Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

$6 million is not even going to fund a year of development in this day and age unfortunately especially a game of the scale of Shenmue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Think of it as a pre-order.
    People who pay full wack on a game not even developed are either very trusting or pretty naive. I just straight up don't preorder anything especially in these days with crap incentives.

Yep, got to say that I just don't believe that a game that's supposed to have the weight and scope of a Shenmue game can be made for $6million. If they are claiming that this is the actual final budget, that to me is another reason to not put a penny towards the game until it's released and reviewed.

Weren't people saying at the time that the kickstarter was ran to gauge interest as much as anything? Think they have the record for amount funded for a game yet seem to need at least twice that......somebody didn't think this through

Really don't see why Sony made such a big deal of it if Ys Net are going to turn around and ask people to pay for the dev costs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony needed something at E3 to disguise the fact that they have feck all in their 2015 line up for the PS4. Shenmue 3 and a long way off (if it comes at all) FF7 remake did the job wonderfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony needed something at E3 to disguise the fact that they have feck all in their 2015 line up for the PS4. Shenmue 3 and a long way off (if it comes at all) FF7 remake did the job wonderfully.

I'm a PS4 owner I know that already. Even The Witness (which will probably be delayed again) is set for January 2016. But i'm still mad at the way they are silent about the funding of this now. First goal for the studio was meant to be $3m but they raised twice that and now they havenlaunced a abruptly named slacker backer. What gives???

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

You forgot The Last Pipedream, I mean Guardian :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't really agree with that. FF7 and TLG by themselves would have been enough.

As it was at the time, Sony didn't even show The Uncharted Collection, Until Dawn or Tearaway during their conference which would have been their big games for the rest of the year.

They just went with showing games beyond 2015 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

I know I'm being cynical, but I continue to struggle to believe this is true. It just seems so improbable that the game will get made with the amount of money it has earned (and I can't imagine a 'slacker backer' campaign will come close to matching the Kickstarter amount).

Simply put: $6 million seems like an awfully small amount to develop Shenmue 3. And that $6 million shrinks further - significantly further - when we consider Kickstarter fees, reward fulfillment, taxes, and the cost of development in Japan (not to mention it probably involves a decent sized development team - it's not exactly an independent production!).

Shenmue 3 is ideally going to be a large, ambitious, fully 3D game with impressive production values - at least I reckon everybody hopes it is! Even accepting that the team are going to have to take a step back in terms of scale compared to the first two games out of sheer necessity, and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will creatively and frugally work with what they have, a crowdfunding only budget for a game of this scope boggles the mind. Given that we have seen many examples of even hugely successful Kickstarter titles stumble financially, a paltry few million dollars seems barely enough to sustain two years (or more) development of a highly anticipated, ambitious sequel - at least not to the quality level the creators or fans would like (I know Yu Suzuki has said $10 million would be ideal, but even that seems low to me).

I don't know: a solely crowdfunded Shenmue 3 is simply such an improbable concept to me, even accepting that a Shenmue 3 with the resources of its predecessors is never going to happen and everybody will just have to adjust accordingly. No doubt the Kickstarter money helped (even if, cynically, I reckon it was as much a cheap marketing / pre-order campaign as a tool to raise money), but Sony's assistance must surely be incredibly valuable in getting this game off the ground. In an extreme scenario, and the crowdfunding is the budget, then I'd be really surprised - and legitimately impressed! - if anybody ends up with the game they wanted, rather than a heavily compromised version of it.

What you have to remember is that they have much of the work done for them already. They have a ready made engine available to them (UE4) along with game assets from 1 and 2 gifted to them by Sega. The Witcher 2 was made on a budget of $10 million after all.

Also not forgetting that Yu has stated this new title will be more like 1 (with its compact environments similar to Dobuita) than 2 and the large expansiveness of Hong Kong that featured in 2.

People need to forget about huge open world gaming like GTA and instead realise Yu is focusing more on depth and detail than the vastness that typifies these sorts of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    What you have to remember is that they have much of the work done for them already. They have a ready made engine available to them (UE4) along with game assets from 1 and 2 gifted to them by Sega.

Game assets from Dreamcast games are sadly only going to get you so far when producing a new game for release in 2017! Helpful, sure, but a relatively minor convenience rather than a major one IMO.
    The Witcher 2 was made on a budget of $10 million after all.

It was also made in Poland, a country exponentially cheaper to live / work in than Japan :)
    Also not forgetting that Yu has stated this new title will be more like 1 (with its compact environments similar to Dobuita) than 2 and the large expansiveness of Hong Kong that featured in 2.

People need to forget about huge open world gaming like GTA and instead realise Yu is focusing more on depth and detail than the vastness that typifies these sorts of games.

Depth and detail are just as costly as vastness :)

Again, I'm simply putting forward some skepticism that 6.3 million (which I would conservatively round down to $4-5 million of actual funds - those 20,000 physical copies aren't going to produce themselves!) is a very small amount to realise a major game like this. When I look at the trouble Double Fine faced when putting together Broken Age - itself a reasonably compact game with a focus on a reasonably small amount of detailed environments and high production values - I'd be extra cautious. And that was a game that IMO clearly had to cut artistic corners to come out the other side (one just has to look at the unloved stretch goals on the SIII kickstarter to see quite significant compromises have already been made). A Shenmue III, on a crowdfunding-only budget, that lives up to what the fans and creators want, is something I just can't buy in to, and would be highly surprised if there isn't funding coming from elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is there any talk of a HD re-release of Shenmue 1 & 2 , it would seem like a big mis-step to not re-release them and at least give some people the chance to play through the existing story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is there any talk of a HD re-release of Shenmue 1 & 2 , it would seem like a big mis-step to not re-release them and at least give some people the chance to play through the existing story.

You assume Sega gives a damn about making money :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Game assets from Dreamcast games are sadly only going to get you so far when producing a new game for release in 2017! Helpful, sure, but a relatively minor convenience rather than a major one IMO.

It was also made in Poland, a country exponentially cheaper to live / work in than Japan :)

Depth and detail are just as costly as vastness :)

Again, I'm simply putting forward some skepticism that 6.3 million (which I would conservatively round down to $4-5 million of actual funds - those 20,000 physical copies aren't going to produce themselves!) is a very small amount to realise a major game like this. When I look at the trouble Double Fine faced when putting together Broken Age - itself a reasonably compact game with a focus on a reasonably small amount of detailed environments and high production values - I'd be extra cautious. And that was a game that IMO clearly had to cut artistic corners to come out the other side (one just has to look at the unloved stretch goals on the SIII kickstarter to see quite significant compromises have already been made). A Shenmue III, on a crowdfunding-only budget, that lives up to what the fans and creators want, is something I just can't buy in to, and would be highly surprised if there isn't funding coming from elsewhere

Take comfort in the fact that Sony would never have signed onboard if they thought the numbers didn't add up.

Sega doesn't do common sense unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I will try to put up the Kickstarter Updates here from now on, just to keep interest up and inform anyone still interested in the project but haven't backed yet.

您好中国! Greetings to China!
    Posted by Ys Net (Creator)

Hello everyone.
    We've got a news for you today. We are launching the official Shenmue III Chinese language website, which will continue crowdfunding with the addition of Alipay.

Since the launch of the Slacker Backer campaign, we have received numerous messages from enthusiastic Chinese fans to add Alipay to our Slacker Backer campaign.

You said it, and we listened.

We are pleased to announce the long-awaited Alipay support for Slacker Backer campaign is starting today.

In addition to that, the webpage will have Chinese language support, making our webpage easier for Chinese speakers to use.

The contribution through Alipay will also be counted towards the Stretch Goal.
    Be sure to check it out!

You can access the Slacker Backer campaign from here.
    Your comments and feedback is what keeps on improving the Shenmue III project .

Please keep them coming!

Shenmue III Team

Motion Capture and Care Packages

Hello Everyone,

The season of the cherry blossoms is here, and as the flowers bloom and rain their pink petals across Japan, Shenmue III turns forward, making progress and new friends.

The Moves

First, the big news this month is that the motion capture system testing has begun! We have a couple of pics here to get things started.

Right now we are testing out one of motion capture systems to see which one will give the best fit. The pics below are from the test of a new motion tracking system by Xsens. The system is highly responsive with little noise interference, making the process go very smoothly. When the finalist has been chosen, we will be sure to let you know in a future update.

motion-capture-image-300x225.png

motion-capture-image-computer-300x225.png

motion-capture-image-computer-man-300x225.png

motion-capture-image-computer-four-300x225.png

Mo’ mo-cap coming up, so stay here!

The Mail

Again we want to thank everyone for constant support. It is always a pleasure to get your messages of encouragement and to see the community growing ever larger. The mail has been overflowing lately, and we would like to share some of it with you today.

Show of support for Shenmue III from Bajiquan Grandmaster Wu Lian Zi

grandmaster-wu-lian-zi-200x300.jpg

Embroidery of a shenmue tree with tree swing

embroidery-shenmue-tree-300x200.jpg

Guilin cormorant fishers in their boat. Their clothing is of the Ming era.

guilin-cormorant-fishers-in-there-boat-300x200.jpg

A gorgeous water color of Ryo and Iwao.

colour-painting-ryo-lwao-200x300.jpg

Friendship picture. The inscribed character means “friends.”

the-inscribed-character-means-friends-300x200.jpg

And finally, we have a re-post of the images from the MAGIC. Many of you have asked us for better quality files for sharing. We thank you for the feedback, and hope these make the cut.

shenmue-3-bailu-village-300x139.jpg

shenmue-3-bailu-village-farm-300x139.jpg

shenmue-3-bailu-village-sunshine-300x139.jpg

shenmue-3-shenmue-tree-300x139.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Before getting into the main part of the update, we would like to respond to two issues brought up by the community—the Shenmue III logo and voice audio options.

First for the Shenmue III logo. There have been many comments from Shenmue fans wanting the logo to match the original logos from Shenmue 1& 2. We have heard your calls and will of course put it on the to-do list. This particular issue will take some time, however, as game development is currently taking a front seat to other design issues. Designers and other parties will also need to be consulted with, so before we can give a more definite answer, we would ask you please give us some time.

The second issue receiving a lot of attention concerns the voice audio options. Many people have asked for there to be an option to switch between Japanese and English voicing. We understand how strongly people feel about this feature, and it is something we would like to include as well, but the inclusion of a dual audio option will ultimately come down to budgetary limitations. Whether it will be added or not, will need to be decided as development progresses.

Thank you very much everyone for your input! Please keep contacting us here at Kickstarter with your ideas, comments and suggestions!

And now on to our inside look for April…

Manabu Takimoto, Environment Architecture Designer for the Shenmue series and resident in-world character, is now fleshing out all the different set pieces that will become the backdrop for Shenmue III. If you missed his profile update during the campaign, the link is HERE, or catch his interview video below:

Let's drop by the office to see what he is up to!

manabu-takimoto.png

Manabu Takimoto at the drawing board.

yu-suzuki-environment-designer.jpg

In a meeting session with Yu, Manabu puts form to the ideas on the spot.

manabu-takimoto.-drawing.jpg

The coloring process. Here the soil of Guilin gets tilled, giving the land that “lived-in” feeling.

manabu-takimoto-office-more-drawings.png

In a matter of hours, a page in the world of Shenmue takes form on the desktop.

The May update for Shenmue 3 was so rubbish, it's not even worth posting. However, Digital Foundry have posted an interesting retro video on the technical prowess of the original game.

A very info-light video but nice to hear that development of the game kicked into gear at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Great news about the battles and facial expressions coming together!!!!

Doodleking wrote: »
    Great news about the battles and facial expressions coming together!!!!

Not sure if you're being serious, my sarcasm detector seems to be malfunctioning!

I'd be worried if we don't see a more final looking kind of build by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I'd be worried if we don't see a more final looking kind of build by the end of the year.

I wouldn't expect a final looking build until this time next year at least. This game only existed on paper 12 months ago. It takes at least 2 years to make a game the size this is going to be at least, and the team looks to be very very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Not sure if you're being serious, my sarcasm detector seems to be malfunctioning!

That is very unrealistic imo, as mentioned, it takes years to develop a game. When they said 2017, I said no way. I'd be shocked if it's out next year, unless they do something silly like going down the episodes route.

• Advertisement

I don't mean necessarily a playable build but a build closer to Alpha maybe. All we have had so far are environments.

I do think it will get delayed quite a bit though and be a small game.

Not a very interesting video this month but good to see an AM2 veteran back with Shenmue. Also, the briefiest of brief glimpses of Shenhua at around the 2:49 ish mark.

Hello Everyone,

Taking a look at end credits of Shenmue you may noticed this man’s name—Keiji Okayasu. He was the Game Director for Shenmue I, then played a big role through most of Shenmue II, and has now joined the production team for Shenmue III. We are very happy to have back this Shenmue veteran who helped deliver the goods the first time around, and look forward to him doing it again.

So, this month we would like to give an interview with Keiji to get to know a little bit more about him, and see what he hopes to accomplish as a director for Shenmue III.

Good little update this month, the first QTE looks like a recreation of one from Shenmue 2 which suggests that they may be starting the new game from the start of Disc 4 of Shenmue 2. That is....interesting because if that is the case, the ending of Shenmue 2 will be reimagined.

The second little clip looks like a crazy QTE altogether.

Cautiously optimistic.

QpQ1Jfu.jpg

Dinner in Japan Reward Report

Greetings Everyone!

The 16th of September was the Dinner with Yu Suzuki in Tokyo reward day, and we wanted to share how the day went. Shenmue III backers from around the world came to Japan for the event that would be a day filled with Japanese and Chinese culture in the historical centers of Kamakura and China Town in Yokohama. Yu-san was there to conduct the tour and of course talk Shenmue.
    peter-and-adam-show-off-their-tattoos.jpg

Searching around the hotel lobby where everyone was meeting up, who do we find, but someone with “Shenmue” tattooed on their arm in Japanese! From the first, we were already beside ourselves with how deeply their love for Shenmue ran.

shopping-with-yu-suzuki-san.jpg

shenmue-3-team-and-10k-backers.jpg

After the meeting and greeting, the first stop was the ancient city of Kamakura. Among the heritage rich streets lay Komachi-dori where everyone took in the atmosphere of the local vendors while making their way to Tsurugaoka Hachimangū, the most prominent and important shrine in the region. Perhaps the scene may conjure up some Dobuita memories?

shenmue-3-team-and-10k-backers-in-japan.jpg
    The Great Buddha!

shenmue-3-team-and-10k-sneak-peak-laptop-wow.jpg

shenmue-3-team-and-10k-backers-japan-night-life.jpg

Having experienced the best of old world Japan, it was on to China Town. Yu-san livened the ride over bringing up everyone’s favorite topic of conversation.

shenmue-3-team-and-10k-backers-japan-night-life-streets.jpg&

yu-suzuki-talks-about-chinese-culture.jpg

shenmue-3-team-and-10k-backers-listen-internally-to-for-shenmue-ideas.jpg

Yu-san talks Shenmue and Chinese culture as they stroll through Japan’s largest China Town.

And the day is topped off with a Chinese round table dinner. The Shenmue talk heats up as Yu-san listens intently to everyone’s ideas.

The day spent with the group was a reaffirmation in the wellspring of devotion we are so proud to share, and it pitched up the fighting spirit of all on the development team. It was great opportunity that came out of the crowdfunding, do-it-together experience, and for that we give thanks.

So the push forward continues, and we ask again for your continued support that we may put Shenmue III in your hands!

The guy who has his mouth open looking at the laptop is Irish I believe. He is Peter, the self-professed Ireland's best Shenmue fan on Shenmuedojo.net. Some interesting comments coming from the dinner too.

Looking good for some new information or possible teaser at PSX in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

The guy who has his mouth open looking at the laptop is Irish I believe.

You could have also said that the only Irish-looking person is Peter, from Ireland.

AN INTERESTING POST FROM SHENMUE DOJO ABOUT THE GAME FROM THE BACKER DINNER

I think one thing thay can be said is what Yu mentioned about the look.

It was a very good conversation, that really made me feel good (this was said before we seen what was on the laptop). Yu went into a bit of detail about the colour of Shenmue, which I found very interesting. He said about how Shenmue has a specific look, which all stems from the colour pallette. He wants Shenmue colours to feel "wet", or "moist", in that you can feel the colours on the screen. Taste them even. He said that Unreal has a great colour editor but they didn't quite have the Shenmue colours he was looking for. But eventually they did crack it and in what we seen, it was completely Shenmue.

That's what I meant by when I was asked about if this game was essentially "Shenmue". It really is. This is where the brilliance and importance of Yu at the helm of this is so vital to this being a true Shenmue 3. Another director may have thought something looked well, but wasn't quite Shenmue. But it really is.

Another thing to mention is Matt is 100% completely right. He made the point of saying this was a little old. This was backed up by Yosuke who cut it. Now that means what we seen was completed around June, which is just 4 months after MAGIC where we seen a cut of Shenhuas home and the fishing pond etc which Yu confirmed was completed the day before. Now with that info, and seeing what they can do in 4 months..... I swear when you see it you will drop a bollock. Not only that, but they are now hiring more staff? Sweet Jesus this game..... I can't wait until all of this stuff is public so we can all be on this level of excited that we are.

I'm late again with the update. Not great but it's short so here it is:

With Halloween upon us, it is time to get into the spirit, so…
    happy-halloween-special.jpg

Witch Shenhua and Pumpkin Patch Chai

And yes, that is a Kenji Miyawaki original!

But one person who will not be going out to do trick-or-treat this year is this man.

yu-suzuki-signing.jpg

Yu-san has been hard at work to bring us the biggest treat of all, and now he has begun the momentous undertaking that is the signed rewards!

Everyday Yu-san has been putting his signature to the Kenji Miyawaki illustrations, and thanks to your gracious and sincerely appreciated support, the number of illustrations to be signed is reaching the 5,000 mark!

Maybe next year Yu-san will be able to go trick-or-treating in his Ryo costume…

From all of us of us here, Happy Halloween!

• Advertisement

MEGA VISIONS:
    In a podcast with Fauxpop Media, Adam Sipione (one of your fellow Shenmue fans on the trip) mentioned that Yu Suzuki was quite eager to show off some material that hasn't been shown off to the public. Is there anything that you can share with us, and if you can't, can you give us your own reaction to what he showed off?

PETER CAMPBELL:
    Unfortunately yes, YSNET and Suzuki-San were kind enough to give us their trust, and show us some unseen Shenmue III material at various points of the day. I am not legally bound to keep what we seen to myself, but being given that trust was an amazing gift, and not something I would breach. But what we were shown...

...Jaw dropping.

I don't mean that in a fanboy manner either. People have no idea what they have been able to achieve, and what's about to drop in the very near future. In my wildest dreams, what I imagined Shenmue III looking like, what we seen was on a totally different level. YSNET have been deliberately quiet since the summer of 2015, and as someone who prefers the less is more approach, I feel fully justified with that after what we were shown. It's insane, and I honestly cannot wait until the fans see it!!

Advertisement