Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlines breaking EU law by not offering refunds

Options
  • 01-04-2020 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭

I was supposed to fly to the Philippines from Dublin with Emirates (flight cost almost a grand!) Even though the flight has been cancelled and they are bound by EU law to refund customers, they are trying to charge €150 for a refund as a way to push customers over to a travel voucher or a rebooking.

See EU legislation here:

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/c20201830.pdf

I don't particularly want a voucher as it's a bit risky in case the airline goes bust. I don't want a rebooking as there is no guarantee yet that I will be able to make the same trip rescheduled for a year later. I'd rather get my money back as it is a lot of money. I don't feel like paying €150 for something I'm legally entitled to.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

I’m exactly the same with KLM. we were due to fly to Argentina and they’re refusing to refund the flight cost. All they are offering is a voucher valid for a year. I don’t want that-I just want my money back. It’s absolutely outrageous as they are breaking the law by this refusal but they don’t seem to care. I’m thin of going down the credit card chargeback route.
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    I was supposed to fly to the Philippines from Dublin with Emirates (flight cost almost a grand!) Even though the flight has been cancelled and they are bound by EU law to refund customers, they are trying to charge €150 for a refund as a way to push customers over to a travel voucher or a rebooking.

See EU legislation here:

I don't particularly want a voucher as it's a bit risky in case the airline goes bust. I don't want a rebooking as there is no guarantee yet that I will be able to make the same trip rescheduled for a year later. I'd rather get my money back as it is a lot of money. I don't feel like paying €150 for something I'm legally entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Quick one - when you go into my booking is there an option for refund that automatically brings you to a voucher form instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does EU261 apply? The airline don’t have the power to fly to many destinations

The EU regulation is in place to protect passengers against the inconvenience caused by long waiting times or flight cancellations, which the airline had the power to prevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

See EU legislation here:

Airlines are offering vouchers, because if they do refunds they be gone bust.

We are due to fly in July but will ask to push it out by a year if we cant go

These aren't normal times sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

johnire wrote: »
    I’m exactly the same with KLM. we were due to fly to Argentina and they’re refusing to refund the flight cost. All they are offering is a voucher valid for a year. I don’t want that-I just want my money back. It’s absolutely outrageous as they are breaking the law by this refusal but they don’t seem to care. I’m thin of going down the credit card chargeback route.

That might be your only route, but if we all do that, travelling when it returns will cost a lot more.

• Advertisement

Due to fly to Portugal this month, TAP airlines have cancelled all flights till the 9th May. The link from the email only allows vouchers instead of cash refunds.
    I have emailed them looking for my cash refund, but I'm not hopeful of a reply anytime soon.
    Will just wait & see closer to the date I was due to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Applied for an Aer Lingus voucher over weeks ago, still waiting.

Happy enough with the vouchers as i can understand why they cant/wont give cash refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That might be your only route, but if we all do that, travelling when it returns will cost a lot more.

My fear would be that if everyone does that, there won't be many airlines left to be overcharging :(

I've applied for a refund for one cancelled flight, been offered a voucher/ date change for another one that hasn't yet actually been cancelled. Haven't acted on that yet.

I don't hold out much hope for either tbh. Thankfully the flights were cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What will it mean for travel insurance claims if they offer you one of these vouchers? They are saying full refund if you don't use the voucher within a year (provided they're still in business of course).

I was due to fly into Paris at the end of May with Transavia and out of Perpignan two weeks later with Aer Lingus. Are Lingus credit is fine by me, I'll use it eventually. Transavia? The only destination that is good for is Paris and it just so happened to suit to pay it a visit at the start of that holiday, I'd have little interest in going any other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

I paid over €2000 for our flights. There absolutely no way I’m going to allow KLM to hold on to my money. They’re obliged to refund the money-if by giving refunds they or any airline goes bust then so be it. I just want MY money back-they’re not going to use me and thousands like me as providers of interest free loans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm having issues with 2 airlines: AerLingus & Vueling - both flights cancelled.

VUELING
    Sent me an e-mail providing a link for a refund. Filled in form. Eventually got an e-mail offering flight credit, despite filling out refund form. Currently trying to contact them on Social Media etc...

Aer Lingus
    After they sent email for voucher, contacted them via Social Media requesting full refund. Was forwarded a link for 'dispute' form due to cancelled flight. They then only refunded my taxes & charges, despite them cancelling flights (hence entitled to full refund). Have filled out another dispute form, awaiting a response (Social Media no use).

Will wait 14 days. If no resolution, will go down the chargeback route (plenty of evidence to support)

Insurance claim will be last resort as they'll ask that the above measures were attempted.

Very disappointed with Aer Lingus, any loyalty is now lost (Spent a few €€€ with them sending the oul man Transatlantic regularly Business Class)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm having issues with 2 airlines: AerLingus & Vueling - both flights cancelled.

VUELING
    Sent me an e-mail providing a link for a refund. Filled in form. Eventually got an e-mail offering flight credit, despite filling out refund form. Currently trying to contact them on Social Media etc...

Aer Lingus
    After they sent email for voucher, contacted them via Social Media requesting full refund. Was forwarded a link for 'dispute' form due to cancelled flight. They then only refunded my taxes & charges, despite them cancelling flights (hence entitled to full refund). Have filled out another dispute form, awaiting a response (Social Media no use).

Will wait 14 days. If no resolution, will go down the chargeback route (plenty of evidence to support)

Insurance claim will be last resort as they'll ask that the above measures were attempted.

Very disappointed with Aer Lingus, any loyalty is now lost (Spent a few €€€ with them sending the oul man Transatlantic regularly Business Class)

Do you know how long the offered Aer Lingus vouchers as valid for? I'm debating whether to accept or hold out

Do you know how long the offered Aer Lingus vouchers as valid for? I'm debating whether to accept or hold out

No. Fcuked if i'm taking a voucher (hence didn't entertain the offer). I requested a full refund, as one is entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MauraSweeney40

I have a problem with TAPAir Portugal. Cancelled a trip to Brazil for family of 4 plus infant. After several attempts to contact them their agent HUNG UP on me when I insisted on a refund to my credit card. Have now contacted via twitter the European Commissioner for Transport - Adina Valean. You can follow me on Twitter MauraSweeney40. Vouchers are of no value to me as after May we are not in a position to travel Brazil then or in the future. The airlines are suppose to have reserves. My money should not be used to supplement them. I think we need to put pressure on the POWERS THAT BE ie EU, Etc. SOME Airlines - not all of them - are hiding behind Covid-19 and not addressing their responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have a problem with TAPAir Portugal. Cancelled a trip to Brazil for family of 4 plus infant. After several attempts to contact them their agent HUNG UP on me when I insisted on a refund to my credit card. Have now contacted via twitter the European Commissioner for Transport - Adina Valean. You can follow me on Twitter MauraSweeney40. Vouchers are of no value to me as after May we are not in a position to travel Brazil then or in the future. The airlines are suppose to have reserves. My money should not be used to supplement them. I think we need to put pressure on the POWERS THAT BE ie EU, Etc. SOME Airlines - not all of them - are hiding behind Covid-19 and not addressing their responsibilities.

Which responsibilities? I don’t believe EU261 applies. So a voucher or rebooking is their legal responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

johnire wrote: »
    Might be of interest to you as your flight was KLM.
    EU blocks Dutch plan to let airlines give passengers vouchers for canceled flights

"Airlines are only allowed to give vouchers in return for a canceled flight if the passenger agrees. If not, the canceled ticket must be refunded, European Commissioner for Transport Adina Valean said. With that she threw a spanner in the works of Dutch Infrastructure Minister Cora van Nieuwenhuizen's plan to allow airlines to compensate passengers with vouchers."
    Source: https://nltimes.nl/2020/04/02/eu-blocks-dutch-plan-let-airlines-give-passengers-vouchers-canceled-flights

My contract with them allows for a refund but they are ignoring the contract I have with them at time of booking and paying.

At time of making and paying for my flights my contract with TAP Air Portugal stated that if cancelledI was entitled to refund!

Vueling just DENIED my refund request, despite them cancelling the flight.

Time to claim off the insurance (more paperwork, great).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

bubblypop wrote: »
    Due to fly to Portugal this month, TAP airlines have cancelled all flights till the 9th May. The link from the email only allows vouchers instead of cash refunds.
    I have emailed them looking for my cash refund, but I'm not hopeful of a reply anytime soon.
    Will just wait & see closer to the date I was due to go.

I'm in the same situation with TAP Air Portugal, I had a flight booked which was cancelled and I complained via the webform and was offered either a free rescheduling or else a 1 year validity voucher. I didn't reply to that but I have already begun a Credit Card Chargeback against them as I just want my money back.

I was in Brazil when the crisis escalated and unable to get home via the United States until I had spent 14 days outside of the EU so booked a flight home with TAP Air Portugal, this was cancelled. After my 14 days outside the EU had lapsed Delta Airlines changed my ticket and flew me home at no extra cost.

I'm going to claim an EU 261 regulation claim also for €600 as I was never notified of the flight cancellation and only discovered the flight was cancelled by checking myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

theguzman wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation with TAP Air Portugal, I had a flight booked which was cancelled and I complained via the webform and was offered either a free rescheduling or else a 1 year validity voucher. I didn't reply to that but I have already begun a Credit Card Chargeback against them as I just want my money back.

I was in Brazil when the crisis escalated and unable to get home via the United States until I had spent 14 days outside of the EU so booked a flight home with TAP Air Portugal, this was cancelled. After my 14 days outside the EU had lapsed Delta Airlines changed my ticket and flew me home at no extra cost.

I'm going to claim an EU 261 regulation claim also for €600 as I was never notified of the flight cancellation and only discovered the flight was cancelled by checking myself.

Can you explain the steps involved in the credit card charge back process? Are credit card companies obliging in these circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Can you explain the steps involved in the credit card charge back process? Are credit card companies obliging in these circumstances?

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2058066181

I assume my VHI multiptrip (I have the add on that means I don't have to pay excess) will cover me for my flight given the airline won't refund me? I last renewed my policy last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'm in the same situation with air France, we were supposed to fly to Florida today and th flights were cancelled. Air France are only offering vouchers and are saying it's exceptional circumstances so we're not entitled to a refund.

They never even notified us that the flight was cancelled which is very poor. Obviously I expected it to be cancelled so I had been checking

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Same with Air Canada only offering credit. I contacted vhi multrip a few days ago and they said they would email me a form to fill out. Haven't received the form yet. I get a feeling they don't want to pay over either.

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Same with Air Canada only offering credit. I contacted vhi multrip a few days ago and they said they would email me a form to fill out. Haven't received the form yet. I get a feeling they don't want to pay over either.

You can put a claim in online though no?

My flight with Emirates was booked through an Irish based online travel agent (it was 40 euro cheaper than booking direct with airline).

These are the two emails email they sent me. Just wondering are they liable to give me a refund regardless of whether the airline pays them back?

In relation to your query regarding a refund please note the following:

First email:

"Many Airlines have instructed their Agents to issue credits or vouchers for flights affected by cancellations. Several laws require the Airline to refund the Agent who can then refund the customer. What the Airlines are doing is wrong, there is pressure on them to do the right thing and repay your money.

For now we will cancel your booking, place the booking on hold and you will need to contact us when you are ready to rebook. Should the Airline policy update to allow a refund we will gladly process one for you.

We will keep you updated and act in your best interest."

Second email:

"I know, its so unfair what they are doing but there is a lot of pressure on them now to do the right thing and some of the airlines are starting to change their stance so we are hoping Emirates
    follow suit soon. This is why we are advising to leave your ticket open for rebook , but in the meantime if we get the news we can apply for full refunds we will."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

What will it mean for travel insurance claims if they offer you one of these vouchers? They are saying full refund if you don't use the voucher within a year (provided they're still in business of course).

I was due to fly into Paris at the end of May with Transavia and out of Perpignan two weeks later with Aer Lingus. Are Lingus credit is fine by me, I'll use it eventually. Transavia? The only destination that is good for is Paris and it just so happened to suit to pay it a visit at the start of that holiday, I'd have little interest in going any other time.

You wouldnt be at a loss so there would be no claim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ryanair refunded a cancelled flight in full to us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement