Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

A word of warning guys, the Kickstarter slip case is fecking dreadful looking, I’m tempted to throw it in the recycling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How do I get the code for this, stopped paying attention to the emails a good few months ago

$29 backer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    A word of warning guys, the Kickstarter slip case is fecking dreadful looking, I’m tempted to throw it in the recycling!

Yeah, no effort made at all with it.

RasTa wrote: »
    How do I get the code for this, stopped paying attention to the emails a good few months ago

$29 backer

Think you might be getting a code tonight by email.

Some people are (rightly) complaining that they can’t preload their copy of the game whereas a copy bought through PSN can preload.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

How does it run on base PS4?

• Advertisement

sinnerboy0 wrote: »
    How does it run on base PS4?

Buttery smooth?

Not sure Sinner, I’m using a PS4 pro and runs well, think it’s 60FPS and 4K. Don’t think HDR is enabled as far as I’m aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have just been re-playing through the HD collection getting ready for this, Shenmue 1 was such a struggle to get through with all the real world waiting for events to happen in the game, I will finish part two and then pick this one up.

I have just been re-playing through the HD collection getting ready for this, Shenmue 1 was such a struggle to get through with all the real world waiting for events to happen in the game, I will finish part two and then pick this one up.

Much easier now to wait for events to happen, just whip out your phone until the event occurs. If it’s next day in-game, go to bed ASAP (after 7pm if I remember correctly, might be wrong there!).

Don’t forget to keep saving in Ghost Hall in Shenmue 2, those QTEs are a nightmare and you start from the bottom if you fail one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Any early impressions of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I just finished my 4th playthrough of Shenmue 1 and I was surprised how well I remembered the game and what to do .
    Its interesting when the game makes you purposely wait , its actually not that bad until you get to the harbour when there is not much to do after you finish your forklift job .

The best I found to pass the time so it didn't feel like it was dragging was to practice your fighting moves at the park or car park places as each time you fill a moves meter it becomes stronger .
    Also even after my 4th playthrough I will still finding new hidden cutscenes I have never seen before by exploring places on my free time .

Shenmue 2 is a much better game imo and one of my fav games of all time . hope you enjoy it dude =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Shenmue 2 is a much better game imo and one of my fav games of all time . hope you enjoy it dude =)
    I only got to play shenmue 2 for the first time when it was rereleased on the ps4 and i was really surprised by how much of a step up it was. Great game. Hoping the new one is on par with that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have a PS4 digital code for this that I don't intend to use. I don't think I'm allowed to actively sell on here so please PM if interested. The code will only work on PAL/EU PSN store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's Shenmue awful but I'm not 10/11 anymore so a bit less forgiving. Only started it but am enjoying the nostalgia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm hoping this doesn't end up like Megaman 10.

Everyone loved the nostalgia trip with Megaman 9 but had had their fill by MM10 which while a great game did considerably worse. If this is only 40% or Ryu's journey I'm hoping it doesn't become a victim of nostalgia fatigue.

Expectations always had to be kept in check given Ys net is much smaller than the team that worked on Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 with a much smaller budget to top it off.

Yu Suzuki said recently in an interview that only 10 people who worked on Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 worked on Shenmue 3 so the team is really new , but no matter how I feel when I finish Shenmue 3 I am really thankful it exist.

To me Suzuki was to arcades is what Miyamoto was to videogame-consoles. I think he deserves much greater respect as a developer and to see him finally be given a chance to continue Ryo journey is amazing .

Shenmue was originally suppose to be a journey 5 games long . I hope Shenmue 3 does enough to generate a buzz and we will see continue with a bigger budget and team and finally finish Ryo story in the best way possible =)

Expectations always had to be kept in check given Ys net is much smaller than the team that worked on Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 with a much smaller budget to top it off.

Yu Suzuki said recently in an interview that only 10 people who worked on Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 worked on Shenmue 3 so the team is really new , but no matter how I feel when I finish Shenmue 3 I am really thankful it exist.

To me Suzuki was to arcades is what Miyamoto was to videogame-consoles. I think he deserves much greater respect as a developer and to see him finally be given a chance to continue Ryo journey is amazing .

Shenmue was originally suppose to be a journey 5 games long . I hope Shenmue 3 does enough to generate a buzz and we will see continue with a bigger budget and team and finally finish Ryo story in the best way possible =)

I don’t know, I think Yu still wants 5 games minimum to finish the story.

You would hope Sega are stable enough now to take on Shenmue 4 provided this game does ok. It would be a big monkey off their backs.

First impressions of the new game - Quite slow, enjoying the Shenmue vibes and atmosphere, graphics surprisingly good for a budget game, character model for Ryo looks better in motion, camera cuts during cut scenes are weird and take you out of the scene, fighting nowhere near the quality of Shenmue 1 and 2 but hoping it gets deeper later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I just thought I would post this, just something I thought playing Shenmue 1 many years ago. Havent played the 3rd yet so this is no way a hint or anything about that game (no idea the story)

But I remember in the first game the hot dog stand guy moves to america and shenmue seems to be about going to different places. Japan... Hong Kong... etc. So i wonder, could the next installment of Shenmue be headed to america? like china town new york around 1980?

just a thought I always had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I just thought I would post this, just something I thought playing Shenmue 1 many years ago. Havent played the 3rd yet so this is no way a hint or anything about that game (no idea the story)

But I remember in the first game the hot dog stand guy moves to america and shenmue seems to be about going to different places. Japan... Hong Kong... etc. So i wonder, could the next installment of Shenmue be headed to america? like china town new york around 1980?

just a thought I always had.

Now all I want is a Jack Burton cross over for Shenmue New York. Matter of fact, forget Ryo. This is the Jack Burton show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

Saw the credits roll last night. What did people think of it? I loved how it was more Shenmue (warts and all). Serious nostalgia for playing the first game on the Dreamcast at release. They developed it as if was a 2003 release right after Shenmue 2; as if the past 15 years in gaming didn't happen. I can see why the reviews aren't great. If you're not a fan of the original games you're going to hate it.

Bought it on PS4 (as I wanted a physical copy and I also want to wait and see if there is a Steam release in the future) and I upgraded to PS4 Pro halfway through my playthrough. It really needs a 30fps cap as it targets 60fps and never gets there on the base PS4 and it rarely does on the pro either. Would much prefer a locked 30fps framerate to a framerate that is constantly bouncing all over the place between 30-60fps.

It took me awhile but after many years of eagerly waiting for a sequel to one of my favourite videogames of all time , I have finally watched the credits roll and experienced the world of shenmue once more. Although I immensely enjoyed my time with Shenmue 3 I somehow feel sort of empty at the same time .

My expectations were kept in check since the games announcement knowing well the budget and development team would be much lower than Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 but having said that , despite every now and again NPC models and Animations looking wonky at times the world is so vast and detailed I was in awe with the towns and scenery's.

Interacting with people is where shenmue charm shines so bright , the dialogue albeit keeping the same humorous tone of the previous games , each character you meet leaves a lasting impression with many moments that had me grinning and smiling all the way through. =)

Unfortunately there was some setbacks to Shenmue 3 I wish was abit more ironed out or brought back . The combat is a serious step-down . Having been a Virtua fighter RPG, because removed you never get the full sense of feeling you are fighting many different Martial Artist Styles , and in the end feels very clunky and off . Ys Net also removing the throw and parry button means the game just becomes a button masher .

The ending while I wont spoil I was very unsatisfied with. After years of waiting for answers I feel it was just a continuation of a story that may or may not get resolved still unless there is certain formation than Shenmue 4 will get green lighted .

The Shenmue fan in me would give the game 8/10
    but the critic in me , I think the game is best suited for 7/10

• Advertisement

Hi guys, I finished the game before Christmas and have let the ending stew for a while before commenting on it.

Honestly, I felt the game turned out to be a letdown even with my tempered expectations due to the Kickstarter. I'll go into how I saw some of the aspects of the game:

Graphics/Performance:
    The game looked reasonably good on PS4 Pro and I have played Red Dead 2 on it. Bailu and Niaowu had classic Shenmue vibes. Yes, some of the characters had a 'Doll' like look to them at times but generally, happy.

One of my biggest concerns of the game during development was the main character models but YsNet nailed it. Ryo looked more expressive and Japanese, Shenhua was much improved on the previous builds, Lan Di looked menacing.

Performance wasn't brilliant in the frame rate, was unlocked and floated around 45 to 60 FPS at all times. A locked 30 FPS would have been much better.

Sound:
    Considering no music was recorded for this game (that I know of), the game sounded excellent. I liked the sounds and tracks of the mini games and training games (the 80s tracks when you nailed chopping a log were particularly good!)

The Japanese Dub was great also. I've heard the English Dub isn't as good and the new Lan Di English voice is worlds apart from the original, sounds horrendous.

Presentation:
    This might be the start of the downfall of this review of sorts! There was nothing to stop YsNet from making the title screen look and sound like the original 2 games. Instead, it looks tacky and basic.

The game HUD isn't much better, why not mimic the map system of Shenmue 2, S3's in game map is as good as useless and I never referred back to it, shame as if it was useful, it would have been handy for tracking found herbs.

One of the game's biggest sins is the abupt cutting to and from scenes within the same scene. This was all smooth in the originals with a natural movie like flow but it's obvious this was an issue with the team's limited Unreal Engine experience.

Cinematography took a massive downturn in this game as well, no cinematic touches or angles whatsoever. Remember Ryo arriving on the bus to Kowloon in Shenmue 2, that was terrific showing off the landscape, tall buildings and the shot of the plane passing by. Yeah, none of that in Shenmue 3.

Another big issue was the music transitions. This game was designed with no loading screens as per modern standards which was successful but how they figured out how to transition between areas with what track was a problem and often the game just blanked out. Not good.

Story:
    Oh boy, the one area I felt Shenmue 3 had it in the bag and turned out to be it's biggest disappointment. I was excited to see the release trailer and looked forward to seeing more. Unfortunately, there wasn't much more to be seen.

We had some interesting slivers of info in Bailu learning about Iwao but possibly wasn't explored enough. At the end of S2, we were led to believe Lan Di and the Chi You Men would be there, instead we were stuck with 3 thugs that seemingly were able to take the village hostage despite Kung Fu legends living everywhere in the area! Lame.

Niaowu was worse as we were led around in circles looking for the Red Snakes. We eventually take on Mr.Muscles and all of a sudden, the game moves at a breakneck speed when Shenhua is taken and we go to a very under developed Old Castle with Broom Lady, Grandmaster Bei and the fat Kung Fu understudy guy and Ren.

The whole section felt out of whack, the Niao Sun reveal was lame, the support characters weak and undeserved, out of place Kickstarter backers in suits near the end. Even Ryo bugged me during the ending as he is still hellbent on revenge despite the fact he is now short a mirror and couldn't lay a glove on Lan Di (don't run Lan Di!). He also gets told Lan Di is Zhao Longsun for the THIRD bloody time and he is shocked, again!

3 games and Ryo is in a weaker position now than ever. Shenmue 3 gave us very little story wise and we learnt little new about Shenhua and Ren. We learnt nothing about Yuan, Broom girl or the understudy lad.

Gameplay:
    General gameplay was fine and wasn't anywhere near as janky as S1 and S2. Mini-Games etc were a bit basic, usually one button games and timing like the pail toss game or 1 punch.

The fighting system was a long way off the original games though. If they just could have used the same engine in this game, it would be fantastic but it is easy to overlook the fact the original games had a big Mo-Cap budget. That said, the inclusion of throws and parries would have improved Shenmue 3's combat a lot. Also not sure why they changed the button inputs for the moves in the game (no directional inputs for special moves)

Overall:
    I really still want a Shenmue 4 for the love of the whole series but Shenmue 3 is my least favourite of the 3 so far. It's a 5/10 from me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Bump.

A Shenmue anime has just been announced, co produced by Crunchyroll and Adult Swim(both owned by AT&T)

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1302035143297654785?s=19

Advertisement