Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlines breaking EU law by not offering refunds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Monokne wrote: »
    Has anyone had any joy from Expedia? I have waited multiple calls a total of like 4 or 5 hours but been unable to get through and they are refusing to help me by email, DM or live chat.

My flights were March 28 and April 5, all cancelled by the airline. I just want my money back or at the very least SOME communication.

I've sent them an email quoting EU261 trying to force their hand to ring or refund me.

I think they are all buried.
    But at least with EU261 you can pursue them for 6 years.

You may want to look at chargeback, if you used a credit card, as a fallback position. Hopefully you are still within the time limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Have 4.5 k in flights with air lingus who are doing vouchers for 5 years, I purchased on visa debit can i do a charge back bit of a joke tbh that the money is sitting in their account *never heard that one before* they could go to the wall at any stage.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Have 4.5 k in flights with air lingus who are doing vouchers for 5 years, I purchased on visa debit can i do a charge back bit of a joke tbh that the money is sitting in their account *never heard that one before* they could go to the wall at any stage.

They are part of IAG, unlikely to go bust.

From B Of I.....
    Can I request a refund/chargeback at any time?

You have 120 days (maximum) to dispute a transaction. The charge back allows:
    You enough time to contact a retailer as the first step.
    The retailer to respond to you or issue a refund. A retailer is allowed 30 days from date you returned a product to issue a refund.

These are calender days.

I'd start with chargeback because is it time limited.
    You may not be able to go small claims court route as you are the €2,000 limit unless they are separate transactions.

You can chase EU261 for up to 6 years for airlines with headquarters in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

paddy19 wrote: »
    I think they are all buried.
    But at least with EU261 you can pursue them for years.

You may want to look at chargeback, if you used a credit card, as a fallback position. Hopefully you are still within the time limits.

Buried? Can you elaborate? Not sure I get you!

I have considered chargeback. I am with PTSB. Booked the flights in January.

Buried? Can you elaborate? Not sure I get you!

I have considered chargeback. I am with PTSB. Booked the flights in January.

Buried as in totally overloaded with refund requests.

That's not to forgive them for play acting because they really have nothing else do to do.

Important that you get you chargeback request in within 120 days for most banks.

• Advertisement

Ah yes. I understand.

I will contact PTSB tomorrow to request chargeback.

Anyone ever done a chargeback before? Curious as to what the process is/what I've to do or provide and what the timescales are like for resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ah yes. I understand.

I will contact PTSB tomorrow to request chargeback.

Anyone ever done a chargeback before? Curious as to what the process is/what I've to do or provide and what the timescales are like for resolution.

30 days since my refund request from Ryanair. Return flight should have been yesterday. Im giving them a week now and then i'll do chargeback. Its been over 150 days since I booked it so ive heard people mentioning chargeback should be done within 120 days, but I dont see how thats possible. You dont know the flight didnt go until almost a year later in some cases.

I'll give it a go anyway.
    Ive two more sets of flights in the summer all booked at the same time. No way to ask for chargeback on them because they havent been cancelled yet, even though they were booked well over 120 days ago already.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    30 days since my refund request from Ryanair. Return flight should have been yesterday. Im giving them a week now and then i'll do chargeback. Its been over 150 days since I booked it so ive heard people mentioning chargeback should be done within 120 days, but I dont see how thats possible. You dont know the flight didnt go until almost a year later in some cases.

I'll give it a go anyway.
    Ive two more sets of flights in the summer all booked at the same time. No way to ask for chargeback on them because they havent been cancelled yet, even though they were booked well over 120 days ago already.

I've flights booked in mid August, debating at what point do I cancel those

Maybe I misunderstand but be careful not to cancel.

If you cancel you'll only get taxes and will have to pay €20 Government Tax Refund Administration Fee Per Passenger.

The airline has to cancel before you will get a full refund.

Cheers for the heads up Paddy19.

I have just spoken with PTSB about a chargeback. They basically told me there was no point in doing the chargeback prodecure until I had gone through the process with Expedia, & failing that through Aviationreg.ie. They said that the chargeback would just be declined until I had exhausted all other avenues.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the heads up Paddy19.

I have just spoken with PTSB about a chargeback. They basically told me there was no point in doing the chargeback prodecure until I had gone through the process with Expedia, & failing that through Aviationreg.ie. They said that the chargeback would just be declined until I had exhausted all other avenues.

Thanks for that.
    It's what you'd expect from the bankers.
    Lots of fancy claims but obsticle course when you try to get the money.
    The issue here is that you may end up past the 120 day window. The regulator doesn't want to know until you have given the airline 4 to 6 weeks to respond.

The whole thing is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Aer Lingus, 1 month later, are still not giving me a refund.

I need the cash.

Has anyone done a Revolut chargeback for Aer Lingus flights? Is this my best next step?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Ryanair email this morning for a flight May 1st, refund button on the mail click and away, painless procedure now just wait for the money to hit

Aerlingus - still waiting since March 18th for a refund of a cancelled flight, they only responded to the mail on the 26th offering a refund and nothing since,

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Just to let everyone waiting on refunds know that Aer Lingus are issuing refunds where they cancelled the flight.

My return flight from Spain was cancelled and no alternative flight offered so I chose not to travel out and requested a refund for the full trip on 15 March. The refund hit my account today (31 days later) and I received no correspondence at any stage.

I had begun the chargeback process a few days ago but I was able to stop it today. Without a doubt the communication could be better and save the airline time and money but the refunds do seem to be coming eventually.

Has anyone actually got money back from Ryanair for a cancelled flight in the last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭riddles

Does anyone have an opinion on the June flight schedule to Italy, France and Spain.

Current situation is the flight is booked with AL for early June - there is no communication so far on that. The balance on accommodation is due also in the next two weeks.

Any opinions on how people should proceed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

riddles wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on the June flight schedule to Italy, France and Spain.

Current situation is the flight is booked with AL for early June - there is no communication so far on that. The balance on accommodation is due also in the next two weeks.

I'm booked outbound for the end of June with AL. My accommodation is pay on arrival. But its only free cancellation until May 13th. The hotel chain have been doing free cancellation because of this so I will keep an eye on things and make a decision next month.

Im thinking that there will be no holidays at all this summer. The only reason flights will take off is to get your money, even if restrictions are still in place. Cant imagine a holiday would be much fun anyway if you cant go to the pub or other tourist activities.

Hard to see AL back in June but who knows. I'd be inclined to request an extension on paying the accommodation. First rule of negotiation you have to ask! They should be happy to keep you.

Worth looking at the terms of the contract and remember Irish law might give you an out.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/travel/travel_plans_and_covid19.html

The only way I can see airlines getting back in business is test before fly like Eremites tried in Abu Dhabi.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/emirates-using-10-minute-covid-19-blood-test-before-passengers-depart-1.4229627

Jays Michael O'Leary is going to love that!

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Im thinking that there will be no holidays at all this summer. The only reason flights will take off is to get your money, even if restrictions are still in place. Cant imagine a holiday would be much fun anyway if you cant go to the pub or other tourist activities.

Passed flying empty planes phase me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wouldnt cancel any flights before they come to you first, as mentioned you will get very little back

you are probably like most of us, my plan is to sit and wait til the 11th hour and hopefully flight gets cancelled

We're not going anyway so if it never gets cancelled I will write it off, but fingers crossed it will and then apply for refund

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

we were early Jun in Canaries, accom balance due last month. Decided to cancel that and lose €250 deposit

Cant imagine a holiday this summer will be great, most places closed, probably beaches aswell, confined a lot indoors, lines for shopping, no bars, restaurants
    Doesnt sound like a lot of fun to me

I would say for a flight in Jun you wont hear anything for another couple weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

If your flights are cancelled they have to offer you a refund, that said they might not offer you a refund in the e-mail they send you as they will try get you to accept a voucher or rebook for a later date, when yiu receive e-mail saying your flight is cancalled just give them a call and ask what are your options, they should give you a few option and one should be a refund, was in same position with Lufthansa, no mention on there site about getting refund, just vouchers and rescheduling flughts, waited for email and just called them and asked what was my option aand straight away was offered a full refund along with all the other options, if you want a refund just wait for confirmation on flights been cancelled .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Feck you Ryanair, I want my money!!

509974.png

The Aviation Regulator says they need to see evidence of written complaint to Aer Lingus. All my complaints to Aer Lingus were by phone.

What is an email address that I can use to contact Aer Lingus? or how would anyone suggest I put a complaint in writing to them about their disgraceful behaviour over not giving me a refund?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

JTMan wrote: »
    Aer Lingus, 1 month later, are still not giving me a refund.

I need the cash.

Has anyone done a Revolut chargeback for Aer Lingus flights? Is this my best next step?

Different circumstances but I have a chargeback with revolut for flybe, submitted on 6th match. Over 40 days have passed so got on to them yesterday. They didn't process claim until the 17th and can take up to 32 days, which is, well, tomorrow so will get back on to them next week if I don't hear Mon/Tue..

@Paddy19 - Thank you. I sent an email to ccu@aerlingus.com. It bounced despite that email address being on several websites. Anyway, I PDF'ed the email to the regulator. Total farce that the regulator insist on written correspondence when it is virtually impossible to find an email address for Aer Lingus. This whole process would drive you demented. Is anyone on the consumers side?

@mgray - Thank you.

I'll give the regulator a few days. If there is still no action by the regulator nor Aer Lingus, I will need to decide if a chargeback or a small claims court application is my next step.

I hate Aer Lingus.

JTMan wrote: »
    @Paddy19 - Thank you. I sent an email to ccu@aerlingus.com. It bounced despite that email address being on several websites.

Sorry about that. It took a while to bounce.

It always cheeses me off that the regulators allow these yahoo to refuse to have a customer email.

You could try Martin Lewis free Resolver service:
    https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/aer-lingus-complaints/contact-details

I used it in the past, it's not bad and its free.

Other alternative is a fax. +353 1 8863832

If all else fails I'd write to refunds department, Aer Lingus, Dublin Airport.
    Alternatively you could send it to the CEO Sean Liam Doyle.
    No harm to let him know that they are acting the maggot although he is probably organising it.

Keep it simple your email, book ref, flight ref., flight cancelled, refund please.

You could use of the free cards from An Post. Save you a euro!

If it's worth €25 I'd go the small claims route.
    If they don't pay up the sheriff can go in and take something worth the fare.

Probably won't come to that!

• Advertisement

Thanks again Paddy.

I will fill in Martin Lewis's form. I will also ring Aer Lingus and ask for an email address or if not send a postal letter.

I have no fax access.

Aer Lingus owe me just under €1,000, so yeah it is worth €25. I would rather give it another little while before going down the small claims court route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement