Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Yeah Its the old chinese above the hamlet.
    https://www.facebook.com/OSAKA-Japanese-Restaurant-1200296556675578/?fref=ts
    FB link, has takeaway menu but not eat in.
    The take away sushi looks like it could be a great work lunch option!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I haven't tried it myself but it's getting some serious praise on the Balbriggan Connected Facebook group.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Got some sushi takeaway there a couple of weeks ago - delish!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We were at the Brick House in Skerries harbour last night. The food was amazing, and the service couldn't have been better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We were next door in Blue. :)
    Glad to hear that you had a good experience in the Brick House.
    We've been a couple of times & were less than impressed.
    Maybe it is just us. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was our first time there and it was excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It was our first time there and it was excellent :)

Good to hear. I've been telling the missus that we need to try it and Blue next door. We always end up going to Ollies when we go to Skerries :/

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Nearly sure Ollie's twin brother runs Blue

John Nealon runs Blue. He's not Ollie's twin. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If I were in ollies where is blue in comparison?

I don't know skerries very well

• Advertisement

Over on the harbour. You can't miss it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Over on the harbour. You can't miss it.

Will have a try next time

Tried to find the harbour a few weeks ago with no success :)

If you come into Skerries from Lusk, take the left under the railway bridge & go straight until you come to the monument by the Bus Bar on Strand St. Take the left here, the road swings around to the right & you are on the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Had a takeaway from the Riverside Chinese in River Valley last night just for a change, slightly out of my way but I'm always willing to travel for good food.

Won't be using them again, it was shocking; rice was just a congealed lump and the chips were either a reheat from the previous day or they just overdo them as a matter of course.

The two main courses were very poor, the curry sauce was jelly like and the thai green was about as thai as a certain mr trump. I had ordered through just-eat, so don't know whether they reduce the quality of the food because they're not getting the full price on orders or if the food is always this standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Are there any good Chinese takeaways in Swords any more? We had been going to Swords Garden for years, but we've had a succession of bad meals from it lately. Would really like to try somewhere different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

plodder wrote: »
    Are there any good Chinese takeaways in Swords any more? We had been going to Swords Garden for years, but we've had a succession of bad meals from it lately. Would really like to try somewhere different.

the plaza is probably the best of them. tend to switch to indian lately and sagarmantha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

We were at the Brick House in Skerries harbour last night. The food was amazing, and the service couldn't have been better :)
    We were next door in Blue. :)
    Glad to hear that you had a good experience in the Brick House.
    We've been a couple of times & were less than impressed.
    Maybe it is just us. :o
    I've been a few times and while the food was good, the service was overly 'fussy' and invasive - you know where it takes a waitress 10 mins to place some cutlery and napkins on a table and where they make numerous unnecessary journeys over and back to the table throughout the meal.

Perhaps it's just me but I always feel like shaking people who work slowly!

Uriel. wrote: »
    the plaza is probably the best of them. tend to switch to indian lately and sagarmantha

Agree with you on the change to Indian, the Shagun art of spice in Applewood is excellent. The Chinese's in Swords have all gone really downhill, I will travel to the Mekong in Santry because it is well worth the travel as the food is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

plodder wrote: »

Lin Kee on North St is really excellent. Spotless kitchen and quality food.

Liam2012 wrote: »
    Lin Kee on North St is really excellent. Spotless kitchen and quality food.

Will give it a try so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Any recommendations for an Indian take away in the swords area?

Also, any dishes in particular you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sagarmatha kitchen and indie spice are the main (only?) ones and both very nice.

I personally think Indian food has a greater variety (in Ireland) thank Chinese take aways.

It really depends on what kind of dish you tend to like and how Spicy you like your food. Himalayan curry is a nice one on Sagarmatha and isn't one of the main Indian dishes he'll find in most Indian places (such as korma, madras, rogan Josh etc)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone know why the IndonKitchen has changed name again? It's now open under its third different name in less than 2 years!

I've been a few times and while the food was good, the service was overly 'fussy' and invasive - you know where it takes a waitress 10 mins to place some cutlery and napkins on a table and where they make numerous unnecessary journeys over and back to the table throughout the meal.

If only! Both times we were there we found the service to be slow & patchy.

The last time we had place mats with food on them from previous diners. Also, the quality of the food wasn't great. I had wings & steak & Mrs B had 'fancy' fish & chips. All are bog standard fare that should be easy to serve well. Each dish was quite poor.

I don't have the dosh these days to give much benefit of the doubt when it comes to eating out. After being let down a second time - enough was enough. Pity - great venue with super views for a romantic evening out.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Had a takeaway from the Riverside Chinese in River Valley last night just for a change, slightly out of my way but I'm always willing to travel for good food.

Won't be using them again, it was shocking; rice was just a congealed lump and the chips were either a reheat from the previous day or they just overdo them as a matter of course.

The two main courses were very poor, the curry sauce was jelly like and the thai green was about as thai as a certain mr trump. I had ordered through just-eat, so don't know whether they reduce the quality of the food because they're not getting the full price on orders or if the food is always this standard.

That's very disappointing, the food there is usually very good.

I find Chinese takeaways are never consistently good, they seem to go through phases of being good or bad.

I find Indie Spice really good. You can get takeaway from the restaurant, but the menu at Indie At Home is much broader. My favourites are chicken bhuna and Murgh Shashlik - a dish that comes in two containers. One is chicken and veg that have been cooked on a skewer, and the other is a sauce full of amazing vegetables. The meat is quite spicy but the rest is not.

On the subject of takeaways in Swords, Sanuk Thai is amazing :)

I'll put in a good word for Shagun Art of Spice in Applewood again and recommend their chicken saag, which is a spinach curry. The have a good deal on marvin.ie 20% off when you spend €25 or more. Their onion bhaji's are delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Glad it's not just me either. Hate the long silence waiting to resume what you were talking about while the waitress/waiter places cutlery on your table like they were sticks of dynamite ready to explode.
    My other favourite is when they wait for you to stuff a large forkfull of food into your mouth and then pounce from nowhere to ask if everythings ok?

Re the brickroom, the other half likes the food but I could take it or leave it. Been a few times. Would usually pick it when the town looks busy as it's the most likely place to get a table without waiting which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Been going to the Chilli Shaker for years, never had a bad meal or takeaway.

Had a few takeaways from Shagun in Applewood, very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

+1 for chilli shaker. Indian quality definitely more consistent. Pink Elephant (Thai) does excellent takeaways also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I like Food Guru for takeaway Indian - very comprehensive menu and good quality.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement