it back to the shed, it wouldn't start - all I get is a high pitch whine & nothing turns.

That's something I've had before, but normally rolling the mower forward a few inches & trying again fixes it... but not this time. I checked the battery & it is fine, the blades appear to move freely, so they are not stuck.

I'm hoping to avoid a visit to the shop, if at all possible. Any ideas of what I can check for?

Sounds like the stater bendix gear is not engaging the engine ring gear, so the motor is just spinning. Is the whine a motor spinning sound? Or is it more like a strained sound of a stalled motor which can't turn? Does it make a click or a slight clunk from the starter when you turn the key? If the motor is spinning, the bendix gear teeth might be stripped, they wear over time. Fiddly repair, but a new starter not required.
    If on the other hand, the motor is stalling, this can be caused by a weak battery, or poor contacts in the electrical circuit. Try lifting the bonnet, and rotating the engine by hand, press your hands on the top filter grille and give it a quarter turn past the tightest point, then try the starter.
    Sometimes a loose battery negative connection at the battery or on the chassis will cause a whistle from the controller when you attempt to start. Check battery negative at the battery end and to the mower chassis.

Sounds like the stater bendix gear is not engaging the engine ring gear, so the motor is just spinning. Is the whine a motor spinning sound? Or is it more like a strained sound of a stalled motor which can't turn? Does it make a click or a slight clunk from the starter when you turn the key? If the motor is spinning, the bendix gear teeth might be stripped, they wear over time. Fiddly repair, but a new starter not required.
    If on the other hand, the motor is stalling, this can be caused by a weak battery, or poor contacts in the electrical circuit. Try lifting the bonnet, and rotating the engine by hand, press your hands on the top filter grille and give it a quarter turn past the tightest point, then try the starter.
    Sometimes a loose battery negative connection at the battery or on the chassis will cause a whistle from the controller when you attempt to start. Check battery negative at the battery end and to the mower chassis.
    Its not turning at all. I cant turn the engine - its like it has seized up. I checked my oil levels & they are fine. Is that the motor completely fecked?

tombrown wrote: »
    Its not turning at all. I cant turn the engine - its like it has seized up. I checked my oil levels & they are fine. Is that the motor completely fecked?

Ah, long grass wrapped around the engine pulley underneath.

Ah, long grass wrapped around the engine pulley underneath.
    Thank you.

I really hope that is it, as I can fix it myself. I'm home alone this weekend, so cant tip the mower up to check (it needs two of us to do that), but will do so tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

Hello All

I have around 1000m2 of a new garden to look after and not a huge amount of money to spend on a lawnmower right now. I'm looking at the two below to so me for a year or two before selling on and going ride-on or robot. Which would be the better buy for reliability, access to parts etc? They're both pretty much the same price.

https://www.macblair.com/landscaping-garden/garden-equipment/lawn-mowers/al-ko-easy-163cc-4in1-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-510mm.html

https://www.einhell.co.uk/shop/en-uk/gc-pm-56-s-hw.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hi all,

I'm currently using a Statesman-branded MTD mower. Not sure of the model number, but I've attached a picture. It's an older machine, but still does the job.

Does anyone know where I could get replacement chute/chute parts for this machine? The rubber holding the two chute pieces together is cracking and failing. There's also a small hole in the lower plastic piece near the blade. I've had a look online, but can only see places in the States looking for crazy money (and that's pre shipping!).

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently using a Statesman-branded MTD mower. Not sure of the model number, but I've attached a picture. It's an older machine, but still does the job.

Does anyone know where I could get replacement chute/chute parts for this machine? The rubber holding the two chute pieces together is cracking and failing. There's also a small hole in the lower plastic piece near the blade. I've had a look online, but can only see places in the States looking for crazy money (and that's pre shipping!).

Unless you can find something like this withdrawn ad, but I reckon you just need to improvise a repair, pvc piping, black silicon sealant, some gorilla 2 part weld glue etc.
    http://www.adverts.ie/11369809

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hi all,

Fibre glass repair the hole.....maybe cable ties or rubber bonnett catcher for hold two chutes together

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My ride on has died on me ,had it 14yrs, it was second hand when i got it,always managed to repair it myself to keep it going, but this time....
    suddenly stopped while cutting ,no drive,belts and pulleys moving, then i seen this..
    IMG_1071 1.JPG
    Found the broken bit on the grass.

IMG_1069 3.JPG
    This bit also.

IMG_1073 2.JPG

This bit i also found second picture, think it comes off a mechanism attached round chain wheel this is loose( picture 3), think this is cause of gear lever pull snapping, now if i can detach it might be able to get it welded, now its the mechanism thingy, don't know how to fix this or what it does, think it might attached to a spring in the back, hard to see and get too.

IMG_1074 4.JPG

Looks like an Efco machine from that era, 2001 or thereabouts. Is it a manual transmission, hydrostatic or belt variable speed? Is that broken part connected to a speed/ gear select lever. The second plate looks like it's spigot coupled into the track of the broken plate. Very hard to find diagrams without a make or model reference. Though the engine/ cut width on the side is a clue. There's a battered label visible under the seat, might be something legible on it. Deck looks wrecked, so I wouldn't be spending much in it.

523130.jpg

'Tis alright, Efco, AGS, Oleo Mac, Herkules also. H usually means Hydroststic.
    This image from an old ad.

Looks like an Efco machine from that era, 2001 or thereabouts. Is it a manual transmission, hydrostatic or belt variable speed? Is that broken part connected to a speed/ gear select lever. The second plate looks like it's spigot coupled into the track of the broken plate. Very hard to find diagrams without a make or model reference. Though the engine/ cut width on the side is a clue. There's a battered label visible under the seat, might be something legible on it. Deck looks wrecked, so I wouldn't be spending much in it.

Taken it apart and found more damage,
    EE14DFF5-03B2-4CD0-9DB9-AECEB297861E 1a.jpg

Model
    $_107.JPG (taken from picture of one you posted,same details on my one,but label damaged)

This rod connects to that broken bit with 2 bolts to attach, found broken spring too , not sure were spring will go, there is another spring at end of rod.IMG_1097 1b.JPG
    Thats the one you posted in the picture alright., the deck has been repair several times,could get the welding done at no cost(if it can be done) ,not sure how the rod operates and the spring?

That's the brake rod, the other bits look like part of the caliper and the brake pad. The broken slot I think accommodates the little side handbrake lever, when you pull it up it would lock handbrake on, but allow the pedal to retract along the slot. It's a mess alright. Btw, when working on any of these mowers, it's handy to 2 person tip then upright onto the bag frame, just make sure petrol is turned off or low, and battery is our.

That's the brake rod, the other bits look like part of the caliper and the brake pad. The broken slot I think accommodates the little side handbrake lever, when you pull it up it would lock handbrake on, but allow the pedal to retract along the slot. It's a mess alright. Btw, when working on any of these mowers, it's handy to 2 person tip then upright onto the bag frame, just make sure petrol is turned off or low, and battery is our.

Thanks ,could do with a diagram how that rod and spring attaches.

This is the best list is Efco diagrams I can find, but there's no 12.5/102 Varian from pre 2000 on the list.
    https://www.motoruf.com/n/partslists.html?id=632246

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I've seen it mentioned a few times, but is anyone using the Toro Timemaster?
    I saw a few clips on YouTube and thought it was a USA only mower.

Looks like a savage mower, i live on a 3/4 acre site , of which 3/4 is grass.

Long shot ,if anyone has a ride on with brake rod setup like this,could you take a photo it, to see were that broken spring connects,i am assuming the spring is part of it has i found it near by.
    IMG_1097 1b.JPG
    (see a few post back for more details)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Hi all, I've learned a lot from reading this thread, thanks to the very many posters who have contributed. I have a feeling my current push lawnmower is near the end of it's time (just over 10 years) so am in the market for a new one.
    My main criteria are
    1. Self propelled (we have around 600m2 of lawn to cut)
    2. I'm not completely stuck on whether it has to be petrol - are there decent battery versions for this size lawn?
    3. Max budget of around 500 to 600.
    4. Mulching is not important as I aim to collect the cuttings
    5. Is aluminium worth the premium (it seems to cost on average 20% for an aluminium deck vs steel)
    6. I would like a width of at least 51cm but the lawn has slopes so I don't want something too heavy - the lighter the better
    7. I like the idea of push button start versus pull rope - is it a proven technology yet? Reason I ask is my current lawnmower has been a bit flaky of late with the pull rope.

I've had a look around and found the following list which meet the main criteria. I'd appreciate if I could get some views on which is best or if you know of any other offers which might offer a better alternative. I like the look of the ProPlus one but unfortunately it is out of stock currently. I just focussed on petrol lawnmowers for now but if battery lawnmowers are up to tackling a lawn of this size I would consider these as well.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Petrol-Lawnmowers/Webb-Pro-21-Self--Propelled-Rotary-Lawnmower-1799600
    Pros - Good price, powerful engine, wide cut
    Cons - Steel deck, unsure what the weight is

https://www.woodies.ie/lawn-garden/garden-powertools/lawnmowers/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-honda-petrol-lawnmower-1168039
    Pros - Top end price but seems reasonable for a Honda which seem to rate very highly for engines , wide cut
    Cons - Presumably steel deck, unsure what the weight is, very little spec detail on woodies website

https://www.raygrahams.com/products/149415-proplus-56cm-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-with-briggs-stratton-motor.aspx
    Pros - Widest cut, aluminium deck, largest capacity, decent engine
    Cons - Out of stock currently - no idea when it might be back

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Lawnmower-Victor-21%22-ALU-DECK-S-DRIVE/9104467
    Pros - much the same as the above ProPlus one
    Cons - Costs €140 more than the above ProPlus one!

https://mower.ie/product/toro-29732-self-propelled-lawnmower
    Pros - same engine as above ProPlus one, weight is good
    Cons - Steel deck and yet costs more than the ProPlus one

https://www.topline.ie/garden-outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/lawnmowers/electric-lawnmowers/world/21-petrol-aluminium-deck-self-propelled-drive-mower
    Pros - much the same as the above ProPlus one, just slightly narrower cut width
    Cons - Never heard of the brand but the engine is B&S so is that the most important thing?

I've seen it mentioned a few times, but is anyone using the Toro Timemaster?
    I saw a few clips on YouTube and thought it was a USA only mower.

Looks like a savage mower, i live on a 3/4 acre site , of which 3/4 is grass.

That would be a good size mower for your garden without going for a ride on. Some users have posted here in the past, very happy iirc, some critics too, though not necessarily users. Some complaints over bag size, but bag is as big as any walk behind, it just fills quicker. There's pull start and electric start options. A few used ones from time to time, good prices in NI also.
    Use the thread search to discover comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi All

Hoping someone can advise here - my brother had some version of this honda before and it was a really good mower. he broke the powerdrive and traded it in I think. A Friend of mine is looking at picking up one second hand

seems to be a few around - any thoughts or things he should look out for?

I know these had an independent blade clutch and power drive

I was juts telling im that these were a great mower and prob still are but didn't know anything about if you were buying a used one

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Hi all, .....
    .......https://www.raygrahams.com/products/149415-proplus-56cm-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-with-briggs-stratton-motor.aspx
    Cons - Out of stock,
    With the exception of the Toro, all those brands are fairly generic machines, you'll notice quite a bit of commonality of parts. Next to the engine and sturdyness of the deck, wheels and drive would be the most important consideration. Not much point in putting 40+Kg of mower on thin plastic wheels without bearings. If you have any kind of serious slopes, especially banks where you travel laterally, this is a real test of wheels, and you could be looking for replacements within years if they're flimsy.
    I've seen that Proplus in Chadwicks, a fairly hefty and basic machine, it's also available around a few other stores if you Google; http://www.linwood.ie/landscaping-and-garden/proplus-56cm-sp-lawnmower-bs

Top brand names needn't cost more, I tyre kicked this HUSQVARNA LC 253S when out shopping, its has a sturdy composite deck, Decent B&S engine and quite solid wheels, it's selling in places for €515. At only slightly over 30 Kg, it's very maneuverable. I was tempted, but was looking for electric start.
    On that subject, the new generation electric start engines use a plug in lithium battery like a power tool, fast and easy to recharge indoors, with a 4 bar charge indicator.
    Electric start in combination with a 21"alloy deck narrows the field, the Cobra MX515SPBI with this and variable speed comes closest, but their 22" M56SPB pull start steel deck mower at €525 is well priced compared to generic brands.
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product-category/petrol-lawnmowers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭blackbox

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Hi all, I've learned a lot from reading this thread, thanks to the very many posters who have contributed. I have a feeling my current push lawnmower is near the end of it's time (just over 10 years) so am in the market for a new one.
    My main criteria are
    1. Self propelled (we have around 600m2 of lawn to cut)
    2. I'm not completely stuck on whether it has to be petrol - are there decent battery versions for this size lawn?
    3. Max budget of around 500 to 600.
    4. Mulching is not important as I aim to collect the cuttings
    5. Is aluminium worth the premium (it seems to cost on average 20% for an aluminium deck vs steel)
    6. I would like a width of at least 51cm but the lawn has slopes so I don't want something too heavy - the lighter the better
    7. I like the idea of push button start versus pull rope - is it a proven technology yet? Reason I ask is my current lawnmower has been a bit flaky of late with the pull rope.

I've had a look around and found the following list which meet the main criteria. I'd appreciate if I could get some views on which is best or if you know of any other offers which might offer a better alternative. I like the look of the ProPlus one but unfortunately it is out of stock currently. I just focussed on petrol lawnmowers for now but if battery lawnmowers are up to tackling a lawn of this size I would consider these as well.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Petrol-Lawnmowers/Webb-Pro-21-Self--Propelled-Rotary-Lawnmower-1799600
    Pros - Good price, powerful engine, wide cut
    Cons - Steel deck, unsure what the weight is

https://www.woodies.ie/lawn-garden/garden-powertools/lawnmowers/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-honda-petrol-lawnmower-1168039
    Pros - Top end price but seems reasonable for a Honda which seem to rate very highly for engines , wide cut
    Cons - Presumably steel deck, unsure what the weight is, very little spec detail on woodies website

https://www.raygrahams.com/products/149415-proplus-56cm-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-with-briggs-stratton-motor.aspx
    Cons - Out of stock currently - no idea when it might be back

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Lawnmower-Victor-21%22-ALU-DECK-S-DRIVE/9104467
    Pros - much the same as the above ProPlus one
    Cons - Costs €140 more than the above ProPlus one!

https://mower.ie/product/toro-29732-self-propelled-lawnmower
    Pros - same engine as above ProPlus one, weight is good
    Cons - Steel deck and yet costs more than the ProPlus one

https://www.topline.ie/garden-outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/lawnmowers/electric-lawnmowers/world/21-petrol-aluminium-deck-self-propelled-drive-mower
    Pros - much the same as the above ProPlus one, just slightly narrower cut width
    Cons - Never heard of the brand but the engine is B&S so is that the most important thing?

I had similar requirements to yourself so I went with a Husqvarna LC353V.

I steer clear of steel decks because that is usually the first thing to fail.
    I find variable speed very useful - worth the extra cost for me.
    This was the lightest good quality mower for its size - I still find it quite heavy. Hondas were heavier.
    It is very easy to start.
    Very good collection. If you want to mulch you need to buy a kit.

I have it about a year and no issues yet.

The LC353V runs to €650 here, but I see a lot of discounted stock in the UK, as little as £419, but sadly mostly out of stock or not delivering here due to Courier Covid Costs. Having said that, there might be value in the North. I notice Clarkes of Cavan advertising this, no price on the site and walk in only, so maybe they have a stash of these at prices that might upset distributors. Husqvarna notorious for rigid pricing, but it's a different world right now.
    https://www.clarkesofcavan.ie/shop/gardening-groundcare/lawnmowers/self-propelled/husqvarna-lc-353v/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Any experience with the Pro Lawn Hyundai
    https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-42cm-139cc-hyundai-push-petrol-lawnmower-1153278

Seems decent value - any experience appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

Hi all,

still havent made a purchase, had a lend of siblings mower pre covid and it couldnt be returned due to social distancing! Ive about 1.25ac to cut with a long avenue and wondering which mower has the biggest bag, thinking this is really the deciding difference between them all. Ok with secondhand if anyone has ideas.

Advertisement